Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Semedo

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brillant defender and not many players get past him. Added a goal the other week, add a one Sunday with a win Nelson and you will become a hero

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's amongst the league's best right backs now. Yes, seriously.

Hopefully a contract extension again in the summer. If he doesn't extend, we will need to sell, but it will be a good time to do so after such a good season.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Hands up - I was one of his critics and thought he needed replacing. He often looked like he was going through the motions without full conviction.

I’m delighted to say he looks a different player this season.
Long may it continue.
I think a lot of this is to do with fitness. The PL demands more than the SpanishLeague, particularly if you are playing in Barcelona’s defence.

Nuno’s teams had a lot of games but played very deep and players often sat in position for lengthy periods, that’s why Johnny on the other side, who is not the most gifted athlete could get up and down and be very creative at times.

Lage and Lopetegui’s training were famously lax. GON understands the demands of the league. The players all say they are training very hard. I suspect this is the first time Nelson has been fit enough to play the role GON has earmarked for him. The same applies to Rayan. The opposite applied to Nunes and Guedes who despite being gifted were never competitive. Nelson, Rayan and others are significantly better this season because they are stronger and fitter, and it’s a joy to watch.

who knows what a genuine preseason will do?

fleck1

Reaction score
I think under JL and GON he has taken his game and consistency to another level, he's definitely been one of our stand out performers this season. H e took a while to settle and adjust to the premier league under Nuno, he's not the first and wont be the last to have that problem but he's been nowhere near as bad as some will want you to believe. Even under Bruno he was one of the stand out performers before the hamstring injury at Arsenal. Far too much is made of the fee £10m in add on most of which wont be seen unless we make Europe, £27m for a 26 year old full international with over 100 appearances for Barcelona isn't as ridiculous as some want to make it seem. I'm sure he won't be appreciated until he's no longer here.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was outstanding last night.

Felt as though he took more responsibility last night which was good. He’s generally been sound in a 1v1 over the years but he was covering round the CBs and almost all of his good work was down to positioning/intelligence as opposed to athleticism which was good to see.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think under JL and GON he has taken his game and consistency to another level, he's definitely been one of our stand out performers this season. H e took a while to settle and adjust to the premier league under Nuno, he's not the first and wont be the last to have that problem but he's been nowhere near as bad as some will want you to believe. Even under Bruno he was one of the stand out performers before the hamstring injury at Arsenal. Far too much is made of the fee £10m in add on most of which wont be seen unless we make Europe, £27m for a 26 year old full international with over 100 appearances for Barcelona isn't as ridiculous as some want to make it seem. I'm sure he won't be appreciated until he's no longer here.
Totally agree
Ive been in his camp from day one
Ok he made some mistakes early doors but mostly he was being left alone to cover two players by our left winger/midfield
With Doyle,Lemina and Gomes he gets more cover also our forwards are helping out more just in front
It just makes his game easier and hes always been top draw 1v1
His crossing is getting better too,still leaves a bit to be desired granted,but at Barca he never crossed much, it was always a pull back and we havent had the forwards till now that could read that
If he carries on with this form POTS without doubt

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON deserves a lot of credit for what he's done with him.

Another aspect this season might be that it's the first time really since Semedo has been here that he's had senior competition.

Signing Doherty might have been part of pushing him on to new levels.

fleck1

Reaction score
GON deserves a lot of credit for what he's done with him.

Another aspect this season might be that it's the first time really since Semedo has been here that he's had senior competition.

Signing Doherty might have been part of pushing him on to new levels.
I can't imagine the signing of Doherty has given him many sleepless nights, he looks well past his best. Great work from his agent to get that 3 year deal.

fleck1

Reaction score
Totally agree
Ive been in his camp from day one
Ok he made some mistakes early doors but mostly he was being left alone to cover two players by our left winger/midfield
With Doyle,Lemina and Gomes he gets more cover also our forwards are helping out more just in front
It just makes his game easier and hes always been top draw 1v1
His crossing is getting better too,still leaves a bit to be desired granted,but at Barca he never crossed much, it was always a pull back and we havent had the forwards till now that could read that
If he carries on with this form POTS without doubt
Seems a better player without Adama ahead of him, he's a good footballer and links up well with Neto, Sarabia and Cunha.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought Doc was more than decent last night. Defended well and played some lovely passes out of tight spots
I think has played well the last few games....yes he has limitations, he isn't going to skin someone on the outside and put a ball in with his left....but I think he has been reasonably solid ..

