Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sin bins and semi automated offside technology soon

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is fair to say that the temporary absence of one player has far less effect on the competitiveness of a team in football than it does in either code of rugby. It is easier to ride out the storm by changing the shape and tactics for the duration of the penalty.
Agreed.
Ten minutes from the end and your hanging on at 1-0, or 1-1, for your life. A centre back gets binned. You just sub someone off and bring on another CB.

Last edited:

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have sin bins in Step 7 Football (Step 11 in the Football league) and they work because it's more to do with the respect toward the ref.

My issue with the Pro game is just one thing.

Consistency - but unfortunately the People and process are not always on same wave length even now on VAR.

So for me in the Pro game - No

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Sin bins will not make the game fairer as referees will continue to inevitably be inconsistent in its application.

I am happy with goal-line technology but NOT all the rest.

Offside was MUCH less controversial and 'fairer' when we simply relied on ref and linesman on pitch to decide. The current nonsense of parallel lines is so flawed it is laughable. Referees already have the power to sort most of this if only they had the will. Yellow card for challenging decision/dissent. Second yellow if repeated. Yellow card if players do not immediately make reasonable effort to retreat 10 yards after foul.

We may lose a few players to reds for 3/4 weeks, but they will quickly learn....

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Hang on, is IFAB about to do some work "again"??!

What have they done since 1886, when it was formed?

-Defined the lines on the pitch
- invented the throw in
- linesmen introduced
- invented the offside rule, and changed it a couple of times over 138 years
- prohibited goalies from picking up backpasses

Anything else?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sin bins will be gamed just like everything else. imagine if you could get a team down to 8 or 9 players even for 5 minutes? priceless advantage

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's also talk about the suggestions Arsene Wenger made for offsides to come in from next season.

In a nutshell, his suggestions were that if any part of an attackers body is onside, then they are onside.

That one will fundamentally change everything. For the better maybe?
Like it used to be or close to it.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football used to be simple. Goal, go bananas, quick glance at the lino (just in case) as you surge down the terraces minus a shoe.

As technology has been added, so have seemingly hundreds of rule changes (including changes to changes) been added. Then there's the variances of decisions based on the shifting sands of defining what is clear and obvious.

More technology will mean even more changes, even if that's not the outward intent.

By the year 2050 we'll have cyborgs as refs, the entire pitch 3D laser mapped, the players, their clothing plus the ball biometrically microchipped and pies banned due to unhealthy emissions.

Those who control football are joy robbing narcissistic control freaks. I like them as much as I do toothache and Neil Maupay.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The only positive I can take from it is if cynically pulling back an opponent to stop a promising attack is an automatic 10 minute sin-bin offence. Might finally stop it happening if teams are forced down to 10 men.

I was over the moon when Philip Billing was sent off at the weekend for a cynical foul that injured Huson-Odoi. Yes, he might not have meant to rake his studs down his achilles, but he did mean to take him out and to 'take a yellow'.
I would think we would be one of the biggest beneficiaries of sin bins. Article on sky sports today says we have the highest number of dribbles this season. How many times does our play get stopped because of the opposition taking one for the team. Feels like mutliple times a game. Was even worse when we had traore, with defenders and midfielders taking it into turns to tactically foul him.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what happens if you are sin-binned in injury time?

Is game extended? Does sin bin stop at end of game? Does it carry forward over to next game? If player doesn’t start in next game does it carry over to a random player or until the next time that player starts?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm all for semi-automated offsides. If we can "Hawkeye-ify" that so it is quick, accurate and consistent there can be few complaints. Sin bins however, I have been turned off by. Good idea on paper for things like 'orange card' offences; its praxis however will be another nail in Football's coffin and we all know it.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what happens if you are sin-binned in injury time?

Is game extended? Does sin bin stop at end of game? Does it carry forward over to next game? If player doesn’t start in next game does it carry over to a random player or until the next time that player starts?
Injury time/time added on is now so long you could be sin binned twice and still get back on lol
I dont like all this micro management in what should be a simple game
Goal line technology great,even the offside if governed properly is ok
Leave the rest to the ref and only use VAR when its needed and get rid of the "clear and obvious" bs

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t agree with that. Imagine being clearly yards onside and having a goal ruled out because someone on the opposite side of the pitch is a foot offside
Well that’s how it used to be

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
So you want to go back to teams defending like Arsenal under George Graham, catching players coming back from an offside position when the balls on the other side of the pitch and not likely to get involved in any moves?
there are teams today who sit deep and spoil and look for a counter. there will be ways around it like there always is with every tactic.

Reaction score
Hang on, is IFAB about to do some work "again"??!

What have they done since 1886, when it was formed?

-Defined the lines on the pitch
- invented the throw in
- linesmen introduced
- invented the offside rule, and changed it a couple of times over 138 years
- prohibited goalies from picking up backpasses

Anything else?

keeper not allowed to pick the ball up from a throw in
Keeper only allowed to hold the ball for 6 seconds…but they just decided not to enforce this anyway

Reaction score
there are teams today who sit deep and spoil and look for a counter. there will be ways around it like there always is with every tactic.
@Mr Chad made a good point earlier; so you’re advocating that Cunhas second goal at Chelsea should be offside?
The offside rule, or atleast the application of it isn’t great, but that certainly wouldn’t be good for football, you’d see even more ruled out

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The offside system doesn't fall into "not broke, don't fix..." because its very broken and very much needs fixing.

Anything that delays a goal celebration by 5 minutes whilst drawing lines can **** right off, and any way to get rid of that is good news.

That's VAR, not offside. Point taken though.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be plenty of 5 a side during games, then

I fear that Wolves v Manure / Arsenal / Liverpool is going to be 8 Wolves v 11 of them. It will just be another one rule for the bourgeoisie and another for the proletariat ! You only had to see how Skippy the Bush Kangaroo Gillett was happy to be surrounded by 8 Mancs every time a decision went against them last Thursday night , while Mario got a straight red for being somewhere in the stadium at Southampton !!!!!!

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's VAR, not offside. Point taken though.

But VAR won't need to get so lengthily involved in the decisions. Which is the only issue for me. I'm not one of those who complains when a goal is disallowed for a mm offside. Tough ****... a mm is as good as a mile. Just get it right, but quicker.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football isn’t broke, so why change it!?

VAR (imo) has done more harm than good and I’m getting the impression there are a few jobsworths trying to justify an existence.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
@Mr Chad made a good point earlier; so you’re advocating that Cunhas second goal at Chelsea should be offside?
The offside rule, or atleast the application of it isn’t great, but that certainly wouldn’t be good for football, you’d see even more ruled out
why not just do away with offside altogether?

either have a definite offside or dont, this inbetween nonsense is just that.

Reaction score
They’d be better off focusing on how to reduce the number of decisions that a referee can **** up rather than create a load more predominantly subjective decisions for them to make.
Yea, they haven’t got a grip of var yet, why put more pressure on them?
Is it a diversion tactic? Bring in a new rule temporarily which will obviously get us all talking and complaining…meanwhile we forget about var a bit? Takes the pressure off them and takes var out of the spotlight

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR in theory is great, but it needs more consistency and more of a "black and white" ruling structure.

Sin bins could in theory be great, but then you get into the issue where things get missed and lead to goals, etc that starts to hurt the game. If they are going with sin bins, they should have two refs on the field every game.

Penalties in hockey USUALLY work well (and better with two refs), but there's times when it's infuriating.

In reality, I think time wasting should just be a straight yellow. I hate time wasting so much.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was never the case though. A player pulling the ball back to someone who scored was deemed to not be interfering with play.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty please, can we just stop ****ing fixing something that isn't broken? In what other field would you start tampering with something that is universally loved. They'll tinker away until they utterly wreck it.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really, the ref still had the option to rule the player wasn’t interfering with play.
Not in my day as far as I remember in the sixties when life was so simple :tearsofjoy:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Sorry, why would Cunha's second goal be ruled out?

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
Sorry, why would Cunha's second goal be ruled out?
Neto was technically in an offside position when Cunha shot. He was approx 1 foot from the bhline having pulled the ball back, and no defender (not even the keeper I don't think) was goal side of him. Under Bods suggestion we would ignore the fact that he was clearly not interfering with play at that point, and give him offside.

Obviously that would be ridiculous, but that is what would happen if we adopted Bods idea that Offside is Offside

Reaction score
Neto was technically in an offside position when Cunha shot. He was approx 1 foot from the bhline having pulled the ball back, and no defender (not even the keeper I don't think) was goal side of him. Under Bods suggestion we would ignore the fact that he was clearly not interfering with play at that point, and give him offside.

Obviously that would be ridiculous, but that is what would happen if we adopted Bods idea that Offside is Offside
And it just couldn’t happen. I get the call for simplicity, but it would be a disgrace to have a goal like that ruled out. The interfering element was a positive change, seeing more goals.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not in my day as far as I remember in the sixties when life was so simple :tearsofjoy:
Brought up in the seventies, as I remember it it was always at the discretion of the ref, otherwise like @Mr Chad pointed out, the player crossing the ball would nearly always be offside, which was never the case.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about scrapping the offside rule completely? Let players stand where they want. This season, there's been a trend for "basketball football", where teams are just ignoring the middle and going from end to end alternating chances. We've had a few and it's very entertaining. Why not encourage more of it?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
How about scrapping the offside rule completely? Let players stand where they want. This season, there's been a trend for "basketball football", where teams are just ignoring the middle and going from end to end alternating chances. We've had a few and it's very entertaining. Why not encourage more of it?
How about just leaving the game we love alone and stop trying to fix things that aren't broken?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The time wasting in the ten minutes will be ridiculous.

That will then lead to stopping the clock.

I think it's far too subjective, so I would leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom