Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

State of the game

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How bad does it have to get before people start really turning off for good? Unfortunately the love for football is so strong that people will never give up and so when does the pushback from fans begin.
Just seeing the soucek red card at west ham, what if that was us? There seems to be more than one a week of these decisions. The overall game though, with fouls for nothing, players falling over at the slightest touch, complete gamesmanship getting others sent off, surgical offside decisions, soft red cards.
Now add in the project big picture, the attempts at a european super league.
When do fans think enough is enough.
This is supposed to be a contact sport, always being the best in a balance of physicality and technical ability. Think of how up for a game you would be after a player puts in a big tackle. You cheer it as much as a goal sometimes. Those days are gone, and gone in such a short space of time.
When people use the excuse 'its a modern football foul' but that doesnt mean its right or good to watch?
Media constantly talking about top six, var, all of the above.
This is a very negative rant and maybe just me but im only 27 and yet football has completely changed even in my time watching it and such a short space of time.
Would be great to know others thoughts if a majority of fans are thinking this?
Having seen a replay of Chelsea v Leeds 1970 i am not advocating this but surely somewhere in the middle??
Using example of my era of watching keane and vieira, football seemed to mean a lot more. The battle was relished, even football clubs and the fans meant things to the players but we feel so far removed from this.
Is this an overreaction or are we witnessing the slow death of the game?

Rant over

Hazza

Reaction score
I find it very hard to watch and enjoy any non Wolves game.
I did watch Swansea v Norwich last night and actually enjoyed it more than some of the games from the Premier League that I’ve seen recently
Not sure if it’s football generally or the league were in. Obviously I wouldn’t want to return to the Championship and I have no idea what the answer is but something has to change.
I do think as well watching a game in the ground is so much better than on TV and maybe that is what we’re missing most , just being there.

Last edited:

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
FFP and how money has corrupted the game we so love, sometimes I think it is meaningless and impossible to compete with the big 6. The divide is massive and the cartel will make sure it remains that way.

But once you chose your team you are married to them forever and it's difficult to break from supporting your team.

It is getting much harder to love the game like we used to...

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If City were to start running away at the top and a bottom three become really "formalised" a lot of people would stop watching on TV

WetheralWolf

Reaction score
I agree....can anybody who reads other forums comment on if it there are the same or similar posts on them?

Maybe just a lockdown and there being no fans is a factor in behaviour too..

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good heartfelt post about the demise of the once beautiful game and, this time, not from an old fogey! I think these last few seasons what with the flagrant abuse of VAR, referees showing incompetence, both of which smack of cheating and, worst of all, the shenanigans of the big 6 with tactics like 'project big picture' (aka ******) to blackmail the rest of this wonderful footballing country, in order to ensure their enduring success, all these recent events have made us all feel the same. We, football fans in general, have no control whatsoever on where football goes from now on, especially when we cannot really vote with our feet, cos that would be to the detriment of OUR football clubs, and because we just love the game too much, despite current evils. It's a drug. No point getting away from it. Not quite LSD or a nice bit of weed but an habitual one nonetheless. It's in our blood and that's why the ****ers at the "top" can take the ****. Bit like supermarkets want to with food supply. There will be fans lost to the game, of course, but it will survive. It may mutate into something we don't get or like but it will survive. I keep it simple. I love Wolves. Don't really care about football. Watched far too many games where we never played football anyway!

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well said mate. I keep asking myself when the breaking point will be and the answer genuinely is never. I cannot imagine not caring about or loving the wolves. That said, a point where I no longer go to the match due to the state of the game? It's conceivable. The biggest thing to me is VAR. If it continues as it is I'll just go to local non league

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll be a Wolves fan til the day I die. Not so sure I’ll be a football fan on that day (and that’s not a dig at our current incumbents).

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a good indicator of how genuine football fans feel about things is when we are contacted in the summer about ST renewal. If we've got 20K ST holders (?) I reckon perhaps 10- 20% will not renew, but this, of course, may not be all down to football issues as we come out of lockdown.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again, love Wolves, hate what football has become!
I've very nearly had enough myself.
Poor refs, diabolical VAR decisions/ non-decisions and what would've been regarded as blatant cheating/diving 20 years ago, being rewarded and now considered clever gamesmanship....well at least when the favoured few do it anyway!
I fully expect yet another ****show of a tucking up from the ref and VAR in tomorrow's game v Leicester, so much so I'm actually considering giving watching it a miss!

