Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sin bins and semi automated offside technology soon

JJ59

Reaction score
Ifab, the games lawmakers meet in Scotland next month and will discuss sin bins and offside technology. They are expected to approve trials for both projects. The Premier League would then introduce a semi automated system involving microchipped match balls next season. The FA are likely to approve a trial for sin bins in next years FA cup. Players could be binned for dissent, shirt pulls or cynical fouls. Sounds good, but then so did VAR.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Ifab, the games lawmakers meet in Scotland next month and will discuss sin bins and offside technology. They are expected to approve trials for both projects. The Premier League would then introduce a semi automated system involving microchipped match balls next season. The FA are likely to approve a trial for sin bins in next years FA cup. Players could be binned for dissent, shirt pulls or cynical fouls. Sounds good, but then so did VAR.
VAR for corner and throwin next season

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sin bins will be absolute death of football.

VAR was already killing it but this would be the kill shot, for me.

Football wasn’t broken and the areas that were had been fixed. Now it’s just a bunch of idiots trying to improve something that can’t be improved with introductions that aren’t needed.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sinbins....wonderful, a whole new tool for cheating.
Can you imagine the games… teams will spend hours and hours on the training ground working on how to defend with a man down for 5/10mins or however long. As soon as somebody goes into the sin bin it will be feigning head injuries, time wasting, tactical fouls… just anything to kill momentum.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
offsides, i mean proper offsides none of this second phase of the first part of the second phase nonsense, would be fairly simple to do with technology. A sensor in every players heel of their boots (so they all being measured by the same metric) a sensor in the ball, computer doing what they are good at doing and calculating where everyone is as soon as the ball is struck. It would be near instant. In fact it would be far better, so if offside your offside, none of this crap about not affecting play, if you're on the pitch you're affecting play.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
offsides, i mean proper offsides none of this second phase of the first part of the second phase nonsense, would be fairly simple to do with technology. A sensor in every players heel of their boots (so they all being measured by the same metric) a sensor in the ball, computer doing what they are good at doing and calculating where everyone is as soon as the ball is struck. It would be near instant. In fact it would be far better, so if offside your offside, none of this crap about not affecting play, if you're on the pitch you're affecting play.
Goodness me - I could have written the same almost word for word!

Lastly, sin-bins are not my cup of tea either - absolutely rubbish idea imv

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sin bin for the cynical "professional foul" makes sense. The punishment is instant. At the moment such actions are only addressed in retrospect, if at all, when yellow cards are added up. There is every incentive for the "take one for the team" approach. These actions are cheating, which can have game changing consequences. There should be no situation where you can effecivly gamble on the outcome of an illegal challenge in this way. The sin bin evens up the odds on game spoiling tactics.

binners

Reaction score
Can you imagine the games… teams will spend hours and hours on the training ground working on how to defend with a man down for 5/10mins or however long. As soon as somebody goes into the sin bin it will be feigning head injuries, time wasting, tactical fouls… just anything to kill momentum.
Feigning head injuries and time wasting yes. But tactical fouls no as that player could join his team mate in the bin

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's also talk about the suggestions Arsene Wenger made for offsides to come in from next season.

In a nutshell, his suggestions were that if any part of an attackers body is onside, then they are onside.

That one will fundamentally change everything. For the better maybe?

Reaction score
Can’t agree with that. Imagine being clearly yards onside and having a goal ruled out because someone on the opposite side of the pitch is a foot offside

Reaction score
There's also talk about the suggestions Arsene Wenger made for offsides to come in from next season.

In a nutshell, his suggestions were that if any part of an attackers body is onside, then they are onside.

It advantages the attackers a lot more. But I don’t think it solves the time var would take to review an incident? Instead at looking at a toe offside, they’ll just look for a heel onside?

JJ59

Reaction score
IFAB should start by voting themselves out of existence, it seems a very strange organisation and not fit for purpose.
Apparently when it comes to vote each of the home nations has one vote, FIFA has four votes.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It advantages the attackers a lot more. But I don’t think it solves the time var would take to review an incident? Instead at looking at a toe offside, they’ll just look for a heel onside?

