Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all *******s isn't it? The Uni has no money and don't need the massive expansion of accommodation either side of the Stafford Rd. Even in the unlikely event they did, it's completely separate from the development of Molineux, which Fosun clearly have no interest in currently. So, much as I enjoy a hypothetical chat, don't believe any of this is remotely likely to happen.

The Uni doesn’t need the money itself. I was at Lancaster Uni 35 years ago. They were the first Uni to enter a partnership with a developer who began a programme of rebuilding and expanding their student accommodation over a decade or so. Lancaster Uni didn’t put up the capital, they provided land and the student demand to fill the accommodation. It was very successful. The Uni expanded and prospered.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Random idea I presume they’ve thought of, universities tend to have a bit of money don’t they, have we considered partnering with them as they own most of the land don’t they behind the Steve bull, so if they can put up the money we rebuild it to include loads of classrooms and stuff they can use all week round
My sons at college with the Norwich city community sports foundation, they have their classrooms at Carrow road - obviously it’s a big stadium that’s not in much use when there’s no game, so it makes sense.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The Uni doesn’t need the money itself. I was at Lancaster Uni 35 years ago. They were the first Uni to enter a partnership with a developer who began a programme of rebuilding and expanding their student accommodation over a decade or so. Lancaster Uni didn’t put up the capital, they provided land and the student demand to fill the accommodation. It was very successful. The Uni expanded and prospered.
Different times though. Wolves Uni is cutting courses and I doubt they really need more accommodation, most of the development seems to be Faulkland Street area where AFAIK the Uni doesn't own any of the land currently.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know this is dreaming but...

We didn't need to sell players last year because the receivers were at the door, it was simply to meet FFP needs. But this has generated real money which cannot be spent on players as we would again breach FFP. But money spent on Stadium development us not part of the calculation, so it could be spent on that. It would also increase revenue streams which would over time make more spending on players possible.

Just saying?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Different times though. Wolves Uni is cutting courses and I doubt they really need more accommodation, most of the development seems to be Faulkland Street area where AFAIK the Uni doesn't own any of the land currently.

It’s still happening with exactly the same model.

My daughter did her BSc at Swansea, who built an entirely new campus on the east side of the city using the same investment model over the past decade. My son did his BSc at Lincoln, who are continuing to expand a brand new campus across the Braefoot Bay Area of the city also using the same model. Variations of this model have been used across the massive Uni expansion since my wife and I graduated. Lancaster used its massive accommodation redevelopment and expansion to fund an equally large investment in teaching facilities, and as a result, it’s now a top 10 Uni in the annual ratings, up from a top 20 Uni when I was there.

Its simple. A student hall room costs upwards of £5k a year now. Add 5,000 students, and that’s a student accommodation revenue stream of £25m per year. Assume 80% occupancy for funding purposes, and that is £20m a year in near guaranteed income for the developer of the residences. That easily funds a student village development of £100-£150m with money set aside for planning gain, which in this case, is the pedestrian plaza over the ring road, and the associated rework of the roads around Molineux.

The Uni puts up zero capital, but can look forward to the increased revenue stream from course fees from those additional 5,000 students it can now offer courses to. For the Uni, that’s an annual income stream of £40m-£70m depending on the mix of home and foreign students, and it can use that to fund the additional teaching facilities and staff required.

The “only” thing the Uni needs to do, is to be sufficiently attractive to students to draw them in, rather than have them go somewhere else. A smart new student village well connected to the city, transport links, and refreshed entertainment venues, helps that. So their enthusiasm is clear.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

My daughter did her BSc at Swansea, who built an entirely new campus on the east side of the city using the same investment model over the past decade. My son did his BSc at Lincoln, who are continuing to expand a brand new campus across the Braefoot Bay Area of the city also using the same model. Variations of this model have been used across the massive Uni expansion since my wife and I graduated. Lancaster used its massive accommodation redevelopment and expansion to fund an equally large investment in teaching facilities, and as a result, it’s now a top 10 Uni in the annual ratings, up from a top 20 Uni when I was there.

