Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spirit of 1960 ~ Wolves 3 Blackburn 0 FA Cup Final

London Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just over 51 years ago on Saturday May 7th 1960 Wolves thrashed Rovers 3-0 lets have the same again on Sunday :)

1960celebratewin.jpg

98,954 were in attendance at Wembley Stadium to see a Wolves side that had finished 2nd in the 1959/60 Division One season to Burnley, beat Burnley’s Lancashire rivals Blackburn Rovers 3-0 in the FA Cup Final. Blackburn had finished only 17th in division one that season and they were big underdogs going into the match, their cause was not helped by an injury future Wigan Athletic owner, Dave Whelan.

Blackburn defender Whelan broke his leg in a harmless looking challenge with Norman Deeley, in the days before substitutions, Rovers had to play out the game with only ten men.

Wolverhampton had taken the lead shortly before half-time, when Barry Stobart centered the ball into the Blackburn box, only for Mick McGrath to score an own goal, as he was pressured by Norman Deeley. They extended their lead in the 67th minute, Deeley scoring himself this time, after good work from Des Horne. The match was finished off by a second Deeley goal in the 88th minute, smashing in after Stobart’s centre bounced back off a post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLjBzcOE3nM&feature=player_embedded#at=12

B

Bertiewolf

Well lets hope we play better than we did that day, Blackburn were passing us of the park, driven on by Peter Dobing and would you believe Ally Mcleod.

When Whelan went off Mcleod went to full back and they lost their impetus letting us into a game where until then our tactics were playing the highest offside line you can imagine a la Leeds or Arsenal at their worst.

Same result please - better performance!!

Oh and perhaps that miserable sod Whelan can break his leg again tripping on the directors box steps at the Britannia as another Delap long throw is turned in to make it 5!!!

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets just hope we win. Let us hope it is done by fair means. Lets just hope that tomorrow evening we can look forward to another season of Premiership football. For my part I hope Wigan can too as I believe Martinez is an excellent manager. As for the Wigan chairman, I believe he never played again after the injury he suffered against Wolves that day. Even if he has displayed bad feeling towards our club and supporters since then, I certainly do not echo the comments of Bertiewolf.

Bahama Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lets just hope we win. Let us hope it is done by fair means. Lets just hope that tomorrow evening we can look forward to another season of premiership football. For my part i hope wigan can too as i believe martinez is an excellent manager. As for the wigan chairman, i believe he never played again after the injury he suffered against wolves that day. Even if he has displayed bad feeling towards our club and supporters since then, i certainly do not echo the comments of bertiewolf.

+1

Back
Top Bottom