Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

So has Doherty taken his game to the next level?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely horrible move for him as most of us expected. But lets not forget what Doc gave to us and Semedo hasn't matched any of that yet or even come close, regardless of whether he is a better player or not.
Lets not forget Doc was here for 10 years and gave 2 good seasons, Semedo 18 months and consistently good

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doherty came into his own at Wolves when Nuno arrived and saw a specific role he could play. Up to that he had looked a decent Championship player. Once his role and position were defined he came into his own. Indeed if during games he contributed in other manners some posters tended to be critical of him. I recall attending a game at Brighton where we had Adama playing up front, which allowed Matt to play a more defensive role, quite well as it turned out on the day but he was being rubbished on MM as being ineffective in that particular game. To me the move to Spurs never made sense. It didn't appear he was looking for a move but it did involve a significant rise in wages so no doubt for a few dollars more he went. I heard and saw it described as a typical Mourinho signing. If it is - and I believe it was - an illustration of just how limited he was as a manager. Whether Conte will allow him in time fulfill a similar role at Spurs remains to be seen, alternatively he could rebuild his career in the Premiership if he takes a cut in salary and joins a mid-table club like Crystal Palace, Brentford or Southampton. Best of luck to the lad, I look forward to Ronan, Richards or/and Carty fulfilling there potential at the club.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc was an excellent player from us, I think though that he was well suited for our tactics, and he was playing at the top of his potential.

Spurs might have been a massive pay rise, but never saw it working from a football perspective.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly feel a lot of the disrespect for Doherty has come from some fans getting fed up with some using him and his goals for us as a way to constantly keep having a pop at Semedo especially last season! It became so tiresome at times!!

I liked Doherty when he was here respect him for what he has done but if it was a choice between the two Semedo every time!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't have to do a fat lot of defending either
Sadly that isn't quite correct, there's a big difference between not having to do a lot of defending and being a lumbering oaf that can't be ***** to get back to defend.

That said he was our lumbering oaf, he had other qualities that suited how we played and I can see absolutely no reason to boo him. We've now got a better player, he's moved on and so should our fans - frankly how anyone wants to boo a player that scored the winner he got against Man City is beyond me.

KFordOriginal

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s easy to look at Doc as slow and lazy, he has that way about him.
But I’ve lost count the amount of times he picked up the ball from Neves, played a one two and ghosted past players.
Also had a knack of just arriving in the box from nowhere and scoring some important goals.
Spurs fans hate him with a passion , yet he’s had to play in a back four and recently left wing back. He’s hasn’t played very often and is unlucky he’s at a club that’s in a mess.
One positive is he’s on a fortune £££££££
Also for an Arsenal fan he might be quite proud of how it’s panning out

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Doc and certainly wouldn’t boo him, but it wasn’t like a vicious booing… it was pantomime stuff to be honest. I thought it was good natured banter rather than nasty.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Sadly that isn't quite correct, there's a big difference between not having to do a lot of defending and being a lumbering oaf that can't be ***** to get back to defend.

That said he was our lumbering oaf, he had other qualities that suited how we played and I can see absolutely no reason to boo him. We've now got a better player, he's moved on and so should our fans - frankly how anyone wants to boo a player that scored the winner he got against Man City is beyond me.
Booing him utterly pathetic.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc is doing great as an Arsenal fan what’s not to like about from the fact he plays for spurs..

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Did a good job for us and scored some crucial goals.
When I heard about Spurs interest, I was disappointed but that is football.
We move on and are doing OK.
I won't boo him but he is history now and.the Doc has been replaced.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I must have some serious issues with Semedo because for the life of me I can't understand the praise he gets. I think he's very, very average. But I suppose I must be wrong?

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you are comparing him to those players I just mentioned I dunno what to say. Nuno sold him because he knew that Doc had hit his limit, didn't have the legs to get up and down, he made brilliant runs & had an excellent football brain but his passing was very poor. He essentially got to play as an inside forward.

He did very well for us, but the deal was an excellent one.
Why would I be comparing Doc to those you mentioned … you were saying that WB is a crucial position , I agree in certain systems it is indeed crucial ( ie Nuno’s Wolves) Doc was an important part of that … you were downplaying the influence he had .

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must have some serious issues with Semedo because for the life of me I can't understand the praise he gets. I think he's very, very average. But I suppose I must be wrong?
You are, but fair dos for considering it.
He’s very average in terms of decisive, match defining attacking contributions.
But he’s been consistently good this season in defending, and allowing us to attack. Constantly showing, stretching play, interceptions.
He does look and perform like a £30m full/wing back now. Honest. Because one that’s good in the opposing box as well is a £50m WB nowadays.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless of whether he's taken his game to the next level, more importantly, is he Home Grown?

Back
Top Bottom