Its simple. A student hall room costs upwards of £5k a year now. Add 5,000 students, and that’s a student accommodation revenue stream of £25m per year. Assume 80% occupancy for funding purposes, and that is £20m a year in near guaranteed income for the developer of the residences. That easily funds a student village development of £100-£150m with money set aside for planning gain, which in this case, is the pedestrian plaza over the ring road, and the associated rework of the roads around Molineux.

The Uni puts up zero capital, but can look forward to the increased revenue stream from course fees from those additional 5,000 students it can now offer courses to. For the Uni, that’s an annual income stream of £40m-£70m depending on the mix of home and foreign students, and it can use that to fund the additional teaching facilities and staff required.

The “only” thing the Uni needs to do, is to be sufficiently attractive to students to draw them in, rather than have them go somewhere else. A smart new student village well connected to the city, transport links, and refreshed entertainment venues, helps that. So their enthusiasm is clear.
I know, Host built Heantun Point, I assume on this model. I also suspect the number of University students in the country has peaked, if there is expansion it's probably in post-grads and mature students who aren't living in this sort of accommodation. Anyway doubt any of it is very relevant to some just using a fantasy Molineux in a picture of the area.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Only thing I’d add to that is I imagine universities (and developers moreso) will be looking at these more closely. In the last 12 months, Liverpool Uni, Bradford Uni, Coventry Uni and Derby uni have all had student accommodation blocks go into receivership. I know this because I’ve literally had to visit them myself when they have.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know, Host built Heantun Point, I assume on this model. I also suspect the number of University students in the country has peaked, if there is expansion it's probably in post-grads and mature students who aren't living in this sort of accommodation. Anyway doubt any of it is very relevant to some just using a fantasy Molineux in a picture of the area.

Only thing I’d add to that is I imagine universities (and developers moreso) will be looking at these more closely. In the last 12 months, Liverpool Uni, Bradford Uni, Coventry Uni and Derby uni have all had student accommodation blocks go into receivership. I know this because I’ve literally had to visit them myself when they have.

Post pandemic, and post Brexit, absolutely will such investments need to be looked at more rigorously.

One thing to keep in mind. There are different kinds of private investment in student accommodation halls. Some developments are entirely private entities, with no links to the Uni, and others are partnered with the University. The former are speculative, seeing the growth of a Uni and investing in accommodation which may or may not be offered through the university accommodation service. The latter have closer ties to the Uni, driven by the Uni identifying a need for more accommodation, and hence with some financial ties between developer and Uni. At Lincoln Uni, they have both, and the Uni often objects to the former speculative type because it risks over supplying the local market, damaging their own halls viability, or leaving students without accommodation if the private investor fails.

I think a number of the bankruptcies you’re referencing are the former, speculative type.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
Is that because of current ongoing financial problems or more of a knock on effect of covid though?
If the latter then expanding now might be a smart move if you are able too whilst others are struggling.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How does the development of the university help Molineux though?
Why would it encourage the uni or council or whoever to put money into a stadium development?
Does it really change anything, apart from perhaps some better facilities around molineux. Wouldn’t the club still need to find the same amount of funds either with or without these developments?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would it encourage the uni or council or whoever to put money into a stadium development?
Does it really change anything, apart from perhaps some better facilities around molineux. Wouldn’t the club still need to find the same amount of funds either with or without these developments?
Energy, prestige, momentuum, part of the reinvention of the city.

I bang on about this but to have a well-established Premier league club with a fabulous atmosphere is a big attraction in its own right. Coupled with the emergence of a new and youthful part of the city is a dynamic arrangement.

