Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

So who’s the plan B ?

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever it is has to come in at the start of that latest to give them time to reboot the team. We may also have a lot more competition. This is a ridiculous situation.

Agree.... but Wolves being Wolves we will wait till the day before our first scheduled match after the World cup.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest problem we've got now is we're not even offering sloppy seconds! Whoever finally agrees to join will know at best they are 3rd choice. In effect I'd guess we've only got out of work options now, as they will need a role and it is the Prem after all.

Fosun really need to do a top down review now. We've plainly let it out that JL then MB we're our 1st and 2nd choices, and now have a huge amount of egg on our faces. Jeff Shi really needs to be answering to Guo as to how they've spent so much and yet no one wants to come and join us. I know we won't ever hear what is said and don't expect it. But if we do say we're waiting till the WC then you have to expect he'll be summoned back to China to justify this complete and utter ***********!!!!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what ‘wait till the world cup’ even means. As in, wtf difference does that make. We cannot seriously think we are going to lure an international manager, other than perhaps some deadbeat like Southgate.

Ridiculous.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Checks league tables....

Plymouth are top of League 1...Steven Schumacher. Yep. Got to be worth an interview. Albion are after him too, so he must be good.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what ‘wait till the world cup’ even means. As in, wtf difference does that make. We cannot seriously think we are going to lure an international manager, other than perhaps some deadbeat like Southgate.

Ridiculous.

Aren't players most likely to be exhausted after the world cup? Lots of intense matches in a short space of time. Though our current team may not have more than 3 or 4 actually going? Neves, Hwang, Nunes, Sa.....any others? That's if they aren't too injured for the international teams, so get sent back to us to play 90 minutes to run it off.

I don't get this general idea that the World Cup is some kind of time out and everything will be fine after it.
Prediction: The World Cup will be used as the excuse for our poor form after it. Predictable as night follows day.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hasn't Svensson said he's not interested?

Quite possibly between Martins and Bosz.
Not directly but he did say he was fully focused on Mainz
Knowing how he values structure and vision I doubt he'll come into our mess though.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aren't players most likely to be exhausted after the world cup? Lots of intense matches in a short space of time. Though our current team may not have more than 3 or 4 actually going? Neves, Hwang, Nunes, Sa.....any others? That's if they aren't too injured for the international teams, so get sent back to us to play 90 minutes to run it off.

I don't get this general idea that the World Cup is some kind of time out and everything will be fine after it.
Prediction: The World Cup will be used as the excuse for our poor form after it. Predictable as night follows day.
As you say only 3 or 4 would probably go, leaving the new manager with 20+ players to work with for a few weeks without having to prepare for a game, I think that's the point.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i expect this is going to give shi and sellars a big shake up , not only this i cant imagine the players will be able to focus properly with whats going on.

massive game sunday, i guess it may be come out with a statement that we will look to apppoint at the WC time, there needs to be some stabiltiy or guidance with whats going on with David collins etc, or if there is another candidate

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As you say only 3 or 4 would probably go, leaving the new manager with 20+ players to work with for a few weeks without having to prepare for a game, I think that's the point.
Given the work ethic of professional football I would anticipate everyone not involved will just get an extra holiday. Hope I'm wrong.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're surely at the stage of interim manager until the end of the season now. It's clear no one decent wants to join us.... Shows how desperate we are but I'd take a Dyche or Benitez until the end of the season at this point rather than faffing around with no manager until the WC. Write this season off, get an interim and hope they can scramble enough points together to stay up.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Excellent article in The Mirror. One of the best summaries of our situation that I've read.

Really difficult to read on their website, so here it is below.

Wolves faith in short supply as "trust" message comes back to bite them after latest snub
QPR manager Michael Beale has become the latest candidate to withdraw themselves from the running to become the Wolves head coach, after Julen Lopetegui did the same earlier this month

A recruitment process which could only take place in the 21st century, played out in the poisonous court of social media.

On Thursday Wolverhampton Wanderers saw their second 'first-choice' to replace Bruno Lage brutally turn down their advances. But while there were extenuating circumstances surrounding Julen Lopetegui's rejection, Michael Beale's has angered a fanbase already close to boiling point.

Having taking QPR to the top of the Championship, it was believed a rapid promotion, just 15 games into his managerial career was a formality. Alas, the former Aston Villa coach has decided - somewhat admirably - to honour the arrangement he has at Loftus Road, despite the obvious lure of the top flight.

After news of rejection became public, Beale said: "Wolves is a fantastic football club, a historic football club. It was a privilege to be asked to speak to them, but I didn't think it was the right moment. I entered into an agreement here and integrity is a real big thing for me."

Many Wolves fans understand Beale's stance, in fact most will admire him for it. But for this to play out in public does little to stem the ire towards a hierarchy which is facing increasing scrutiny. For six years, since Fosun bought the club from Steve Morgan, Wolves fans have tolerated the unique working arrangement and the reliance on super agent Jorge Mendes.

After all, the man deemed the most powerful in world football has brought them talents beyond their wildest imagination, including the likes of Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota and João Moutinho.

