Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sir Jack - Any Personal Memories?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot has quite correctly been published about Sir Jack and there are lots of great stories (personal favourite being when the Queen and Prince Phillip were staying at his residence in the Bahamas - the Royal guests were intrigued why Jack kept nipping out for a few minutes over dinner. Seems he was listening to a Wolves match on the radio).

One small memory. I had business dealings years ago with a monastery in Wolverhampton. We were owed a small amount of money which was long overdue. I called and spoke to one of the sisters who apologised and said "God will provide". A few days later we had a cheque signed by the great man.

Are there any other personal memories?

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to work at the Mount and he was a regular visitor. Always very kind and always tipped. Didn’t care about the money but it’s rare in the hotel trade for customers to show any respect. He always did.

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I never met him but I remember being on a coach for Villa Park for the Semi Final against Arsenal.As all of the coaches pulled away we noticed there was Sir Jack stood there in his blazer and Wolves rosette giving us all the thumbs up
I hadn’t realised at the time that he had just been released from hospital and despite feeling unwell he insisted on coming to the ground to wave off the coaches .
A man of the people .

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I met him trying to get his autograph as a child. He replied that i should get the autograph of the elderly gentlrman next to him. I asked who he was?
He replied "johnny Hancocks"

I met him a lot later (chesterfield away in the cup) and asked him if he thought frankowski would come good. His face said it all.
Very friendly gentleman. Nice guy.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the South Bank when he came and stood for the last game.

I met him in the BW Stand corporate toilets, roaring drunk after a freebie afternoon. Shook his hand and then realised i hadn't washed them. He never said anything but must have noticed.

Cardiff before the play off final , when he drove to the stadium car park down St Mary Street and enjoyed it so much with everyone outside the pubs waving at him, he went round in a circle and came past again 5 minutes later.

Blackburn away, 1st game of the 2003/4 prem season (we got hammered), we crossed the road at a crossing and waved at the car for waiting....SJH was driving himself and had 3 women in the car with him, gave us the usual thumbs up.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was serving in HMS Marlborough when the ship visited Grand Bahama island- we were the first RN ship to visit in a few years and I was the liaison officer for the visit. The Captain was told that I was a Wolves supporter and invited me for drinks with SJH when he visited the ship for lunch. He had a “Mrs Haywood” with him, a very smart lady; I was told that there was another “Mrs Haywood” in Miami, and the real Mrs Haywood in the U.K!!!
We had a long chat and thereafter SJH attended every social and sporting function during the week we were there and always made a bee-line for me to give me the latest news from his son (then Chairman) and share match reports that had been faxed across. The Captain was not too pleased that SJH spent longer talking to me than anyone else!
This was the time when there were rumours of Steve Bull being sold, and SJH asked me if SB was any good! I told that he could not be sold!
SJH paid for all of the transport for the ship’s company visits and sports teams during our stay.
When we left I received a letter from SJH that introduced me to the club and told the club secretary to provide me with match tickets whenever I wanted them! I only used the letter once to get tickets to a sold out cup match, but much later on I did get a phone call from Rachel Heyhoe-Flint explaining that SJH did this a lot and the club could not really afford to keep honouring all his promises!!

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was collecting tickets one day. As I strolled back up Waterloo Rd by the main entrance there was Jack.
He had just taken delivery of the new team coach. "Would you like to take a look" he said. He then gave me a guided half hour tour of the coach. He was very proud of it. I'll never forget it.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I was collecting tickets one day. As I strolled back up Waterloo Rd by the main entrance there was Jack.
He had just taken delivery of the new team coach. "Would you like to take a look" he said. He then gave me a guided half hour tour of the coach. He was very proud of it. I'll never forget it.
Was It Mark McGhee?

Last edited:

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Think it was 1996 - League Cup quarter final at Villa. I was living in London and got the train up. On the way back I became aware that Sir Jack was on the train - chatting away. On arrival at Euston at gone midnight I made my way down the stairs to the taxi rank - for trip back to Fulham. Looked round and saw Sir Jack behind me in the queue. I knew he lived in Knightsbridge and so offered him a lift - he accepted and offered to pay when we arrived - I was having none of it - he told me to contact Rachel and join him in the boardroom. I never did but Rachel did sort out for my boy to meet the players after a game.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Driving to Elland Road for the QF v Leeds Scum 1990s, gold n black scarves flowing out of the windows. Not too far from the ground, Sir Jack and RHF overtook us. Sir Jack, big beaming smile, gave us the trademark thumbs up. What a day! Not even the few Leeds fans who thought they try it on (ha ha) with me and my boys after the game could ruin that day!

