Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Solbakken or Saunders

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With Stale being so consistently successful at Copenhagen, when he became manager for us, we should have cherry picked the best Copenhagen players too. I remember seeing some stat that their players at the time were on far less wages than our players. We could have purchased their entire team if we could have offloaded our high earners and would have immediately had a successful squad Stale could have worked with.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Stale being so consistently successful at Copenhagen, when he became manager for us, we should have cherry picked the best Copenhagen players too. I remember seeing some stat that their players at the time were on far less wages than our players. We could have purchased their entire team if we could have offloaded our high earners and would have immediately had a successful squad Stale could have worked with.
That would have taken time, involved spending money (Jizz!) and who the hell would have taken Mick's dross? The best players were sold. The rest? No one wanted them.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken's record in Europe with Copenhagen is pretty solid for a team consistently ranked well outside the top 100 in world football
Copenhagen in Europe
They've hacked through qualification to reach the group stages of the CL or EL in 4 of the last 5 years and they've picked up decent scalps along the way like Atalanta and Ajax. They've made it out of the group stages in 3 of the last 5 years too.

After a promising start at Wolves, he was poor/bordering on dire for various reasons but I disagree with the narrative that he is a useless manager. You don't manage the top team in Denmark for over a decade if that's the case. That said, I also don't think he's a leader by any stretch and that showed at FC Koln as well as Wolves where he wasn't able to get buy in from key players and staff to help turn the club around and deliver on his promises in any shape or form.
It is an okay record. Nothing really to write home about though? Nothing that suggests he knows how to play attractive football either, which he clearly doesn't.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That would have taken time, involved spending money (Jizz!) and who the hell would have taken Mick's dross? The best players were sold. The rest? No one wanted them.
Copenhagen signed both foley and margreitter if I remember rightly. Danish football unlike it's bacon isn't very good.

I dunno if it still the case but FC Midtcy-whatever and Brentford have the same owners, but within a season or two of ownership they'd won the league. I think their average attendance was around 8000 when doing so.
How hard was it for brentford to rise through the divisions here?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of interest who were they? I genuinely would like to know. Have any of them done any good over here?

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wasn’t a fan of the Stale regime but I felt sorry for him last night , and to answer the question properly this time, clearly Saunders is nowhere near as good a coach as him.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It is an okay record. Nothing really to write home about though? Nothing that suggests he knows how to play attractive football either, which he clearly doesn't.

Views and all that. It's pretty good for a team consistently ranked about 150 in the world imo. If you include his first spell, he's had wins against Ajax, Man United, Atalanta, Lens, Celtic (x2), Bordeaux, Club Brugge and draws against Barcelona, Chelsea, Valencia, PSV, Juventus, Leicester, Porto etc to spend 2mins longer on this post than I probably should. All those teams are consistently ranked well above Copenhagen in the top 100 teams. I'm no particularly fan of Solbakken, I just don't think he's terrible as a manager that's all. Presumably the Copenhagen directors agree otherwise he would't have been employed there for 12 years. He was pretty terrible at Wolves though :)

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because the danish league is bobbins. And he is manager of the biggest team over there.
It isn't exactly a miracle now is it? There are plenty of Celtic managers that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole too.

Not getting in to the Europa League - but getting to the quarter finals.

Look at who we have had to beat in The Europa League to get to the quarter finals . And one penalty away from getting to the Semi -Finals .

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Views and all that. It's pretty good for a team consistently ranked about 150 in the world imo. If you include his first spell, he's had wins against Ajax, Man United, Atalanta, Lens, Celtic (x2), Bordeaux, Club Brugge and draws against Barcelona, Chelsea, Valencia, PSV, Juventus, Leicester, Porto etc to spend 2mins longer on this post than I probably should. All those teams are consistently ranked well above Copenhagen in the top 100 teams. I'm no particularly fan of Solbakken, I just don't think he's terrible as a manager that's all. Presumably the Copenhagen directors agree otherwise he would't have been employed there for 12 years. He was pretty terrible at Wolves though :)
All those wins/draws are over a period of around 12 years though. And whilst respectable it is by no means outstanding.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he has learnt from his mistakes after failing in England & Germany or maybe he is thriving in an environment of being a big fish in a small pond.

It's irrelevant what he is doing now considering the damage he and drongo Dean did to my club that season is what I'm basing this on.

I imagine Karl is alright I haven't spoke to him for a while though... even the new recruits had no respect for The Stalester :tearsofjoy:
New recruits and Karl Henry V Solbakken. I know who I would want controlling my club.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not getting in to the Europa League - but getting to the quarter finals.

