Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

South Bank Halftime Experience

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Currently is absolutely woeful. If you don’t go down ten mins before the end of the half you don’t get a beer. There has got to be a solution like faster pumps or drinks that are ready or proper queues. If you went down at the end of the half you would queue the whole half time for a beer.

People standing in the only through routes purposely tensing up their whole body so you can’t get past need to get a massive grip! There is no room, so if you’re stood still in the middle (Why would you do this anyway!!!?!) You need to be prepared to let people past.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
North bank is worse and its takes so long to get off at half and full time. Explains in part why so many north bankers leave early

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Currently is absolutely woeful. If you don’t go down ten mins before the end of the half you don’t get a beer. There has got to be a solution like faster pumps or drinks that are ready or proper queues. If you went down at the end of the half you would queue the whole half time for a beer.

People standing in the only through routes purposely tensing up their whole body so you can’t get past need to get a massive grip! There is no room, so if you’re stood still in the middle (Why would you do this anyway!!!?!) You need to be prepared to let people past.
Problem is because people can’t take drinks back to their seats they have to stand in the concourse to drink.

Can only speak from an SL1 perspective but they could surely relocate the toilets to the stewards room and open up the back of the concourse.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heaven forbid if you want a pint and to go to the loo, particularly if female.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a simple solution for this ...............
Molineux is for football
Pub/Home is for beer
So on that basis

Restaurants shouldn’t sell alcohol
Gigs shouldn’t sell alcohol
Cricket/rugby shouldn’t sell alcohol?

Get real the mark up on prices means wolves make a fortune on alcohol it’s adding to club revenue.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a stand I’ve been in since Sir Jack rebuilt it, so apologies if I’m talking nonsense, but going on comments from others, the fundamental issue is the cramped concourse. Obviously that could be solved by building much bigger concourses in an expanded South Bank, but I think that’s going to be a long wait. Being creative and thinking about my experiences at some other grounds, I wonder if it might not be feasible to make better use of the outside areas at HT, and install some portacabins with additional toilets and refreshments? Similar to the fan zone, but accessible to ticket holders during the game. It would be relatively cheap to expand the size of the outside areas by moving the turnstiles to expand the outside space on one or both sides of the South Bank if needed. If you’ve been to the away end at Charlton, that’s the kind of thing I had in mind.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t believe queues build up, the staff have a huge sense of urgency and move as quickly as possible. They even have hundreds of drinks pre-poured so they can fly through the first raft of customers, maximising revenue and keeping customers happy at the same time.

Sorry, I was thinking of another stadium.

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
So on that basis

Restaurants shouldn’t sell alcohol
Gigs shouldn’t sell alcohol
Cricket/rugby shouldn’t sell alcohol?

Get real the mark up on prices means wolves make a fortune on alcohol it’s adding to club revenue.
Pubs, clubs, restaurants and gigs are not trying to sell alcohol to thousands of people in a 15 minute window.
If you want a beer it means you may have to sacrifice 10-20 minutes of watching the match - that is your choice.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember many years ago (over 50) going to a big rugby match at Twickenham, and at HT they had literally hundreds of already pre-poured pints (but not pre-ordered) ready for all-comers. Made a hell of a difference to the speed you got served.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember many years ago (over 50) going to a big rugby match at Twickenham, and at HT they had literally hundreds of already pre-poured pints (but not pre-ordered) ready for all-comers. Made a hell of a difference to the speed you got served.

I mean it’s not rocket science is it? Modern tills track all the sales, so the operators of the bars know with a high degree of accuracy how much of what is sold at each outlet on average during the HT window. That should allow them to efficiently service that demand, and thereby have spare capacity to meet the currently unmet demand because the queues are too long/slow and people give up.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The main problem with the SB is that they didn't go into the slope for the lowe entrances, so those are halfway up the stand. The upper concourse is therefore both too small and not used enough. Hard to remodel now, but they could increase the upper by building out the back. However, the stand has been pretty much full since the day it was built, so you'd have to think that the only reason it can be worse is if they're selling more. That's happened because you can actually get a decent drink now and not just a 'choice' between Carling and bloody Worthington's. Getting rid of the discrimination against football fans not being able to drink in the stands would also help (it's only taken 33 years to get standing folks, hang in there!).