"Build it and they will come"

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Way back, when Fosun were talking about a 50k Molineux, the council told them that access around the stadium and to the city centre, would limit how big they could go. The concept of Molineux Quarter appeared, bringing with it a new pedestrian plaza over the ring road to address the access issues. But the council couldn’t afford to invest in that plaza, so it added tens of millions to any plan Fosun might have for Molineux as Wolves were expected to pay for it.

Wind the clock forward further, and the Molineux Quarter concept has evolved, bringing with it a 5,000+ student village, and plans to connect the Uni either side of the ring road, redevelop the Asda site, and a new multi storey car park on the corner of Waterloo Road and the ring road. If the Uni can gain funding for their plans, then they will sort out the access issues for Molineux, and create an attractive setting for a larger, redeveloped stadium. While Fosun may still not wish to invest themselves, it will make it far more attractive to potential partner investors, especially with £2.6bn of investment going in across the city centre.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Perhaps Fosun should invest in the Uni and associated facilities?

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my opinion, every time a new housing estate is built, a new school, Doctors surgery and dentist are promised as are parts of the propaganda to sell the houses, but often they never materialise.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my opinion, every time a new housing estate is built, a new school, Doctors surgery and dentist are promised as are parts of the propaganda to sell the houses, but often they never materialise.

How very true! This is a very real point which is being raised as part of the draft local plan put forward by the council in our area for review as we speak.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Image from this site

Jesus, that looks ****ing bleak.

Have the architects ever been to Wolverhampton? It's exposed and windy up there on the ring road, so building an open public square there would surely be daft? And that tent structure would be unusable most of the season.

I don't really understand the infrastructure argument. Not the potential for investment to drive further investment, that might be needed, but simply in terms of the infrastructure needed to get fans to Molineux. 'All' we need is another 10k or so seats, so a multistorey and a tram link would be more than sufficient. For pedestrians like me who walk to town from the station and then up to the ground, the subway works fine, and it would just be a bit busier.

We'd need more pubs though, and here my idea about a proper Black Country version of a fan zone makes sense - buy the Feathers off the Uni (or offer some rights to space in a new Bully stand), reroute Deanery Row, and build a fan zone to the side of it like they those they have in Germany (e.g. at Hertha Berlin), with plenty of space for other stuff and a traditional pubby bit.

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Have the architects ever been to Wolverhampton? It's exposed and windy up there on the ring road, so building an open public square there would surely be daft? And that tent structure would be unusable most of the season.

I don't really understand the infrastructure argument. Not the potential for investment to drive further investment, that might be needed, but simply in terms of the infrastructure needed to get fans to Molineux. 'All' we need is another 10k or so seats, so a multistorey and a tram link would be more than sufficient. For pedestrians like me who walk to town from the station and then up to the ground, the subway works fine, and it would just be a bit busier.

We'd need more pubs though, and here my idea about a proper Black Country version of a fan zone makes sense - buy the Feathers off the Uni (or offer some rights to space in a new Bully stand), reroute Deanery Row, and build a fan zone to the side of it like they those they have in Germany (e.g. at Hertha Berlin), with plenty of space for other stuff and a traditional bit.