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the South Bank when he came and stood for the last game.

I met him in the BW Stand corporate toilets, roaring drunk after a freebie afternoon. Shook his hand and then realised i hadn't washed them. He never said anything but must have noticed.

Cardiff before the play off final , when he drove to the stadium car park down St Mary Street and enjoyed it so much with everyone outside the pubs waving at him, he went round in a circle and came past again 5 minutes later.

Blackburn away, 1st game of the 2003/4 prem season (we got hammered), we crossed the road at a crossing and waved at the car for waiting....SJH was driving himself and had 3 women in the car with him, gave us the usual thumbs up.
I was going to mention the Blackburn game. I never met him, but did see him outside Molineux (including that Blackburn game). I hope I'm right in thinking he had a Jaguar, and had Wolves flags coming out from the sides of the doors.

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My old man was collecting a signed ball for a raffle from reception in the newly built Billy Wright stand, I was probably about 12 or 13, while waiting i was looking round the trophy collection when Sir Jack came and started talking to me about the history of the club and how it was going to be an exciting time to be a Wolves fan. I remember telling him that we had to keep Bully and how amazing he was, and he saying how his dream was for us to win the FA cup again.

6 months later I was lucky enough to meet him again and he remembered me, he offered us tickets to the next game, I said thank you but explained we already had season tickets, so he invited me and my Dad to a game in the directors box. Very special day.

Wonderful man

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was going to mention the Blackburn game. I never met him, but did see him outside Molineux (including that Blackburn game). I hope I'm right in thinking he had a Jaguar, and had Wolves flags coming out from the sides of the doors.
I remember him having a Rover 800, he would only buy British cars

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it was actually a Rover, but cannot remember for sure now.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bottle year, last game of the season up at Sheffield Weds, after the drive back we go into the Chinese restaurant in Compton and SJH is already seated and he tells us how is is moved to tears and very humbled about the level of support the fans had given that day.

One Sat night in Sir Jacks restaurant, the manager who I used to take the **** out of as he was a Villa fan asked if we wouldn’t mind making space at our table for some extra visitors. It was SJH, his partner and an AA breakdown man. SJH has been to say his farewells to Billy Wright and his car had broken down, SJH was very upset about Billy but needed to ensure the AA man had a good meal before setting off back down south.

There was more conversation that went on during these 2 occasions but both times he was a diamond and very humble man.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i once asked him on here for 5 grand for a deposit on a house. chickee said it made him laff. x

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wrote to him as a kid asking he he’d be able to help us out with supplying my primary school a kit, to which he wrote back wishing us luck and sent a signed ball saying to raffle it off, much to the headteachers surprise (I hadn’t told them what I was up to). The school actually gave me the ball (still have it), and raised the money with via an event of some sort.

We got the kit, and we won the cup with a 14-0 win in the final. One of the lads on that team went to play for WBA but that’s another story…

God bless Sir Jack.

Kennedy

Reaction score
I met him a few times.

After the play off final and when I had my wedding reception at the Molineux spring to mind.

My cousin spotted him outside and made him wait while he came and fetched me for a pic etc.

My cousin HATES Wolves with a passion. He is a committed Walsall fan and i exaggerate how much he hates Wolves. We didn't think he would actually go the reception.

Anyway, point is, he still hates Wolves but Sir Jack charmed the pants off him and made his day by being so affable and patient with him and my cousin was full of admiration and respect for him.

If we had got up into the Prem early in his tenure I am convinced we would have been top four level / European team. Jack's spending initially was quite a statement. Geoff Thomas era, that team with the added Prem money and Graham Taylor could have done so much more.

Thomas, Daley, Froggatt, Richards, Bull etc etc we had the players to get up and stay up.
Injuries and bad fortuen killed em. Such a cruel period of our History.

God Bless you and thumbs up Sir Jack.

Hpoolfella

Reaction score
I met the great man when Wolves played at Elland Road in Glen Hoddles reign. Sir Jack kindly had his photo taken with my stepson and when i explained who Sir Jack was and how he saved Wolves. Sir Jack was so humble - step son looked at him and in typical cheeky child way he said to him so are you minted can you lend me a tenner lmao. Sir Jack just laughed his head off.

He was so approachable and had so much time for all Wolves fans

Alfawolves

Reaction score
I have no memories to share, but reading everybody else's has brought a big smile to my face, and reminded my what a true legend he was.

Thank you all for sharing .
Four of us crammed into my alfa gtv outside Barnsley in the traffic no idea what year - jack appears alongside in a range rover I think- smiles and we wave back. He suddenly realises Italian car and didn't look pleased....!!

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when he came down to Palace I think it was and he sat in the train from central London to Selhurst surrounded by loads of Wolves fans. You could see he was loving all the excitement. His son was sitting opposite and really not sure at all what to do.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will always remember shaking hands with Sir Jack at a home match in the 80’s.

I was with my brother walking towards the main entrance and Sir Jack was making his way from the car park in Waterloo Road with a security guard. Fans were clapping and chanting his name. I just remember waiting for the great man and walking up to him and saying ‘Thank you Sir Jack for what you are doing for our great Football Club’.

We shook hands and he said ‘Thank you boy’.

I was in my thirties at the time!

I’m now 69 and I have never forgot what Sir Jack said to me.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot has quite correctly been published about Sir Jack and there are lots of great stories (personal favourite being when the Queen and Prince Phillip were staying at his residence in the Bahamas - the Royal guests were intrigued why Jack kept nipping out for a few minutes over dinner. Seems he was listening to a Wolves match on the radio).

One small memory. I had business dealings years ago with a monastery in Wolverhampton. We were owed a small amount of money which was long overdue. I called and spoke to one of the sisters who apologised and said "God will provide". A few days later we had a cheque signed by the great man.

Steve Bull signed the cheque?

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No personal memories but that first paragraph made me chuckle

Chickie

Reaction score
Thank you Highlandwolf2 for starting this thread, it is so warmly touching to read people’s memories …and to see how SJH still holds - will always hold - a special and personal place in the hearts of many. There were few things he enjoyed more than coming across a Wolves supporter while out and about, and having a word with that kindred spirit. It made him very, very happy! ❤️❤️

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Coming to the close of one game, and feeling particularly strongly about something, Sir Jack decided he'd like to speak to the comms team after the match. It was put to me to see if I could set this up for him.
First attempt, trying to get a number that Sir Jack could ring, I think they probably thought I was a crank. Actually, they definitely did!
Second attempt, providing a number for them to phone Sir Jack themselves, worked out. Sir Jack had his chat with them on air.
This created quite a stir at the time, and it was reported in at least one national newspaper on the Monday that the radio station had been contacted by 'Sir Jack's secretary'.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coming to the close of one game, and feeling particularly strongly about something, Sir Jack decided he'd like to speak to the comms team after the match. It was put to me to see if I could set this up for him.
First attempt, trying to get a number that Sir Jack could ring, I think they probably thought I was a crank. Actually, they definitely did!
Second attempt, providing a number for them to phone Sir Jack themselves, worked out. Sir Jack had his chat with them on air.
This created quite a stir at the time, and it was reported in at least one national newspaper on the Monday that the radio station had been contacted by 'Sir Jack's secretary'.
I hope your swear filter was on?

Woz_Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Met SJH at Wigan away, the night Keogh scored for our first away win of thr season.
I was in corporate for a work thing, surrounded by Wigan supporting suits.
Away end was epic that night and at the final whistle Sir Jack was in the adjacent directors area applauding the team off the pitch.
As all the Wigan suits had scurried off I got a thumbs up as we were the only ones left celebrating. Went over and we spoke for a while, he was over the moon we had won and he was so appreciative of the Wolves fans giving their all that night. Asked me why I was there and not in the away end...... free beer was the reply...

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was doing the Molineux stadium tour in the mid ‘90s with some work colleagues and at one point we were sat in the Director’s Box while the guide was explaining some stuff to us. Then Sir Jack turned up and chatted to us for a few minutes. It made the day tbh.

Back
Top Bottom