Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, I’ll ask why you quoted “save us” when replying to my post? As it is evidently clear I did not put it!
Sorry, from the "again" l guess that l missed something.

Having re-read l didn't directly quote, for which l apologise, but what you did talk about, which for most people would have the same natural English language meaning, was "his legacy of saving us". The implication of him having a legacy of saving us is self obviously that he had saved us!

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sorry, from the "again" l guess that l missed something.

Having re-read l didn't directly quote, for which l apologise, but what you did talk about, which for most people would have the same natural English language meaning, was "his legacy of saving us". The implication of him having a legacy of saving us is self obviously that he had saved us!
No worries WW and yeah I agree btw

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard on a podcast yesterday that the Steve Bull Stand is sinking into the ground is this actually true?
If true how long will it be before this could be closed as well.

JH1902

Groupie
Reaction score
Heard on a podcast yesterday that the Steve Bull Stand is sinking into the ground is this actually true?

It wouldn't surprise me at all, the Steve Bull is in dire need of a bit of a spruce up. I've read somewhere that there's a lot of concrete cancer riddled throughout the stand which obviously isn't good! I'll have a mooch next weekend!

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I think it's a rumour without foundation.
If the Steve Bull Stand was found to be sinking on inspection, it would be closed down.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's what i thought but they seem quite definite about it .The Talking Wolves podcast by the way.
There have been rumours about the Steve Bull foundations for years. What the whole truth is? Who knows. However, given that Wolvo council seems to be one of, if not the, most risk averse licensing authorities l seriously doubt that the stand would be open if there were serious structural issues.

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
To my knowledge the Steve Bull Stand isn't sinking as such but the below-ground level concrete pillars that effectively hold the stand up have had some sizeable cracks in them for years. They are monitored to ensure there is no further significant movement.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me at all, the Steve Bull is in dire need of a bit of a spruce up. I've read somewhere that there's a lot of concrete cancer riddled throughout the stand which obviously isn't good! I'll have a mooch next weekend!
There is a massive difference between “spruce up” and “concrete cancer” or “foundations sinking”. It would not have a safety certificate f there was a risk.

it would be nice to see some of these claims backed up with evidence. Perhaps we should ask Doris?

Without evidence of these claims, and with the evidence of a safety certificate, I am calling BS.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

There is a massive difference between “spruce up” and “concrete cancer” or “foundations sinking”. It would not have a safety certificate f there was a risk.

it would be nice to see some of these claims backed up with evidence. Perhaps we should ask Doris?
Coutinho is coming over to paint it. Felix is grafting for him.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Without evidence of these claims, and with the evidence of a safety certificate, I am calling BS.
It’s just one of those rumours/theories which developed a life of its own. Maybe they will find Lucan in the foundations when they eventually rebuild it!

JH1902

Groupie
Reaction score

The "spruce up needed" is my own personal observation and aimed towards the facilities and was not referring to the structure of the building, the concrete cancer part is merely hearsay.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure I’ve seen it on acknowledged on the official site that the Steve Bull is suffering from subsidence issues. Could be going back a while here. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to fall over though.

Was there not a game delayed by 30-40 minutes a few years ago because the floor around the turnstiles caved in just before kick off?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure I’ve seen it on acknowledged on the official site that the Steve Bull is suffering from subsidence issues. Could be going back a while here. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to fall over though.

Was there not a game delayed by 30-40 minutes a few years ago because the floor around the turnstiles caved in just before kick off?
I think I remember the club saying something about issues with the stand a few years ago too. Think it was in the Morgan era, just before they rebuilt the north bank. Said it wasn’t an immediate problem, but it’s lifespan was finite. So could still have 20 years left in it...

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I believe the issues with the stand are to do with some of the concrete. The steel structure and the foundations are fine, but some of the concrete used in places is crumbling. But so far it's mostly cosmetic. I don't think there are any issues in places that pose a safety risk.

EDIT TO AD:

It should have been the first stand to be rebuilt. The old North Bank was fine. Would still have been useable now. But the stadium's electricity substation was inside the Steve Bull, so the (wrong) decision was taken to rebuild the North Bank first and install a new substation in the carpark. (The small black structure across from Asda.) THEN demolish the Steve Bull. The better choice would have been to just move the substation as the first step of the rebuild, then do the stand that needed it most. But Morgan was keen to get the diggers out asap.

Last edited:

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I remember the club saying something about issues with the stand a few years ago too. Think it was in the Morgan era, just before they rebuilt the north bank. Said it wasn’t an immediate problem, but it’s lifespan was finite. So could still have 20 years left in it...
Yeah I think it was about Morgan’s time.

I believe the issues with the stand are to do with some of the concrete. The steel structure and the foundations are fine, but some of the concrete used in places is crumbling. But so far it's mostly cosmetic. I don't think there are any issues in places that pose a safety risk.

EDIT TO AD:

It should have been the first stand to be rebuilt. The old North Bank was fine. Would still have been useable now. But the stadium's electricity substation was inside the Steve Bull, so the (wrong) decision was taken to rebuild the North Bank first and install a new substation in the carpark. (The small black structure across from Asda.) THEN demolish the Steve Bull. The better choice would have been to just move the substation as the first step of the rebuild, then do the stand that needed it most. But Morgan was keen to get the diggers out asap.
Not sure about concrete crumbling, that would be more serious. Subsidence is fairly common though, just depends how severe. You’d know just looking at it if it was a problem.

I did walk past the ground the other week and noticed an increasing bit of attention is needed in upkeep. Just paint on external surfaces, even the South Bank, never mind the Steve Bull. Some of the fascias on the top of the Steve Bull Stand (outside) look in a poor condition.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's a rumour without foundation.
If the Steve Bull Stand was found to be sinking on inspection, it would be closed down.
Pun intended?

I'm keen for any ammunition to support my view that the stand needs a massive expansion, but I'm not worried about it's safety...

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pun intended?

I'm keen for any ammunition to support my view that the stand needs a massive expansion, but I'm not worried about it's safety...
If it wasn’t safe they wouldn’t get a safety certificate end of story.

Iv heard the same rumours about the old north bank there was crumbling concrete.

Hm for example. Many houses have cracks in the brick work. Do you go and buy a new house?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much is all that costing them?
As a county town, they have probably got more demand for conference suites etc, whereas Wolverhampton lies too close to Brum with NEC and Convention centre etc?
We should definitely increase to 40000, by the cheapest way possible. We're losing a generation of Black Country kids who can't get tickets.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a county town, they have probably got more demand for conference suites etc, whereas Wolverhampton lies too close to Brum with NEC and Convention centre etc?
We should definitely increase to 40000, by the cheapest way possible. We're losing a generation of Black Country kids who can't get tickets.
This!

We're again ****ing up by not getting as many in as possible when the going's good... today's casual fan is tomorrow's regular. See Sunderland for how this can work to a club's long-term benefit.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jeff,
If you reading this, this is your competition. The indicative plans for Molineux expansion were a good starting point for size, phasing and footprint, but we need something of this quality when we eventually redevelop the Steve Bull. Otherwise we will look like the poor cousins when our games are streamed and broadcast around the world.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
It needn't be the cheapest but a good quality 5,000 seats extension at the back of the South Bank with the two corners holding 2,500 seats each.
Not too much disruption around matches, 10,000 extra seats, as per Phase 2 of the redevelopment plan, bringing capacity up towards 42,000, bingo.
No corporate seats, but seats for the younger generation of fans who can't get tickets, who could be grouped together like in the old days too.
1628796478222.png

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazed anyone still believes Fosun will even match Morgan in developing the ground.

Back
Top Bottom