It’s a conceptual masterplan. You’re right about windswept plazas - we tried that in any number of UK cities in the 60’s and 70’s, and they didn’t work well for that very reason. I think they are shown like this to emphasise the connections they bring between the MQ and city centre. In practice, I imagine detailed plans making it to planning would incorporate more structures along those routes to make them more sheltered. Imagine say a mix of cafes, coffee shops, tall screens, etc along the edge of the plaza on either side, and some amount of planting and structure in the middle to break up winds blowing north/south. Still far more capacity than the subway, but more sheltered than these images.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We'd need more pubs though, and here my idea about a proper Black Country version of a fan zone makes sense - buy the Feathers off the Uni (or offer some rights to space in a new Bully stand), reroute Deanery Row, and build a fan zone to the side of it like they those they have in Germany (e.g. at Hertha Berlin), with plenty of space for other stuff and a traditional bit.
Very true. Too open to make any sense, but I don't think anyone seriously thinks they would put sails up. They are something architects come up with cuz they look nice in sunny weather, but wouldn't last long in a windy October in the Midlands.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a conceptual masterplan. You’re right about windswept plazas - we tried that in any number of UK cities in the 60’s and 70’s, and they didn’t work well for that very reason. I think they are shown like this to emphasise the connections they bring between the MQ and city centre. In practice, I imagine detailed plans making it to planning would incorporate more structures along those routes to make them more sheltered. Imagine say a mix of cafes, coffee shops, tall screens, etc along the edge of the plaza on either side, and some amount of planting and structure in the middle to break up winds blowing north/south. Still far more capacity than the subway, but more sheltered than these images.
Good response Sussex. I'm not an anti-expert weirdo but when it comes to town planning I do worry about any masterplan over more organic development. This one looks dismal. And the commercial development you mention there, which could be great in principle, has me imagining a Costa in a cheap square, and a bit of tree planting... hope I'm wrong mate.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good response Sussex. I'm not an anti-expert weirdo but when it comes to town planning I do worry about any masterplan over more organic development. This one looks dismal. And the commercial development you mention there, which could be great in principle, has me imagining a Costa in a cheap square, and a bit of tree planting... hope I'm wrong mate.

You and me both!

I like the idea of burying the ring road near the archives to reinstate the connection which was lost when the ring road was built (before my time). But I agree this should have a more organic feel to it.

The image below shows a historic view towards Molineux long before the ring road, Civic Centre, Uni etc. The obvious approach to me would be to recreate the old Molineux Street route to the city, albeit in pedestrian form and shifted a little eastwards from its original location. Some new buildings along one side between the archives and civic centre side would recreate the feel of a pedestrianised street and shelter from wind, leaving a more open space at the back of the South Bank at one end, and another between the Uni and Civic Centre, at the other. It’s more or less the route of the subway, but would be at ground level and the width of a regular street.

IMG_1632.jpeg

Beowulf

Reaction score
You and me both!

I like the idea of burying the ring road near the archives to reinstate the connection which was lost when the ring road was built (before my time). But I agree this should have a more organic feel to it.

The image below shows a historic view towards Molineux long before the ring road, Civic Centre, Uni etc. The obvious approach to me would be to recreate the old Molineux Street route to the city, albeit in pedestrian form and shifted a little eastwards from its original location. Some new buildings along one side between the archives and civic centre side would recreate the feel of a pedestrianised street and shelter from wind, leaving a more open space at the back of the South Bank at one end, and another between the Uni and Civic Centre, at the other. It’s more or less the route of the subway, but would be at ground level and the width of a regular street.

View attachment 40027
Fabulous photo Sussex Wolf.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, those figures for a Championship team give an idea of how much a 'Molineux Fosun' stadium could be worth to the club in the Premier league, with vastly more media presence.
I don’t think they (Fosun) would sponsor it themselves as it would be dead money for them but I wouldn’t be suprised at a partner company doing it in time or a minority shareholder as and when one comes on board

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I don’t think they (Fosun) would sponsor it themselves as it would be dead money for them but I wouldn’t be suprised at a partner company doing it in time or a minority shareholder as and when one comes on board
Actually think the whole thing should be banned. Man City have likely got themselves into trouble like this, external sponsor = market rate, owner sponsor = FFP avoidance strategy.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually think the whole thing should be banned. Man City have likely got themselves into trouble like this, external sponsor = market rate, owner sponsor = FFP avoidance strategy.