Look at who we have had to beat in The Europa League to get to the quarter finals . And one penalty away from getting to the Semi -Finals .
Screenshot_20200811-162224_Chrome.jpg
So they won 5 drew 4 lost 4 in europe. Teams they have beaten are Istanbul, Celtic, Lugano twice(i genuinely don't who they are?) And Riga. Draws against dynamo Kiev. It's not really that special is it?
Did you watch the game last night? If their keeper didn't have a blinder they would have lost by 4 or 5.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 16835
So they won 5 drew 4 lost 4 in europe. Teams they have beaten are Istanbul, Celtic, Lugano twice(i genuinely don't who they are?) And Riga. Draws against dynamo Kiev. It's not really that special is it?
Did you watch the game last night? If their keeper didn't have a blinder they would have lost by 4 or 5.
I dont think those results prove he "deserved to be **** upon" by our Mid Championship team .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Times analysis of last nights match

"Copenhagen really impressed me... They have been coached to the hilt by Stale Solbakken .

They cant compete in the transfer market so have to overcome that disadvantage by coaching .

In the first half Manchester United saw how hard they were being worked "

Hard work , good coaching .

But we know Morgans old drinking buddy hero- Saunders had the ability to tell a joke with the lads ....

Of course thats the type of manager our players would prefer while they picked up their pay cheques.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think those results prove he "deserved to be **** upon" by our Mid Championship team .
Again is a danish title-winning team really any better than a mid table championship team? Are Celtic
How did they **** upon him? Cos it looked to me like last night was like a lot of our games under solbakken. Two lines of four and pretty desperate defending.
He deserved better? No, we deserved better. We deserved better than no training on christmas day for the first time in years for our boxing day match(was that Peterborough who beat us?) Our opponents trained then, no surprises who won.
I'd go as far as saying the players were **** on by him. Nothing that happened here didn't happen in his previous job at Cologne.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again is a danish title-winning team really any better than a mid table championship team? Are Celtic
How did they **** upon him? Cos it looked to me like last night was like a lot of our games under solbakken. Two lines of four and pretty desperate defending.
He deserved better? No, we deserved better. We deserved better than no training on christmas day for the first time in years for our boxing day match(was that Peterborough who beat us?) Our opponents trained then, no surprises who won.
I'd go as far as saying the players were **** on by him. Nothing that happened here didn't happen in his previous job at Cologne.
Look the players didnt respect him and wanted him out , and that was the cheapest option for a hapless owner , who had given up.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look the players didnt respect him and wanted him out , and that was the cheapest option for a hapless owner , who had given up.
I wanted him out. He was rubbish. Didn't take the job seriously enough.
Lost half his games here like saunders. Both of them can go and do one imo.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick left a load of unprofessional, overhyped, undertalented, waste of space merchants. It took the 2Ms, who sold what skill and talent there was in Mick's team, to the end of the 12/13 season to realise that.

They got Jackett in to administer a much needed colonic irrigation to the club in order to clear out and flush away the old crap! There are precious few of that season's team deserve any respect whatsoever (Sako and SEB bring notable exceptions).

Last edited:

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All those wins/draws are over a period of around 12 years though. And whilst respectable it is by no means outstanding.

One man's respectable European record is another man's pretty good I guess. Views. He was barely a football coach at all earlier in the thread so at least his stock is on the rise! ;)

Agree Copenhagen had a pretty easy route to the quarters, but it doesn't mean they weren't punching above their weight to get there. Both Celtic and Istanbul Basaksehir are bigger clubs, ranked more highly and with significantly larger wage and transfer budgets so chopping through those two in the knock-outs is a good effort, as was taking United to extra time albeit, as you say, with a hefty slice of luck to get there.

Copenhagen were one of the big risers in terms of their UEFA club co-efficient this season which suggests their board of directors might not quite share your view of their season being nothing special. But again, views and all that.

I do agree with you that he was pretty terrible at Wolves though!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick left a Team that had lost 5-1 at home to some crap team down the A41, no-one could have done much with those over hyped, over paid players including Solbakken, just look where most of them ended up..

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick left a Team that had lost 5-1 at home to some crap team down the A41, no-one could have done much with those over hyped, over paid players including Solbakken, just look where most of them ended up..
Incidentally that team had won promotion and stayed up two years prior to it. In terms of league position it was the highest we had been for thirty years. Absolutely crazy that the double relegation happened with those players, and for me it was the catastrophic choices of managers.
A team that got relegated with 15 million to spend think even Paul Lambert might have had a chance with that lot.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wanted him out. He was rubbish. Didn't take the job seriously enough.
Lost half his games here like saunders. Both of them can go and do one imo.
Well its the past. and tonight is one of our most important matches for 50 years.

Let's hope we can both celebrate the future.

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
Thinking back to the Solbakken days. Who was the poster on here who was utterly convinced Margrietter was the new Franz Beckenbauer. Bizarre times.

Didn't some posters think that Sigurdarsson, was the new Ibrahimovic too?

oldgold1877

Reaction score
Stale has gone on to manage again. Saunders was Brazil’s bitch on TalkSPORT whose vain attempts at comedy were as bad as his management. Saunders is the worst manager, no question.

Back
Top Bottom