It should reduce the amount of checks that need to be done though, and the time for those checks to be completed.

For example, using one from the weekend, the Sheffield United goal at the end of their thumping by Villa.

Took a couple of minutes to check and was then disallowed for a marginal offside. Under the new rules, no lines would be needed, as everyone would be clearly visibly onside, so the check time is decreased significantly.

1707220112751.png

Yes, lines would be needed if there was clear daylight between the defender and the attacker, with a toe still onside, but for most normal circumstances, I think it will save a lot of time on the checks.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't think of any positive whatsoever for sin bins. All it would cause it for the affected side to defend for x amount of minutes. Hideous idea.

The only positive I can take from it is if cynically pulling back an opponent to stop a promising attack is an automatic 10 minute sin-bin offence. Might finally stop it happening if teams are forced down to 10 men.

I was over the moon when Philip Billing was sent off at the weekend for a cynical foul that injured Huson-Odoi. Yes, he might not have meant to rake his studs down his achilles, but he did mean to take him out and to 'take a yellow'.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sin bin for the cynical "professional foul" makes sense. The punishment is instant. At the moment such actions are only addressed in retrospect, if at all, when yellow cards are added up. There is every incentive for the "take one for the team" approach. These actions are cheating, which can have game changing consequences. There should be no situation where you can effecivly gamble on the outcome of an illegal challenge in this way. The sin bin evens up the odds on game spoiling tactics.
Disagree, big step on the road to an American football type set up of constant interruptions to a game intrinsically based on flow.

The scope for refereeing bias and gamesmanship by the players would be enormous to boot.

It will fail the trial period I assume given the scope of error/disaster it would produce, but even so, surely even a cursory thought could work this out at the drawing board phase.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feigning head injuries and time wasting yes. But tactical fouls no as that player could join his team mate in the bin
But what if they were the fouls that City and Arsenal commit every single game? The innocuous ones in their opponents half to slow the game down and get back in to shape.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you want to go back to teams defending like Arsenal under George Graham, catching players coming back from an offside position when the balls on the other side of the pitch and not likely to get involved in any moves?

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is so much inconsistency around yellow cards, and we all know some teams get away with things more than others. So, welcome to playing the "top" teams with 10 men for half the game.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Apparently when it comes to vote each of the home nations has one vote, FIFA has four votes.
Yes, I think they need a supermajority to change the rules, but how archaic is that - British Isles 4 votes, Rest of the World 4 votes?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is a simple game which is been made complicated for no logical reason, it became our national sport long before VAR/Sinbins etc.

I agree that it's a simple game. Though it's been made complicated maibnly because players are continually trying to cheat. The blame is on the players and managers who instruct them to do anything possible to gain an advantage. If the players had any sportsmanship, we wouldn't need any of the complications.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMHO, unlike tugby, sin bins will have very little effect.
I think it is fair to say that the temporary absence of one player has far less effect on the competitiveness of a team in football than it does in either code of rugby. It is easier to ride out the storm by changing the shape and tactics for the duration of the penalty.

Ebbo

Reaction score
As a 'legacy fan', I can see the day coming very soon, when I'll be saving myself a lot of money each year by no longer going to the match. I've had a good run though.

The game wasn't broken. Leave it alone!! Cheating and gamesmanship is one thing, the game's 'law makers' seems intent on ruining it as a spectacle.

VAR has almost killed it for me. Sin bins will be horrendous.

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
So you want to go back to teams defending like Arsenal under George Graham, catching players coming back from an offside position when the balls on the other side of the pitch and not likely to get involved in any moves?
As an example, under Bod's suggestion our 3rd goal on Sunday is disallowed because Neto is in an offside position after pulling the ball back to Cunha.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I am against that one, but used to be for it!!!

Disturbs the required but delicate balance between defence and attack, and favours the attacker overly.

I go for level is onside, with any benefit of the doubt going to the attacker.

But it is a very difficult judgement, that Var messed up as it tends to give offside on an ultramarginal basis.

This is not fully supported by the exisiting technology, goes against the spirit of the game and often punishes
brilliant play by the attacking side.

Back
Top Bottom