Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sammy Szmodics

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember him at Colchester always had something about him. George Moncur was another they had at the time. Decent players for that team. As for Sammy Szmodics he is only 28 he still has a few years ahead of him. Wouldn’t be against signing him. Knows where the net is. Wouldn’t break the bank. Knows Doc with the Irish link. His role is attacking midfield. Has captained blackburn a few games this season. I think few clubs maybe looking at him.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There are plenty of players playing in the Championship I would be quite pleased if we this year, Szmodics being one.

.Archie Gray, Jobe Bellingham, Jonathan Rowe, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Callum Doyle, Jaden Philogene, Jack Clarke.

Get 3 or 4 of them for the Neto money and our squad looks much stronger.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are plenty of players playing in the Championship I would be quite pleased if we this year, Szmodics being one.

.Archie Gray, Jobe Bellingham, Jonathan Rowe, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Callum Doyle, Jaden Philogene, Jack Clarke.

The lad who assisted Szmodics, Tyrhys Dolan is also out of contract in the summer. Many bargains available from the championship this year we feel. Hopefully gaz and hobbs take some well thought risks on them

Stats for Tyrhys Dolan age 22

33 games
5 goals
4 assists

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Have seen Jobe B play. Didn't think that much of him to be honest

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No, as good as he's been this season he's very much not good enough for the PL.

More Adam Armstrong, top end championship but not good enough to make the step up and at 28 no resale value.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Philogene has looked top notch every time I've seen him... which is only 2 or 3 times, but still. Very impressive

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, as good as he's been this season he's very much not good enough for the PL.

More Adam Armstrong, top end championship but not good enough to make the step up and at 28 no resale value.
How do you know he isn't good enough if he hasn't played in the Prem before?

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How do you know he isn't good enough if he hasn't played in the Prem before?
I don't but my eyes tell me this is the case having seen him play.

History also tells us players like him (small, quick but not super fast or athletic) don't really make it at the top level.

I might well be wrong but would you rather take the chance on a proven centre forward at top level, physical and technical potential or a 28yr old 5'6" player who has had 1 good season at the second level of English football?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Szmodics, bzozdics. I don't believe a person with this name really exists. I think it a figment of the Mixes imagination. If such a player really exists it would be as daft as him playing alongside someone called Szoboslai; I mean how bonkers is that!?

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great finisher. Wonder if he could step up to be a striker in the old gold of Wolverhampton Wanderers
Already out of our price range unfortunately

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have had my doubts about how good Championship players are and if they are good enough for the Premier League. After watching Adam Wharton for Palace and Morgan Roger’s for Villa today, those doubts have gone. They were both excellent. There are gems in that division and those 2 are proving it.

Jarrod Bowen at West Ham has made the step up and is an England international. Olise and Eze at Palace are great players imo and joined from Reading and QPR. Gyokeres is ripping it up at Sporting in Portugal after moving from Coventry and there were rumours we were after him last season. He’s got a massive release clause in his contract after just one season.

Sammy Szmodics could be the next new kid on the block from the Championship and he plays in a position we obviously need to strengthen. Why not?

Last edited:

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have had my doubts about how good Championship players are and if they are good enough for the Premier League. After watching Adam Wharton for Palace and Morgan Roger’s for Villa today, those doubts have gone. They were both excellent. There are gems in that division and those 2 are proving it.

Jarrod Bowen at West Ham has made the step up and is an England international. Olise and Eze at Palace are great players imo and joined from Reading and QPR. Gyokeres is ripping it up at Sporting in Portugal after moving from Coventry and there were rumours we were after him last season. He’s got a massive release clause in his contract after just one season.

Sammy Szmodics could be the next new kid on the block from the Championship and he plays in a position we obviously need to strengthen. Why not?
Absolutely agree that the Championship has been a much overlooked source of quality / often affordable players since we got promoted. Ollie Watkins moved from Brentford to Villa in the same summer we signed Silva !!!

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope we do go for hungry Championship players, although worry they will be more expensive than we think. Should Norwich stay down, what about Josh Sargent?

I just hope and prey Shi backs O’Neil with a decent transfer budget to bolster the squad with decent, hungry, players.

SellyWolf

Reaction score
Morgan Whittaker at Plymouth will attract attention from several premier league clubs in our ‘bracket’.

19 goals and 8 assists in a Plymouth side who are in a relegation battle is a pretty good return + he’s only 23. They rejected bids of around 10-15m in the January (from Lazio I think).

15m plus Luke Cundle, who had a very good loan spell there might peak some interest…

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder sometimes why we keep going for small players?

We were bullied by a big physical Coventry side and by Crystal Palace. If you look at Man City they are a big physical mature side.

Yes there are exceptions like Gomez, but I do think we need more beef in the team.
Excellent point . The times we walk out and the height disparity is obvious. Then the first thing we do is play a high ball! I would love a couple of giants to cause havoc at set pieces and help us defend them too.

Clipboard

Reaction score

Ollie Watkins as well...

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

History also tells us players like him (small, quick but not super fast or athletic) don't really make it at the top level.

I might well be wrong but would you rather take the chance on a proven centre forward at top level, physical and technical potential or a 28yr old 5'6" player who has had 1 good season at the second level of English football?
Whilst i agree with your assessment. Getting a proven top centre forward at this level costs an absolute bomb. Jiminez and Cunha were gambles based on their playing records to date. We are only ever going to be able to make that kind of signing.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope we do go for hungry Championship players, although worry they will be more expensive than we think. Should Norwich stay down, what about Josh Sargent?

I just hope and prey Shi backs O’Neil with a decent transfer budget to bolster the squad with decent, hungry, players.
Josh Sargent is scoring goals for Norwich, but he was awful when they were in the Premier League.

Every man and his dog have said that we need to increase our miniscule squad and Shi himself has sympathised with the problem GON has.

Jeff Shi must back GON in the summer.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whilst i agree with your assessment. Getting a proven top centre forward at this level costs an absolute bomb. Jiminez and Cunha were gambles based on their playing records to date. We are only ever going to be able to make that kind of signing.
Indeed, I'd like us to go for David Fofana on loan and then somehow find a deal where we swap Guedes for Brereton-Diaz.

Would give us options as both players can play as actual strikers and also in the wide inside forward slot if needs be.

Not inspirational signings but the kind of solid players that GoN could work with. And certainly better than rubbish like Che Adams.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

He's 28, all those you've mentioned were 21 or younger when they moved.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's 28, all those you've mentioned were 21 or younger when they moved.
I suppose he's not gonna be the young and hungry type we are supposedly going to be after, then!

It would be taking a chance, I suppose, IF we signed him and it didn't work out there would not be much resale value because of his age.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose he's not gonna be the young and hungry type we are supposedly going to be after, then!

It would be taking a chance, I suppose, IF we signed him and it didn't work out there would not be much resale value because of his age.
I can’t see many clubs paying over 6-8m for him cheap risk for many. He’s an attacking midfielder not a forward. Do we play with an attacking midfielder to warrant the move ?????

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Philogene is the one. would be a great replacement for Pedro if he leaves. He's tall, quite strong and dribbling is top notch. Might cost quite a bit though.
Think Villa have first option to sign him.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Szmodics, bzozdics. I don't believe a person with this name really exists. I think it a figment of the Mixes imagination. If such a player really exists it would be as daft as him playing alongside someone called Szoboslai; I mean how bonkers is that!?
NorthNorfolWolf, NorthNor****Wolf.
I can't believe that a poster with that name exists.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got an attacking midfielder in Lemina Junior, so we don't need Smod but Morgan Whittaker seems to be ace so sign him up to get two options for every position, which is what the club needs to progress.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got an attacking midfielder in Lemina Junior, so we don't need Smod but Morgan Whittaker seems to be ace so sign him up to get two options for every position, which is what the club needs to progress.
He’s turd just ask SBK

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You've described Kevin Phillips there.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan Whittaker at Plymouth will attract attention from several premier league clubs in our ‘bracket’.

19 goals and 8 assists in a Plymouth side who are in a relegation battle is a pretty good return + he’s only 23. They rejected bids of around 10-15m in the January (from Lazio I think).

15m plus Luke Cundle, who had a very good loan spell there might peak some interest…
Whittaker looks terrible from what I’ve seen

Back
Top Bottom