Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Santiago Bueno Signing

Guy dingley

Reaction score
Thought he was pretty solid today. Particularly as the game went on, made some great blocks and clearances. The only slight concern with him doesn’t seem to be blessed with pace.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely grew in to the game last night but I wonder whether that is more to do with the security of playing in the low block that we went to. He looks like your rugged South American defender type so will need games to get used to the league every week.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“His strengths are his understanding and his fantastic positioning,” said boss Gary O’Neil. “He doesn’t get caught square very often, he understands when to drop and when to squeeze, so he’s very intelligent and physically good in the air. So he’s a solid centre-half who took a little while to get used to England and took a little while to get fit."

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

“His strengths are his understanding and his fantastic positioning,” said boss Gary O’Neil. “He doesn’t get caught square very often, he understands when to drop and when to squeeze, so he’s very intelligent and physically good in the air. So he’s a solid centre-half who took a little while to get used to England and took a little while to get fit."
Think that's fair, initially he looked a bit slight to me, but think he's OK physically. So basically he's a smart CH, good in the air, reads the game well, no pace. Basically the same as Dawson, although maybe not such an organiser.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good article, thanks for sharing. He is settling into what we hope he would be when he signed. He’s also at a very good age, and for the price, appears an absolute bargain.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think that's fair, initially he looked a bit slight to me, but think he's OK physically. So basically he's a smart CH, good in the air, reads the game well, no pace. Basically the same as Dawson, although maybe not such an organiser.

I thought he was slow, but he showed a good turn of pace a couple of times against Brentford. Perhaps down to fitness initially?

Great to have these kind of selection dilemmas. Keeps everyone on their toes.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I continue to marvel at the hit rate on transfers in 2023. Nunes for Doyle, Bellegarde, Santi Bueno (also allowed to play 3 at the back), Enso (tbd but he's very young) and change is amazing. Dawson, Lemina, Gomes amazing. Cunha a big swing that actually hit (imo). Dodged financial penalties on the hunch they'd actually be serious, and they appear to be. None of the outgoings have been missed terribly much.

That's not a normal success rate. That's really good, and from a tricky position.

Last edited:

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I continue to marvel at the hit rate on transfers in 2023. Nunes for Doyle, Bellegarde, Santi Bueno (also allowed to play 3 at the back), Enso (tbd bit he's very young) and change is amazing. Dawson, Lemina, Gomes amazing. Cunha a big swing that actually hit (imo). Dodged financial penalties on the hunch they'd actually be serious, and they appear to be. None of the outgoings have been missed terribly much.

That's not a normal success rate. That's really good, and from a tricky position.
Scouting signs are very good for when we can hopefully start making some signings again in the summer.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I continue to marvel at the hit rate on transfers in 2023. Nunes for Doyle, Bellegarde, Santi Bueno (also allowed to play 3 at the back), Enso (tbd but he's very young) and change is amazing. Dawson, Lemina, Gomes amazing. Cunha a big swing that actually hit (imo). Dodged financial penalties on the hunch they'd actually be serious, and they appear to be. None of the outgoings have been missed terribly much.

But people still moan about Guedes and the Mendes influence. Not all transfers come off (even Ferguson had some stinkers at Old Trafford) but we’ve had some great deals since Fosun took over. Far more good than bad.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. And especially noting all this came with us being in a bit of a hole.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. And especially noting all this came with us being in a bit of a hole.
It is these transfers, also it would appear togther with O'Neils coaching that has dragged us to what is now relative respectability.

We are watchable again and I don't dread games like I did for probably 3 seasons.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. And especially noting all this came with us being in a bit of a hole. Brilliant business.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good post, totally agree

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Guedes and Nunes cost us what? £65 million or so 18 months back?

Since then Doyle, Bueno, Dawson, Lemina, Gomes, Bellagarde and Sarabia have prob cost us somewhere around that combined?

You can kind of see why the latter is now the strategy? We were lucky to get a big fee for Nunes, and we’ll be lucky to get anything for Guedes.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Guedes and Nunes cost us what? £65 million or so 18 months back?

Since then Doyle, Bueno, Dawson, Lemina, Gomes, Bellagarde and Sarabia have prob cost us somewhere around that combined?

You can kind of see why the latter is now the strategy? We were lucky to get a big fee for Nunes, and we’ll be lucky to get anything for Guedes.
Just about every club would prefer the latter strategy. It's really unusual to see it work this well.

I also forgot about Traore, who is decent. A push for the fee, maybe.

Don't get me wrong, Guedes and Fabio are huge misses. The club are paying dearly for those misses. If you figure the club have around 110m a year for players (wages and amortized fees) and Fabio costs 80k/w = around 4 m and 35/5= 7m so 11m total....and Guedes similar.... That's like 15% of the budget wasted on players who give the club nothing. With loans the club have recovered like a third of that by getting someone to cover their wages, but still. That hurts.

It could be crippling, in fact. But it hasn't been because of really good work.

Dumbwolf

Reaction score
Does our scouting team just google our players and find others with same names?

Madmalc

Reaction score
Does our scouting team just google our players and find others with same names?
I blame the translators. Having given up on asking locals have you got any players' who are good, to only get rinsed on the asking price, we're now asking have you got any players' who are all right?
So far that changed question is delivering in more ways than one.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good player, seems to have come on leaps and bounds since ipswich.

His difficulty has been that we are a settled side doing well in the league, ultimately though if he gets his head down he will get his chance.

Dawson isn't getting any younger and whilst his experience is vital and he could have a role for a good few years eventually there will be a changing of the guard.

fleck1

Reaction score
Just a case of biding his time, with Dawson, Kilman and Toti playing well he can do no more than he currently is to give GON a nudge. I have no doubt as soon as someone drops off, picks up an injury or a suspension he'll make his mark longer term. Good position to be in keeping them three in their toes

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from the Ipswich game I thought he always looks a tidy player for us. It’s unfortunate he finds himself in a squad with Kilman Dawson and Toti who are all having a good season. Gives us confidence though if injuries are sustained at some point.
I think he has a higher ceiling than Toti, to be honest. Especially so when it comes to his distribution.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Toti does a pretty unique job as a defender, in the Premier League to be honest, never mind Wolves. As we ask him to go up the pitch to man-to-man mark, he can be a left-back at times, and then a normal central defender on occasions.

So, I don't think we should consider dropping him for Bueno as you'd have to change the way you play (not that anyone's advocating that).

But, with Bueno, I'd have no problem bringing him in for Kilman and Dawson, none whatsoever, which is a pretty big compliment as I think both have done well this season. A solid, reliable defender from what we've seen.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Toti does a pretty unique job as a defender, in the Premier League to be honest, never mind Wolves. As we ask him to go up the pitch to man-to-man mark, he can be a left-back at times, and then a normal central defender on occasions.

So, I don't think we should consider dropping him for Bueno as you'd have to change the way you play (not that anyone's advocating that).

But, with Bueno, I'd have no problem bringing him in for Kilman and Dawson, none whatsoever, which is a pretty big compliment as I think both have done well this season. A solid, reliable defender from what we've seen.
I wouldn't change our first choice back 5 unit this season either, but Bueno surely has a higher ceiling than Toti, so I'd be looking for him to compete for a starting role next season come the summer.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had a good game - I wonder if he could be our Rodri?

Back
Top Bottom