They did, but the rules were tightened after their case to provide better guidance on what is considered “market rate” so that club owners would be less likely to game it, and the league have stronger case if they did. Everton were going down this route with their new stadium until their owner’s Russian financier was sanctioned.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back to the fantasy talk about what could be done to Molineux, should there be money available at some point…

Barcelona are currently rebuilding the Nou Camp, with demolition work of the parts that won’t be retained complete, and foundations for the new third tier well underway. While Molineux is not the Nou Camp, and I can’t see us spending over a billion on rebuilding Molineux, work at the Nou Camp does show what might be possible with the Steve Bull stand without full demolition and building a new stand from scratch.

If you look back at the “new stand” construction photos on the Old Molineux Photos thread, you can get a better idea of how much space is available inside the stand if it were reconfigured to use the office area, plus construction of an extension to the rear of the stand, extending the upper tier up and back, and a new roof as high as the North Bank. Then you can think about different options for a new hospitality space. Whether that’s at the current level, at the level of the upper concourse (roughly the same height as the North Bank hospitality level), or even at the level of the back wall (with a new third tier of seats above). Finished off with a new lower tier extending further forward, and depending on where the hospitality is located, starting higher than the current lower tier.

Just idle thoughts.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Blues can keep their Knobhead Park renaming. I don't want us to sell our soul however much cash is dangled. Molineux is an iconic name and an integral part of our identity.
This all day. True names of ground get less and less. Thank god we have Molineux, Anfield, Old Trafford etc. god forbid we’re ver the Remington Fuzz-Away arena.

Wolves history and tradition is a huge part of our brand value. Go ‘King Power’ and we’re just another provincial club. May as well go claret & blue at that point.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I notice that Villa have stepped back from their planned rebuilding of the North Stand, and will instead pursue more modest expansion without demolition. What I also noticed was they still plan to develop and indoor fan facility called the Warehouse to replace their existing outdoor fanzone. The idea being that the Warehouse can also be rented out for other users as a general purpose indoor events space.

That got me thinking about Molineux. How would people feel about the club building an indoor fan facility, perhaps on the land near Waterloo Road? Basic warehouse type construction, similar in concept to Boxpark Wembley. Used as a fanzone before home games, to stream live away games (for those unable to get to the away matches), England games, and rented out for other non-football events eg. an informal live music venue (different from The Halls) linked to Wolves Music, used by the University for social events, small business conferences, etc. If the Molineux Quarter project received funding to link the area better with the city centre, and build a new car park on the corner of Waterloo Road and the Ring Road, it would be a great location. Cheap to build, it could be a nice source of additional revenue for the club.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still keeping an eye out for Mol Quarter plans/timelines as I think if this gets moving we will see some stuff happening at Molineux. All news is from last year nothing fresh yet

I can only think that's the only reason why the new corner temp stand did not happen

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This all day. True names of ground get less and less. Thank god we have Molineux, Anfield, Old Trafford etc. god forbid we’re ver the Remington Fuzz-Away arena.

Wolves history and tradition is a huge part of our brand value. Go ‘King Power’ and we’re just another provincial club. May as well go claret & blue at that point.
Well apparently Old Trafford will soon be New Trafford going by todays paper talk
We definitely need a new stadium hopefully retaining the Molineux name
Essentially there needs a complex with a hotel ,combined with shops cafes bars etc
It will cost billions im sure but will benefit the whole city and us in particular
We cant match the top clubs financial clout without the infrastructure to create the revenue, its a simple fact of life

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well apparently Old Trafford will soon be New Trafford going by todays paper talk
We definitely need a new stadium hopefully retaining the Molineux name
Essentially there needs a complex with a hotel ,combined with shops cafes bars etc
It will cost billions im sure but will benefit the whole city and us in particular
We cant match the top clubs financial clout without the infrastructure to create the revenue, its a simple fact of life

Indeed they are. Similar in concept to what Spurs did, but aiming to receive financial help from the government, which I guess their neighbours City did when moving to their stadium. Now, has anyone thought of doing the same at Molineux with the Asda site next door ;)

But, just to revisit that old idea for a moment, might there be a deal to be done with the Uni and government that sees Wolves build a new stadium on the site of the existing University Halls / Asda site, with the University building a new student village on the existing Molineux site, closer to their academic buildings and the city centre? It could be phased such that replacement halls for those being lost are built on the area in and around the North Bank, then the new stadium is built where the existing halls / Asda is, and finally old Molineux is demolished and the rest of the student village built. Sounds like an expensive and complicated plan, but might be attractive to investors.

