Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Season Opener

N

nicko69

Talking about this earlier.
Apparently all the top 6 from the previous season play the promoted teams or lower half teams in their first game , home or away.
I've not checked that but I'm sure someone will ?

Your assumption is CORRECT.

Last season, the 3 promoted teams started with: Crystal Palace v Huddersfield; Newcastle v Spurs (2nd ); Brighton v Man City (3rd). (So, yes, two of the promoted teams got Top Six clubs).

The other Top Six clubs got: Chelsea (1st) v Burnley (16th); Arsenal (5th) v Leicester (12th); Man United (6th) v West Ham (11th); Watford (17th) v Liverpool (4th).

Man City, Man United, Spurs and Arsenal all won, but Chelsea lost 3-2 at home to Burnley and Watford drew 3-3 at home to Liverpool.

Wswolf

Reaction score
I can see them screwing us giving us 2 or 3 of the top 6 in the first 4 games. Something like city spurs bournemouth arsenal.

N

nicko69

I can see them screwing us giving us 2 or 3 of the top 6 in the first 4 games. Something like city spurs bournemouth arsenal.

That start would not be too bad.:) Last season Burnley's first 5 away games...Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Man City.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not fussed bring it on. would like a home match first and last game .:p

M

MonkeySpanner

I would like to get them out the way early. Anything can happen right at the start of the season. Nuno's boys ready from the off, unknown factor, scalps ready for the taking.

W

Will Wolf

Newcastle (H) - start with a win against a big club

Man Utd (A) - evening KO, have a good go. Draw/Win is a bonus

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
City away.

Guaranteed to be one of the top 4 or 5 teams at the very least. The FA like to give the big guns an 'easy' game on the opening day.

S

Southbank Ebanks

I always reckon it's lucky to face one of the biggest favorites early on in the season. They're always going to be tough to beat, but in the first few games you can hope that they haven't really gelled and figured out all their tactics yet, so I feel like there's a better chance to pull off an upset there and then.

I agree with this except in the case of Man City. I think they will have the same tactics, formation and players (with the addition of maybe 1 to the starting line-up) so will be pretty well drilled after their record breaking season. I’d take any of the others though as they need to strengthen greatly and like you said, there will be a chance they havnt gelled yet.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about a nice quiet Sunday season opener at Turf Moor (12.30 kick-off)?
Due to Europa League, Burnley play their first two games on a Sunday unless they fall at first hurdle.

Wat a ****ing **** hole that is.So in

one way i agree.Just gerrit out the way.:(

It's probably the ony ground I have always had a ruck at.One year ar coach had a ****ing spear through the winda.I always thought zulus were blouse :p

Last edited:

Beach Umbrella

Groupie
Reaction score
I’ve kept a screenshot of us at the top of the Prem league table. We were top for a short while at half-time on Match Day 4 in 2010.

...... so an easy start will do for me, to see us at the top end of the table, early doors.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So there's talk of the big teams needing to gel?
There will be 2 teams needing to gel too if our transfer activity goes to plan.

Rufio

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Or Chelsea.

More probability of Spurs imo. We know they have to play away due to the stadium issue and cannot play any other of the top 6. That's 15 teams they could get away. It's unlikely they will schedule a derby match to kick off so rule out Fulham, Palace and West Ham. If you count Watford as a derby it leaves Spurs with 11 fixtures they have to play away from home on the opening day, of which we are one.

T

Tamworth Wolf

Apparently the first day fixtures have been leaked and have us at home against Chelsea !
Det8yp1XkAEdOMZ.jpg

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I always thought PL fixtures came out randomly like lottery numbers.

Is it true the FA can determine fixtures for the top six?

If so, how can that be fair, rigging the system in favour of the big clubs?

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I always thought PL fixtures came out randomly like lottery numbers.

Is it true the FA can determine fixtures for the top six?

If so, how can that be fair, rigging the system in favour of the big clubs?
Not quite that simple and although they won't admit it I bet Sky/BT are considered so that there's a good spread of top six fixtures across the season and likely title contenders play each other late on etc. Here's how the officially do it:

How the Premier League fixture list is compiled

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure that these will be the fixtures. Don't they have a trial run, just to test the system before they run the actual fixtures? Sure I read this somewhere a few years ago.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although, Chelsea at home would be a great curtain-raiser if this is what happens.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just seeing the 'leaked list', whatever it's origins, gets the adrenalin going and gives the feel for the transfer market becoming manic once the World Cup is over. Little wonder clubs are doing what business they can before then.

Media Wolf Pete

Groupie
Reaction score
Top 6 club in the sun at home in front of a packed Mol. Hopefully they'll be slightly depleted as their top players come back from the WC and have an extended break

D

Deleted member 4436

Arsenal at home, they have struggled away from home this year. Could see us beating them.
Don’t want Bournemouth away small pitch which we seam to struggle with and crap allocation.

Interesting you should say that as it is something we were talking about it a couple of weeks ago. Pitch sizes are a perception thing.

For example, Bournemouth actually have a larger pitch than Wolves: Football Pitch Dimension Rules | Why are Football Pitches Not all the Same Size? | Football-Stadiums.co.uk

We have the smallest playing surface in the Premier League.

SE_Wolves

Reaction score
Brighton away, day in the sun down the coast, what could possibly go wrong? ;)

F

FLEET WOLF

All I shall say is that a home game first would be great-and if it is one of the top clubs and we do them, then perhaps one or two pundits might start taking us a bit more seriously!

W

Will Wolf

Apparently the first day fixtures have been leaked and have us at home against Chelsea !
Det8yp1XkAEdOMZ.jpg

Interesting opening day if true.

We have the hardest fixture of the promoted clubs but could conceivably see us, Fulham and Cardiff winning.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure that these will be the fixtures. Don't they have a trial run, just to test the system before they run the actual fixtures? Sure I read this somewhere a few years ago.

Indeed they do. A provisional set of fixtures is sent to all clubs, and if there are any concerns with certain games then changes can be made. Aside from not having say Spurs/Arsenal at home on the same day, Liverpool and Manchester United have both requested not to play each other on the anniversaries of Munich and Hillsborough. And many other clubs have dates when they will request to be away from home.

Having said that, I doubt very much that the leaked fixtures are genuine, probably just someone having a bit of fun on social media.

Back
Top Bottom