Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

SIGNED: Craig Dawson (West Ham)

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s the difference between active and passive defending.

Collins actually does win a hell of a lot of duels. Take the West Ham game as an example. He was great all game against Antonio, until he tried to keep the ball in play near our goal and lost it. It could have led to a goal, but fortunately for us, it didn’t.

So from all the interactions and duels he had with Antonio, they had one shot at goal.

Now compare that with Coady’s style of passive defending. Keep backing off and try to block the shot. It’s a style of defending that leads to a lot more shots on our goal and therefore a lot higher chance of conceding. Coady is particularly good at passive defending, but it’s not a style we want to be playing.

Kilman is a mixture of passive and active, but he needs to get better at being active and aggressive.
I would like to see the evidence that it leads to more shots on our goal. Our clean sheet against west ham was our first since the Nottingham forest game. So you can tell what I think already.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good, solid signing. Seems like a good bloke too. Just what we need. Just 6 months late.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to see the evidence that it leads to more shots on our goal. Our clean sheet against west ham was our first since the Nottingham forest game. So you can tell what I think already.
It's not just the centre backs though is it? Yes they both make the odd mistake, but those are amplified by the fact that we're the league's lowest scorers, so they're usually very decisive in the result of the games. Add to that, Sa hasn't been near the level of last season, and how poor our full backs were in those first 15 games, which is going to directly impact your centre backs who are having to do twice the work.

We've conceded 4 goals in 4 games since the return, and our goals conceded factoring in the circumstances above, isn't actually bad at all, in fact only 7 sides have conceded less. It could be better, but I think it will the more time that Lopetegui spends working with them. He did an incredible job with Jules Kounde and Diego Carlos at Sevilla.

Semedo finally pulling his head out of his ****, Bueno improving with each game, and Dawson mentoring them both on a daily basis will only benefit them more as well.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just check the shots for/against for the last few seasons.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not just the centre backs though is it? Yes they both make the odd mistake, but those are amplified by the fact that we're the league's lowest scorers, so they're usually very decisive in the result of the games. Add to that, Sa hasn't been near the level of last season, and how poor our full backs were in those first 15 games, which is going to directly impact your centre backs who are having to do twice the work.

We've conceded 4 goals in 4 games since the return, and our goals conceded factoring in the circumstances above, isn't actually bad at all, in fact only 7 sides have conceded less. It could be better, but I think it will the more time that Lopetegui spends working with them. He did an incredible job with Jules Kounde and Diego Carlos at Sevilla.

Semedo finally pulling his head out of his ****, Bueno improving with each game, and Dawson mentoring them both on a daily basis will only benefit them more as well.
No it isn't just the centre backs but I feel like people are more happy to run down Jonny or Semedo or Ait-Nouri than the flavour of the month.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
A replacement for Conor Coady, a solid professional and steady centre half who will be a good influence around the club

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Read the West Ham comments. I knew that they weren't keen on him leaving but flippin heck didn't realise a player could be that loved and adored.

We may have just have done a great bit of business.

Welcome Craig...

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it isn't just the centre backs but I feel like people are more happy to run down Jonny or Semedo or Ait-Nouri than the flavour of the month.
I think all of them have been bad at certain points. RAN was terrible at left back to start the season, Semedo had an awful run of games before the World Cup. Jonny at right back in a four I don't think has ever worked. Collins seems to have a mistake in him most games, but his general defending I feel is actually better than Kilman. Kilman's level is below what it was last year as well.

A side like Newcastle haven't conceded 11 goals solely because of their back four and keeper, although it's a big reason for it, but under Howe they press relentlessly from the front. They have a very physical midfield (Guimaraes/Joelinton), and their front three press all game.

I think we've only just started to improve in that regard, with Julen recognising in the WC break that their fitness levels are far below where they should have been. The additions of Sarabia, Cunha and Lemina should also help this a great deal. Lemina brings a bit more dynamism to that midfield three (as would Gomes if we can get that over the line), while Sarabia is known to be an aggressive presser off the ball and knows what Julen expects from his players. Cunha for me just seems very grounded and willing to work his socks off as well.

I'm optimistic we'll continue to improve defensively in all aspects as the season goes on, regardless of if we get thumped today as anyone can get it at Man City away. The major concern for me is where the goals are going to come from as I still have serious doubts about Raul and Costa putting chances away when they get them.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re your last para you do, l trust, realise that Dawson is all of there years older than Semedo....

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
And maybe we can get some goals on corners now…Collins and Kilman don’t seem to win many headers in the box for some reason.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF we played a back 3 where would Dawson most naturally fit in?
Has he played that system before??

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And maybe we can get some goals on corners now…Collins and Kilman don’t seem to win many headers in the box for some reason.

And when they do, more often than not, they sky them or head them tamely to the keeper.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF we played a back 3 where would Dawson most naturally fit in?
Has he played that system before??
Pretty sure he's played in a back 3 for West Ham. Not sure where in the 3 though.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boy am I looking forward to all the clean sheets we’ll be keeping with this guy in the XI

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And when they do, more often than not, they sky them or head them tamely to the keeper.
Exactly! What’s the point of our corners anyway? Very, very little reward over the years. I have .0005% hope of a goal from our corners.
I’d rather they just lump the ball back to Collins or Max……at least we’d still have possession.

T

TheConcourse

Interested to see what JL does with Dawson. He’s got to come straight into the side, but I wonder whether it’s going to be a back 3?

Back
Top Bottom