Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sandwell Town v Wolves predictions

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iwan Roberts was unplayable that day!

Another season that we should have been promoted automatically, only to lose 5 of the last 10 games.
That season still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We lost 3 games in a week in March after Bully got sent off against Oldham for nothing (even the Oldham player told the ref Bully never touched him) and that killed us off. Then we conceded 2 in injury time in the play off first leg and couldn't overturn it in the second leg

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That season still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We lost 3 games in a week in March after Bully got sent off against Oldham for nothing (even the Oldham player told the ref Bully never touched him) and that killed us off. Then we conceded 2 in injury time in the play off first leg and couldn't overturn it in the second leg

Bloody Dougie Freedman! Scored a hatrick against us in the league that season too.

Hated Palace those couple of seasons. Spanked us in the FA Cup replay the season before, then broke our hearts in the playoffs.

Second only to John McGinlay's Bolton as a mid-90s nemesis.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I feel we’re going to **** it up by getting a man sent off. Want it over now whatever the result.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel we’re going to **** it up by getting a man sent off. Want it over now whatever the result.
Even if we do this team has shown it has the resilience to overcome that. The only game we've lost this season after having a man sent off was against Brighton and that was in the 95th minute when we were already 4-1 down.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Like at Brentford? We played 80 minutes away from home at a premier league club

Reaction score
They are good at home. We are patchy away. Fa Cup can be a leveller. West Ham out already to Bristol City, but we have the better players so 2-0 to the lads.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like a replay to be honest but could live with **** 0 Wolves >0.

I haven't been more nervous at a Wolves game as I was vs Brentford (wanting the BCD) since the FA Cup semi. I'm now bricking it about Sunday. Isn’t this supposed to be fun??

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like this as banter (and it's true, much as they'll complain) but their hard-core support has always been Smethwick, Tipton, Wednesbury, Cradley Heath/Lye area, and the West Brom area. So they are Black Country, like us, it's just that they're massive ****ers.
Their claim that they are Black Country, while telling us we're Staffordshire, is made all the more hilarious by their obvious ignorance that they were Staffordshire at the same time as Wolverhampton was. Twits.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their claim that they are Black Country, while telling us we're Staffordshire, is made all the more hilarious by their obvious ignorance that they were Staffordshire at the same time as Wolverhampton was. Twits.
Reans will have much to say about this, but obviously the historic counties of England predated the industrial revolution, so had nothing to do with emerging cultural geographic groupings. Hence Newcastle being in Northumberland whilst Gateshead (the same town effectively but across the Tyne) was in County Durham. It's the same here, e.g. Dudley was an exclave of Worcestershire I think but obviously had more in common with neighbouring Wednesbury than Great Malvern. They can **** off with their incorrect exclusive Black Country snobbery.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The dream would be to out do the 5-1....I'm fed up of seeing it,

Realistically 0-3 Cunha,Neto, Dawson (really will **** them off)

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On paper, we have a far better starting 11 than Tesco’s.

Unfortunately, football isn’t played on paper and the Cup can be a great leveller.

A hard fought game, but 5-0 to us! :)

wolfie_tc

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't think there's anyone who is that complacent but if we can't be confident in our team for this game then when can we?

I'd feel more confident with any of the other 23 Championship teams, as well as the 9 teams below us in this league.

No matter what the fans are saying, this is absolutely their cup final and are at home, they'll come out fighting against a team that have been quite bad at the start of games, scrap a goal after 6 minutes and successfully defend with 11 men for 84. I'm terrified.

With all the talk, I think this comes down to which team really understands it more. I think that's what failed us in the Nuno year, our player didn't seem to get the gravity of the game as much as them, does the current team get it as much as the baggies do? We'll see..

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From their pre-match thread.....

"In the years since we've been in the PL they've been to the latter stages of a major European competition and had 3/4 of a billion pounds pumped into their team, we shouldn't even be on their radar. It's a bit like bragging you've won a 100m race with a 60m head start - each to their own if that's what makes you happy"

"I agree with everything Dave said. Screw 'em! Even if they win, which they should, they still know we have been well on top for the last 20 years overall."

The excuses are already out in force!! ****ing puddled they are

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
does the current team get it as much as the baggies do? We'll see..
I'd like to think so, I think the only player who may have played in a BCD although I'm not 100 percent sure is Dawson from his time there.

They have a couple of local lads I think the keeper + fellows but the rest of the team have no experience of the derby just the behind closed doors fixtures in covid but I bet there's not to many players left on either side.

If we are at our usual standards or above we will win comfortably.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First goal in this one will be so crucial.

I think they will start quite deep, so it will be difficult to break them down.

Hopefully we will manage to get the first goal with a bit of magic, or from a set piece.

They will then be under pressue to push forward for a equaliser and we will pick them off on the counter, making it quite comfortable in the end.

But if they get the first goal, they'll park the bus and it could end up being very tricky, with us only just managing a late equlaiser as they tire.

If we score first I think we win 3-0.

If they do, I think it's 1-1.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Local derby, them at home - it's not rare for Championship play off contenders to knock mid-table Premier teams out of the cup. And home advantage in an intense local derby like this, it's possibly worth a goal to them.

