Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Squad rotation, 3 big games in 6 days

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'm going to say what sounds like (maybe is) the stupidest thing ever - rest Gomes for Doyle next week.

Thing is we need to see that a great counter attacking display doesn't justify keeping the same team for game where the opposition will sit in and try to counter us. Hopefully also put a couple in early and then give Neto (and maybe Hwang if he's not 100%) an early hook!

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm going to say what sounds like (maybe is) the stupidest thing ever - rest Gomes for Doyle next week.

Thing is we need to see that a great counter attacking display doesn't justify keeping the same team for game where the opposition will sit in and try to counter us. Hopefully also put a couple in early and then give Neto (and maybe Hwang if he's not 100%) an early hook!
Agree completely, sheff utd is a Doyle game to find the gaps with his passing.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a dilemma. Wolves are in a mini league battling for seventh place, but are also eyeing a really good cup run. I think O’Neil will prioritise each game as it comes. I would definitely play Doyle against the Blades. I think he is limited on what other changes he can make, but maybe play Fraser to give Hwang a bit more time to get himself properly fit.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think Sheffield might be a good game for Doyle, but I actually would consider resting Lemina rather than Gomes.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still think and have always thought our best chance of Europe is via the league....so for me it's full team against Sheffield utd and take it from there..... you can't look to far in front....

And to look after business, let not forget that a win against SU pretty much assures us of PL football next season.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
My only concern is not overworking Neto. Our season would grind to a halt if he did his hamstring again, and it could cost us a lot on his fee in the summer.
Yes, there were warning signs of Cunha's injury.

Yesrterday the Talksport comms thankfully got it wrong with Neto when they thought it looked like he'd over-extended a hamstring before he went off.

So Doyle for Gomes and, would be unpopular, JRB for Neto to start next week?

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As good as we have been away, we haven’t picked up too many points at home, so we should be looking to get as many wins as possible.

GON said in the interview yesterday that we need to work out a way to beat teams who won’t attack as much at home and Sheff U is the ideal environment for that. We can beat these teams away and have done Everton at home, so it will be a real test of mettle.

Would also like to see us beat Brighton without a replay so the dream can continue.

The league is really odd this year as it’s quite compressed between 5th and 11th and then there’s a big gap back to the rest

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst I agree it is a dilemma but why don't other teams have to do this if FFP applies to all . Do they have bigger squads to rotate more players . How are they doing this if they have more players in the squad ?. Can't think of many in the prem this year that sold their best player and a supposed best player in the 11 and not really replace them .

All I am saying is no point complaining unless you want to point the finger at the board to back our manager . Time will tell with FFP but I didn't see multiple teams that have worse finances than us having to fire sale in January did you?.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still think and have always thought our best chance of Europe is via the league....so for me it's full team against Sheffield utd and take it from there..... you can't look to far in front....
Agree. Winning becomes a habit and players like playing. Yes, we have a small squad and have to be sensible, but 5 subs gives us options to rest players in-game. I'd go with the same team from yesterday assuming no knocks and as you say, take it from there.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless any of the starting 11 are carrying knocks, I wouldn’t be rotating the starting 11. We need the mixture of aggression and guile that front three offer. We needed it against Brentford, but lost Cunha early on and that left us toothless. The rest of the team plays every game they’re fit, and for good reason. Now, be a couple of goals up midway through the second half, and yes I’d be taking the likes of Hwang and Neto off to protect them for the upcoming games, perhaps even Pitbull.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As good as we have been away, we haven’t picked up too many points at home, so we should be looking to get as many wins as possible.

GON said in the interview yesterday that we need to work out a way to beat teams who won’t attack as much at home and Sheff U is the ideal environment for that. We can beat these teams away and have done Everton at home, so it will be a real test of mettle.

Would also like to see us beat Brighton without a replay so the dream can continue.

The league is really odd this year as it’s quite compressed between 5th and 11th and then there’s a big gap back to the rest
There's no replays now

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Full team against sheff utd, Santi in for Dawson, Doyle for Gomes in cup, hopefully manage neto and bring him off early sheff utd to start Brighton. Can see mini Lemina being brought into the squad as well

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I’m Unless any of the starting 11 are carrying knocks, I wouldn’t be rotating the starting 11. We need the mixture of aggression and guile that front three offer. We needed it against Brentford, but lost Cunha early on and that left us toothless. The rest of the team plays every game they’re fit, and for good reason. Now, be a couple of goals up midway through the second half, and yes I’d be taking the likes of Hwang and Neto off to protect them for the upcoming games, perhaps even Pitbull.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I think Sheffield might be a good game for Doyle, but I actually would consider resting Lemina rather than Gomes.
Actually wrote that first, just feel Lemina is more the steady head we need in the middle, although then again there's the yellow count to consider.

My main think is that if I have a (harsh) criticism of O'Neil, it's that he sticks with the same team in very different games. I wouldn't fancy telling Gomes he was missing the game, but managing that is part of his job for me.

Btw I'm not disrespecting Sheff U or suggesting we don't go with our strongest line up, just that yesterday's brilliant performance might not be it, just like the wonderful display at Chelsea didn't tell us how to beat Brentford.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst I agree it is a dilemma but why don't other teams have to do this if FFP applies to all . Do they have bigger squads to rotate more players . How are they doing this if they have more players in the squad ?. Can't think of many in the prem this year that sold their best player and a supposed best player in the 11 and not really replace them .

All I am saying is no point complaining unless you want to point the finger at the board to back our manager . Time will tell with FFP but I didn't see multiple teams that have worse finances than us having to fire sale in January did you?.
At the end of the season we will see who is right and who is wrong when the finances are revealed
We all know we need players but the right players
We saw yesterday how many attacking players Spurs could rotate virtually all 5 subs were attacking players
The problem is it was their midfield and defence that were weak and we exploited that perfectly
We have seen multiple teams struggling this season with injuries,Newcastle ,Brighton,Bournemouth,Palace,Brentford even Man Utd
Maybe they dont have the small squads but have they really got great replacements?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually wrote that first, just feel Lemina is more the steady head we need in the middle, although then again there's the yellow count to consider.

My main think is that if I have a (harsh) criticism of O'Neil, it's that he sticks with the same team in very different games. I wouldn't fancy telling Gomes he was missing the game, but managing that is part of his job for me.

Btw I'm not disrespecting Sheff U or suggesting we don't go with our strongest line up, just that yesterday's brilliant performance might not be it, just like the wonderful display at Chelsea didn't tell us how to beat Brentford.
We need clever players against Sheff Utd,Sarabia and Doyle are those
They will sit back and that nullifies Neto a great deal, i would give him a rest for at least half a game
Second half would be ideal with them perhaps tiring a bit to unleash him

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I actually think this is a really good call. Don’t play into Sheff Utd’s preferred physical battle and go for a bit more creativity. Brighton’s the opposite where we need players who are better at not giving them time on the ball.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest I can't get too excited about a battle for 7th. Highly unlikely anyway.
Just for once we should prioritize a cup game. We are 3 games from a FA Cup final.
I don’t think GON is wired that way He likes the challenge of setting his side and tactics up depending on the opponent so we could easily see three very different approaches in those games despite personnel remaining fairly constant

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest I can't get too excited about a battle for 7th. Highly unlikely anyway.
Just for once we should prioritize a cup game. We are 3 games from a FA Cup final.
How can we not be in a battle for 7th being only 2 points off....with our current form and the general downturn in teams form above us, it a must we select our best available side in the next home game in the league....

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can we not be in a battle for 7th being only 2 points off....with our current form and the general downturn in teams form above us, it a must we select our best available side in the next home game in the league....
We probably only have a couple of options anyway,the main one is Doyle ,so possibly he will start with the same but maybe change it early for Doyle to give us creativity if things arent going well

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would be happy with Traore and JRB as well as Doyle getting significant game time vs Blades if it meant that Lemina, Gomes & the front 3 would be a few percent fresher for the cup match.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you’re going to be sorely disappointed for the rest of your life if you can’t get excited by this.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be happy with Traore and JRB as well as Doyle getting significant game time vs Blades if it meant that Lemina, Gomes & the front 3 would be a few percent fresher for the cup match.
We have a days less rest than Brighton too,but we have a day more than Sheff Utd who play Brighton today lol

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We probably only have a couple of options anyway,the main one is Doyle ,so possibly he will start with the same but maybe change it early for Doyle to give us creativity if things arent going well
Yes..... although people lose there minds, the game that we might be able to make a couple of changes should be Brighton...that one could go to extra time .... full team against Sheffield utd....you just push the wingbacks further forward.... particularly Rayan...

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cup is the priority for me, plus Sheff Utd won’t let us play counter-attacking. So I’d be resting Ait-Nouri, Gomes, Neto and bring in Hugo B, Doyle and Bellegarde

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Maybe we should start with the Brentford second half 4231 against Sheff U?

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a dilemma. Wolves are in a mini league battling for seventh place, but are also eyeing a really good cup run. I think O’Neil will prioritise each game as it comes. I would definitely play Doyle against the Blades. I think he is limited on what other changes he can make, but maybe play Fraser to give Hwang a bit more time to get himself properly fit.
I think playing the likes of Fraser can cause the opposition problems as they actually don't know what to expect even though they probably know how he plays. He's an unknown quantity.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Except in the last 8 at home we have lost 2 United and Brentford, home form has been fine.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cup is the priority for me, plus Sheff Utd won’t let us play counter-attacking. So I’d be resting Ait-Nouri, Gomes, Neto and bring in Hugo B, Doyle and Bellegarde
Yes, the cup is my priority too and benching a couple wouldn't be a bad call.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure we've picked up more points at home than away.

Back
Top Bottom