Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

South Bank Halftime Experience

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought I'd just add this tale to those who feel they must have a beer at HT (or any time really). My son's partner is a nurse in ICU. Her patient last night was a 65 year old man who got ****ed up, fell out of bed drunk, broke his neck and is now paralysed from the neck down.
Moral of the story, don't go to bed just after halftime, allow the alcohol in your blood to level out first.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me personally if im on a session and have 2hr gap between drink its a guaranteed head ache by full time

SL1 bar is a joke, feel sorry for the staff but the manager down there is just ****ing rude. Charged me £15 for 2 Madri yesterday, they lumped someone elses steak pie on my bill and as soon as i’d realised i’d already paid contactless.

Basically refused a refund. Pathetic to be honest. Told her to keep the fiver
Cheers mate, next time I'd prefer the Madri tyvm

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't drink, so have no idea how much a pint costs, so I apologise in advance for what I say below.

Add £2 to the price of a freshly - poured pint, take off a £1 for a pre - poured pint, limit to two or three pints per person to make it manageable.

I have absolutely no idea if it's financially possible, but if queuing for beer is the issue, make pre-poured pints financially desirable.
They need a better system. Prepackaged (bottled) beers are the most practical solution, probably eats in to that bottom line though...

I'd be happy with bottles if they were flying off the fridge shelves. You're never gonna win a CAMRA award when serving in plastics.

Bottles have to be the best solution for the South Bank.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They seriously need to improve the stadium. There was a young Chinese couple sat behind us, big bag from the shop etc. She tried to use the toilets at half time, but couldn't, a queue and someone who stayed in one of the women's toilets for ages, according to my girlfriend. They had to leave 20 minutes into the second half. I don't think they'll be back.
The toilets and facilities in general are third rate and embarrassing. If possible, Jeff Shi should spend a match in each of the stands so he can experience it for himself.
I love Fosun and what they've done for Wolves, but they should think about the fans and the stadium, although I guess its all down to money.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do sometimes wonder what the South Bank was like when the stand used to be split.

I rarely went in as I didn’t move my season ticket from the North to the South until they made the South Bank completely a home end again.

It must have been horrendous.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do sometimes wonder what the South Bank was like when the stand used to be split.

I rarely went in as I didn’t move my season ticket from the North to the South until they made the South Bank completely a home end again.

It must have been horrendous.
It was brilliant back when I started. Abuse across the demilitarised zone and the occasional "ting" sound of someone chucking coins across. Surges that could see you off your feet and literally out of control just moving with the massed others. Having a disco. It was exciting at the time.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was brilliant back when I started. Abuse across the demilitarised zone and the occasional "ting" sound of someone chucking coins across. Surges that could see you off your feet and literally out of control just moving with the massed others. Having a disco. It was exciting at the time.
I meant the SJH rebuilt South Bank not the old terrace.

People just ****ed where they wanted on the terrace.

Did they even do refreshments?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do have some bell ends in our support, Thank god for threads like this for flushing them out
My bell end flushes out before HT - old age - so I miss the excitement in the Billy Quiet, but those around me have a good moan about its state at HT.

There again, Billy Quiet and Good Moan do go together...

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They seriously need to improve the stadium. There was a young Chinese couple sat behind us, big bag from the shop etc. She tried to use the toilets at half time, but couldn't, a queue and someone who stayed in one of the women's toilets for ages, according to my girlfriend. They had to leave 20 minutes into the second half. I don't think they'll be back.
The toilets and facilities in general are third rate and embarrassing. If possible, Jeff Shi should spend a match in each of the stands so he can experience it for himself.
I love Fosun and what they've done for Wolves, but they should think about the fans and the stadium, although I guess its all down to money.

It’s not a bad idea that trusted members of Shi’s leadership team responsible for the stadium and matchday experience should spend a few games each season sitting in each area of the ground, ideally both male and female, so they can get a proper fans experience to gauge how well things are working. Would also make sense for them to visit other PL stadiums on match days, not as guests but as ordinary fans - see what works and doesn’t elsewhere. Mystery shopper type approach works well in many businesses which rely on making “customers” satisfied.

Plenty of ideas on this thread alone could help. Some would require some investment, like providing matchday facilities for the South Bank, while others like pre pouring beers for HT, are purely operational changes with little or no expense required.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whenever I have sat in the South Bank I have generally left my seat simply to get a break from the pre-match beer and pie farts that occur throughout the game and, on occasion, neighbours with B.O. that would blister the paint off a bus at 20 paces.

