Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Should the iPad stay or go?

Should the iPad stay or go?

• 1. Stay, its the future and we need all the help we can get.

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • 2. Go, its embarrassing watching grown men squint at a screen rather than watch the game.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • 3. Stay, Gary can watch his favourite series if the game gets boring.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • 4. Go, makes the coach look incompetent.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • 5. Stay, the coaching staff can check on their first goal conceded bet.

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • 6. Go, lost his kids' homework last time he borrowed their iPad.

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The iPad and tripod have become a constant feature in the dugout this season. But is it a help or a hindrance?

You decide:

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The iPad shows a direct feed from an analyst's camera, usually positioned in the middle high up in the stand (half-way line position) and therefore gives a perfect angle of every scenario on the pitch, making it easier to see what's gone wrong/going well and where spaces are in the opposition/in your own team. The lead analyst on the bench can pause and rewind that as the coaches wish.

It is hugely beneficial. He's not just seeing what we see on the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The dugout is probably the worst seat in the house when it comes to seeing what's actually happening on the pitch unless the play is right in front of you.
Perhaps the next step if for Gary to use his own personal drone.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are scraping the barrel if their major concern is the coaching staff using modern technology for analytics.
Really? I think you may be underestimating the messaging of staring at a little screen while the game goes on.
It shouts lack of authority and presence. I doubt very much that you will see successful managers doing this
pitchside. (Obviously there is a role for postmatch analysis and collating of relevant stats).

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Really? I think you may be underestimating the messaging of staring at a little screen while the game goes on.
It shouts lack of authority and presence. I doubt very much that you will see successful managers doing this
pitchside. (Obviously there is a role for postmatch analysis and collating of relevant stats).
Its more likely that another member of staff is focused on this task, drawing GON's attention where necessary, or for GON to check specific events if he needs to.
I don't think our manager is looking at an ipad instead of concentrating on the pitch.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am told Jeff gave Gary the Ipad and instucted him to use it during games, in order to undermine his authority and, consequently, FOSUN's investment.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He doesn't spend the game looking at a little screen. You're right though; there is famously only one way to lead and it's is much better to perform retrospective analysis of a problem than proactively identify and solve it within a game.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't spend the game looking at a little screen. You're right though; there is famously only one way to lead and it's is much better to perform retrospective analysis of a problem than proactively identify and solve it within a game.
I predict that the iPad will disappear from the dugout in the near future.

Its classic tick box behaviour, without any genuine utility and lots of downsides.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Personally, I like that he's doing this to get the best information available, rather than worrying about projecting the right image. It'd be pretty pathetic to let worries about your personal image get in the way of making the right decisions.

If you agree there is a role for post match analysis, why wouldn't you want the info available during a match, when it can actually have some influence on the result?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don’t really believe this, surely?

Did Sam Allardyce being the first coach to use an ear piece to listen to his staff sat higher up in the stand affect his authority and presence?

If GON thinks it’s beneficial to him as a manager then why should he stop it? Or should he just wave his arms about and shout “Gerrit forward” to show his authority and presence?

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If technology and so on helps and can assist (as some of the posts above say) then why not use it?

But if you're sitting there analysing, having all this added information us mere mortals in the stands or watching on the box don't have, it makes poor substitutions or reactive head scratching changes resonate even more

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The iPad shows a direct feed from an analyst's camera, usually positioned in the middle high up in the stand (half-way line position) and therefore gives a perfect angle of every scenario on the pitch, making it easier to see what's gone wrong/going well and where spaces are in the opposition/in your own team. The lead analyst on the bench can pause and rewind that as the coaches wish.

It is hugely beneficial. He's not just seeing what we see on the TV.

This. They can also edit specific video packages per player to show at half time to call out tactical issues. This is also overlayed with the GPS, heart rate date etc.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not just post-match, the video feeds get coded in realtime and are ready for half time tactical review (and in game). Its much better to SHOW player eg. Why they are out of position in certain scenarios, getting overloaded, whatever… than just tell them.

All elite sports teams use this tech not just in matches but on training pitches too. That goes for Rugby as well, big time.

Some of you are so anti-anything new you’re probably still ****ed off we invented fire. ‘Cold was good enough for me’

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not just post-match, the video feeds get coded in realtime and are ready for half time tactical review (and in game). Its much better to SHOW player eg. Why they are out of position in certain scenarios, getting overloaded, whatever… than just tell them.

All elite sports teams use this tech not just in matches but on training pitches too. That goes for Rugby as well, big time.

Some of you are so anti-anything new you’re probably still ****ed off we invented fire. ‘Cold was good enough for me’
There's a sucker born everyday.

Its just a fad, oversold by the software companies, which allows an insecure coach to hide behind. Elite footballers, not being robots, most of all
need that degree of autonomy, which allows for improvisation and enjoyment, to escape the contemporary disease of over-coaching. This is what is being endangered.

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am critical of GON, but I am very honest in saying he uses it really well!

That IPad is a great piece of kit and he is a studious guy so that is a massive help to him and what he sees to help him coach.

all coaches are different and he clearly needs the live data/different angle of the pitch and ability to rewind a moment to help him more than others who with more experience can do it trusting their eyesight and live judgement a bit more.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its just a fad, oversold by the software companies, which allows an insecure coach to hide behind. Elite footballers, not being robots, most of all
need that degree of autonomy, which allows for improvisation and enjoyment, to escape the contemporary disease of over-coaching. This is what is being endangered.
we should go back to monkey glands and making players run up hills wearing a bin bag “to get a good sweat on”

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Being a bit overly critical mate.

But I do agree that some can/could become overly reliant on it.

But it is a cracking bit of kit when balanced with using “the old eyeball” test too.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really, the iPad is part of a package of over--coaching and insecure management.
I suppose Unai Emery is the most insecure coach in football then, the technology he uses is incredible. Live data performance from Trackman telling him exactly where a player should be on the pitch at any particular time, who should take a particular free kick or throw in etc.
The days of wearing a sheepskin coat and smoking a fat cigar are over.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
The day we see him walking around with the Ipad glued to his hand for 45+45 minutes (+ extra time) every match, then we need to be worried.

loppers86

Reaction score
Radical thought, but maybe he knows best how he wants to do his job, and what he wants to use in doing that.
that may be so, but you can’t help thinking terry connor=‘clipboard’, gary o’neil=?

Back
Top Bottom