Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spurs 1 King Gary's Wolves 2 - Verdict Thread

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair I think we are better now than the 70’s team. Don’t get me wrong, that team was great but we got relegated in 75-76 and then were up and down until we went down to the 4th division. We’ve now had 6 seasons in the top flight. It will soon be 7. We’ve never had such a sustained run in the top flight in my lifetime.
Pardon me. Better than the 70's team that reached the UEFA Cup Final and contested several FA Cup and League Cup Semi Finals ?
I find your comment somewhat shallow, tbh.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your reasoning is good but will Saudi money upset the apple cart to some extent…….they may affect prices and personal terms.

They are defiantly the wildcard in the situation but i think Premier league sides know they cant compete with them if they want to stay withing FFP as they offer generational, life changing wealth.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pardon me. Better than the 70's team that reached the UEFA Cup Final and contested several FA Cup and League Cup Semi Finals ?
And also won the League Cup, when it was taken seriously

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think we are a better team because footballers are better players now. I said it a while ago, but i went back and watched some of our 70's games on youtube and compared to today the standard is like watching championship teams.

This is why its hard to compare eras. That 70's team was good in its day, but its not good compared to todays sides. The game has changed so much.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
I think we are a better team because footballers are better players now. I said it a while ago, but i went back and watched some of our 70's games on youtube and compared to today the standard is like watching championship teams.

This is why it’s hard to compare eras. That 70's team was good in its day, but its not good compared to todays sides. The game has changed so much.
I agree you can’t compare eras but I don’t agree you can say players are better now. If you could transfer the players from the 70’s to now and use the same training, nutrition etc. they would be just as good

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much to my embarrassment, I had mentally written yesterdays game off. I have quite a few Spurs mates and I figured after last week we might not show up. So happy to be proven wrong (again). Superb performance.

Always great to see fans of big 6 team complaining about you defending well and counter attacking against them, as well as that heinous crime of celebrating when you win
I'd understand that level of salt if we'd parked the bus and offered nothing at all in attack. We could have scored more than we did though, had plenty of chances and it could quite easily have been another Chelsea scoreline

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good, it means we are doing something right. Now to get Citeh, Yernited, Liverpool and Arsenal to "hate us".

Arsenal do…… they have a weird fixation with us internally….

Arteta is a major grudge holder by all accounts and he has us on his **** list lol

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree you can’t compare eras but I don’t agree you can say players are better now. If you could transfer the players from the 70’s to now and use the same training, nutrition etc. they would be just as good

The top players of any era i believe would transition pretty effortlessly, but i've got no doubts the run of the mill, solid top flight players of the 70's are nowhere near their counterparts today. Better nutrition and training would have them fitter and better drilled, but you watch those games and look at the first touches of a lot of the players and they are pretty poor.

As i said though, its a very different game back then to now. You could make a career out of being a hatchet man back then, players like that would have no chance now.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to make a profound statement here. Pedro Neto is the best Wolves player ever.

God, that turn of phrase takes me back a few years. I remember being in school assembly and someone stood up to declare "I have a profound statement to make" before lifting a leg and letting rip with the loudest rasping fart any of us had ever heard, leaving the whole room in fits of giggles.

I don't think she ever got another headmistress job after that.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is why its hard to compare eras. That 70's team was good in its day, but its not good compared to todays sides. The game has changed so much.
I get that, but are we discussing relative success (ie silverware) or the skillsets of the players, because if its the latter you may have a point, although I'd like to see some of the modern players playing on a pudding of a pitch and vice versa.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to have a proper rewatch last night, as couldn’t see the first half properly at work.
That was a fine display overall.
Picks of the bunch, Gomes could probably have been MoM even without the goals, but Semedo with another absolute stonker of a performance.
Shut Son down repeatedly, and usually tried to get something going immediately afterwards.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Got to have a proper rewatch last night, as couldn’t see the first half properly at work.
That was a fine display overall.
Picks of the bunch, Gomes could probably have been MoM even without the goals, but Semedo with another absolute stonker of a performance.
Shut Son down repeatedly, and usually tried to get something going immediately afterwards.
Think the Semedo / Mitoma duel will be critical in the cup so great he’s in good form for it.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had us down to take a bit of a battering but my opinion changed, stupid I know, when in the first half Joao Gomes tackled one of their players, won a throw in and started celebrating. Little things like that make you think “we’re refusing to lose today”.

Last edited:

Ebbo

Reaction score
We had back row seats with stewards behind us in the area between us and that first level of Spurs corporate.
As we were leaving I turned to a one of the stewards and said "How good were we, what a performance?"

His reply?

"Yes mate, you were great. I'm an Arsenal fan so I loved it. Can't celebrate though!" :tearsofjoy:

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Basically we wear red we are amazing.

Few things as I went
Semedo is seriously underrated. Second half Kulusevski was running ribbons so Gary swapped fullbacks and Semedo stopped him. Did the same with Son. For me he was my MOTM

Van der Ven for them is a very good player, their two fullbacks however arent.

Honestly should have won it by more and it felt just as comfortable as the Chelsea game. For me though the big thing is now the Sheffield United game. I go into that as a must win because I am sick and tired of losing to the bottom clubs and beating the top ones. Don't get me wrong its great when we do it but its not a model to base every season on

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had back row seats with stewards behind us in the area between us and that first level of Spurs corporate.
As we were leaving I turned to a one of the stewards and said "How good were we, what a performance?"

His reply?

"Yes mate, you were great. I'm an Arsenal fan so I loved it. Can't celebrate though!" :tearsofjoy:

Must be an amazing perk of the job to get paid to watch your clubs rivals bottle a trophy nearly every season lol

WufflerMuffler

Groupie
Reaction score
So I thought if it wasn't David Coleman being a bit snooty about Peter Knowles it must've been Kenneth "They think it's all over" Wolstenholme. Not true though. Check out YouTube, brilliant Steve Lowe scrapbook footage of Knocker's
exhilerating talent, joy to watch, and KW doesn't really have a bad world to say about him. My mistake, apologies. Funny how we recall some things as fact and they never even happened. Quite remarkable...and quite barmy. Anyway - point is, both Peters, Broadbent and Knowles, would've loved being in this team.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the Semedo / Mitoma duel will be critical in the cup so great he’s in good form for it.
I think we will see Lemina/Gomes nibbling away at Mitoma before he gets a run at Semedo - they wont make the same mistake twice of letting him have a free run from his own half.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal do…… they have a weird fixation with us internally….

Arteta is a major grudge holder by all accounts and he has us on his **** list lol
Captain Black can do one. I really can't stand the mardy smug ****. He makes Eddie Howe look like a saint.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just need to find consistency. Play good agin top teams and not so good agin the lesser teams.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Good old ITV Central

“Wolves beat Tottenham 2-1. Raul Gomes headed the first goal, then the Portuguese midfielder scored the second after a counter attack.”

rubyloo

Reaction score
and Gomes' technique to take a bobbling ball and stroke it past Vicario probably hasn't received the credit it deserved
Yes , Neto hit it quite firmly - it wasn’t a gentle lay off. Think it was actually a half volley- fantastic skill to keep it down , so easy to blaze it over.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
This is the expressions lad I watched earlier and was talking about!!!

I genuinely enjoy his content! He is so quick and funny with his way of describing things and comparing it to something else!

He is a genuinely good bloke to deal with in the commercial media space by all accounts as he is just so funny naturally
Here's another one from him. I'm definitely not his target audience but this guy cracks me up, he's super sharp. Some of his one liners (blud!).

Back
Top Bottom