Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Saiss rumour

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Morocan website has said Athletico Madrid will be in for Saiss in the summer, plus he was offered to quadruple his wages by a Saudi club in Jan. That will still be on offer in the summer.

Saiss has shown he is more than capable as back up to both midfield and defence, so I'm not advocating we sell. Having said that though what do people think his value would be if sold to AM?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Atletico Madrid, rather like Spuds, always want to pay peanuts and charge top-dollar. I am surprised that they supposedly want Saiss, but if we are prepared to let him go (I personally would prefer that we didn't, but any idea when his contract is up?) perhaps some sort of swap deal (or setting him off against a bigger fee) is the way to go. Dependant on how our payments for Jonny are structured it might be possible to do exactly that against his transfer fee.

D

Deleted member 5910

He's contracted until 2020, so we could fetch decent but not spectacular money for him. He's flexible, able to slot into midfield or defence, and is an established international. OTOH, he is pushing 29. I think in the current climate, and considering we signed him for around £3.5m, I would accept an offer in the region of £6m-8m, and put that towards the amortisation of a much larger outgoing transfer fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3751

Was this a hush hush rumour? Hence his celebration vs West Ham?!

I love Saiss as a player and love how he comes across - totally bonkers! He's a good guy to have around the place but I'd guess if we can get £7m-£8m for a squad player approaching 30 then it's good business. Someone pretty decent would have to come in in his stead though

Adi dassler

Groupie
Reaction score
If we replace him with somebody better then let him go imo. Who wouldn't want to play in Madrid? Great servant for us but onwards and upwards

Plymouth Wolf

Reaction score
I would like him to stay. Adaptable and passionate but will he be happy to stay if he's not a regular first team starter? I'm thinking not and if that is the case £6m is about right in my opinion

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All sentiment aside, are we going to offer a soon to be 29, squad player a new long-term contract?

Probably not.

In which case, he will only have a year left on his contract this summer and will probably be sold for between £5m and £8m.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he a decent squad player that does a reliable job when he comes in. I do find him a tad slow for this league and extremely one footed, but he makes up for this with commitment and hard graft. I would be happy to see him stay, but I don't see him as a regular starter, and I don't think he irreplaceable if he leaves.

That's not meant to sound as harsh as it has come across.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no axe to grind with him personally, but if we're honest, he's probably one of the lowest value members of the match-day squad in terms of what he can being to the table. Seems a sensible place to upgrade to me.

From comments above...limited, but a hard grafter. Under what regimes have we heard that kind of talk before?
Definitely where I would be looking to upgrade to someone capable of being a 1st XI regular.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends if AM are interested and how much. He’s pushing 30 and one of the players we can upgrade on. As much as I think he’s a good player a bid between 5 and 10m would surely see him gone ?

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need more players like Saiss to flesh out the squad a bit, didn't cost a fortune and can step in and do a job when needed, I'd be gutted if he left

I agree we have room in the squad for more players anyway, so shouldn't be getting rid of quality backup like Saiss

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great bloke to have on the bench, as he can do an OK job in two positions, but apart from suspensions quite rightly he's been nowhere near the team, 4th choice central defender and 4th or 5th choice central midfielder.

As I say a good squad member, but if we can replace him with better then so be it.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I think we are now moving into the realms of replacing/upgrading certain players as we see fit rather than running down contracts and players not having re-saleable value.
Saiss has been good and has improved but the question is is whether he is good enough to hold down a regular place as we push on ?Yes he is versatile and yes he can do a decent job but I feel we will look for an upgrade notwithstanding he may well want regular first team football.Time will tell.

D

Deleted member 4184

I'd sell him. Solid player but one of the first players to replace. And I always sell him on FM

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always rated Saiss,never understood the views of Spiers and some on here that hes not good enough
Much better in MF than in a back 3,so hes going to have limited game time now Donk has pushed through though,so maybe time to move on if the price is right,personally i wouldn't take less than £8 million for him,and a good upgrade

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst he doesn't sound like your typical Atletico Madrid player, I wonder whether a reasonably priced Saiss may have been part of sweetener in convincing them to let Jonny come to us?

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it's up to Saiss .
He suffered here under the early poor management of Zenga and Lambert. - Poor chap.

I would be very sorry to see him go, but happy for him to choose.

I like him and he's done our club proud.

