Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Starting Strikers...

J

jbarnettuk1984

Come on then. Who do we think will be the forward line V Watford on the opening day?

It seems to me that Mick will have selection problems ALL over the pitch when it comes to kick off.

From the reports of the Cheltenham game it would appear Andy Keogh is a given starter. Yet less then a week earlier everyone was raving about the Bothroyd/Eastwood partnership.

There have also been a few shouts for Elliot now he's got his name on the scoresheet, and lets not forget, andy is the only one of our strikers (who would realistically start) who hasn't got his name on the scoresheet pre-season to date.

For me it would have to be Keogh and Eastwood. Although i know Eastwood needs to work up his fitness, he seems to have the ability to get a goal from nothing. And with a hardworking Keogh next to him i think that partnership will really work.

Thoughts?

P

PabloWolfo

Either Keogh & Eastwood or Frankowski & Johnson. I can't make my mind up, yet.

D

Del Woppio

My biggest thought is "how many times will somebody repeat this thread between now and August 10th."

I would expect Keogh and Eastwood to start, with Bothroyd and Elliot on the bench.

K

Kent_wolves_29

I think people forget more thought goes into picking the team than just picking the best. That sounds a bit silly but each player has a certain attribute that can benefit the team's performance. For example, if a team has two centre halves that maybe on the small side, the opposing team might want to go for height. If they have people at the back that are slow then the oppposition may go for pace.

My point here is that MM will study Watford's "possible" line-up and pick a team which he thinks is likely breach any weakness. So it may not be best front two that start but the players who he thinks has something in their locker that will benefit the team against the opposition in question - in this case Watford.

In view of this, all strikers at the club are in line to start, it's just down to MM who he thinks can be most effective against the defence that is put before them.

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The question is who will partner Keogh? He is a given starter.

S

simonh1877

for me keogh is a starter in my view i would play if fit steven elliot gr8 little player and i think wolves have done well in getting him, however you could play keogh down the left this would then leave space to play eastwood upfront with elliot

The Bear

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too hard to say at the minute. Plus we still have friendlies to play.

J

jlovatt

I think people forget more thought goes into picking the team than just picking the best. That sounds a bit silly but each player has a certain attribute that can benefit the team's performance. For example, if a team has two centre halves that maybe on the small side, the opposing team might want to go for height. If they have people at the back that are slow then the oppposition may go for pace.

My point here is that MM will study Watford's "possible" line-up and pick a team which he thinks is likely breach any weakness. So it may not be best front two that start but the players who he thinks has something in their locker that will benefit the team against the opposition in question - in this case Watford.

In view of this, all strikers at the club are in line to start, it's just down to MM who he thinks can be most effective against the defence that is put before them.

Agreed.

D

Del Woppio

But by the same token, could we not expect Boothroyd to base the decision on his centre-half pairing around our 'best' striking partnership?

J

jbarnettuk1984

i dont think MM will wait until every game to see who the opposing defenders are if two of our strikers are on fire. a good striker should be able to score against whatever defence is put infront of you. bully did it for years.
so if eastwood and keogh are on fire - they shouldn't NOT be picked cos elliot 'may' play better against a certain defence...

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally would go for the best 2 that can form a partnership together. IMO they would then be first choice. I don't see the point of breaking up a pairing who have developed an 'understanding' with each other.

F

Flitwick Wolf

It will be Keogh and Eastwood.

I want Bothroyd and Eastwood to start v Watford.

glasgowwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keogh and Eastwood....

Bench Bothroyd and Elliot

Ward is still very inexperienced, hi dod though show signs of being an excellent finisher.

He may go out on loan to gain experience, with an immediate re-call option.
He has 4 very experienced strikers in front of him, so one has to assume he will not feature much this season, he has a lot of potential a loan deal mey be the best for him.

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like Ward will be starting left-midfield vs Watford.

