Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Semedo sell or keep

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nelson Semedo is one of wolves most expensive purchases at 27 million. Semedo has struggled to adjust to the premier league but has improved during the second half of it.
Wolves fans are divided over the purchase with some pointing out the lack of goals and assists. There were times where he mentally switched off too.

Others think he will turn out to be a good purchase as his mistakes are fewer as the season has progressed. Fans also point out his pace and close control are better than doherty.

Do wolves cut their losses and buy someone younger with resale value like perriera from albion, or hope Semedo further improves next year?

D

Deleted member 11332

I wouldn't, but goals and assists are not a metric I really look at for full backs, plus if Raul had played all season I'd wager he'd have a few assists, his crossing isn't bad from deep but no targets to hit.

Not sure Pereira from Albion would be any good at right back either.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we got £30million from someone absolutely. Hoever will be a class player in another year or so. Perhaps someone like Baldock at Sheff U would be a good fit and cheaper to allow us to use some of the sale money elsewhere

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think he is far better in a 343. yesterday he was totally exposed by lack of support from Traore and Dendonker at times.
Burnley totally exploited the lack of support on that flank time and time again. I also believe his lack of attacking output is also down to Traore hogging the ball down that side, and there is hardly any link up between the 2.
Everywhere I look, Traore is the root of so many of our problems.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the money we spent if we could anywhere near that back I'd snap their hand off.

I'm just not convinced in him a pre season would definitely do him good but he has tenancy to switch off and is a bit lazy IMO.

For £28M plus add ons we could have got a better right back/wingback in IMO.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't, but goals and assists are not a metric I really look at for full backs, plus if Raul had played all season I'd wager he'd have a few assists, his crossing isn't bad from deep but no targets to hit.

Not sure Pereira from Albion would be any good at right back either.
Joao Cancelo cost Man City £60m and in his first season got 1 goal (against Oxford) and 1 assist (against Fulham).

This season he's got 1 goal and 4 assists.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As many lapses of concentration he has, we have bigger issues than RB

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure what people expect from a right wing back when talking about goals & assists.

We've been anemic scoring goals all season and Neto has stats equivalent to other teams highest assisting full backs / wing backs (who incidentally seem to take set pieces).

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nelson Semedo is one of wolves most expensive purchases at 27 million. Semedo has struggled to adjust to the premier league but has improved during the second half of it.
Wolves fans are divided over the purchase with some pointing out the lack of goals and assists. There were times where he mentally switched off too.

Others think he will turn out to be a good purchase as his mistakes are fewer as the season has progressed. Fans also point out his pace and close control are better than doherty.

Do wolves cut their losses and buy someone younger with resale value like perriera from albion, or hope Semedo further improves next year?
Could we get back anywhere near what we paid for him? No? Then have to keep him.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

I’d definitely keep. One of the few who I think has the ability to play in a top Premier League side.

I’d be building around:

Rui
Semedo
Boly
RAN
Neves
Vitinha
Neto
Raul
spot on but i'd get slated for saying get rid of any others that we could get money for.
What needs to be done and what will actually happen are 2 different things though.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has got better as he has adjusted to the premier league. A lack of goals is not down to Semedo. With our central defence looking a shadow of its former self, and Traore not always tracking back, it has left him exposed. Sort out the rest of the defence and he will be just fine.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather sell Traore, push Semedo up and have Hoever play behind him.
Could be something to consider if we want to develop with both a back 3/5 and a back 4.

Hoever at RCB with Semedo RWB. Can switch between the 2 formations when in and out of possession.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The agenda against this player really amazes me
He has been probably our most consistent performer since the years turn,he is playing in a team that is struggling on so many fronts
His first season here,first season in a new league,new country and new system for him
He has literally no cover in front of him from Traore or Donk or Neves when hes played there tbh
What do people expect?
Was Doc a better defender? No
Was Doc a better footballer ? No
The only thing Doc was better at was getting in the box,and it took him 10 years to get there,not done much at super Spurs as he?
Semedo is not perfect,no one is,but he has improved no end this season and next he will be even better
Get off his back and look at the rest of this squad,they are far more in need of a shall we keep poll

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read through all this but why are we picking on Semedo specifically? Perhaps of all our players I think he is the one who does have genuine Prem quality, though I agree we haven't seen too much of it this season! Though that could be said for every one of our team.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure what people expect from a right wing back when talking about goals & assists.

We've been anemic scoring goals all season and Neto has stats equivalent to other teams highest assisting full backs / wing backs (who incidentally seem to take set pieces).

Well I think unfortunately we’ve sold our 3rd most prolific player who happened to play RWB and who was a generally solid outlet for the ball whenever we attack for £12m and bought a player for double that to replace him who doesn’t look like scoring and is probably only a marginally more solid defender.

The issues posed by our inefficiencies at both LWB and RWB this season I feel have been the source of most of our problems tactically. Kilman, RAN and particularly Semedo have been obviously targeted by the opposition during games and this has put them on the back foot, whereas previously for all of our defensive mindedness our WB’s were always on the front foot in games. I caught some highlights a little while back of last season and I’d forgotten just how attack minded Johnny and Doc were having watched us this season.

Selling Doherty and bringing in a (currently) inferior replacement and knowing Johnny would be out for at least half the season and replacing him with an unknown youngster and an injury prone senior has caused us all sorts of difficulties and has been a major error of judgement in the transfer market.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
If you were Semedo, having joined a club that had finished 7th two years in a row and were Europa League quarter-finalists you may have expected better quality defenders alongside you.

I actually suspect he may be on the phone asking for a move himself, and I couldn't blame him. Playing in a team with a decent defensive unit and he'll be a better acquisition than he already is.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolute no brainer that we keep him!! He has been one of the top performers in the team since he turned a corner against Villa......

his block and then quick movement to get the rebound off him set up the play that created the goal against Sheffield UTD.

it can’t be easy playing with the defensive partners he has at the minute when your used to the Calibre of Pique at club level or Dias at international level.....

He also offers good link up play in the final third, but also their are some league wide stats where he is top 4 defensively.

he arrived lacking fitness and the premiership
Is so unforgiving in that regard, but he is really coming on and he is a player who I think will really kick on next season and be one of the top performers with a pre-season behind him.

Montana_Man

Groupie
Reaction score
Surprised we haven't tried Semedo in a midfield role with Hoever at right back.

I've been thinking this myself for a while now. I think he could actually be better suited for the midfield with his skill set. Maybe once someone like Hoever has a little more experience, they can experiment with Semedo in that role.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone think we should get this guy? He scores loads from right back!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone think we should get this guy? He scores loads from right back!

You neglected to mention that is in the SPL where half of the teams are L1 quality at best....

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the money we spent if we could anywhere near that back I'd snap their hand off.

I'm just not convinced in him a pre season would definitely do him good but he has tenancy to switch off and is a bit lazy IMO.

For £28M plus add ons we could have got a better right back/wingback in IMO.
Better? I didn’t know that. In some ways I wish you hadn’t said that.

Not sure I can trust Wolves at transfers again.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who's actually seen our games lately will know how important he currently is to the team. Yeah he wasn't great against Burnley, but no one was. No need for knee jerk reactions.

Now, would I have spent all our transfer budget last summer on a RB rather than say a CB or CM? Teams like Utd or City can spunk £30m on a RB but teams in Wolves financial position probably shouldn't. But that doesn't change the fact he's actually been a very good signing for us imo. I don't think Nuno (or the fans) could have seen the likes of Boly/Donck falling off a cliff, form wise, this season or Raul suffering such a severe season ending injury and leaving a huge hole through the spine of the team.

Last edited:

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Semedo must stay. Far more candidates to leave the club ahead of Semedo after what I saw yesterday.
I am still surprised he was the one sacrificed yesterday when we made the changes.....

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am still surprised he was the one sacrificed yesterday when we made the changes.....

His substitution and putting Adama at wing back just summed up the utter shambles that was yesterday and what we have seen countless times this season by Nuno.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I´d chew not only the hand off,but the whole fudging arm.
I´d sell Semedo for considerably less than 20 Mill.
An almost complete waste of money and shirt.
He is a terrible player offering close to nothing "going forward" and at every moment has a blatant defensive fault just urging to surface.

Awful player.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could we get back anywhere near what we paid for him? No? Then have to keep him.
Says it all really.
I don´t anyone would offer anywhere close to 20 Mill.
There is a logical reason for that and it is not because Semedo is a good football player.

Back
Top Bottom