Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Should we sack O Neil?

Should we sack him

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't ever remember so many fans and such a high proportion of our fan base firstly not wanting him in the first place but most importantly wanting a manager out so quickly. There's the instant gratification argument no doubt the odd lunatic will trot out, but I think it's painfully clear the club got this completely wrong and appointed a bloke completely out of his depth. Everything he's said and done since his appointment has simply made the situation we are in even worse, from his backroom appointments to his evident inability to read or influence a game, to his pathetic interviews blaming everyone but himself, to his refusal to acknowledge the away support last night.

To the apologists - this isn't the next Arrigo Sacchi or Julien Nagelsmann FFS, he's a journeyman midfielder who worked under coaches like Pulis and Southgate who had 6 months as Liverpool u23 assistant coach and stumbled over the line in his first managerial role because three other teams refused to spend in January and decided to capitulate.

The gap between him and what is required for the job is chasmic. Wolves, if you genuinely read this form please just put the bloke out of his misery and let him rebuild his career in the championship/league one, because that's his level, and if you don't act quickly it's very soon going to be our level too
He’s a total amateur and we are a basket case club right now.. I think everyone knew we needed a strong pair of hands.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would make the argument that we should start drawing up a shortlist now and try and get a couple of real targets for succession.. keep Gary until we’re confident we have someone to replace him. Rather than sack him and then start the process.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can it get any worse than this imposter?
because it will end up being derry or davis and we will coast to relegation we saw what happened after lage

we need everything lined up so start it now to sack him in the next 2 to 3 weeks

We need points from bournemouth so who knows

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
we will be in an even worse situation if we sack him right now, we run it to christmas
im not sure how that is the case, he's lost most of the fan base, he seemingly seems to be losing some players, all he can do is blame everyone else. the longer it gets left the more rot sets in, we lose any sort of morale and belief from the squad and have less and less games to rectify it, plus the ability to attract players from such a weak position also affects us in the january transfer window for whoever comes in plus they have less time to assses what they need.

the sooner the better or we will be relegated.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
im not sure how that is the case, he's lost most of the fan base, he seemingly seems to be losing some players, all he can do is blame everyone else. the longer it gets left the more rot sets in, we lose any sort of morale and belief from the squad and have less and less games to rectify it, plus the ability to attract players from such a weak position also affects us in the january transfer window for whoever comes in plus they have less time to assses what they need.

Its fair but we need to go through a process and not have a caretaker

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't think I have mate. I love our club, I'll be there on Saturday hoping and praying by some miracle we don't get hammered. I can see how I come over somewhat on the harsh side currently (probably an understatement), having backed previous managers (even Lage for a long time) to the hilt, but this guy is taking us back to the oblivion of the Championship. I'm not even very knowledgeable at all about football (probably obviously), I am entirely a fan, but it's so obvious he's out of his depth I can't bear to see the mess he is making of our team.

As I have said previously, I never get on the back of a sitting manager, or a player who wears the Old Gold.
I can see the same problems as everyone else and agree with most of the complaints and understand fans frustration.
It looks to me as the club have now set up as a championship team. We nearly always employ people with little experience in the actual job do. That goes from top to bottom. So many people have had jobs at Wolves, that they have never done before and there can only be 2 reasons for that. 1, they are the cheapest option, 2, they will do what they are told. It probably is a mixture of the 2.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
because it will end up being derry or davis and we will coast to relegation we saw what happened after lage