How is it up to Saiss? He's under contract, it's up to the club, although given the fact that two players were bought in, in the summer in his position and Nuno has hardly played him, don't think the club would be too bothered, probably need another centre half though before we sell, given that all the reserves Hause, Iorfa, EEL are in the departure lounge.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is it up to Saiss? He's under contract, it's up to the club, although given the fact that two players were bought in, in the summer in his position and Nuno has hardly played him, don't think the club would be too bothered, probably need another centre half though before we sell, given that all the reserves Hause, Iorfa, EEL are in the departure lounge.
Because to get the best out of your squad and each individual you don't treat then as chattel.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Reasonable squad player for us in the PL....not going to be a regular ever though. His lack of pace is the biggest problem.

Has been quality and served us well, if we can cash in we should do. Problem is who comes in better to take his position as a squad option and at what price. :)...

Very unlikely AM actually want him...if they do it can be only to cover as a filler again.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we do succeed in getting into Europa League we're going to need a bigger squad. I rate Saiss and see little point in getting rid when a replacement would probably cost more and there are other positions which need more urgent improvement.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss staying I think depends on how high we raise the bar this summer and how many we bring in. We saw with Douglas and afobe Nuno is ruthless when need be but he still could be a decent squad player next year.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have no axe to grind with him personally, but if we're honest, he's probably one of the lowest value members of the match-day squad in terms of what he can being to the table. Seems a sensible place to upgrade to me.

From comments above...limited, but a hard grafter. Under what regimes have we heard that kind of talk before?
Definitely where I would be looking to upgrade to someone capable of being a 1st XI regular.

Have to completely disagree with you on that, the only player we've got who can slot into that 3 man midfield properly (MWG I don't think can play the deeper role), can and has covered at CB as well. Midfield isn't an area I think we need to invest next year with Neves, Donck and Moutinho there so why sell him and get just another back-up player in. I think 20/21 is the year we will look for another first team player in that position, not the summer.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No room for sentiment in this game, we have to keep moving forwards otherwise we will stagnate or worse, go backwards.

Sell for the right place and bring in a quality player, hopefully we will emulate Man City (within our finances) and have quality for each position and in depth.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to completely disagree with you on that, the only player we've got who can slot into that 3 man midfield properly (MWG I don't think can play the deeper role), can and has covered at CB as well. Midfield isn't an area I think we need to invest next year with Neves, Donck and Moutinho there so why sell him and get just another back-up player in. I think 20/21 is the year we will look for another first team player in that position, not the summer.

You're probably right, but my point was that he is easiest of our match day squad to upgrade on.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do succeed in getting into Europa League we're going to need a bigger squad. I rate Saiss and see little point in getting rid when a replacement would probably cost more and there are other positions which need more urgent improvement.

That for me. Squad is bare bones.
If we can keep him happy with current level of game time, makes no sense to let him go if can avoid it.
Can’t see him getting more game time at Atletico

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No room for sentiment in this game, we have to keep moving forwards otherwise we will stagnate or worse, go backwards.

Sell for the right place and bring in a quality player, hopefully we will emulate Man City (within our finances) and have quality for each position and in depth.

This does miss the point a bit. We've got a ridiculously small squad. It definitely needs more bodies in it and Saiss has proved capable. Let's say we sell him for 8, that's not a lot to find a replacement for. A replacement might not work either. Saiss knows how we play and can be relied upon.

I don't for a second think we'd get an offer like this, but for me it has to be over 10m before we listen

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we want to feature in more competitions we will need a bigger squad , Saiss is being kept out of the starting lineup by some very good players but looks very comfortable at this level.

W

we8wba

Love Saiss but very much same Douglas as mentioned

With contract winding down and his age were not going to offer medium to long term contract when we’re looking to progress

Would imagine he is sacrificed

lyechris

Groupie
Reaction score
Great squad player but if you're going to narrow the gap from 7th to 6th we need to sell the fringe players, and use the wriggle room with that transfer income to invest greater funds in a manner compliant with fair play practice.
It pains me to say but I can see others I enjoy making way this summer for new arrivals, that pain won't last as new arrivals propel us towards Europe. I was gutted when Barry was sold, I got over it!!
Utw!

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Saiss is a Wolf. Would like him to stay as a squad player but if he was the difference in us managing FFP on a slice of Joao Felix then I'd be happy seeing him move on!

Back
Top Bottom