Trying to detach and see it as a neutral, I think you'd probably go for something like a close win for us, 1-0 or 2-1. But these kind of big local derby's often go off at extreme tangents far removed from any logical result! Curious to see how the ref handles it. We've seen enough matches turn on a dubious decision this season and refs tend to have home bias. Neto and Cunha are going to get scythed down for sure. A lot depends on whether that kind of thing is punished (hopefully harshly) or let go.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Local derby, them at home - it's not rare for Championship play off contenders to knock mid-table Premier teams out of the cup. And home advantage in an intense local derby like this, it's possibly worth a goal to them.

Trying to detach and see it as a neutral, I think you'd probably go for something like a close win for us, 1-0 or 2-1. But these kind of big local derby's often go off at extreme tangents far removed from any logical result! Curious to see how the ref handles it. We've seen enough matches turn on a dubious decision this season and refs tend to have home bias. Neto and Cunha are going to get scythed down for sure. A lot depends on whether that kind of thing is punished (hopefully harshly) or let go.
But that's usually because the mid-table Premier League club isn't taking it seriously and putting out a weakened side, or is on a bad run of form. We will be going full strength and are in good form

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's usually because the mid-table Premier League club isn't taking it seriously and putting out a weakened side, or is on a bad run of form. We will be going full strength and are in good form

True, but they most likely wouldn't put out a weakened side for an intense local derby. We are missing our top goalscorer, which is a huge miss. We don't do things the easy way, whatever the result, that's for sure!

wolfie_tc

Groupie
Reaction score
I'd like to think so, I think the only player who may have played in a BCD although I'm not 100 percent sure is Dawson from his time there.

They have a couple of local lads I think the keeper + fellows but the rest of the team have no experience of the derby just the behind closed doors fixtures in covid but I bet there's not to many players left on either side.

If we are at our usual standards or above we will win comfortably.

I actually don’t think it’s about locality, it’s more to do with understanding the culture, and the experiences they’ve had as players.

For some of ours who have experienced “bigger games” (internationals who have played World Cups, domestic cup finals, el classicos etc), do they fully get it compared to the players on the pitch who have only experienced lower prem/championship football (i.e. their players..), or if it doesn’t compare can they be forgiven for not seeing it much different to playing Ipswich a few months ago.
And I don’t mean that in a bad way, as professionals you should have an element of ‘all games are important’ etc, and you’d love to think they put the same intensity into whoever we play, but we know that can’t and doesn’t happen.

Don’t get me wrong, they’ll be aware of the difference but is it enough to change their mentality over it all? I hope so because we clearly have the quality, if we have the fight it’s ours.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually don’t think it’s about locality, it’s more to do with understanding the culture, and the experiences they’ve had as players.

For some of ours who have experienced “bigger games” (internationals who have played World Cups, domestic cup finals, el classicos etc), do they fully get it compared to the players on the pitch who have only experienced lower prem/championship football (i.e. their players..), or if it doesn’t compare can they be forgiven for not seeing it much different to playing Ipswich a few months ago.
And I don’t mean that in a bad way, as professionals you should have an element of ‘all games are important’ etc, and you’d love to think they put the same intensity into whoever we play, but we know that can’t and doesn’t happen.

Don’t get me wrong, they’ll be aware of the difference but is it enough to change their mentality over it all? I hope so because we clearly have the quality, if we have the fight it’s ours.

Quite often there are hardly any away supporters in El Clásico. The same as Sevilla Betis, or most games in Spain. A Black Country derby has a cutting edge.

A dual between two hungry, poor men, is more intense between two well off people.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From their pre-match thread.....

"In the years since we've been in the PL they've been to the latter stages of a major European competition and had 3/4 of a billion pounds pumped into their team, we shouldn't even be on their radar. It's a bit like bragging you've won a 100m race with a 60m head start - each to their own if that's what makes you happy"

"I agree with everything Dave said. Screw 'em! Even if they win, which they should, they still know we have been well on top for the last 20 years overall."

The excuses are already out in force!! ****ing puddled they are
By their own thick logic

They were in the prem for 4 more years than us so should be light years ahead!

They think we’ve spent three quarters of a billion?? That there sums up the intelligence of the Albion. Thick as mince

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think having an English manager also helps us. GON will be at the players telling them how important the derby is to us fans.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Corberan is no fool - his Huddersfield team was far better than the sum of its parts. I'd like to see us take the game to them much as we did at home to Everton, Spurs etc as I think we should be able to handle their counter-attacks.
Players have got to keep their heads (I'm thinking of you, Cunha, Neto, Sarabia).

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By their own thick logic

They were in the prem for 4 more years than us so should be light years ahead!

They think we’ve spent three quarters of a billion?? That there sums up the intelligence of the Albion. Thick as mince

It's hilarious logic, because also according to them, we are so far ahead they shouldn't even be on our radar, but also they've been "well on top" over us for "20 years overall". o_O:eek:o_O

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’re better than them but seeing as that has never made a blind bit of difference in this godforsaken derby game I’m absolutely bricking it.

All logic says we should win; however I’m that used to disappointment against them I can’t see anything other than us making a complete *********** if it.

Albion 3 Wolves 1.

I spend the next couple of weeks sticking my v’s up at every Tesco I see…….. and it doesn’t make me feel any better.

Back
Top Bottom