Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sir Jack and SS Great Britain

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Sorry It won’t let me upload the pic and a it’s a bit random post but... I had the pleasure of being onboard SS Great Britain in Bristol today, whilst in the bar I noticed a plaque to honour Sir Jack Hayward for his work/donations to the ship and museum. I suppose he was always a legend to me because of Wolves and it’s nice to know he had respect and support all over.

Reaction score
One of very many gifts to the Nation - hence his nickname Union Jack. If I remember correctly Lundy Island was a birthday present to the Queen.

Great man.
Not just big gifts.
I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Sir Jack in the 90’s.
I worked in a manufacturing company in the Black Country and we were alerted that he was going to visit our factory shop. The CEO knew I was a Wolves fan and invited me to meet with him in the coffee shop. Sir Jack had chosen products to buy, but refused the offer of not paying for them, saying that whenever he was in the country he always tried to buy locally made goods for presents and his own use.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sir Jack Hayward also donated £500,000 to a group of people restoring a Vulcan bomber.

Sadly numerous Wolves Managers donated millions of Sir Jack's money not on the worthwhile restoration of the SS Great Britain or the awesome Vulcan, rather than bombers they spent large sums on " bummers "

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Years ago where I worked had business dealings with a local convent. A bit embarrassed we had to chase them for money (quite a small amount). The Mother Superior said “God will provide”. Guess who paid the bill? (Not a joke!).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of very many gifts to the Nation - hence his nickname Union Jack. If I remember correctly Lundy Island was a birthday present to the Queen.

Great man.
I loved what Sir Jack did for Wolves. However making random 'gifts' to the nation isn't the same as staying put and paying your fair share rather than going into tax exile. I never understand why such individuals are still given UK honours.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved what Sir Jack did for Wolves. However making random 'gifts' to the nation isn't the same as staying put and paying your fair share rather than going into tax exile. I never understand why such individuals are still given UK honours.
To be fair, how many islands have you given to the queen?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I do understand the distain for tax exiles where they make their money and choose to leave the country. However, I don't think Sir Jack fitted that description from what I remember. I am sure he started building Grand Bahamas freeport after the war when it was just swamps. I do think his father was a wealthy man and later in live he did inherit big money but he started in the Bahamas before becoming vastly wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom