Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Season Tickets

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There are a number of "I'm alright, Jack" responses to all this, which leaves a bad taste. "Ticket prices are hiked, but that's okay, I can afford it." isn't a justification of the price rises, it just means you personally can keep attending. Which is fine, good on you, but it misses the point.

Watching your football club isn't a brand of ready meal from Tesco where, if it gets too expensive, you just buy something cheaper instead. You're stuck with your club, there are no alternatives, you can't just opt for a different dinner. You attend, or you don't attend. A lot of supporters are being priced out of attending, and that takes something away that can't be replaced. When you say "That's okay, I can afford it," you're saying sod the rest, your fellow fans, which is cruel, because you know exactly what it means to them.

Wolves is a business. All businesses of the kind operate the same way. Here's a product, here's the price. Cough Up Or **** Off. And that can be dressed up in all manner of glossy mailshots and "We're One Pack" slogans, but at the end of the day, they can charge what they want, knowing that, for now (and now is what they care about, not five years time) there are customers. There's no loyalty, no history, it's just about cash in the till. And the standard of the product doesn't even matter, it's just labelling and marketing, and there's a nice, colourful Premier League sticker on the packet for now.

Which is up to them. But let's not have the bull from Shi or whoever about Wolves being for the fans, for the community, and understanding, and providing, and One Pack, and Football Without Fans Is Nothing, and all the rest of it, because that's just the sweet talk to get you to pony up and say "Yeah, it's okay, it's my club."

They've chosen to do this, for no real discernible benefit other than a few extra million on the bottom line, after an awful Covid year, with no evidence at all that they're aggressively seeking to make that top six/top four dream a reality (which still misses the point but would at least be something). I watched those round table meetings and I honestly thought gentle Jeff, while being a businessman, was genuinely trying to appreciate the unique place in a community that a football club holds, and that it wasn't ALL about money. But it's just words.

Welcome to Wolves. Cough Up Or **** Off.
Great post

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know the percentage of season ticket holders who have renewed season to season over the last thirty years, just to see if there is any significant difference. I seem to remember Wolves saying a few years ago that over 90% had renewed, but I can't remember which year that was. Of course some people can't renew because of new jobs, new commitments, etc. I just wonder if renewal rates change that much. It would be good to see some data. I suspect it's fairly consistent.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you're in the 6000ths will you get a chance at a season ticket?

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
Looking at an Athletic Article and the article above (based on non hospitality renewal prices for 21/22).

Our cheapest adult season ticket at £549 is the 5th most expensive in the division.

Our most expensive adult season ticket at £733 is the 14th most expensive in the division.

If you take the middle point between £549 and £733 it gives you £641. This puts us 11th. Villa are at £527 and Leicester are at £608. Obviously there is no easy way to look at it - as you have different 'capacities' for different price points. Man City fans can pay between £325 and £1410 as an example. And I would imagine the vast majority of adult season ticket holders are paying nearer the lower end at the Etihad.

Leeds and some other clubs (Man Utd) very rarely move the ticket prices - Leeds are 10 years without an increase.

If you were to put in our 'new' prices for 'new' season ticket holders - £622 cheapest/£830 most expensive (and this is not perfect as some other clubs will undoubtedly move their own prices for 'new' season tickets, where they have availability) - we are 4th in the cheapest adult ticket and 12th in the most expensive adult ticket 'rankings'. However that move means our mid point goes to £726, putting us 7th in the league behind the big six.
What you covered is important and shows how misleading the cheapest season ticket ranking can be.

Clubs that are bigger, or have a larger fan base (or even just have a larger stadium) are able to offer cheaper cheap seats because they've got more people in the stadium and/or "premium" seating categories that cost way more than the most expensive Molineux ticket. These clubs essentially supplement the price paid for the cheapest seat with the excess from the most expensive. Meanwhile, the price difference per match between the cheapest and most expensive Wolves ST is less than £10/match.

Also, just because a PL club may have a cheaper cheap seat than is available at Molineux, there may be very few of them; it's more about PR than getting people into the stadium at an affordable rate.

It's £549-553 for the cheapest Wolves ST, but those prices cover the entirety of the Stan Cullis, Sir Jack, and Billy Wright Lower stands, which is a large portion of Molineux. Aston Villa has ST available for as little as £370, but the map below shows "Price Zone 6" is minuscule (confined to three tiny corner sections in full and small fractions of other sections). Most of Villa Park costs more than the ~£550 Molineux seats.

ecb3d250-c2e1-11eb-bc87-c7eb39c3074e.jpg

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are a number of "I'm alright, Jack" responses to all this, which leaves a bad taste. "Ticket prices are hiked, but that's okay, I can afford it." isn't a justification of the price rises, it just means you personally can keep attending. Which is fine, good on you, but it misses the point.

Watching your football club isn't a brand of ready meal from Tesco where, if it gets too expensive, you just buy something cheaper instead. You're stuck with your club, there are no alternatives, you can't just opt for a different dinner. You attend, or you don't attend. A lot of supporters are being priced out of attending, and that takes something away that can't be replaced. When you say "That's okay, I can afford it," you're saying sod the rest, your fellow fans, which is cruel, because you know exactly what it means to them.

Wolves is a business. All businesses of the kind operate the same way. Here's a product, here's the price. Cough Up Or **** Off. And that can be dressed up in all manner of glossy mailshots and "We're One Pack" slogans, but at the end of the day, they can charge what they want, knowing that, for now (and now is what they care about, not five years time) there are customers. There's no loyalty, no history, it's just about cash in the till. And the standard of the product doesn't even matter, it's just labelling and marketing, and there's a nice, colourful Premier League sticker on the packet for now.

Which is up to them. But let's not have the bull from Shi or whoever about Wolves being for the fans, for the community, and understanding, and providing, and One Pack, and Football Without Fans Is Nothing, and all the rest of it, because that's just the sweet talk to get you to pony up and say "Yeah, it's okay, it's my club."

They've chosen to do this, for no real discernible benefit other than a few extra million on the bottom line, after an awful Covid year, with no evidence at all that they're aggressively seeking to make that top six/top four dream a reality (which still misses the point but would at least be something). I watched those round table meetings and I honestly thought gentle Jeff, while being a businessman, was genuinely trying to appreciate the unique place in a community that a football club holds, and that it wasn't ALL about money. But it's just words.

Brilliant post. Agree with every point entirely

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And you proof of that is????
I'd say the season tickets pricing of the new, the increase in match day prices, the increase in two sections of the ground, would be very indicative of an increase coming swiftly your way, but you'll be alright.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say the season tickets pricing of the new, the increase in match day prices, the increase in two sections of the ground, would be very indicative of an increase coming swiftly your way, but you'll be alright.
Oh I get it now, you dont have any proof whatsoever. Sound.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And you proof of that is????
It's common sense. I have no proof that Man City won't be relegated this season but I know they won't, just like I know Wolves' prices will go up. Do you really think fans that pay £729 in the Steve Bull this season are going to get a discount next season? Or are they going to push everyone up to that price? Pretty obvious.

dizzydonut

Groupie
Reaction score

For me the crowd are the 12th man. Arguably this rise would probably fund the wages of regular premier league player (maybe 1.5 players). As a fan Id rather have the atmosphere - I appreciate you can't have one without the other, but disappointed by their direction here.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's common sense. I have no proof that Man City won't be relegated this season but I know they won't, just like I know Wolves' prices will go up. Do you really think fans that pay £729 in the Steve Bull this season are going to get a discount next season? Or are they going to push everyone up to that price. Pretty obvious.
But if you're right and fans wont put up with it and we end up with no one buying match day tickets then I imagine next summer the prices will stay the same.

You're Man City analogy is awful btw.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It's common sense. I have no proof that Man City won't be relegated this season but I know they won't, just like I know Wolves' prices will go up. Do you really think fans that pay £729 in the Steve Bull this season are going to get a discount next season? Or are they going to push everyone up to that price? Pretty obvious.
Next season match day tickets are going up as well reading the tea leaves. You almost have to else sometimes they are better value than season tickets.

I'd sacrifice a squad player (not literally) and give their role to a youth player to keep ticket prices lower personally, but I know many want both

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you really think fans that pay £729 in the Steve Bull this season are going to get a discount next season?
No. But I also think that there are enough fans on the waiting list who would be happy to pay £1500 a season to sit in the Steve Bull.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree with the sentiment of lots of that I really do, however I think a lot of it and a lot put by other posters isnt reality.

I see the "pricing fans out of football" bit, however you also have to have a realistic view on it. If we are using the current economic climate as a barometer, some people unfortunately would be priced out regardless of the increase, in fact im sure there are people who have season tickets now who would have been priced out if it had stayed the same. Thats the reality of the global economy and people own personal situation, that cant be heaped at the club.

I totally get that money is tight for people, I work in finance I see it every day. If money is tight for an individual whether a ticket is £35 or £50 is pretty irrelevant because they cant afford either of them.

There's always talk of "loyal" fans, whats the measure of that in reality. In my lifetime id say season ticket holders at the wolves have been from either 4000 a season to 22,000 a season. Ive seen average gates in the championship be 16k and ive seen them be 26k. Currently, the club like any business see demand massively outstrip supply and are acting accordingly, thats life. In the same way everyone hates moxey but I remember a spell 14 years or so ago where season ticket prices were froze for 3 season because the demand wasnt there.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really? I don't. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Don't ignore the fact that a lot of people on the season ticket waiting list purchased a membership just to be eligible for the list. In effect, you have people paying £35 a year just to be on a waiting list with no guarantee of anything.

If the Brunolution produces an average gpg of 2.2 and we're in the good half of the table, I don't think £1500 would be too unrealistic.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. But I also think that there are enough fans on the waiting list who would be happy to pay £1500 a season to sit in the Steve Bull.

£1500? Really?

I think there might be a fair few keen to pay the £729 for SBU tickets. But doubling that is crazy talk.

I know I’m fortunate and (employment permitting) pretty comfortable financially at the moment and can afford the £729, I could afford the £1500 too (if I never told the mrs the cost!!!) but I would only consider paying £729 next summer if there is a significant improvement in the football being served and a high finish in the table (top 8 minimum), and I wouldn’t pay £1500 for my current seat in the SBU even if we’d just won the CL final.

I think the pricing strategy is wrong and will push out fans who have been with us for years (far longer than me in J9 as a PL STH) and feel it’s a cynical cash grab from the club which doesn’t reflect the bulk of our supporters financial situation, particularly during a pandemic.

Someone shared a map of Villa Park above, surely we could set aside S1 and S5, with similar blocks in the North Bank as lower priced ST’s and allow the longest serving STH’s first dibs on these, at least those that have committed to Wolves through thick and thin could opt for a slightly cheaper ticket.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I think the vast majority of fans on the waiting list would not pay £1500 a season to sit in the Steve Bull.
Way past the financial pain barrier for most, and in that stand with cramped seats, poor facilities etc, no chance.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ahh, the ostrich approach!
Not at all, I just dont see the point in discussing something that is a calendar year away and that no one has any insight into whatsoever. There are a multitude of things that could happen in the next 12 months that affect next seasons prices. At the moment its just something else to bash Fosun/Shi/Clark over.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you don’t get involved in any speculation conversations on here? Which is kind of a key point of a forum.
Not something with such a timescale away and so many variances.

Like I wouldnt be interested in discussing the summer transfers of 2022 right now either.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£1500? Really?
Yeah, really. You might not want to pay it and I'm sure many on the waiting list would baulk at that price also, but I honestly believe that the club could find enough punters on the season ticket waiting list who would go for it. That doesn't mean it would represent good value, it just means that I think there are enough marks on the list, and Fosun know it.

We live in an age where the average UK consumer spends almost £500 a year on takeaway food. In that context, I don't think £1500 is outside of the realms of possibility.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all, I just dont see the point in discussing something that is a calendar year away and that no one has any insight into whatsoever. There are a multitude of things that could happen in the next 12 months that affect next seasons prices. At the moment its just something else to bash Fosun/Shi/Clark over.
Relegation is the only thing.

I would say a global pandemic could make them think twice about raising prices, but y'know...

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Relegation is the only thing.

I would say a global pandemic could make them think twice about raising prices, but y'know...
So if fans found match day tickets too rich and attendances dropped to 27-28k a game, then you'd still expect a massive increase next season?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's the whole point of labelling you with the 'im alright jack' attitude. You avoided the costs, loads haven't, so it is absolutely a massive stick to bash Fosun with. For me? Take me back to League one any day of the week.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if fans found match day tickets too rich and attendances dropped to 27-28k a game, then you'd still expect a massive increase next season?
No, that could work as well tbf. Any mass fan protest could work and I hope we get to that point.

Unfortunately, I see zero chance of that happening.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's the whole point of labelling you with the 'im alright jack' attitude. You avoided the costs, loads haven't, so it is absolutely a massive stick to bash Fosun with. For me? Take me back to League one any day of the week.
You'll find im in a position the same as many other season ticket holders.

As for League one, I went home and away all that season, was a great laugh. Would I swap seeing Jacobs, Golborne and Evans for the players we are seeing now. Absolutely not. The fact most fans think we need to upgrade on Moutinho who is probably the best (and most decorated) player ive seen in a wolves shirt makes me thankful of what fosun have done.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, that could work as well tbf. Any mass fan protest could work and I hope we get to that point.

Unfortunately, I see zero chance of that happening.
No because demand currently massively outstrips supply. Football is a fickle beast, a few signings, win the first three and people wont care a jot about the increase. Ive heard it all before over the years, people wont be renewing if it gets to "x" amount only to see them the following season.

Fan protests mean absolutely Jack ****. Look at Newcastle, how many they have had, they still buy their shirts and turn up at games. West Ham fans hated the owners until last season when they actually did something.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, really. You might not want to pay it and I'm sure many on the waiting list would baulk at that price also, but I honestly believe that the club could find enough punters on the season ticket waiting list who would go for it. That doesn't mean it would represent good value, it just means that I think there are enough marks on the list, and Fosun know it.

We live in an age where the average UK consumer spends almost £500 a year on takeaway food. In that context, I don't think £1500 is outside of the realms of possibility.

I can’t recall the numbers on the waiting list, 10,000 is it?

Let’s say 2,000 existing STH dropped out at the thought of paying £1500, I don’t believe 20% of the waiting would be willing or able to stump up £1500 to join the club.

I guess we’ll see, will be interesting to observe what number in the waiting list it gets down to this summer at £729 to assess cost feasibility for the waiting list.

I admire your blind faith in the new Lage regime BTW, and sincerely hope your predictions come true. Will happily eat my slightly pessimistic words should that be the case.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment of lots of that I really do, however I think a lot of it and a lot put by other posters isnt reality.

I see the "pricing fans out of football" bit, however you also have to have a realistic view on it. If we are using the current economic climate as a barometer, some people unfortunately would be priced out regardless of the increase, in fact im sure there are people who have season tickets now who would have been priced out if it had stayed the same. Thats the reality of the global economy and people own personal situation, that cant be heaped at the club.

I totally get that money is tight for people, I work in finance I see it every day. If money is tight for an individual whether a ticket is £35 or £50 is pretty irrelevant because they cant afford either of them.

There's always talk of "loyal" fans, whats the measure of that in reality. In my lifetime id say season ticket holders at the wolves have been from either 4000 a season to 22,000 a season. Ive seen average gates in the championship be 16k and ive seen them be 26k. Currently, the club like any business see demand massively outstrip supply and are acting accordingly, thats life. In the same way everyone hates moxey but I remember a spell 14 years or so ago where season ticket prices were froze for 3 season because the demand wasnt there.
I think success or otherwise is usually the main factor in whether crowds go up or down
(wolves lowest average crowd in the last 30 years was 13,500 in 1992/93 and only once dipped below 20,000 since
19,200}

bigwolf

Reaction score

A very good post.

As I said earlier revenue, income and profitability and the absolute key objectives for Fosun and have always been.

They purchased the brand knowing the was value to be extracted. Not to win trophies or play sexy football. That is a by product if they get it right.

I've always told myself I don't mind that as long as the club does not lose its soul along the way, retains what makes wolves great and acknowledges that fans are as important as profit.

But I fear we are now on that slippery slope where our soul is slowly leaving Molinuex.

As is the case with have most of the top eight premier leagues teams. Sad times.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think success or otherwise is usually the main factor in whether crowds go up or down
(wolves lowest average crowd in the last 30 years was 13,500 in 1992/93 and only once dipped below 20,000 since
19,200}
My point exactly. In the last 40 years we havent been as sucessful as now and the demand far outweighs the supply.

Back
Top Bottom