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s not a bad idea that trusted members of Shi’s leadership team responsible for the stadium and matchday experience should spend a few games each season sitting in each area of the ground, ideally both male and female, so they can get a proper fans experience to gauge how well things are working. Would also make sense for them to visit other PL stadiums on match days, not as guests but as ordinary fans - see what works and doesn’t elsewhere. Mystery shopper type approach works well in many businesses which rely on making “customers” satisfied.

Plenty of ideas on this thread alone could help. Some would require some investment, like providing matchday facilities for the South Bank, while others like pre pouring beers for HT, are purely operational changes with little or no expense required.
Pretty certain they said they have done this, and found it not to be so bad … yeah alrite then. Wonder what they would do if this was the same in corporate, they would do something about it then. It’s just sloppiness from them, however they probably aren’t bothered as it’s all outsourced, and I think it’s Levy, the bloke who runs Spuds. Thanks for all the players, but save just a fraction to put some things right for the fans.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
i don't really get the comments like "don't have a beer then"

to be fair Wolves at home on a Saturday is my big day out and yeah i like to go to the football and have a beer before during and after.

i accept thats it's crap and a rip off but i decide i still going to do it.

it's got worse this season because they've stopped doing beers in a bottle and changed it all to draught beer so it takes them even longer, they use to struggle just opening the bottles before.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whenever I have sat in the South Bank I have generally left my seat simply to get a break from the pre-match beer and pie farts that occur throughout the game and, on occasion, neighbours with B.O. that would blister the paint off a bus at 20 paces.
zzzzzzzzzzzz

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Also, for good or bad, beer makes the atmosphere so much better, which can really help the team. You actually notice the dip in atmosphere after 20 mins in the first half, not always because of the football!

There are things that are fixed right,
  • the law - that's you can't hold a beer watching the game,
  • the stadium - we're stuck with a small concourse and limited booths at least for a few years,
  • people behaving badly - so we have to have plastic, we all accept that, so the beer is going to be **** that's fine,
  • staff - you can't expect super motivated employees in the booths on short hour temp' contracts
  • the demand - people go to football as an escape from normal life and like to have a beer at half time like they would be able to all across the country at football grounds, no crime there non beer drinkers (weirdos)?
But the things that seem so easy to change, the products, the processes, the training - is mind bogglingly bad, so many obvious & easy suggestions on this thread.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Also, for good or bad, beer makes the atmosphere so much better, which can really help the team. You actually notice the dip in atmosphere after 20 mins in the first half, not always because of the football!

• the stadium - we're stuck with a small concourse and limited booths at least for a few years,
  • people behaving badly - so we have to have plastic, we all accept that, so the beer is going to be **** that's fine,
  • staff - you can't expect super motivated employees in the booths on short hour temp' contracts
  • the demand - people go to football as an escape from normal life and like to have a beer at half time like they would be able to all across the country at football grounds, no crime there non beer drinkers (weirdos)?
But the things that seem so easy to change, the products, the processes, the training - is mind bogglingly bad, so many obvious & easy suggestions on this thread.
I agree with most of that, but as someone who moaned like hell about the products last season, I feel I should applaud the club for massive improvements on that front.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you were at the semi final at Wembley, I’m not sure you’d agree with that. The atmosphere before the game outside was great, but many had so much beer before the game started, they were pretty quiet for much of the game! I’d say a beer or two relaxes the singing voice, a few more and many just want a snooze :)

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
I agree with most of that, but as someone who moaned like hell about the products last season, I feel I should applaud the club for massive improvements on that front.
But if those extremely slow pumps are one of the reasons for all the other pain points there has to be alternatives?
they put premium beers on like Madri, but it tastes nothing like a normal Madri could be a Carling all I can tell.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
But if those extremely slow pumps are one of the reasons for all the other pain points there has to be alternatives?
they put premium beers on like Madri, but it tastes nothing like a normal Madri could be a Carling all I can tell.
No good asking me mate, the lagers all taste the same to me. I can assure you that the Doombar (even from a can) doesn't taste like Worthington's it tastes like beer.

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
If you were at the semi final at Wembley, I’m not sure you’d agree with that. The atmosphere before the game outside was great, but many had so much beer before the game started, they were pretty quiet for much of the game! I’d say a beer or two relaxes the singing voice, a few more and many just want a snooze :)

I was there ofc, we're talking about the south bank or Molineux though, I don't think you can compare atmospheres.
I think there is a drop off after the booze wears off, Liverpool game as an example 2-0 up early doors and 30 mins in the ground is quiet. maybe its because all the beer drinking loud singers have had to go in to start queuing for a beer. :sweatsmile:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Madri and taste in the same sentence? That's a novelty (and yes, courtesy of an email offering me a freebie, l have tried it).

It is above all a triumph for marketing, being about as Spanish as l am, and is allegedly marginally tweaked and rebadged Coors Light brewed in Tadcaster.

Premium, other than price, it isn't.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can only assume the OP has never been in the Steve Bull upper.

I’ve been in SBU for years, but went in the South Bank for the Forest game as gave my ST to my nephew.

Getting served at HT was a breeze compared to the SBU.

W

WasStefan

Madri is carling with a fancy name. Literally. Was speaking to a Molson Coors guy (bit of a ***** cant lie) a few months back in Bohemian after a Wolves game where he was in the same box as Shi. Helped win the contract to install and sell Madri on draft at the ground. Said its just tweaked Carling or other with a fancy name that people lap up. Marketing!

Last edited by a moderator:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pat down? It’s a token gesture at very best. I’ve normally got pockets full of stuff (two vapes, vape liquid, wallet, mobile, glasses case, house keys and most weeks if not driving a hip flask ). They squeeze my pockets and have never once been asked to empty my pockets so I’m not entirely sure what they’re looking for.
Id have keys, phone charger, phone, lighter, cigs now vape, bit of charlie's magical dust, hip flask, assortment of cards(rail pass, oyster, bank card, credit card) and usually a bunch of wrappers in my usual match day Parker + jeans. Haha. Never once got questions on it.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed that sort of smell would really put you off your prawn sandwich.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone to their own I guess. I've tasted both (Carling & Madri) and I know which I prefer by a country mile, marketing or not.
And marketing does play a big part as some folk will pay a kings ransom for a pint of Moretti which I have to say leaves me bewildered.

Personally, I don't mind a pint of real ale but like your lager beers there's plenty of crap out there too !

Now back to the script. I don't drink at H.T. so can't really add to the debate, suffice to say I do notice many empty places on the Southbank come the second half so can only assume that some folk are still queing or watching the output from the flat screen TV with beverage in hand.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the late 70's my Dad and I had a bag searched on the way into the ground by a very round policeman. He spotted the pork pie and his eyes lit up. "Sorry, you can't bring that in here" He said, making a move for the pie. My dad stopped him, patted his stomach and said "I don't think you have got room in there for that mate". Both laughed and we went on our way. Happy days.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. Or he is lying

I was S3, took me circa 5 mins to get a beer and left my seat when the whistle blew for HT.

It’s cramped up there that’s for sure. But getting a beer was far easier than it is in Steve Bull upper.

Maybe I did get lucky. But I’ve been in the South Bank many times for sellout games, lower and upper sections, definitely find it quicker than Steve Bull upper currently is.

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Currently is absolutely woeful. If you don’t go down ten mins before the end of the half you don’t get a beer. There has got to be a solution like faster pumps or drinks that are ready or proper queues. If you went down at the end of the half you would queue the whole half time for a beer.

People standing in the only through routes purposely tensing up their whole body so you can’t get past need to get a massive grip! There is no room, so if you’re stood still in the middle (Why would you do this anyway!!!?!) You need to be prepared to let people past.

Hasn’t changed then

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They do in the North bank and very nice it is too, if bloody expensive.
They do in the Bully at the South Bank end, but it's not reliably available, which means you can queue for a proper pint but end up having to make do with a pint of ****.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
zzzzzzzzzzzz
Is that the sound of the flies buzzing round you? ;)

Being serious, I'd rather our fans were representative of the area rather than a load of tourists, southerners and posh folk (all fine but in moderation).

Is the South Bank worse than the Bully upper? My memory is that the crowding in the concourse is worse in parts than the Bully but it was easier to get a beer and a ****?

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is that the sound of the flies buzzing round you? ;)

Being serious, I'd rather our fans were representative of the area rather than a load of tourists, southerners and posh folk (all fine but in moderation).

Is the South Bank worse than the Bully upper? My memory is that the crowding in the concourse is worse in parts than the Bully but it was easier to get a beer and a ****?
I don’t think it’s particularly great anywhere. I don’t drink in the ground and I time my toilet visits well. It is what it is until it changes.

Back
Top Bottom