we need everything lined up so start it now to sack him in the next 2 to 3 weeks

We need points from bournemouth so who knows

I really dont think we can be much worse off. Derry will go with him when they sack him. As bad as Fosun have been, i think they wont make the mistake they did last season waiting for Lopetegui so long. If they sack him they will have somebody lined up. Now whether they are any good or not is a different story.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really dont think we can be much worse off. Derry will go with him when they sack him. As bad as Fosun have been, i think they wont make the mistake they did last season waiting for Lopetegui so long. If they sack him they will have somebody lined up. Now whether they are any good or not is a different story.
id only imagine thoughts of potential other managers were mused or discussed last night with hobbs and shi at the game, before then i cant imagine they were lining anything, they may now.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
As I have said previously, I never get on the back of a sitting manager, or a player who wears the Old Gold.
I can see the same problems as everyone else and agree with most of the complaints and understan fans frustration.
It looks to me as the club have now set up as a championship team. We nearly always employ people with little experience in the actual job do. That goes from top to bottom. So many people have had jobs at Wolves, that they have never done before and there can only be 2 reasons for that. 1, they are the cheapest option, 2, they will do what they are told. It probably is a mixture of the 2.
Yes, I mean Hobbs, what were you thinking? Unless Shi said, cheap, won't moan about transfer budget, out of work, English, available - then the list was very short. If only they'd thought to add 'has a clue about tactics'.

At least we can agree what a disaster not doing what was needed to keep Lopetegui was now! ;)

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s still 96% in favour of dismissing him. Wow, that is conclusive.

Even if you factor in a skew for online hysteria etc, it’s looking pretty ominous for O’Neil.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I mean Hobbs, what were you thinking? Unless Shi said, cheap, won't moan about transfer budget, out of work, English, available - then the list was very short. If only they'd thought to add 'has a clue about tactics'.

At least we can agree what a disaster not doing what was needed to keep Lopetegui was now! ;)
Lol. I always said I wanted Lopetegui to stay, until he forced his own departure. Once he did that, it would have been better to get rid of him, after his first interview and have more time to employ a decent manager and have time for the manager to get to know his squad.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we should start looking for a replacement so when he is binned someone can come in pretty sharpish, I still can't believe we appointed him it's never going to work out he just isn't ready for such a big role under these circumstances, he came cheap though

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Lol. I always said I wanted Lopetegui to stay, until he forced his own departure. Once he did that, it would have been better to get rid of him, after his first interview and have more time to employ a decent manager and have time for the manager to get to know his squad.
Just pulling your leg obviously. I mean, just to correct for the hundredth time, he didn't force his departure, he resigned because he was lied to. Still, we made an £80m transfer profit, and apparently we're doomed unless he can sort out the mess we saw at Old Trafford when he arrived - says the guy who took over.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s still 96% in favour of dismissing him. Wow, that is conclusive.

Even if you factor in a skew for online hysteria etc, it’s looking pretty ominous for O’Neil.
It is very damning. I don’t think I’ve seen such string polls against a manager both on joining and 6 weeks in. The man might be a relatively number 2 but as a head coach he is clueless. Even E&S are running out of excuses.

If Saturday isn’t toxic, the Sunday after will. Jeff et all better hope that they can mute the crowd noise when it’s broadcast back to China.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not a fan but it's easy to lose your heads over something you love. Rightly or wrongly he was appointed manager with no pre-season. He's managing a team that lost a hell of a lot of talent. We all admit that he's had a tough run of games in the Prem and some awful decisions have gone against us namely at United and Luton. When I look at it in the cold light of day, in the Prem, the Luton game is the only one I expected us to win. But with 10 men a draw isn't a nightmare. So, on to last night. Well we've had plenty of disappointments in the cup matches over the years haven't we? To lose from that position is disappointing for sure but, as of last night, there are six places between us and Ipswich so it's hardly the biggest shock really. So, with all of that in mind I think we have to give him to Xmas. Then appoint BFS to save us. The end.

Last edited:

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not a fan but it's easy to lose your heads over something you love. Rightly or wrongly he was appointed manager with no pre-season. He's managing a team that lost a hell of a lot of talent. We all admit that he's had a tough run of games in the Prem and some awful decisions have gone against us namely at United and Luton. When I look at it in the cold light of day, in the Prem, the Luton game is the only one I expected us to win. But with 10 men a draw isn't a nightmare. So, on to last night. Well we've had plenty of disappointments in the cup matches over the years haven't we? To lose from that position is disappointing though for sure. So, with all of that in mind I think we have to give him to Xmas. Then appoint BFS to save us. The end
Give him until Christmas and Big Fat Santa's not saving us, let alone Big Fat Sam!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even Wolves twitter is united. I guess fostering this kind of unity is an achievement in of itself. The fosun and GON dream team have achieved it in just a few weeks
GO brought our divided back back together!!

