Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Should the iPad stay or go?

Should the iPad stay or go?

• 1. Stay, its the future and we need all the help we can get.

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • 2. Go, its embarrassing watching grown men squint at a screen rather than watch the game.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • 3. Stay, Gary can watch his favourite series if the game gets boring.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • 4. Go, makes the coach look incompetent.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • 5. Stay, the coaching staff can check on their first goal conceded bet.

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • 6. Go, lost his kids' homework last time he borrowed their iPad.

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a sucker born everyday.

Its just a fad, oversold by the software companies, which allows an insecure coach to hide behind. Elite footballers, not being robots, most of all
need that degree of autonomy, which allows for improvisation and enjoyment, to escape the contemporary disease of over-coaching. This is what is being endangered.
T-rex (or WUM) lives..... Funny old thing but Pep, Klippetty and all other top coaches absolutely buy into that "fad"....

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its just a fad, oversold by the software companies, which allows an insecure coach to hide behind. Elite footballers, not being robots, most of all
need that degree of autonomy, which allows for improvisation and enjoyment, to escape the contemporary disease of over-coaching. This is what is being endangered.
Yeah ok Pep.

Give them their oranges and slap ‘em round the face a few times at half time eh? ****ing gerrintoem.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Latest scapegoat.

When things are going well, the iPad is fine. When things go slightly wrong, it's a problem.

Welcome to the club iPad. Founding member Nelson Semedo warmly welcomes you.
Can someone use Generative AI to create a photo of Semedo shaking hands with a life sized iPad please?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Most teams have an iPad in the dugout. They can watch replays of incidents, get medical and tactical data, and they can show subs coming on set piece tactics. I’d be more worried if our coaches weren’t using one!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What really ****ed me off at games (apart from people leaving their seats 10 minutes before the HT whistle ) was 'fans' permanently on their phone, either texting or taking videos rather than actually watching the match. GON's fixation with his laptop at all times it seems, ****es me off equally. Study the stuff after the game say or perhaps have a quick look at HT but for FS not during the match when the real thing is taking place right in front of where you are standing. Bin the ****ing things.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1702405857331.jpeg

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most teams have an iPad in the dugout. They can watch replays of incidents, get medical and tactical data, and they can show subs coming on set piece tactics. I’d be more worried if our coaches weren’t using one!
I bet you're under 30 Jade?!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What really ****ed me off at games (apart from people leaving their seats 10 minutes before the HT whistle ) was 'fans' permanently on their phone, either texting or taking videos rather than actually watching the match. GON's fixation with his laptop at all times it seems, ****es me off equally. Study the stuff after the game say or perhaps have a quick look at HT but for FS not during the match when the real thing is taking place right in front of where you are standing. Bin the ****ing things.

But... why does it annoy you? Simply because it's modern and different from the good old days?

I'd rather a manager look at it during a game when he can make changes as a result. There's plenty of moments during the game when there's enough time to take a look at the screen without missing anything, and plenty of times a manager would like to see a replay from a better angle of something that's happened, or a tactical clip sent by an analyst.

I genuinely can't see how or why this can annoy someone.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But... why does it annoy you? Simply because it's modern and different from the good old days?

I'd rather a manager look at it during a game when he can make changes as a result. There's plenty of moments during the game when there's enough time to take a look at the screen without missing anything, and plenty of times a manager would like to see a replay from a better angle of something that's happened, or a tactical clip sent by an analyst.

I genuinely can't see how or why this can annoy someone.
Taking your eye off the game is a surefire way of missing something important, in real time. I genuinely can't see how or why this isnt of concern.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get a much bigger screen and put it lower so you don’t look like you’re showing your friend a tik tok.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Taking your eye off the game is a surefire way of missing something important, in real time. I genuinely can't see how or why this isnt of concern.

There's plenty of breaks in play and stoppages, as you well know.

Also, if he misses anything that turns out to be important, he can see a replay on the iPad, so well done for pointing out another benefit!