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a good indicator of how genuine football fans feel about things is when we are contacted in the summer about ST renewal. If we've got 20K ST holders (?) I reckon perhaps 10- 20% will not renew, but this, of course, may not be all down to football issues as we come out of lockdown.

While I agree a lot of us are disenchanted I think there will be more than enough enthusiasm. We have 22.5k ST holders and 10k on list. It’ll be more about what capacity is and how fans return

TooMutchBull

Reaction score
For me the mid 90's were the peak. It might be a touch nostalgic but I feel that back then...
The coverage of the game was entertaining and extensive without being saturated;
The money was astonishing without being abhorrent;
Having tactics was advisable without being essential;
The rivalry amongst fans was fierce but not visceral;
And the players were heroes whilst still having their feet on the ground.
Some amazing action from 92 to 98 before money and media took over entirely.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Received this em`ail from the FSA

ab9a9b01-e4f1-469b-b5a7-ee684de29cf3.png

European Super League: criticism mounts​

More details emerged this week of a breakaway European Super League consisting of 15 permanent teams – and the plans have drawn criticism from across the game.

Yesterday The Times said they had seen a copy of the latest iteration of a European Super League that would consist of 15 permanent founder teams and an additional five qualifiers.

Six English clubs would be offered up to £310 million each by JP Morgan to join the breakaway league and could earn as much as £213 million a season from it.

FSA chief executive Kevin Miles said: “This is the most advanced proposal we’ve yet seen for a potential European Super League and it’s something that should be of grave concern to supporters up and down the game."
It was confirmed today that the National League North and South have been suspended for two weeks - putting yet more strain on the non-league season

This follows on from Government facing growing calls from National League clubs to provide ongoing pandemic support in the form of grants, rather than the loans that have been promised under the Government’s Sports Winter Survival Package. Rather than become further indebted to play matches behind closed doors, there’s a growing fear that clubs could refuse to complete the season at the top levels of non-league as a result.

In a statement released last week, 12 National League North clubs laid out the issues facing clubs as a result of the losses incurred completing the season while pandemic restrictions continue.
UEFA: update on Euro 2020 ticketing

With Euro 2020 likely to face disruption from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, UEFA issued an update for ticket-holders this week with refunds likely to be issued if significant logistical changes are made to the tournament.

Premier League TV run continues

The Premier League announced this week that its current arrangement to show all games via its partner broadcasters will continue till the end of February.
Want access to funds for an event?

Fans for Diversity is a supporter-led campaign celebrating diversity in the game and we have a budget for club-specific activities - if you have an idea that needs funding we’d love to hear from you.

Email campaign coordinator Anwar Uddin via anwar.uddin@thefsa.org.uk
or call 0330 44 000 44.
#ICYMI - UxG

Relief came for Newport County’s Tom King this week, as the Welsh goalie finally ended his goal-scoring drought which was stretching back more than 6 years and over 10,000 minutes of senior football. Now that he’s broken his duck, hopefully he can tap into a rich vein of goal-scoring form.
Twitter
Facebook
Website
Copyright © 2021 Football Supporters' Association, All rights reserved.
You have opted in to receive the FSA's newsletter.

Our mailing address is:
Football Supporters' Association
1 Ashmore Terrace
Stockton Road
Sunderland, Tyne & Wear SR2 7DE
United Kingdom
Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's only because of the boredom of the situation we're all in that most of us continue to watch it in its current state.

It was touched upon in another post. But negative tactics, social media etc has absolutely destroyed the entertainment side of football. No player is able to express any form of personality. And VAR has just added to that 10 fold.

The game peaked 15-25 years ago. Now, well, it's just out of habit isn't it, that we all continue to tune in.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree....can anybody who reads other forums comment on if it there are the same or similar posts on them?

Maybe just a lockdown and there being no fans is a factor in behaviour too..
i do think with being locked down for so long that folk see things more than they ever did before the lockdown,
I look on a local non league forum and its just the same views,

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind if the game’s actually has 90minsbof action but the time wasting is so painful it makes my **** boil and that includes us doing it

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I agree a lot of us are disenchanted I think there will be more than enough enthusiasm. We have 22.5k ST holders and 10k on list. It’ll be more about what capacity is and how fans return
Of course there will be more people wanting seats than availability. I wasn't saying that, what I said was I think there will be a reasonable % of fans who will not renew for whatever reasons. How can things on here get taken out of context?

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How bad does it have to get before people start really turning off for good? Unfortunately the love for football is so strong that people will never give up and so when does the pushback from fans begin.
Just seeing the soucek red card at west ham, what if that was us? There seems to be more than one a week of these decisions. The overall game though, with fouls for nothing, players falling over at the slightest touch, complete gamesmanship getting others sent off, surgical offside decisions, soft red cards.
This is supposed to be a contact sport, always being the best in a balance of physicality and technical ability. Think of how up for a game you would be after a player puts in a big tackle. You cheer it as much as a goal sometimes. Those days are gone, and gone in such a short space of time.
When people use the excuse 'its a modern football foul' but that doesnt mean its right or good to watch?
This is a very negative rant and maybe just me but im only 27 and yet football has completely changed even in my time watching it and such a short space of time.
Having seen a replay of Chelsea v Leeds 1970 i am not advocating this but surely somewhere in the middle??
Using example of my era of watching keane and vieira, football seemed to mean a lot more. The battle was relished, even football clubs and the fans meant things to the players but we feel so far removed from this.

Rant over
I hate modern football, Grealish was laughing today after he 'won' a foul. The ridiculous thing is I think he would have been fine in normal pre bs football. McGinn ran past three players in a 'half fall down' position and chose when to drop.
Anyway, two things sum up football now for me:
Peter Walton on bt, whenever they talk to that arrogant ace hole it makes me want to vomit.
I've missed my 12 year old sons football. tomorrow I sould be watching lads giving their all and enjoying the game we love, no ridiculous rules and no pathetic gamesmanship (well some do, but they look silly)

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind if the game’s actually has 90minsbof action but the time wasting is so painful it makes my **** boil and that includes us doing it
Yes. One aspect of the game that irritates me enormously. Time wasting.

Why has no one at the head of our game got the brain to tackle this and all the other big issues.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For a while now I have thought that the game that I love more than any other is nowhere near the same as it was 10 years ago.

I just get the impression that the rule makers/law makers or whatever you want to call them just sit behind a desk with nothing else better to do than think of nonsensical rules to justify their massive salaries and spoil ‘The Beautiful Game’. I think the word is ‘Jobsworth’. How many rules have been changed already in mid season? Handball rule for one (so I won’t mention Kilmans handball v Leicester).

Players go down after the slightest touch and most games are very much stop and start with so many free kicks.

This seasons Premier League has highlighted so many flaws in the beautiful game with the main one IMO being very poor referees and their decisions. I don’t think VAR has helped with the flow of the game after goals are scored, but it has highlighted how wrong so many of the referees original decisions have been.

I used to buy my Sunday paper without fail and spend a couple of hours reading all the football news starting with the back page. I would read most of the match reports, the transfer gossip and the pundits column. I haven’t bought one Sunday paper this season!

I haven’t watched any Match of the Day at all this season either. Just no appetite for it.

I am writing this season off, but will still watch and support my beloved home town team. The rule makers, the law makers, the jobsworths and the referees should all get together and give the game that we love back to us.

2020/21 is a football season we will never, ever forget but keep the faith.

Last edited:

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't forget the constant screaming at the slightest touch, really has been more noticeable and is truly pathetic.

I am a bit fed up of where the gane has gone and is heading. I think a huge majority are but as soon as fans can go back to the stadiums they will be sell outs and it will be a better watch on TV ansbe more enjoyable from that point

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure if its because of lockdown but I can't bring myself to watch other games, maybe the odd 5/10 minutes here or there.

Then you get the refereeing decisions and it just feels a bit meh. Again I don't know if it's lockdown thats making it worse but it's making the game worse.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the erosion of genuinely competitive leagues to be replaced by utterly predictable processions headed by the Usual Suspects year in year out, and everything and everybody that facilitates and has facilitated that, that puts me right off. Find it difficult to see me having more than a very passing interest in another ten years. It's no longer genuine competition, but something contrived and stage-managed for the media conglomerates, the sponsors and the advertisers, where they're busy unthinkingly murdering the very goose that lays the golden eggs.