A feat only prevailed managed by Nuno!!

Granted he has done it by being ****…. But he has achieved one positive lol

Yorkshire Wolf

Reaction score
It’s madness, isn’t it? I keep thinking there must be some kind of clause in there, for when the inevitable happens, but knowing Hobbs and Shi there probably isn’t. Clowns.
Yeah can’t wrap my head around it, must be something in it for this kind of scenario

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs should have been lining up an experienced, respected coach since Brighton (and not be worrying about his nationality or whether he'll want a decent salary to save us losing £100m at the end of the season).
This is the essence of it. How much money have Fosun wasted paying off Jackett, Zenga, Lambert, (I'l excuse Nuno), Lage and Lopetegui, not to mention their teams of backroom staff ? When will they realise that its worth paying somebody competent (plus his support staff) in order not to be battling relegation on a regular basis (with all the transfer costs that that entails) and to be able to do what they apparently want to do - develop players for onward sale ?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We over paid for cunha because they knew we were desperate and he was our number one target.

So we got shafted financially then and it will
Happen again this jan if we are in the stink again.

SOS signings always come with an added tax from the seller…..

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just pulling your leg obviously. I mean, just to correct for the hundredth time, he didn't force his departure, he resigned because he was lied to. Still, we made an £80m transfer profit, and apparently we're doomed unless he can sort out the mess we saw at Old Trafford when he arrived - says the guy who took over.

You can't correct something, that you, I , or anybody doesn't know.
What we do know, is that Guillermo Balague and Lopetegui worked together, to force his own departure by saying he should be at a better club, like Spurs. We know this, because now that he has left and a no disclosure agreement has probably been signed, Balague says nothing why Lopetegui
wanted to leave. Balague helped Lopetegui get what he wanted and then is quiet when Lopetegui wants.
Lopetegui has gone and would have probably done better than GON. He did well keeping us up, but has also been sacked at 2 of his 4 clubs managed, within 14 matches. That is 50% of his management posts at club level, sacked within in 3 months. True, on a different level to GON, but Mendes played a huge part in placing him in jobs, that he wasn't qualified for, or was out of his depth. Also,, his only success in club management took 17 years, GON's only job was keeping Bournemouth up and he has managed less than a year.
Lopetegui, is nowhere as good as he thinks he is, but still would have preferred to be quiet, do what he was payed for and been our manager. He ended up by doing what he usually does, causing controversy, getting a big pay off and blaming everyone but himself, similar to GON in that way.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2- It's highly unlikely the table will ever look 'that bad' in terms of being cut adrift, purely because that relies on Luton, SU, Burnley etc all winning a handful of games, which almost certainly won't happen.
Don't count Burnley out. They've got a squad of relative unknowns, but a Head Coach who knows the game inside out.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
What we do know, is that Guillermo Balague and Lopetegui worked together, to force his own departure by saying he should be at a better club, like Spurs. We know this, because now that he has left and a no disclosure agreement has probably been signed, Balague says nothing why Lopetegui
wanted to leave. Balague helped Lopetegui get what he wanted and then is quiet when Lopetegui wants.
Lopetegui has gone and would have probably done better than GON. He did well keeping us up, but has also been sacked at 2 of his 4 clubs managed, within 14 matches. That is 50% of his management posts at club level, sacked within in 3 months. True, on a different level to GON, but Mendes played a huge part in placing him in jobs, that he wasn't qualified for, or was out of his depth. Also,, his only success in club management took 17 years, GON's only job was keeping Bournemouth up and he has managed less than a year.
Lopetegui, is nowhere as good as he thinks he is, but still would have preferred to be quiet, do what he was payed for and been our manager. He ended up by doing what he usually does, causing controversy, getting a big pay off and blaming everyone but himself, similar to GON in that way.
I'm sure nobody wants to read us arguing about this again, Hobbs said Lopetegui told him after the Celtic game that he wanted to go. So it's simple enough unless you don't believe that. He didn't 'engineer his departure' he just resigned. Maybe Shi told him that we had to make an £80m profit this summer when he agreed to sign, and he wasn't lied to, that seems a tad unlikely to me though. Anyway, just to say again I only banged on about this because I knew that a month or two into the season some people (not you, but O'Neil it seems) would be trying to tell us that the mess is down to Lopetegui, nobody is really buying that, so my work is done!

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What we do know, is that Guillermo Balague and Lopetegui worked together, to force his own departure by saying he should be at a better club, like Spurs. We know this, because now that he has left and a no disclosure agreement has probably been signed, Balague says nothing why Lopetegui wanted to leave.
We don't know that at all, nor can it be claimed as fact. Balague made the Spurs suggestion on Twitter - you make it sound like Lopetegui has his hand up his **** and he has no agency to opine or speculate anything for himself. If he was Lop's unofficial mouthpiece, don't you think he would exploit that to be able work around any NDA?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON is Hobbs choice. Unless we are in the bottom three and/or there is clear evidence he has lost the dressing room he's not getting sacked.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure nobody wants to read us arguing about this again, Hobbs said Lopetegui told him after the Celtic game that he wanted to go. So it's simple enough unless you don't believe that. He didn't 'engineer his departure' he just resigned. Maybe Shi told him that we had to make an £80m profit this summer when he agreed to sign, and he wasn't lied to, that seems a tad unlikely to me though. Anyway, just to say again I only banged on about this because I knew that a month or two into the season some people (not you, but O'Neil it seems) would be trying to tell us that the mess is down to Lopetegui, nobody is really buying that, so my work is done!
A clown blaming the circus owner for the situation as the audience watch on knowingly.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been firmly in the “give him a chance” group over a reasonable period of time even though I didn’t and want him but clearly things are going wrong.

However and it’s a BIG however, regardless of his ability (or lack of) he has seriously been chucked under the bus by the players who collectively are showing little to suggest they have the mentality to be top players. His tactics might be wrong, his formations might be wrong but they should have enough in themselves to at least give the opposition a bloody nose. Too many are hiding and not putting in the required amount at all. They should have some professional pride at the very least

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He wanted to go since the first interview and he didn't resign, because he recieved quite a big pay off. If he had resigned, he wouldn't have recieved money. He cornered Wolves and dragged us through the World media and forced his departure. In my opinion, neither Lopetegui or Wolves came out of the situation well.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL has signed a non disclosure agreement that's why he cannot comment and GB seems to adhering to that as well.
If JL went for a dump and forgot to pull the chain you'd let the world know.
I look forward to seeing you on Mastermind. Your favourite subject bring the management, and associated, career of Julen Lopetegui.
You'd do well but **** knows how you'd cope with General Knowledge.

Last edited:

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Having your sixth manager in a little over two years is Everton level of incompetents.
The owners had their 'dream' manager and effed it.
We've cleared out a shed load of players and now are left with a threadbare team, that is not going to change until May.
There's are big differences between available managers, a manager willing to take the job and a manager capable of making a difference with players currently available.
And it's time to be honest, there is zero chance of some of the managers being mentioned on here taking over under the current situation.
Imo, if fosun sack GON, we'll end up with one of the under 21 coaches, or Steve Davies as manager for the rest of the season... Which in my view would be worse.
There is zero chance Fosun is paying off Lop, paying off GON AND committing to another 'top' manager all in the space of three months!!

Last edited:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we really want him out then we are going to make ourselves heard from the terraces.

The guy blames lopetegui for all of his own failings. He doesn't take any accountability.

We can't afford to wait until game week 15. Gon has already lost the dressing room we need him out now!

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
He wanted to go since the first interview and he didn't resign, because he recieved quite a big pay off. If he had resigned, he wouldn't have recieved money. He cornered Wolves and dragged us through the World media and forced his departure. In my opinion, neither Lopetegui or Wolves came out of the situation well.
OK, that is your interpretation of events and you're entitled to it, even if I completely differ. However you do keep also telling us about his managerial struggles and failures, when the only relevant factor here is that he is levels above Gary O'Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom