Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Season Opener

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was talking about this at work the other day.
I got asked (by a sandwell) whether I'd like a 'Big' name to start with, one of the Top 6 or to try and carry on the momentum of winning and take a Palarse, Huddersfield et al and work our way up to the big boys.

My head says to leave the big boys for as long as we can and try and gain points and extra confidence. My gold tinted glasses tell me to get into the big boys and do a job.

What do you want?

Chwolf

Reaction score
Arsenal at home, they have struggled away from home this year. Could see us beating them.
Don’t want Bournemouth away small pitch which we seam to struggle with and crap allocation.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Arsenal at home, they have struggled away from home this year. Could see us beating them.
Don’t want Bournemouth away small pitch which we seam to struggle with and crap allocation.

We have a bad record against arsenal though don’t we and they’ll have the new manager effect

D

Deleted member 4382

I’d like a big team, but not too big at home for first match.
Avoid City United Chelsea etc.
An Everton or Newcastle would do nicely. Thump ‘em 2-0 and wait for the press reviews.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I’d prefer the early confidence booster tbh.

Cardiff at home. Can’t see them getting away with as much roughing-up in the Prem. Take that away from them, pretty safe win long as don’t concede from a long throw ;)

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good question!
The first game can often be a good time to play one of the very top teams ( we are an unknown quantity and they are not at their best).

Though part of me would really like to start the season by righting the wrong of that home defeat to Cardiff last season...

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i am confident....but....the closer it gets to the first game the more my confidence will ebb away a bit. I'm hoping for a good performance and not a kicking. so, for me a team like newcastle at home would suit

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Top Six” team ... early sighter. Set some expectations (either way), early doors.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Was talking about this at work the other day.
I got asked (by a sandwell) whether I'd like a 'Big' name to start with, one of the Top 6 or to try and carry on the momentum of winning and take a Palarse, Huddersfield et al and work our way up to the big boys.

My head says to leave the big boys for as long as we can and try and gain points and extra confidence. My gold tinted glasses tell me to get into the big boys and do a job.

What do you want?

Points on the board early doors for me....don’t disagree with the above...

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I'm up for a big gun at home so as we can give notice.... catching someone like Chelski cold early doors would be great.

Failing that getting our local derby and Colin out the way first up could be good too. Would be nice doing them with the ref knocking the stuffing out of them. :)

FinnishWolf

Reaction score
I always reckon it's lucky to face one of the biggest favorites early on in the season. They're always going to be tough to beat, but in the first few games you can hope that they haven't really gelled and figured out all their tactics yet, so I feel like there's a better chance to pull off an upset there and then.

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don't! I still get night sweats from September 2003, watching us lose 5-0. Bloody Crespo, Lampard, Duff and Hasselbaink.
What a start to that season!! Anticipation, expectation ....5-1 drubbing away st Blackburn, the score line flattered us, followed by 0-4 at home to the Mighty Charlton. I think the Chelsea drubbing was live on Sky for all to see.

This time it WILL be different.

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Have a feeling for one of the Manchesters away. Citeh/United played 1 lost 1

N

nicko69

How about a nice quiet Sunday season opener at Turf Moor (12.30 kick-off)?
Due to Europa League, Burnley play their first two games on a Sunday unless they fall at first hurdle.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man Utd home please. SKY will probably televise this !!

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the big boys, particularly with the World Cup hampering a lot of their pre season plans, free hit for us.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about a nice quiet Sunday season opener at Turf Moor (12.30 kick-off)?
Due to Europa League, Burnley play their first two games on a Sunday unless they fall at first hurdle.

I work Saturday afternoon-evening, so STs and normal kick-off times no good to me.
Love hoovering up early KOs and Sunday games though, plenty of those please (although I appreciate that’s hardly popular with most)

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Iv always thought the big teams tend to slip up at the beginning of the season. Lots of players away longer due to W.C duties. Maybe a couple not fully fit. Sneak a draw or win against a Manure or Spurs would be a perfect start

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope its away, I don't get back from my cruise to make it :)

Locks Heath Wolf

Reaction score
Head says: Home vs Palace, B'mouth, H'field, West Ham, Watford, Burnley etc....
Heart says: Away vs Man Utd (Jose moaning about the players World cup hangover as we take all 3 points?)

JJ59

Reaction score
Leicester at home, just like last summer. A win to start the season.

Lofty wolf

Reaction score
Talking about this earlier.
Apparently all the top 6 from the previous season play the promoted teams or lower half teams in their first game , home or away.
I've not checked that but I'm sure someone will ?

Freeport wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not my choice but I have a feeling it will be Spurs at Molineux.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
It’s a 1 in 3 chance that it’s Man City away, I believe. I read somewhere that the Champions get a home game against a promoted team to start the season and that none of the top 5 from last season are allowed to play each other in the first weekend. Not 100% sure it’s true, but it seems plausible.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man U at home. Utd are often slow starters and we have a relatively good record against them.

Back
Top Bottom