Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed they are. Similar in concept to what Spurs did, but aiming to receive financial help from the government, which I guess their neighbours City did when moving to their stadium. Now, has anyone thought of doing the same at Molineux with the Asda site next door ;)

But, just to revisit that old idea for a moment, might there be a deal to be done with the Uni and government that sees Wolves build a new stadium on the site of the existing University Halls / Asda site, with the University building a new student village on the existing Molineux site, closer to their academic buildings and the city centre? It could be phased such that replacement halls for those being lost are built on the area in and around the North Bank, then the new stadium is built where the existing halls / Asda is, and finally old Molineux is demolished and the rest of the student village built. Sounds like an expensive and complicated plan, but might be attractive to investors.

Meanwhile Everton will have a beautiful stadium to grace the Chump.

I hope those Albion hooligans don't wreck it

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
then the new stadium is built where the existing halls / Asda is, and finally old Molineux is demolished and the rest of the student village built.
Don't think the covenant in place with the leasehold will allow that to happen.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As it stands, yes I agree, but since the council are a partner in any plans for Molineux Quarter, that can easily be addressed.

In the meantime, this is interesting…

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Are the grounds that Asda are on part of the Molineux family grounds or does the stadium cover it all? I realise that it wouldn't be on the covenant.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are the grounds that Asda are on part of the Molineux family grounds or does the stadium cover it all? I realise that it wouldn't be on the covenant.

The Asda land was sold separately to help pay off our debts at the time the council took ownership of the freehold where the stadium is. A deal to sell part of the land for retail development had been part of the Bhatti Brothers plan when they took over before then, but objections from retailers in the city centre caused the council to block it, and scuppered their plan to pay off our debts and rebuild the rest of the stadium.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
The Asda land was sold separately to help pay off our debts at the time the council took ownership of the freehold where the stadium is. A deal to sell part of the land for retail development had been part of the Bhatti Brothers plan when they took over before then, but objections from retailers in the city centre caused the council to block it, and scuppered their plan to pay off our debts and rebuild the rest of the stadium.
Does anybody know whatever happened to the Bhatti Brothers?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1-0 Nigeria v South Africa. Foolish penalty to give away and it is converted by the Super Eagles Captain.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if the Bhattis had just been given planning permission to let Asda build would we have been fine and had a statue of The Doog onthe Waterloo Rd now?

That’s a good question…

They had a plan, which on paper could have worked, but which looked hopelessly optimistic in hindsight. Had they sold the land for retail, and paid off the debt on the John Ireland stand, then the club could have continued to buy and sell players and likely we wouldn’t have slid down the leagues like we did. But to quickly redevelop the other stands, like they planned, I doubt they’d have had the funds because ultimately they didn’t have rich backers. They depended on the retail land sale and government grants. Perhaps more likely they could have fairly quickly sold the club onto another owner, for a profit, having cleared the debts. So maybe we could have had someone like SJH come in then, without the ignominy of dropping down the leagues.

Queensland Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Everything you say is correct.

There is now however significant funding committed to a range of redevelopment projects across the city centre. Whether they are all successful or cohesive is to be seen, but it should at least help business sentiment. As for Molineux, there is a master plan published for the Molineux Quarter by a partnership of Council, University and Wolves. It’s still waiting to be funded, but as the biggest part of it, the University recently restated its commitment to it.

Further up this thread are images of the master plan and links to recent press reports on it and the city funding.
Thanks Sussex - I’ll follow up

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score

Meanwhile Everton will have a beautiful stadium to grace the Chump.

I hope those Albion hooligans don't wreck it
Not allowed to call it "hospitality" because it conjures up images of elitism, wonder what they are charging for these "bar memberships" then??

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not allowed to call it "hospitality" because it conjures up images of elitism, wonder what they are charging for these "bar memberships" then??
I like it when you pay for a bar membership and they say you get free drinks as part of it.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Saw this and thought it was pertinent. Not only shows just how far behind Wolves are compared to most of the established Premier League clubs but also how limiting the economic ****show of the West Midlands on top of the lack of facilities really are to the club.
It's very pertinent considering how many posters on here complain about the club raising season ticket prices etc

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Main reason is that the town centre has a lot of bars that people go to and spend before a game. Only the North bank bar in ground really.

Spurs have built bars with fast service , food and also good choice of beers. Massive difference. Plus all the corporate as well

Let’s hope ground development (if we ever ) addresses this.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Main reason is that the town centre has a lot of bars that people go to and spend before a game. Only the North bank bar in ground really.

Spurs have built bars with fast service , food and also good choice of beers. Massive difference. Plus all the corporate as well

Let’s hope ground development (if we ever ) addresses this.
Yes I'm like a kid in a sweet shop at Spurs......don't spend a penny at any other ground I visit mostly...I've done a bit of overtime this month to give to Spurs on Saturday.....

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the second stadium thread. Endless comment about nothing. Fosun are going to invest zero in the stadium. Shi moaned about interest rates being too high when they were 0.1%. They are now 5% so cost to us likely double figures. Not a chance of investment

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the second stadium thread. Endless comment about nothing. Fosun are going to invest zero in the stadium. Shi moaned about interest rates being too high when they were 0.1%. They are now 5% so cost to us likely double figures. Not a chance of investment
Should be able to save 50m if our wage bill is only £40m so where’s the money fosun

Prem money is about 140/160m something doesn’t add up

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's very pertinent considering how many posters on here complain about the club raising season ticket prices etc
It’s not really. Putting aside the fact that our prices have gone up considerably since 21/22 when those figures were put together, I’m guessing that all it shows is we are way behind many clubs in regards to hospitality and facilities.

They miss out on £5 off me every home game simply because it’s impossible to get served in the south bank and the beer is **** anyway, so my lot have all stopped bothering with a half time beer.

Another issue is the fan base. Mainly midlands folk who aren’t interested in going for a meal at the ground or paying through the nose for a padded seat. Most turn up at 2.50-3.00 and **** off after the game. Much like Leicester and Villa in the table.

We aren’t a tourist club, and as much as that effects our finances we never will be.

Banging yet another 50 quid on season tickets this summer means **** all in terms of closing the gap to the big clubs in that table.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yes, basically you can't moan about not making enough per fan when you've completely failed to invest in any facilities.

Equally we can't moan about the failure to invest in facilities when nobody would pay for them anyway.

Comparing orselves to Spurs is silly, modelling ourselves on them is just plain madness.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't that an old article ? Anyway here are this seasons match tickets. Don't take any notice of the cheap standing tickets as there are non as its all season tickets in there.

The comment is old, but the price difference compared to the PL relatively accurate. A Bayern standing season ticket is €165 (£141) for this season. Their cheapest seated season ticket is €385 (£329). The table below makes for interesting reading.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Spurs who are top haven't won the league and Leeds in 7th are now in the championship. Leicester and Southampton above us the same. Villa below us etc. very weak correlation due to the fact ticket prices are not the biggest factor in club position and development.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think Fosun see the stadium as priority given they don’t own the stadium the council do.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom