Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Short Corners ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4099
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4099

Can anyone explain why ? There driving me mad.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Because most teams are very well set up to deal with a standard corner and changing the angle and movement increases the probability of a goal. I think people who study it more than us will have evidence to support this argument.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Because most teams are very well set up to deal with a standard corner and changing the angle and movement increases the probability of a goal. I think people who study it more than us will have evidence to support this argument.

I don't disagree but I thought we'd get some joy with corners whipped straight in after they struggled with a couple early on

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Maybe consol yourself that sometimes it works?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I don’t mind if it is to work an angle but if it means we go backwards and the ball doesn’t go in the box when our CB’s are up it is frustrating.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wedont seem to have anyone who can consistently take a decent long corner.

D

Deleted member 4099

Equally, we’ve scored the most from set pieces this season, including from a short corner in the reverse fixture.

It is frustrating though when we don’t end up getting any sort of delivery in.

Earlier on in the season they seemed to be affective but that really doesn’t seem the way now and for a number of weeks.

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Does anyone remember when we used to float it in for George Berry to flick it on at the near post ?We resurrected with Jody Craddock too.
Yup, worked effectively with Dennison to Goodman/RobertsBull too, and Bazeley to Emblen also, if it didn't go in it at least always beat there first man covering near post.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone remember when we used to float it in for George Berry to flick it on at the near post ?We resurrected with Jody Craddock too.
Think we used to do the same under Graham Turner, was it mutchy on the post?

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Remember seeing Arsenal virtually win the league by just hitting them to Steve Bould to flick on for Tony Adams.

Fuse

Reaction score
You have to factor in though that statistically only about 3% of corners lead to a goal, so for every 33 corners taken one ends up in the back of the net. I think too often people expect a corner to lead to a goal, when inevitably more often than not it doesn't. The short corners might be frustrating when it doesn't end up leading to a chance or even end up in the box at all, but chances are even if we'd swung it straight into the box it wouldn't have lead to a goal anyway. The short routine is just their way of trying to manufacture a better opportunity, one that has a better probability of ending up in a goal.

Ive no idea if that's actually panning out into more actual goals than if we just lump it in, but I can see why they'd be trying it.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Short corners are great, supposed to confuse and disorient defenders to where the ball is and their markers. Just need to make sure the ball actually gets crossed into the box.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Equally, we’ve scored the most from set pieces this season, including from a short corner in the reverse fixture.
Must admit I’m surprised to read that.

As much as I love Joao, his corners are bloody awful. No pace or power, more often than not to the first man, and if it beats him, it doesn’t often meet one of our players.

Has_Talisca_Signed

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I like them.

Realistically who have we got to score from a “normal” corner anyway?

Boly, Saiss and Raul??

Seems good with a “shorter” squad to mix things up.

Think some of you on here would have us trying to whip it straight to Podence to header above Maguire and past DeGea.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to mix it up. Having said that short corners that do not deliver the ball into the box for centre backs that are present frustrate me. When they end up going all the way back to the goalkeeper or result in a loss of posession I am screaming inside.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The anti-short corner thing has always baffled me. Long corners are essentially a 50/50 ball and your attackers are up against defenders who are very likely to be bigger and stronger than they are and therefore more likely to win the ball. Yes you put your centre backs up there too who are also big and strong but they are defenders themselves and not as skilled at attacking as they are at defending. So the odds are against you scoring from a long corner and very likely you will lose possession of the ball leaving yourself open to the counter-attack.

A short corner on the other hand means you keep possession which is always a better situation to be in but you need players who are skilful enough and confident enough to play that way (especially as most of your supporters will be moaning at you for taking a short corner!)

This is the way it seems to me anyway. Barcelona in their heyday took most of their corners short but English football is still largely based on crossing into the box towards a big powerful target man.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On average a goal is scored one in every 25 corners.

It's ridiculous we celebrate getting one almost as much as a goal.

Far more chance of scoring from open play.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be nice to mix it up.

Surely if we've got a reputation of being a short corner team chuck a few long ones in there.

Make them decent though Jaos are ****.

I've always wondered why we don't purposely overhit them with someone strategically positioned to play it back in and change the angle that way.

Also why not get a few lads to hoist someone aloft to gain a height advantage? You know, like they do in that rugby game.

S

ShropshireLad

Short corners are great, supposed to confuse and disorient defenders to where the ball is and their markers. Just need to make sure the ball actually gets crossed into the box.
More goals are scored from them than they are from long ones according ti the stats someone put on here a few weeks ago.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regards the OP, yes they can be frustrating, but I think the stats support their use. We are a highly “technical” team, so if there is any angle to be had on or off the pitch, we’ll be all over it. Short corners being just one example.

When Neto is on the pitch, we have more options from corners as he and Moutinho mix it up nicely.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You get a free cross into the box.
Whether it’s short or long this should be the result. To then see it fizzle out to nothing is frustrating indeed.

D

Deleted member 4099

You get a free cross into the box.
Whether it’s short or long this should be the result. To then see it fizzle out to nothing is frustrating indeed.

This is my main point. I accept that they change angle of the ball delivery and move the defence around. But I’m not sure how successful they are for how much we try them. I happy to be proved wrong from a statistical facts if there availabile. Maybe I’m just a little bit blind on the subject.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So that nobody breaks Simon Osborns record of missing every single player and then going out for a throw-in on the other side of the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom