Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Should we be looking at the MLS for young talent?

PulverWolf

Reaction score
With Chelsea signing the very capable Pulisic from the MLS and there being a lot of good Mexican players in that league should we have a look over there ?

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me the key stage if development is well before 16 and certain countries are set up to maximise young pnayers’ potential. France excels at it, Holland is good, as is Portugal. Sadly in England we haven’t got it right despite some academies that seem very impressive. Obviously good players can come from anywhere and you need a network of scouts but I’d concentrate our efforts where the likelihood of finding a jewel is greatest.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
They will be. The club are looking Worldwide for future talent. An oddly specific post. Why aren’t Wolves looking at players in the North Lincolnshire area?

NorthWolf

Reaction score
I'm sure in the next 5-10 years, there has to be some capable top level players come from the MLS.

Alas I fear people have been saying this since '94. For whatever reason they just don't seem to tap into the massive potential (numbers and averages wise) that they could have, particularly with the large Hispanic and Italian population.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like the look of Almiron at Newcastle. Still very raw, but I think he will be a very good player in the next few years.

Joelinton up top with Almiron in behind might just be enough to keep them up.

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
There's a few exceptions, but the standard is League One to mid-level Championship at best, so a huge gulf in class.

There's still work permit issues to contend with also - like what West Ham are up against I think. And this is exacerbated further if it's a MLS player representing a country further down the international standings.

And even Almiron cost a pretty penny, so you could definitely say there's better value from the leagues we're primarily focusing on.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Swansea brought that American manager in and that did not go too well???!!!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bayern bought Alphonso Davies for $20m from Vancouver Whitecaps 2 years ago..

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
No. We don’t even know what “first touch” means.

Last edited:

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch a bit of MLS, seen a forward called Martinez looks quite good

D

Deleted member 5276

I watch MLS week in, week out and have to say the quality of player that Wolves would want really isn't here. Occasionally a player turns up who could do well in England but I really don't see any who would make the top 10 teams in the Prem.

Martinez is a decent enough player but he's suffered since Almiron moved on and Newcastle paid far too much for him. It is MLS All-Star week in Orlando this week and on Tuesday the "Home-Grown" game takes place at ESPN Wide World of Sports. There really won't be that much talent on show who would make it in England's top two divisions.

The best of the talent is Pulisic and I doubt he'll be pulling up any trees at Chelsea. He'll have the odd game where he makes an impact but he won't do it week in, week out. Sad to say that America has gone backwards over the last four years and there is a huge problem with how young players are being coached and brought through. So much of the modern game takes out the individual skills and qualities of these players as coaches look to keep games tight.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't mind doing a bit in the Potteries and District Sunday League if Fosun don't mind slipping me some Peoples Currency. ;)

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
With Chelsea signing the very capable Pulisic from the MLS and there being a lot of good Mexican players in that league should we have a look over there ?
He’s American, but has never played in the MLS. I’ve watched and followed the Union for sometime. The state of play is getting better each year. It’s a fitness/physical league, however is slowly getting better technique wise also. I’d say there are players being unearthed and we should tap into it, in the years to come.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched MLS on and off since its inception and while there has been improvement in terms of stadia, atmosphere and attendance, the quality of play is crap. Basically lower-end Championship calibre at best with one or two exceptions.

Teams like LAFC and Galaxy might look decent in a one-off game against European competition, but would struggle massively over a longer, winter season. Watched a game between Minnesota and Vancouver last night and I think Walsall reserves could give them a game. It was awful. The only caveat I would add is that the travel is horrendous and the humidity (e.g. Houston, Atlanta, etc,), elevation (Colorado), and plastic pitches (e.g. Seattle, Portland) make the league a difficult one.

As Vancouver Wolf mentioned, once in a while a player like Alphonso Davies comes along, but in general the quality of players is simply not good enough. Anyone good enough for Europe will likely already be there. No player of any real quality goes to college.

Maybe check back in another decade. In the meantime if there is any real talent explosion I am sure one of us over here will offer an opinion.

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
We have a North American academy don’t we?

There's a club in San Antonio that have promoted the Wolves in the past. I'm not sure how formal the arrangement it is, either in terms of being an actual offshoot of an official academy, or whether it's the first of localized franchises which can be quite common here. I'd guess the latter would be a big step though, given the relative lack of brand awareness the club has here at present.

D

Deleted member 3751

Alas I fear people have been saying this since '94. For whatever reason they just don't seem to tap into the massive potential (numbers and averages wise) that they could have, particularly with the large Hispanic and Italian population.
Probably a lot to do with the fact that any kids with talent who want to play for clubs have to pay big fees, meaning it's effectively a middle class sport if you want to get on the ladder and your talent alone isn't enough

Paying to Play: How much do club sports cost?

Back
Top Bottom