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pubs, clubs, restaurants and gigs are not trying to sell alcohol to thousands of people in a 15 minute window.
If you want a beer it means you may have to sacrifice 10-20 minutes of watching the match - that is your choice.
You’ve never been to a gig at the NIA or NEC then! I won’t mention Knebworth or the alike

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly my point, same at the cricket too

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I never attempt/bother to buy anything inside the ground these days .Do they still have the magnetic pour from the base beers on offer?After visiting various grounds around the country our facilities are seriously lacking in my view

GV Wolf

Reaction score
Given they have seemed to have stopped selling selling carling in the plastic bottles I had a pint of carling at the Liverpool match and it was flat but at least it was cold. I can only imagine a pint of carling pre poured on a hot day and festering for 30 minutes. I prefer cold and awful rather than tepid and awful.

Harlechlad

Reaction score
The beer is not worth drinking anyway absolute trash. They advertise Salt brewery a goodish craft beer in the ground so why don’t they serve it?!!

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given they have seemed to have stopped selling selling carling in the plastic bottles I had a pint of carling at the Liverpool match and it was flat but at least it was cold. I can only imagine a pint of carling pre poured on a hot day and festering for 30 minutes. I prefer cold and awful rather than tepid and awful.
If you’re concerned about the taste why are you ordering Carling?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I avoid going in at half time because it’s just not worth it. I’d rather sit there and watch a 40 year old bloke try and kick a ball through a hole.

Some people by me stay in the concourse until about 10 mins into the game, go down for drinks about 10 mins before half time and then re-emerge 10 mins into the second half! Definitely not for me, but each to their own.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got back from Ajax vs NEC Nijmegen. They do allow you to take drinks from the concourse to your seat. Sadly, it didn't really help with the queues and I managed to miss Kudus' goal, because when you're able to keep going back and getting more drinks, that's exactly what you do. I don't even drink either! And same with the ladies toilets. So no idea how you solve that one viably.

Atmosphere was quite good (although mostly generated by a drummer and a loudspeaker) but you did get the feeling you were at a big festival where people were just hanging out drinking with the minor distraction of a football match that happened to be going on in front of them.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you get one in nowadays past the pat down?
I noticed Sunderland have banned away fans from taking in coins, vapes and power banks to stop them being thrown at home fans.

Ironically they had to tell their own fans over the tannoy to stop throwing items into the pitch during their 5-1 defeat to stoke on Saturday.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed Sunderland have banned away fans from taking in coins, vapes and power banks to stop them being thrown at home fans.

Ironically they had to tell their own fans over the tannoy to stop throwing items into the pitch during their 5-1 defeat to stoke on Saturday.
Coins seems a difficult one to justify. I can't remember the last time I received a 2p piece in my change :)

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I once sussed out the perfect answer to this problem, and its never bothered me since.
Don't Drink at football, .its only for a couple of hours aye.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Anything like their team I bet they even missed the pitch lol.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I once sussed out the perfect answer to this problem, and its never bothered me since.
Don't Drink at football, .its only for a couple of hours aye.
Thought I'd just add this tale to those who feel they must have a beer at HT (or any time really). My son's partner is a nurse in ICU. Her patient last night was a 65 year old man who got ****ed up, fell out of bed drunk, broke his neck and is now paralysed from the neck down.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought I'd just add this tale to those who feel they must have a beer at HT (or any time really). My son's partner is a nurse in ICU. Her patient last night was a 65 year old man who got ****ed up, fell out of bed drunk, broke his neck and is now paralysed from the neck down.
Ahhh thats terrible...he'd still have a headache then.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ordered 3 Madri in the South Bank yesterday and it was woefully dribbling out the pump. Took about 5 mins from ordering them for them to be ready.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want to go back to the squidgy bottles of Carling but why not try the bottom up pints like Tottenham and Arsenal use.

Why not pre pour beers and have them lined up?

They’re charging good money for the beer and for the actual tickets yet the quality is woefully lacking compared to other clubs in the league.

The stadium is in dire need of refurbishment.

Back
Top Bottom