It not hard to see why he is preferred to other options at present.... because all round he is probably the better steady option for the team...

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There hasn´t been an agenda.
Fact,as I see it is that Nelson been a dud of a signing for large parts of seasons.
Now,Nelson is playing better and therefore critisism of him has stopped.
He still can´t cross a ball for toffee and he is still very underwhelming attackingwise.Talk about no end product.
However,Semedos biggest task on pitch is to keep it together defensively,and he has done that in a very solid way for a longer time period now.
The way he performed before this was sub par.Shaky in defence and offering close to nothing in attack.
Since we indeed payed alot of green stuff for him,being solid defensively is the bar he really is going to measured against.
Nelson Semedo the way he now plays isn´t a problem.It was his overall level of performances before this that was it.

Let’s hope he never needs a reference from you, seriously grudging almost praise.

A curate's egg of a write up.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think has played well the last few games....yes he has limitations, he isn't going to skin someone on the outside and put a ball in with his left....but I think he has been reasonably solid ..

It not hard to see why he is preferred to other options at present.... because all round he is probably the better steady option for the team...

I do think having Doc on the left brings out the best in Semedo going forward too.

When Ait Nouri plays, he's the one pushing on as an outlet on the left. Toti slots in as a left-back and we go to a 4, with Nelson having less license to go forward.

When Doc plays, it's the opposite. Like you say, he's not going to be skinning someone outside. He makes good runs forward coming inside into the box, but predominantly, Semedo is the attacking outlet.

I don't really like Doc on the left from an individual perspective, but as you say, it's better for the overall balance of the team.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought Doc was more than decent last night. Defended well and played some lovely passes out of tight spots
I thought he was poor first half got caught in possession a lot and got out of position on a few occasions
Mainly it was because hes totally right footed and had to keep swapping feet
Improved second half no doubt but a good winger will give him the run around there imo

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think having Doc on the left brings out the best in Semedo going forward too.

When Ait Nouri plays, he's the one pushing on as an outlet on the left. Toti slots in as a left-back and we go to a 4, with Nelson having less license to go forward.

When Doc plays, it's the opposite. Like you say, he's not going to be skinning someone outside. He makes good runs forward coming inside into the box, but predominantly, Semedo is the attacking outlet.

I don't really like Doc on the left from an individual perspective, but as you say, it's better for the overall balance of the team.
Doherty has performed for exactly what he was brought into do....be the experienced , dependable back up option who was quite flexible....the exact sort of squad player we have missed over the last few years....

He was never gonna be spectacular.....but he has been a useful addition...

The sort of player who most decent teams like us could cope without but the sort of team with average squad depth like us need.

Last edited:

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'd disagree with your last line. We've missed RAN massively, and have offered next to nothing in an attacking sense down the left since his departure.

Doc is good defensively but always has to play the ball back inside every time he receives it, rather than forward. Much rather see Bueno there

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd disagree with your last line. We've missed RAN massively, and have offered next to nothing in an attacking sense down the left since his departure.

Doc is good defensively but always has to play the ball back inside every time he receives it, rather than forward. Much rather see Bueno there
But Bueno would expose us defensively....I like Bueno but with his stop start season, hasn't looked close to what he did last season....its understandable off course.....

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't imagine the signing of Doherty has given him many sleepless nights, he looks well past his best. Great work from his agent to get that 3 year deal.
This Doc bashing is getting a bit boring. He's been more than decent since he came in to the team recently (excellent at Brentford in the cup), considering he's not 100% sharp yet and is playing on the wrong side. The only issue is he can't get down the outside very easily as a result, and usually goes inside or backward.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great to see Semedo finally showing some kind of consistency, long may it continue.
Agree 100%. If he can continue to play like he did last night, you'll get no further complaint from me. He looked like the defender that was billed when we signed him.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This Doc bashing is getting a bit boring. He's been more than decent since he came in to the team recently (excellent at Brentford in the cup), considering he's not 100% sharp yet and is playing on the wrong side. The only issue is he can't get down the outside very easily as a result, and usually goes inside or backward.