Last edited:

Queensland Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I was in Wolves a year ago and was shocked by the lack of vibrancy in the town. A few buildings were refurbished but on the whole it was dead. A lack of greenery and just general welcomeness was evident. The worst part was Queen Square which was so utterly drab there was nothing to entice the visitor there for one minute.
The iconic factors of Wolves as I remember had all faded away (Darlington Street, Queens Square, Dudley Street, Beatties, great shops, hundreds of buses), thousands of people. The replacements were dreadful such as the utterly drab Civic Centre etc etc etc

The question we put to Fosun is why won’t you invest in Infrastructure.? From their perspective apart from the financial disincentives, Chinas overall contemporary disdain of the west coupled with a great weakening in the Chinese economy in general they must conclude it isn’t worth it.

Adding to this environment there doesn’t seem any theme to any development so there is none to leverage off to make the stadium precinct any better. It seems obvious that any major plans would need to be put together by a combination of the University, Fosun, the Council, the Govt and housing developers. There seems an absence of any sign that that is happening so we are left with the status quo.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in Wolves a year ago and was shocked by the lack of vibrancy in the town. A few buildings were refurbished but on the whole it was dead. A lack of greenery and just general welcomeness was evident. The worst part was Queen Square which was so utterly drab there was nothing to entice the visitor there for one minute.
The iconic factors of Wolves as I remember had all faded away (Darlington Street, Queens Square, Dudley Street, Beatties, great shops, hundreds of buses), thousands of people. The replacements were dreadful such as the utterly drab Civic Centre etc etc etc

The question we put to Fosun is why won’t you invest in Infrastructure.? From their perspective apart from the financial disincentives, Chinas overall contemporary disdain of the west coupled with a great weakening in the Chinese economy in general they must conclude it isn’t worth it.

Adding to this environment there doesn’t seem any theme to any development so there is none to leverage off to make the stadium precinct any better. It seems obvious that any major plans would need to be put together by a combination of the University, Fosun, the Council, the Govt and housing developers. There seems an absence of any sign that that is happening so we are left with the status quo.

Everything you say is correct.

There is now however significant funding committed to a range of redevelopment projects across the city centre. Whether they are all successful or cohesive is to be seen, but it should at least help business sentiment. As for Molineux, there is a master plan published for the Molineux Quarter by a partnership of Council, University and Wolves. It’s still waiting to be funded, but as the biggest part of it, the University recently restated its commitment to it.

Further up this thread are images of the master plan and links to recent press reports on it and the city funding.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
"Why won't Villa currently push through with plans to increase the capacity more significantly? At this moment in time, an explanation given is that they're not routinely selling out Premier League and Europa Conference League matches and so the implementing of more seats is not justified right now."

Copied from the link above, indicates Villa have the same issue as Wolves.
Maybe they too will erect some uncovered meccano stand beside their North Stand?

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
"Why won't Villa currently push through with plans to increase the capacity more significantly? At this moment in time, an explanation given is that they're not routinely selling out Premier League and Europa Conference League matches and so the implementing of more seats is not justified right now."

Copied from the link above, indicates Villa have the same issue as Wolves.
Maybe they too will erect some uncovered meccano stand beside the North Stand?
Sounded more like they are going to squeeze seats into the existing structures. Is there standing in the Holte? Imagine you'd add a bit, was it about 1 for 20 extra in the South Bank? Not much room on the sides of the North Stand I wouldn't have thought, the Doug Ellis already goes well past the end of it.

Back
Top Bottom