Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sako

D

Deleted member 3573J

That's one disadvantage from going from mainly average Championship players to Champions League players in just a couple of seasons, some perhaps don't appreciate how good some of the players were just a short time ago. Sako was superb, you couldn't ask for any more to be honest, a goal every 3 games, as many assists, right up there with the best wingers we've had in my lifetime.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wish him well, but was he really as good as everyone says, or was he just better than the mediocre bunch players we had at the time.

He was erratic and inconsistent, he could beat a man 10 times then his cross would end up high in the opposite stand. On occasions he would play well, but i think his career after wolves shows what he was.
Unfair. He started well at Palace and then had a serious injury. He was never the same player after that.

Z

Zubar23

How many would Costa or Cav scored in that team?

A lot less than Sako, probably. All 3 of them played 2 championship seasons for Wolves, Sako scored 24, Costa 15 and Cav 14 in a similar number of games. Costa and Cav played in a title winning team and scored less goals than Sako did when we got relegated. I don't get the obsession with criticising past players, the guy was brilliant for us

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot less than Sako, probably. All 3 of them played 2 championship seasons for Wolves, Sako scored 24, Costa 15 and Cav 14 in a similar number of games. Costa and Cav played in a title winning team and scored less goals than Sako did when we got relegated. I don't get the obsession with criticising past players, the guy was brilliant for us
Ok, its all opinions. I wasn't trying to criticise him either. I just don't understand the hero worshipping.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Ok, its all opinions. I wasn't trying to criticise him either. I just don't understand the hero worshipping.
Call him a folk-hero Pagey - although Sako will never win World Player of the Year he made a real connection with the crowd, just like Big George, Mo Camara, Vio Ganea & many more I've seen over the last 50 odd years unlike many that have come & gone who may have been much better players but somehow never clicked with the paying punters (no I'm not going to get slated for starting a list!)

Last edited:

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well this thread has gone off, only resurrected it for a laugh! Bring on the start of the season

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
He was a great player. It was almost embarrassing having him in League One with us playing the likes of Tranmere whose entire squad budget was less than his wages. Good memories- shame he signed for the ****e.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still love him, the last game he played for us brought me to tears knowing that I'd never see him, Dicko and Afobe play together again. Obviously we are far superior now, but at the time the half season those three had together was some of the most thrilling and enjoyable football I'd ever seen at the Mol

D

Deleted member 3573J

Still love him, the last game he played for us brought me to tears knowing that I'd never see him, Dicko and Afobe play together again. Obviously we are far superior now, but at the time the half season those three had together was some of the most thrilling and enjoyable football I'd ever seen at the Mol

Those 3 were brilliant for that half a season, I'd say it was a shame that Ken didn't go for it towards the end to get a play off spot but if we'd have gone up then we wouldn't have been bought by Fosun. We'd have had another 5 years minimum of Steve Morgan, his little beetroot face would have lit up at the thought of another few years of parachute payments.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh fair enough, if there was actually hero worship. I won't speak for others, but for me he was not a hero, and I didn't worship him. Such strong words.
But I respect him as a player who didn't let us down for his term of contract with us, and provided us with various happy moments. He was as good as we could have at that level and with the kitty available.

But I guess in a world of black and white, it's either denigration or hero worship.

Come on pagey, mate, I know you're better than that. I'm positive in fact.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh fair enough, if there was actually hero worship. I won't speak for others, but for me he was not a hero, and I didn't worship him. Such strong words.
But I respect him as a player who didn't let us down for his term of contract with us, and provided us with various happy moments. He was as good as we could have at that level and with the kitty available.

But I guess in a world of black and white, it's either denigration or hero worship.

Come on pagey, mate, I know you're better than that. I'm positive in fact.
Fair comments, sorry all if ive been a **** the last few days, had a tricky week.

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, memories;
When you look at his goals in that video most of the goals look like goalkeeping errors or bad defending. In reality I think he was so different to anything else in the division at the time that teams didn't know how to defend against him or know when he was going to shoot.

Players like that are special and so valuable.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair comments, sorry all if ive been a **** the last few days, had a tricky week.
Sorry to hear. Hope things improve and you can get to enjoy the football with peace of mind.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just remembering hearing 'Dicko, Afobe Sako... magic you knowwwwwwww' warms the ****les of my heart.

I know it was scored by Edwards, but the climax to THAT Leeds game was something else, with those three largely responsible for our being in a position to almost sneak into the playoffs.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will always have fond memories of Bakary, a very good, honest pro.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It used to be the Yaya/Kolo Toure chant for Sako and Dicko, loved that, then when we added Afobe everything became magic, good times however brief

Back
Top Bottom