I don't think that's Doc bashing, more on GON for playing someone out of position.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Credit here. Semedo is now playing a lot better. GON and his coaching staff are certainly getting the best out of a lot of the squad members, lets hope there is more to come.

fleck1

Reaction score
Its not bashing he's well past his best, he was fantastic under Nuno. At one point when they were on the attack down his side last night and he was our furthest player up field and running in treacle to try and get back.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ability and application. Both are needed at this level.
I have always liked Semedo but understand those who felt he wasn’t performing at all times in the recent past.
Another success to GON’s management for helping to switch him on.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not bashing he's well past his best, he was fantastic under Nuno. At one point when they were on the attack down his side last night and he was our furthest player up field and running in treacle to try and get back.
There was also at least one attack down our right hand side in the first half, with Semedo not reappearing in shot for several seconds; neither player is renowned for busting a gut to get back behind the ball. Both Semedo and Doc are being asked to push quite high like wingbacks in this system, which means they might get caught the wrong side of the ball if a move breaks down (which happened numerous times for both teams). But we were well set up to deal with it down either flank.

It's fair to suggest he's not the same physically at the age of 32 than he was at 27 under Nuno, but it's remiss to declare Doc is "well past his best" when he's clearly ring rusty, having played fewer than 9 games' worth of minutes this season; Semedo has played 22 games' worth by comparison, and is obviously much sharper.

fleck1

Reaction score
There was also at least one attack down our right hand side in the first half, with Semedo not reappearing in shot for several seconds; neither player is renowned for busting a gut to get back behind the ball. Both Semedo and Doc are being asked to push quite high like wingbacks in this system, which means they might get caught the wrong side of the ball if a move breaks down (which happened numerous times for both teams). But we were well set up to deal with it down either flank.

It's fair to suggest he's not the same physically at the age of 32 than he was at 27 under Nuno, but it's remiss to declare Doc is "well past his best" when he's clearly ring rusty, having played fewer than 9 games' worth of minutes this season; Semedo has played 22 games' worth by comparison, and is obviously much sharper.
We get it Jefe you are a big Doc fan and not so much a Semedo one.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We get it Jefe you are a big Doc fan and not so much a Semedo one.
Au contraire, I've been very pleased with Semedo's form these past few weeks and hope it continues; it'd be really harsh to drop him for Doc on current form. But adjudging Doc to be well past his best in such limited and extenuating circumstances is also really harsh.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo has been the player I thought we'd signed in 2020, this season. He's developed a consistency in his defending, doesn't get caught out so much and looks comfortable on the ball. His attacking play is not the best though and a cross yesterday sailed over everyone, although he had a decent shot which the keeper parried and Hwang butchered the rebound. I thought he was a little bit below the standard he's set this season, yesterday, although he had Son to mark, throughout, so I think that's understandable. Others have argued that he was good.
Generally, Semedo doesn't contribute as much as Doc did under Nuno in the attacking third. One goal and one assist this season, would suggest as much. But, watching him defend, leaves me more comfortable than it did in seasons past.
As good as he's been; he's nowhere near PotS, being behind Neto, Cunha, Hwang, Lemina and Gomes and also possibly behind RAN.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo has been the player I thought we'd signed in 2020, this season. He's developed a consistency in his defending, doesn't get caught out so much and looks comfortable on the ball. His attacking play is not the best though and a cross yesterday sailed over everyone, although he had a decent shot which the keeper parried and Hwang butchered the rebound. I thought he was a little bit below the standard he's set this season, yesterday, although he had Son to mark, throughout, so I think that's understandable. Others have argued that he was good.
Generally, Semedo doesn't contribute as much as Doc did under Nuno in the attacking third. One goal and one assist this season, would suggest as much. But, watching him defend, leaves me more comfortable than it did in seasons past.
As good as he's been; he's nowhere near PotS, being behind Neto, Cunha, Hwang, Lemina and Gomes and also possibly behind RAN.

In my view he is definitely in the running for POTS.

Just because for a lot of people on here he was their weekly scapegoat, and now he’s making them eat their words, shouldn’t prevent him from staking a claim with the others mentioned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1 vs 1 defending and he’s as good as there is in the league. He’s been a class above this season and has shut down some of the best wide forwards in the league. He’s always going to have that “switch off moment” in some games where he doesn’t sense the danger or takes control of situations that he should but I’ll take that for the defensive security and ball retention he does bring.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228_174703_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228_174703_Chrome.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20240228_174647_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228_174647_Chrome.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 35

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good to see Max topping the premier league defender charts aswell after some of the stick he's been getting

Back
Top Bottom