It has meant that detractors to the setup have often been swiped away, despite significant warnings from overseas, most notably Valencia. For while the good times lasted, oversights were afforded.

However, that good will is now in short supply after a managerial search which has veered from the calamitous to the comical in the three-week stretch since dismissing Lage.

That was a snap decision made in the light of a clear turning of the tide when it came to the supporters. Two weeks before his final game in charge, Wolves were beaten 3-0 by Manchester City at Molineux, a defeat which to many, had left the writing on the wall.

Had chairman Jeff Shi and technical director Scott Sellars pulled the lever then, they would have given themselves two weeks of breathing space. A fortnight to find a new coach with a rare break in the unrelenting fixture schedule.

Instead Wolves held their ground. That stay of execution divided fans and seemed to point to the idea that decision makers were willing to stick to their convictions of the summer.

But in the cold light of day, even those convictions were weak. It is understood that at the end of Lage’s first season in charge, Wolves were fluttering eyelashes at potential replacements and had they got a positive reaction, a change could have been made then.

That didn't happen and in response Wolves handed more than £100m to a manager who had lost the trust of those above him. Gone were the stalwarts of the previous regime, club captain Conor Coady allowed to join Everton, while Romain Saiss, Willy Boly and John Ruddy - all players from the promotion season in 2018, all dressing room leaders - were shown the door.

They were changes made with the auspices of ushering in a new era in the Black Country, but behind-the-scenes fingers hovered over the panic button. And when that big red button was pushed, the lack of foresight so many had feared was clear and present.

Since Fosun’s acquisition of the club, there have been five managerial recruitment drives. Two of these were thrown into chaos by a tunnel vision focused on Lopetegui. After rejecting Wolves in 2016, they turned to Walter Zenga - an appointment which lasted just a few months.

Paul Lambert then lasted less than a season, before Nuno Espirito Santo finally provided an element of stability. But that four-year stint is now appearing as the exception to the norm. Messrs Shi and Sellars have approached the current vacancy with a haphazard line of thinking which has been difficult to plot.

From Lopetegui to Rob Edwards, Rob Edwards to Nuno, Nuno to Peter Bosz and then Bosz to Beale. It has been difficult to establish the type of coach Wolves are after and that will hardly endear prospective candidates to taking on the role. Steve Davis and James Collins are now near-certainties to be in the dugout vs Leicester City in what already has all the hallmarks of a relegation six pointer.

In contrast, Brighton ’s chief executive Paul Barber admitted the braintrust at The Amex were already lining up a list of potential candidates for as and when Graham Potter departed. Roberto De Zerbi was quickly identified and while the Italian is still waiting for his first victory in charge, the joined-up thinking is clear for all to see.

In an interview with the club’s media team in 2021 Jeff Shi urged fans to “trust” the process. And their five-year track record meant that was extended. But ever since football paused for the coronavirus pandemic in 2020 Wolves have appeared a club in perpetual decline.

“Sometimes I fear the negativity throughout the fans will impact the staff inside the structure so I made a lot of efforts to talk to them: 'don't listen too much to the fans, focus on your job',” he added at the time.

Wolves appear to have gone back on that golden rule as they lurch to fresh public embarrassments on an almost daily basis. Before rejecting the approach from the Premier League club, Beale admitted it was a massive 24 hours for him.

Those making the decisions at Molineux now face a similarly pivotal period, with trust and optimism at an all-time low. There is no room for further mistakes, particularly with the on-field product doing little to stave off fears of relegation back to the league Beale’s QPR sit atop of.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
edwards coming in to support, steve and james for the next 4 games before world cup.

Three interim coaches
I don't know if there's a direct Chinese proverb equivalent to "if you're in a hole, stop digging" but Shi would be wise to heed the sentiment now.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
I don't know if there's a direct Chinese proverb equivalent to "if you're in a hole, stop digging" but Shi would be wise to heed the sentiment now.
And their own proverb of 'wise man does not step in same river twice' could apply to Nuno ... or Boris!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're surely at the stage of interim manager until the end of the season now. It's clear no one decent wants to join us.... Shows how desperate we are but I'd take a Dyche or Benitez until the end of the season at this point rather than faffing around with no manager until the WC. Write this season off, get an interim and hope they can scramble enough points together to stay up.
The calibre of Benitez and Dyche, no way are they taking this for half a season.

Plus as much as I like Dyche, apart from maybe 3 players we have nowhere near the sort of squad he likes.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've completely messed this up and I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt.
This 100% since laurie and therwell left the club has been a **** show under those two clowns. They’ve made an absolute balls of it again and now they are going to wait till the break when you would hope it would give the new guy a chance to implement his ideas over the break but no it’s wolves so they are going to ***** around till last minute to do something about it like the tx window

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent article in The Mirror. One of the best summaries of our situation that I've read.

Wolves faith in short supply as "trust" message comes back to bite them after latest snub
QPR manager Michael Beale has become the latest candidate to withdraw themselves from the running to become the Wolves head coach, after Julen Lopetegui did the same earlier this month

A recruitment process which could only take place in the 21st century, played out in the poisonous court of social media.

On Thursday Wolverhampton Wanderers saw their second 'first-choice' to replace Bruno Lage brutally turn down their advances. But while there were extenuating circumstances surrounding Julen Lopetegui's rejection, Michael Beale's has angered a fanbase already close to boiling point.

Having taking QPR to the top of the Championship, it was believed a rapid promotion, just 15 games into his managerial career was a formality. Alas, the former Aston Villa coach has decided - somewhat admirably - to honour the arrangement he has at Loftus Road, despite the obvious lure of the top flight.

After news of rejection became public, Beale said: "Wolves is a fantastic football club, a historic football club. It was a privilege to be asked to speak to them, but I didn't think it was the right moment. I entered into an agreement here and integrity is a real big thing for me."

Many Wolves fans understand Beale's stance, in fact most will admire him for it. But for this to play out in public does little to stem the ire towards a hierarchy which is facing increasing scrutiny. For six years, since Fosun bought the club from Steve Morgan, Wolves fans have tolerated the unique working arrangement and the reliance on super agent Jorge Mendes.

After all, the man deemed the most powerful in world football has brought them talents beyond their wildest imagination, including the likes of Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota and João Moutinho.

It has meant that detractors to the setup have often been swiped away, despite significant warnings from overseas, most notably Valencia. For while the good times lasted, oversights were afforded.

However, that good will is now in short supply after a managerial search which has veered from the calamitous to the comical in the three-week stretch since dismissing Lage.

That was a snap decision made in the light of a clear turning of the tide when it came to the supporters. Two weeks before his final game in charge, Wolves were beaten 3-0 by Manchester City at Molineux, a defeat which to many, had left the writing on the wall.

Had chairman Jeff Shi and technical director Scott Sellars pulled the lever then, they would have given themselves two weeks of breathing space. A fortnight to find a new coach with a rare break in the unrelenting fixture schedule.

Instead Wolves held their ground. That stay of execution divided fans and seemed to point to the idea that decision makers were willing to stick to their convictions of the summer.

But in the cold light of day, even those convictions were weak. It is understood that at the end of Lage’s first season in charge, Wolves were fluttering eyelashes at potential replacements and had they got a positive reaction, a change could have been made then.

That didn't happen and in response Wolves handed more than £100m to a manager who had lost the trust of those above him. Gone were the stalwarts of the previous regime, club captain Conor Coady allowed to join Everton, while Romain Saiss, Willy Boly and John Ruddy - all players from the promotion season in 2018, all dressing room leaders - were shown the door.

They were changes made with the auspices of ushering in a new era in the Black Country, but behind-the-scenes fingers hovered over the panic button. And when that big red button was pushed, the lack of foresight so many had feared was clear and present.

Since Fosun’s acquisition of the club, there have been five managerial recruitment drives. Two of these were thrown into chaos by a tunnel vision focused on Lopetegui. After rejecting Wolves in 2016, they turned to Walter Zenga - an appointment which lasted just a few months.

Paul Lambert then lasted less than a season, before Nuno Espirito Santo finally provided an element of stability. But that four-year stint is now appearing as the exception to the norm. Messrs Shi and Sellars have approached the current vacancy with a haphazard line of thinking which has been difficult to plot.

From Lopetegui to Rob Edwards, Rob Edwards to Nuno, Nuno to Peter Bosz and then Bosz to Beale. It has been difficult to establish the type of coach Wolves are after and that will hardly endear prospective candidates to taking on the role. Steve Davis and James Collins are now near-certainties to be in the dugout vs Leicester City in what already has all the hallmarks of a relegation six pointer.

In contrast, Brighton ’s chief executive Paul Barber admitted the braintrust at The Amex were already lining up a list of potential candidates for as and when Graham Potter departed. Roberto De Zerbi was quickly identified and while the Italian is still waiting for his first victory in charge, the joined-up thinking is clear for all to see.

In an interview with the club’s media team in 2021 Jeff Shi urged fans to “trust” the process. And their five-year track record meant that was extended. But ever since football paused for the coronavirus pandemic in 2020 Wolves have appeared a club in perpetual decline.

“Sometimes I fear the negativity throughout the fans will impact the staff inside the structure so I made a lot of efforts to talk to them: 'don't listen too much to the fans, focus on your job',” he added at the time.

Wolves appear to have gone back on that golden rule as they lurch to fresh public embarrassments on an almost daily basis. Before rejecting the approach from the Premier League club, Beale admitted it was a massive 24 hours for him.

Those making the decisions at Molineux now face a similarly pivotal period, with trust and optimism at an all-time low. There is no room for further mistakes, particularly with the on-field product doing little to stave off fears of relegation back to the league Beale’s QPR sit atop of.
Blimey. Seems the Mirror isn't just a red propaganda machine that is still trying to convince everyone MMR causes autism

Clipboard

Reaction score

That's a very fair summary.

Back
Top Bottom