Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Saudi Arabia 2034

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After Qatar rolled out the red carpet last winter, there neighbours in Saudi Arabia are set to do the same and host the 2034 FIFA World Cup, after there only probably rivals to host in Australia declined to bid.

The deadline for bids is 4pm this afternoon and it is no doubt what FIFA wanted.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We have explored the opportunity to bid to host the FIFA World Cup™ and - having taken all factors into consideration - we have reached the conclusion not to do so for the 2034 competition.

I wonder what 'all the factors' were? What a joke if no other country in the World wants the World Cup - is it the cost of the stadiums or the brown envelopes I wonder?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have explored the opportunity to bid to host the FIFA World Cup™ and - having taken all factors into consideration - we have reached the conclusion not to do so for the 2034 competition.

I wonder what 'all the factors' were? What a joke if no other country in the World wants the World Cup - is it the cost of the stadiums or the brown envelopes I wonder?
I think they told Europe and South America that they weren’t considering bids from them. This might, however, have been something I half listened to on the radio so could be completely wrong.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I think they told Europe and South America that they weren’t considering bids from them. This might, however, have been something I half listened to on the radio so could be completely wrong.
Well that makes sense, need to move it round the continents. It's really time they got football established in Antarctica, maybe just limit it to there in 2038?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FIFA rigged this by bringing forward the deadline for nominations, complete with supporting material, without announcing it in advance. Funnily, almost immediately, Saudi announced their interest, together with prepared supporting material. Also, the prior WC has been strangely spread over multiple continents so ruling out the majority of countries for 2034. Would be interesting to review the bank accounts of FIFA and their senior staff..

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv been close to Mecca not the bingo hall and the food out there is shocking all take away style. The old alcohol issue.

Money talks look at Qatar and what they did. I hope the likes of Romania Greece & Bulgaria make a joint bid. Much more culture & history than what people think.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv been close to Mecca not the bingo hall and the food out there is shocking all take away style. The old alcohol issue.

Money talks look at Qatar and what they did. I hope the likes of Romania Greece & Bulgaria make a joint bid. Much more culture & history than what people think.
That would be a cracking line up of host countries.

Therefore it will never happen. Or as long as FIFA are the corrupt institution that they are.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The food at the Mecca bingo hall wasn’t great either. I took my nan there many years ago and had an over cooked chicken nugget and chips with a warm beer

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FIFA is corrupt but there again we’ve known this 30 years since Andrew Jennings proved it beyond doubt, not one major news resource ran with it because?? Well we can only guess, but broadcasting and reporting from fifa world cups must have been a strong theme

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
No-one knows who among us will make it to kick-off 2034.

We can, however, take comfort in the few certainties. Like Harry Maguire lining up in front of Pickford in goal, with Henderson patrolling the midfield.
Sprightly 64 year old Gareth at the wheel

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Am I the only person morbid enough to think, whenever a World Cup is announced, "I wonder if I'll be around for that one?" :confused:
Certainly if I'm around to be interested in the 2034 World Cup I'll be happy to buy a pint or two for anyone posting on this thread. I'll be 90 yrs old and not interested in going anywhere where I can't quaff a pint. Oz would have been great, but the lands of sandcastles, no way!

Last edited:

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No-one knows who among us will make it to kick-off 2034.

We can, however, take comfort in the few certainties. Like Harry Maguire lining up in front of Pickford in goal, with Henderson patrolling the midfield.
I’ll be here absolutely certain of that I’ll only be 73

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how much Australia were paid to pull out of the biding

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dunno why people are up in arms. Qatar did a great job and no doubt Saudi will as well. It is an expensive challenge, many countries can't afford it and that is what put Australia off. It is also why we are now seeing England get hosting at Euros regularly, 3 in 9 tournaments now after 2028

Madmalc

Reaction score
I hope the AI technology has improved enough by then to either give the appearance that there's a crowd of supporters in attendance or they development a way of blocking out views of empty seats, at every match on the TV coverage.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Certainly if I'm around to be interested in the 2034 World Cup I'll be happy to buy a pint or two for anyone posting on this thread. I'll be 90 yrs old and not interested in going anywhere where I can't quaff a pint. Oz would have been great, but the lands of sandcastles, no way!
A selection of games to be played on Christmas Day, I wonder if they will have found away to shoehorn Wolves into playing in it at the same time as the traditional 3pm King William speech?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dunno why people are up in arms. Qatar did a great job and no doubt Saudi will as well. It is an expensive challenge, many countries can't afford it and that is what put Australia off. It is also why we are now seeing England get hosting at Euros regularly, 3 in 9 tournaments now after 2028
Qatar certainly did a great job underpaying migrant workers and then killing thousands of them to deliver the stadia on time and on budget

But yeah dunno what the fuss is all about

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well said Sheik Bin CelebrityWolf.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well, firstly, it’s less about the quality of the event they can hold, and more about the rigging of the bidding process and corruption. Qatar won the right to hold the WC through paying off FIFA officials, at some of whom, were convicted of bribery and corruption. Of course, there is no chain linking the corruption back to the Qatari bidding team, but Bin Hammam was doling out money to win support for Qatar. Then, having won the right to host it, came FIFA’s change in the WC rules which allowed it to be moved to winter, disrupting all the European leagues.

Fast forward to the Saudi bid, and what do we see? FIFA announced a foreshortened bid application process with no warning, and funnily, almost immediately, Saudi have a ready made bid to submit. Then at the same time, FIFA announce that the 2030 WC will involve 6 countries in 3 continents, thereby forcing the 2034 WC to Asia or Oceania. What a coincidence. Then just to make sure all will be fine with the Saudi bid, they amend the bidding rules around existing stadiums so the pre prepared Saudi bid wouldn’t be considered non compliant.

If the blatant corruption and bid rigging is not enough, we can look forward to another winter World Cup, and disrupted football season in 2034. Meanwhile we will have the fun of watching blatant hypocrisy from all manner of pundits and talking heads banging on about human rights and the environment for the next 10 years, then miraculously becoming silent as they enjoy their premium flights to Saudi and lovely AC hotel rooms, pools and studios come 2034.

I honestly have no issue myself with Qatar or Saudi bidding for and hosting the WC. The Qataris did a great job hosting it. But they should win it on merit not with the help of generous back handers and a rigged selection process.

Last edited:

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's not what put Australia off though, is it? It's because they would be joining a one-horse race that they know has already been decided. They can afford to put on a World Cup, but they knew spending money on the bidding process is pointless as they wouldn't have a chance. Saudi already secured over 100 votes before the 'bidding process' ended.

That's the main issue. We can all bleat on, and rightly so, about human rights, but as far as I'm concerned there are lots of things about America that are an absolute disgrace and make me think it's a hell hole that I never wish to return to, but nobody seems bothered about them playing a huge role in 2026.

It's the winning bids on merit which is the biggest issue for me - the idea of FIFA giving tournaments away without a competitive process. Look at how they shoehorned South America into 2030 so they could give Saudi a clear run to 2034. Just shameful.

But when it comes around, just on the football side of things, the recent winter World Cup was actually much better than expected so timing-wise it'll work well.

Reactions: Ian

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope the AI technology has improved enough by then to either give the appearance that there's a crowd of supporters in attendance or they development a way of blocking out views of empty seats, at every match on the TV coverage.
Being tested in the North Bank on 80 minutes against Spurs. :)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or that the “celebrity” in CelebrityWolf is Piers Morgan

Back
Top Bottom