J

jbarnettuk1984

yeah i believe ward is now first choice left winger as jarvis is crocked for the time being.
people who have seen him there in the friendlies - is he as good/better than mcindoe on the left?! can't imagine he is myself - he hasn't got the pace.

glasgowwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't like playing players out of position. Miller left wing.

if Jarvis is crocked then Jones should play left wing

B

broughtonwolf

Have mentioned this before elsewhere but Bothroyd played with success on left wing at Charlton - so maybe an option for us if Jarvis injured.

glasgowwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difference being that Ward used to play left wing for Boh's

If that is the case then it may be why Mcindoe was sold.

I like the look of Ward as a striker, he finishes very well.

Lets see how he plays, it's either him or Daniel Jones for Left Wing.

how long will Jarvis be out for ?

D

Daytripper

Have mentioned this before elsewhere but Bothroyd played with success on left wing at Charlton - so maybe an option for us if Jarvis injured.

Mick likes wingers who can work back and help the full backs so doubt very much he'd entertain the idea of lazy jay tracking the opposition full back

D

Deleted member 3751

Is that called sitting on the fence?!:confused:

Have a feeling Bothroyd will start with Keogh. Bothroyd's done well in the friendlies so far and it does seem that he's got his head down. Keogh's apparently played well but could do with a goal and I think it's between him and Elliot to start with Jay. Eastwood might still be getting up to speed at the moment, seeing as he had that long lay off with his back

J

jlovatt

freddy is not going to be fully fit so expect him on the bench, with jay.

keogh and elliott will start up front against watford though i doubt this to be the case for most the season.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to say yet, I genuinely think Mick hasn't made his mind up yet and all 4 strikers will get a chance tomorrow night and/or on Saturday and if any of them fill their boots in these games they will most likely start against Watford.

J

jbarnettuk1984

freddy is not going to be fully fit so expect him on the bench, with jay.

keogh and elliott will start up front against watford though i doubt this to be the case for most the season.
so you think the team that started v cheltenham is the team that will start v watford? (more or less)

W

WKET

It will be Keogh and Elliot,Eastwood on bench until match fit which he clearly isnt on Saturdays performance.

E

Emperor Wolf

If Freddy not fit enough 11 August,then Bothroyd for me.
Otherwise,Freddy.
Keogh is a given.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although I expect Eastwood to score more goals than Elliott over the course of the season, I would not be surprised if MM started with Elliott and Keogh with Jay and Freddie as "impact" players to come off the bench.

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It annoyed me a little on Saturday that Mick left Keogh on for the 90 minutes.

We all know Keogh is fitter than Eastwood and Elliott yet he gves Keogh 90 minutes and Elliott 60/65 and Eastwood 25/30 minutes.

I really like Keogh but he doesn't score goals and my worry is that Mick will continue to play him.

I really don't think we will get to see an Eastwood/Elliott, Bothroyd/Eastwood, Elliott/Eastwood partnership unless there is an injury to Keogh, which if he doesn't score in the first 5/6 games is wrong imho.

Deutsch Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scoring goals isn't the be all and end all for strikers...Teddy Sheringham rarely used to get more than 12-15 goals in a season but easily created more for his teammates.

Keogh is the most technically adept forward we have and could link up with any of the other strikers.

W

WKET

Keogh can play with all three,Elliot will be class for us and will become a favorite like he did at our Feeder club.Eastwood is an outright goal scorer who might just need a bit of time particularly if he fails to score at Molineux in the first few games that he plays.Just wonder if JB will work hard enough for MM to pick him week in week out.

One thing for sure,we have 4 of the best strikers in this division so we should see plenty goals this season.

R

Reach For The Sky

Scoring goals isn't the be all and end all for strikers...Teddy Sheringham rarely used to get more than 12-15 goals in a season but easily created more for his teammates.

Keogh is the most technically adept forward we have and could link up with any of the other strikers.

Keogh should get about 12 goals for us this season, barring injuries of course. I would hope that one of Eastwood or Elliott will get the 20 goals that fans seem to crave from a striker in a season and I think Bothroyd will get about 10 again. I'm not sure about Ward.

Keogh is more of a supporting striker/link up man than out and out goalscorer, as is Bothroyd. Eastwood and Elliott both have an eye for goal. I'm not sure about Ward.

Back
Top Bottom