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The good old days when everyone had polio and you could leave your door unlocked and football managers didn't use ipads. We could fight them on the beaches in the good old days, not like now when we've got people monitoring heart rates, the magic sponge is all anyone needed in the good old days. When young'uns weren't on their phones in the good old days but they were drunk at the age of ten and we could all drink on the terraces in the good old days.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The good old days when everyone had polio and you could leave your door unlocked and football managers didn't use ipads. We could fight them on the beaches in the good old days, not like now when we've got people monitoring heart rates, the magic sponge is all anyone needed in the good old days. When young'uns weren't on their phones in the good old days but they were drunk at the age of ten and we could all drink on the terraces in the good old days.
You missed the 60 a day coffin nail habit.....

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really? I think you may be underestimating the messaging of staring at a little screen while the game goes on.
It shouts lack of authority and presence. I doubt very much that you will see successful managers doing this
pitchside. (Obviously there is a role for postmatch analysis and collating of relevant stats).
Mate, you’re completely out of date.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What does that matter? I’m in my mid 40s and can understand the use of technology in the modern game.

Suppose we should still play with a pigs bladder, in steel toe cap boots with newspapers for shin pads. Aah the good old days when men were men ay!
Aye, them were the days lad. Bus to ground, 2 and 6 to get in, baggy shorts and hooped socks, 235 formation, lump it up to the big lad up top, goals galore, back home in time for fish supper and thrashing from your dad! Try telling that to the young people of today and they won't believe you (oh heck, I've heard that somewhere before?!)

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he misses anything, literally ANYTHING, it can be replayed on... wait for it... his ipad.

He's able to keep a very close eye on the whole match, even off the ball incidents he otherwise wouldn't see.

Your thread and poll is pointless.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, the answer/lead theory is that it's a camera that gives a unique angle to view key events and the game overall. Which will allow a better understanding of the game and tactics.
My only question is, if GON has this fangled tool at his disposal.....

Why is he rubbish at making in game tactical changes and substitutions?

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm sorry to hear that, although it does perhaps explain a lot. It might help you to have a less black and white view, as clearly, one should not hate things simply because they are new - new often actually is improved.

If we stick with iPads, yes of course you can just lazily hate them because they didn't have them in your day and it didn't do you any harm.

Or we can think about what can be done with them, the possibilities they open up:
  • keeping in touch with friends and family even if they're on the other side of the world
  • having access to every book ever written (often for free), every film ever made etc
  • being able to watch Wolves live, no matter what country you're in
  • read informative articles for free, such as how optimists live longer
  • if you manage a football team, you could have a camera feed from a high angle running on a 30 second delay, so for example if you concede a goal, you can then glance down at it and get a clear view of what happened, in time to make any changes needed to try to stop it happening again. Or you could have real time running stats to see if a player is starting to tire and should be subbed, or if a specific opposing defender should be targeted.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, the answer/lead theory is that it's a camera that gives a unique angle to view key events and the game overall. Which will allow a better understanding of the game and tactics.
My only question is, if GON has this fangled tool at his disposal.....

Why is he rubbish at making in game tactical changes and substitutions?
The tech doesn’t do all the work.

As the saying goes “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink”

So if you don’t have a mindset that allows for more attack minded vision or ability to chance to be more so, sadly the tech won’t give that to you.

Unless AI does it, but then why have a manager at that point hahaha

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he misses anything, literally ANYTHING, it can be replayed on... wait for it... his ipad.

He's able to keep a very close eye on the whole match, even off the ball incidents he otherwise wouldn't see.

Your thread and poll is pointless.
We'll see.

For me, it's desperate and disruptive. And will undermine coaches' authority as is already apparent, in my view. These outcomes are visible across many fields of life and certainly not just football. The challenge is to manage the impact of new technology and utilise positive contributions while eliminating the destructive aspects.

Over-coaching is the underlying issue, and this seems significantly intensified by this recent fad of spending vital game time staring at a screen on a tripod.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, although it does perhaps explain a lot. It might help you to have a less black and white view, as clearly, one should not hate things simply because they are new - new often actually is improved.

If we stick with iPads, yes of course you can just lazily hate them because they didn't have them in your day and it didn't do you any harm.

Or we can think about what can be done with them, the possibilities they open up:
  • keeping in touch with friends and family even if they're on the other side of the world
  • having access to every book ever written (often for free), every film ever made etc
  • being able to watch Wolves live, no matter what country you're in
  • read informative articles for free, such as how optimists live longer
  • if you manage a football team, you could have a camera feed from a high angle running on a 30 second delay, so for example if you concede a goal, you can then glance down at it and get a clear view of what happened, in time to make any changes needed to try to stop it happening again. Or you could have real time running stats to see if a player is starting to tire and should be subbed, or if a specific opposing defender should be targeted.
Thank you for helpfully setting out all the positive sides of the ipad. Never realised any of that.

Your banal examples you give of the use of ipads pitchside underlines the problem. I particularly the idea that you might need an ipad to stop a mistake happening again, that has already happened!!

These are elementary matters that coaches and players should already be aware of. Over-relying on an intrusive technology simply blunts the human skills involved. Remember every digital skill gained is a life skill lost as a general maxim.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll see.

For me, it's desperate and disruptive. And will undermine coaches' authority as is already apparent, in my view. These outcomes are visible across many fields of life and certainly not just football. The challenge is to manage the impact of new technology and utilise positive contributions while eliminating the destructive aspects.

Over-coaching is the underlying issue, and this seems significantly intensified by this recent fad of spending vital game time staring at a screen on a tripod.
“Over coaching of players” is the new meaningless buzz phrase in football that is far more disruptive and desperate than an iPad. Explain how players are over coached? Does Pep, arteta, Klopp, Tuchel over coach players? All of which are renowned for their attention to detail.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Over coaching of players” is the new meaningless buzz phrase in football that is far more disruptive and desperate than an iPad. Explain how players are over coached? Does Pep, arteta, Klopp, Tuchel over coach players? All of which are renowned fohttps://www.google.com/search?q=over+coaching+and+football&rlz=1C1GCEU_en&oq=over+coaching+and+football&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDQ4MTdqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8r their attention to detail.
Its a very well observed phenomenon in reality:

Oneil has spoken about it on several occasions as well. He knows that space for improvisation, a little chaos to use the current jargon, is essential to create goal situations, and, indeed to prevent goal situations when necessary. Over-coaching strips the players of the autonomy necessary to be effective.

Its not difficult to work out.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a very well observed phenomenon in reality:

Oneil has spoken about it on several occasions as well. He knows that space for improvisation, a little chaos to use the current jargon, is essential to create goal situations, and, indeed to prevent goal situations when necessary. Over-coaching strips the players of the autonomy necessary to be effective.

It’s not difficult to work out.
It is difficult to work out as it’s psychobabble nonsense.

And yet world football is full of players that still do that. Who at Wolves has this over coaching phenomenon affected?

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your banal examples you give of the use of ipads pitchside underlines the problem. I particularly the idea that you might need an ipad to stop a mistake happening again, that has already happened!!

These are elementary matters that coaches and players should already be aware of. Over-relying on an intrusive technology simply blunts the human skills involved. Remember every digital skill gained is a life skill lost as a general maxim.

You don't think managers would ever want to see replays? Given our recent games, he might just want to see replays of VAR incidents so he knows how nuts to go at the ref in the post-match interviews!

I know you've set out your stall that it's all a load of guff, but come on, obviously there are situations when it is useful. Like most things, it can be used badly, as you correctly state - but saying it isn't useful at all just makes you look a bit silly. Did an iPad run over your dog or something?

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really, the iPad is part of a package of over--coaching and insecure management.
I'm guessing you don't work in technology!!

It almost sounds as though you have this problem personally and are projecting it on to GON without the slightest understanding of what information he is gleening from the screen.

Back
Top Bottom