Tomcat

Groupie
Reaction score
I think the obscene amounts of cash swilling around in the modern game has made me disillusioned ( I recently read that Lionel Messi's 4 year contract at Barcelona is worth around £500 million!)
With so much money at stake all the lying, cheating & corruption was bound to follow.
I've loved following Wolves since 1967 & have fond memories of meeting a few mates in the pub Saturday lunchtime & deciding last minute to go to the match & pay a couple of quid on the door, or making plans on a friday night for an away match the next day.
If we won then happy days & if we lost then it was a few quid gone but at least had the crack with the lads.
These days (non-covid) if I want to go to a match I need to get tickets a week or 2 in advance after hanging on the phone for an age & pay £30(plus booking fee) or more for the privilege (similar to what I paid in the 70's for a season ticket). No chance of an away match unless I pay a load more for an away season ticket!
Even to watch them on tv is increasingly expensive as I would have to subscribe to sky, bt sport & amazon to get most games.
This all means that if, after I've shelled out loads of cash & pre-arranged a ticket, Wolves play badly, then I get the feeling I've been ripped off, where years ago I'd just have lost 2 quid & a Saturday afternoon.
I love Wolves, always have & always will, but I have plenty of other interests in my life which may take over if the football gravy train keeps rolling.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the obscene amounts of cash swilling around in the modern game has made me disillusioned ( I recently read that Lionel Messi's 4 year contract at Barcelona is worth around £500 million!)
With so much money at stake all the lying, cheating & corruption was bound to follow.
I've loved following Wolves since 1967 & have fond memories of meeting a few mates in the pub Saturday lunchtime & deciding last minute to go to the match & pay a couple of quid on the door, or making plans on a friday night for an away match the next day.
If we won then happy days & if we lost then it was a few quid gone but at least had the crack with the lads.

These days (non-covid) if I want to go to a match I need to get tickets a week or 2 in advance after hanging on the phone for an age & pay £30(plus booking fee) or more for the privilege (similar to what I paid in the 70's for a season ticket). No chance of an away match unless I pay a load more for an away season ticket!
Even to watch them on tv is increasingly expensive as I would have to subscribe to sky, bt sport & amazon to get most games.
This all means that if, after I've shelled out loads of cash & pre-arranged a ticket, Wolves play badly, then I get the feeling I've been ripped off, where years ago I'd just have lost 2 quid & a Saturday afternoon.
I love Wolves, always have & always will, but I have plenty of other interests in my life which may take over if the football gravy train keeps rolling.

Just think, there is already at least one whole generation of fan that can never have experienced the above in bold, if they have never experienced it they aren’t going to miss it and most probably have no clue what it means. It is without doubt the biggest thing I miss about the ‘old‘ days, the spontaneity to be able to go.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just think, there is already at least one whole generation of fan that can never have experienced the above in bold, if they have never experienced it they aren’t going to miss it and most probably have no clue what it means. It is without doubt the biggest thing I miss about the ‘old‘ days, the spontaneity to be able to go.
That’s exactly what’s happening. It takes all of those years to mould the game into this Americanised game show we watch now. Certain teams and players are evolving because they know the ridiculous will favour them to gain a percentage or decision that could win the game. I can only see it getting worse.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with so much of what has been written here. VAR has just accelerated the whole thing though 100% by removing probably the most beautiful element of football compared to other sports, it’s fluidity, and instead turned it into a maths lesson. 0.01% offside, that’s offside. It his his arm 0.00001% below where the shoulder blade ends, must be a penalty. I cannot put into words how much I despise that system.

The other thing that no one has mentioned, and I will probably get shot down by some for saying this but hey ho, but it’s all the PC, woke, politicised nonsense that’s killing it to.

You like women’s football, go watch women’s football, absolutely no problem with that. Don’t however try and virtually merge the two and make out that anyone who refuses to accept it is some sort of 1970s misogynistic dinosaur.

You want to take the knee, go on a Black Lives Matter protest and do it there, don’t try and bring it into football.

It’s a perfect storm. The money, the incompetent officials, VAR, the political nonsense. Unfortunately I can only see it getting worse.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah football is losing me, I used to watch football from all over the world but now I only watch Wolves. I can't stand what they have done to the game making it virtually non contact, can't stand the media circus Sky have created around a handful of clubs and the annoying fandom created because of this

I think football is eating itself, I don't think the younger generations care as much about it as we did in our day and the game will struggle in the near future

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Rant over
Totally agree, I’m finding it increasingly difficult to watch football other than Wolves

The levels of cheating and acceptance of that cheating as good play is now ingrained.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There needs to be a link to supporters, to the governing bodies of the EFL FA abd the refs, but we are the great unwashed, although without our money the game dies.

They have their echo chamber and believe all is great, there again the football family is so divided we don’t all unify in a show of displeasure. I remember the turn your back on a game protest that never went anywhere.

Really struggling to enjoy the non fouls given and the players (ours included) surrounding the ref for cards. And the time wafting kills me, one day we will get a Clive Thomas who may have balls and add 15 minutes injury time!

And don’t start me on shirt pulling on corners or shielding (obstruction) the ball out for a goal kick

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agree with more or less everything above and would also like to add it would appear Nuno had a pretty good point a few weeks ago. Mr Lee Mason was on VAR last night. And Mike Dean wasn't going to miss the opportunity to make a headline

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
The shoehorning of politics and agendas into sport in general, but particularly football, really boil my /$%#. I can't wait for the day when the players come out to a Tory Party Political broadcast or a rendition of the Red Flag, perhaps we could get rid of Wolfie and have someone in a Boris Johnson or Sir Keir Starmer costume parading round the pitch. Football, the FA and the Premier League should be well aware of the indiscretions of their predecessors, when they forced the England team to do the Nazi salute when playing Germany away in the 1930's. That was a great bit of PR. The only player who refused to salute was Stan Cullis, who was unceremoniously dropped.

D

Deleted member 4099

The shoehorning of politics and agendas into sport in general, but particularly football, really boil my /$%#. I can't wait for the day when the players come out to a Tory Party Political broadcast or a rendition of the Red Flag, perhaps we could get rid of Wolfie and have someone in a Boris Johnson or Sir Keir Starmer costume parading round the pitch. Football, the FA and the Premier League should be well aware of the indiscretions of their predecessors, when they forced the England team to do the Nazi salute when playing Germany away in the 1930's. That was a great bit of PR. The only player who refused to salute was Stan Cullis, who was unceremoniously dropped.
Me too let’s they wouldn’t be able to force this if fans were in the ground as it would lead to disorder. I’m cancelling sky when my contract is up. IPTV or the radio. I’m not paying to be preached at.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course there will be more people wanting seats than availability. I wasn't saying that, what I said was I think there will be a reasonable % of fans who will not renew for whatever reasons. How can things on here get taken out of context?

Okay NNW apologies I probably misunderstood, didn’t mean to take it out of context. Love and peace ✌️

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was watching MOTD this morning and my daughter, who has no interest in football at all, was in the room.
the Newcastle game was on, and the point where almiron got a slight touch on the chest. He went down holding his neck.
pawson bought it hook line and sinker, free kick and booking for Southampton player in the book.

now up pipes my daughter - “why’s he holding his neck? No one touched his neck”.
me - cause they are ****ing cheats trying to get other players booked/ sent off

bit later on - West Ham game and soucek red card. Up she pipes again - “what have they sent him off for? I know nothing about football, but even I can see that that shouldn’t be a red card”

just about sums up the modern game, and seems to be getting worse season on season.

I watched villa arsenal game yesterday and lost count of the number of times the commentator mentioned greasy being the most fouled player. Was normally at the point when the showed the slow motion replay of him completing the swan dive, legs spread, twist at the hips to scream at the ref, with arms outstretched even before he hits the floor. They then proceed to justify him going down at the slightest touch.

It is ridiculous state of the game, the players, the rules, the refs, the chewing of gum ;) and don’t get me started on the pundits and experts!!

iamthenewno2

Reaction score
Don't forget the constant screaming at the slightest touch, really has been more noticeable and is truly pathetic.

I am a bit fed up of where the gane has gone and is heading. I think a huge majority are but as soon as fans can go back to the stadiums they will be sell outs and it will be a better watch on TV ansbe more enjoyable from that point
If a player goes down in the area and screams or tries to claim a penalty from the ref and no penalty is given then it is a yellow, it would take a few weeks and some guts from the ref but should sort at least that cheating out.

Back
Top Bottom