Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Semedo sell or keep

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are joking surely!! I presume your comments are a wind up.
Based on past posts by that individual, who has a track record of rather idiosyncratic and eccentric, to be polite, (down right crazy if you don't wish to be) views, l seriously doubt that.

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been one our better players, but that’s not exactly a compliment. I’d say he has had a 6/7 out of 10 season.

If we do have to sell to buy new players and we could somehow get £20m+ for him I’d sell him in a heartbeat though.

Posted on another thread, we weren’t in a position to be spending £27m+ on a RB. It was stupid in hindsight.

You can find equally as effective RB’s as Semedo out there for half the price. Coufal, Cash, Justin, Walker-Peters, Castagne, Lamptey, Doherty. All cost less, considerably less in most cases, and all would’ve made as good an impact as Semedo. That doesn’t mean they’re better players individually, just they would do a job.

Honestly, spending £27m+ on a full-back is something you do when everything else is sorted. It’s a nice finishing touch to the team. You don’t do it when you’re playing two central midfielders in central defence. The same applies to £35m on a backup striker.

Rightly or wrongly, because of that price tag Semedo is judged to a higher standard and he’s doing okay now, not great, after a terrible start. Agree that he’s perhaps the least of our worries though.

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would I sell him? Yes

Would I sell him for 20 million? No

Pretty clear that if we could turn the clocks back and keep Doherty and not spend 30 million on Semedo and spent it on improving a position which was in dire need instead then I think every single one of us would do it.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
You can find equally as effective RB’s as Semedo out there for half the price. Coufal, Cash, Justin, Walker-Peters, Castagne, Lamptey, Doherty. All cost less, considerably less in most cases, and all would’ve made as good an impact as Semedo.

I don’t entirely disagree with you but I hate posts like these because it’s pure speculation. The problem isn’t Semedo, it’s the way we play and the way we have reverted to pure mind-numbing “counter” attacking football. Did he have a rough start? Absolutely. Would any of the players named above do better playing right wingback for us this season? Possibly.

The question is... if we sell Semedo, we’re left with Hoever and Adama as wingback options, and who do we get for £20ish million to improve our team? Again, it’s not down to the squad but our stupid way of playing.

Take for example Sheffield United. Every ****ing time their players go down the flank, they cross the ball into the box. It hasn’t been a great season for them, granted, but we for sure could use a few crosses into our box. Every time we go down the flank, many times outnumbering the opposition, we simply turn back and pass the ball back to midfield or to our defense, allowing the opposition to regroup.

Semedo is not the problem. Sad to say that Nuno is the problem. He’s stubborn, he’s out of ideas, and his change of system to a back 4 has cost us many stupid points this season.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have long seen Semedo as an exact parallel to my first wife.

Looks good, ticks all the boxes. But gradually you realise it ain't never gonna get no better.
You made a mistake. You need to get rid. It's going to cost you money.
But the sooner you do it the better

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t entirely disagree with you but I hate posts like these because it’s pure speculation. The problem isn’t Semedo, it’s the way we play and the way we have reverted to pure mind-numbing “counter” attacking football. Did he have a rough start? Absolutely. Would any of the players named above do better playing right wingback for us this season? Possibly.

The question is... if we sell Semedo, we’re left with Hoever and Adama as wingback options, and who do we get for £20ish million to improve our team? Again, it’s not down to the squad but our stupid way of playing.

Take for example Sheffield United. Every ****ing time their players go down the flank, they cross the ball into the box. It hasn’t been a great season for them, granted, but we for sure could use a few crosses into our box. Every time we go down the flank, many times outnumbering the opposition, we simply turn back and pass the ball back to midfield or to our defense, allowing the opposition to regroup.

Semedo is not the problem. Sad to say that Nuno is the problem. He’s stubborn, he’s out of ideas, and his change of system to a back 4 has cost us many stupid points this season.

Theres loads of options for wing back. As someone else listed people like Coufal, Castagne, Justin, Lamptey were all signed for much lower fees.

Personally if we’re poaching from relegated clubs for a bargain then George Baldock at Sheff U wouldn’t be a bad shout. Get Egan from them as well as Bennett’s replacement

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see a player who is technically nice on the ball, and good at retaining posession but with no real cutting edge to anything he does.
I see a player who gets constantly targeted as a point of weakness, positionally. He dealt with it well against Fulham in particular, but on other occasions he looks completely lost.
For me he hasn't been good enough given he was our big signing this year. I would be looking to move him on.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we would be pressed to find someone that is willing to pay more than 10 Mill for Semedo the way things has turned out.
Laugh all you want,but he IS a terrible piece of biz on our part.
That is not because Semedo is a good football player.
Quite the opposite really.

IF anyone on here thinks we would find someone willing to pay the transfer sum we paid for Nelson Semedo then that persons impressions of reality needs a hospital check up.

It is what it is.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo has made for a lovely scapegoat this year hasn't he? So has Silva.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I´d chew not only the hand off,but the whole fudging arm.
I´d sell Semedo for considerably less than 20 Mill.
An almost complete waste of money and shirt.
He is a terrible player offering close to nothing "going forward" and at every moment has a blatant defensive fault just urging to surface.

Awful player.
You’re absolutely clueless.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hear the screaming of scapegoat rather than people explaining what he is actually good at. Or what he does better than our last wing back.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said, right back/wing-back is one position where we are set up for the next few years with Semedo and Hoever, so is probably our lowest priority in terms of signings.

Also, while I agree that a fullback shouldn't be measured on goals and assists (goals in particular), our set up when we play with 3 centre backs is different to a lot of other teams.

Most teams play a variation of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. That gives them 3 out and out attacking players, 1 midfielder who is predominantly attacking and another midfielder that will get forward and join in with attacks when they can. So 4, sometimes 5 forward thinking players.

We usually have 3 out and out attacking players, plus a midfielder that will get forward and join in with attacks when they can (usually Dendoncker), giving us 3, sometimes 4 forward thinking players.

We need our wing-backs to be that extra man going forward. So in our set-up, it wouldn't be as unusual to expect them to score or assist more, as we have seen in previous seasons with Doherty and Jonny.

I'm not one of those pining to go back to what we had before, but I do think Semedo needs to back up his decent showings with more attacking output.

D

Deleted member 11332

Give him the armband and let him play schoolboy captain. Freekicks, pens, goal kicks, corners and throws.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's face it, Dwight Mcneil ran rings around him, and that is why he was taken off. Apparently we sign someone for 27 million from Barcelona, and we don't expect him to do any of his own defending.

D

Deleted member 11332

Let's face it, Dwight Mcneil ran rings around him, and that is why he was taken off. Apparently we sign someone for 27 million from Barcelona, and we don't expect him to do any of his own defending.

I don't think he did. I actually thought to myself, why is there so much hype about Dwight McNeil and I've never seen him have a good game.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those criticising Semedos attacking output, why doesn't (didn't) Jonny get the same criticism?

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have given jonny that criticism. But Jonny is a much, much better defender than Semedo.

He also had 2 goals and 2 assists in the Prem last season and won the penalty at Southampton. So 5 times the goal contributions that Semedo has had albeit in 5 more matches. If Semedo produced those kinds of numbers he’d get less criticism

Back
Top Bottom