Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any ideas which Yanks?

Knowing our luck it'd be someone who owns a ****ty little franchise over there instead of an NFL owner or a NBA owner
Could it be the peak6 lot? They did buy a minority in the club not long ago so with Covid could maybe be the first time shown round Compton?

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Could it be the peak6 lot? They did buy a minority in the club not long ago so with Covid could maybe be the first time shown round Compton?

Ah I was just wondering it could be this? Or potentially more investors?

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps it was the Wasserman Agency as they are from LA, they represent Donk and Kilman.

They also represent Grimaldo who is set to leave Benfica this summer for £7-10mil as well as Weston McKennie who a few weeks back it was reported (not sure how reliable the source was though) that Juve were looking to move on and replace with Donk.

Maybe it was them and we are pushing for Grimaldo and a McKennie/Donk trade.

Most likely that Mr Miami guy though *sigh*

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I believe he's (Coady) mobile enough to play a more traditional sweeper than the rigid position he made his own for four years under Nuno.

An orthodox sweeper moves freely from behind the defence in to midfield and back again. Coady is smart enough and good enough to do that.

We all know Neves and Moutinho are flexible enough to play in that system and I think we all agree another midfielder would augment the team further.

A more mobile sweeper largely provides a passive contribution in regards to positioning when the team has the ball and is attacking.

This should provide the midfield to play further up the pitch in a more active sense supporting the attack.

Without the ball, the midfield drops deeper and when in position allows the sweeper to support the defence. It's all about positioning and covering space.
Coady has absolutely no mobility for a Premier league player. You're essentially asking for him to be a midfielder who drops into back 2 occasionally.

He needs to play deep and be protected, his lack of pace is something joked about by his teammates and he himself has said he can't play in the midfield as it is too quick for him.

I also don't think Moutinho and Neves could provide anywhere near the protection required.

We actually moved our defensive line up the pitch a fair bit this year and get opened up repeatedly.

Sounds like an absolute disaster tbh. Coady great strengths are long range passing, reading a game from deep abs leading/organising a team.

Can't actually believe I am reading Coady and mobility in same sentence

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady has absolutely no mobility for a Premier league player. You're essentially asking for him to be a midfielder who drops into back 2 occasionally.

He needs to play deep and be protected, his lack of pace is something joked about by his teammates and he himself has said he can't play in the midfield as it is too quick for him.

I also don't think Moutinho and Neves could provide anywhere near the protection required.

We actually moved our defensive line up the pitch a fair bit this year and get opened up repeatedly.

Sounds like an absolute disaster tbh. Coady great strengths are long range passing, reading a game from deep abs leading/organising a team.

Pace is required for this role, it's all about positional sense which Coady has in abundance, it's why Coady is rated so highly as a defender...

Neves and Moutinho wouldn't work, I agree. It's where a new signing would be nice. Moutinho is adequate cover...

Coady, Neves and Moutinho however all have the speed of thought in the positional sense though. Coady and a MF 2 would have to press and retreat in unison as would a CB pairing in order to squeeze the MF when attacking and retreat to combat the counter attack when it arises.

Baresi (yeah I know) was never lightening quick, in fact at the end of his career he was slow but he was still the World's best sweeper. No one is suggesting Coady needs to be a Beckenbauer, that's way beyond him, but he can read the game, tackle, block, find a pass and organize.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pace is required for this role, it's all about positional sense which Coady has in abundance, it's why Coady is rated so highly as a defender...

Neves and Moutinho wouldn't work, I agree. It's where a new signing would be nice. Moutinho is adequate cover...

Coady, Neves and Moutinho however all have the speed of thought in the positional sense though. Coady and a MF 2 would have to press and retreat in unison as would a CB pairing in order to squeeze the MF when attacking and retreat to combat the counter attack when it arises.

Baresi (yeah I know) was never lightening quick, in fact at the end of his career he was slow but he was still the World's best sweeper. No one is suggesting Coady needs to be a Beckenbauer, that's way beyond him, but he can read the game, tackle, block, find a pass and organize.

They do need to be able to read the game but also need to be agressive when needed too and that's not what we have seen from Coady. Players we have seen do that role in the prem are Fabinho, Rodri, Rice, Philips, Jorginho, Fernandinho, McTominay, Party and Xhaha, etc all of them are either miles better on the ball, much better defensively 1v1 or both.

Is Coady even that good positionally. Not hard to read the game when you're the deepest outfield player in the middle of the defense that rarely engages. The play will naturally go towards him.

Coady is as close to being a Beckenbauer as Hwang is to being CR7.

Also, playing a double pivot with Neves and Moutinho as the 8s would lead them to be playing further wide defensively and give them more responsibility to be box to box and cover wider areas. Not something you particularly want. Just hindering Neves more to get Coady into the team

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My memory is that there were several times when Coady protected the other defenders by running back and making goal line clearances.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would also like to see us mix things up by allowing Kilman (and/or Boly if up to it, he did a couple of seasons ago) come out from the back with ball and play forward.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pub.
With a premature Shanghai recall looking more and more likely Jeff Shi’s daughters won’t be going to Oxbridge. Very sad.

(This is written in trap 3 in the gender neutral bogs)

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pub.
With a premature Shanghai recall looking more and more likely Jeff Shi’s daughters won’t be going to Oxbridge. Very sad.

(This is written in trap 3 in the gender neutral bogs)
They’ll still welcome her it’ll cost Jeff more though so she’ll be more attractive to Oxford. Probably use the loan fee for Sanderson to pay for some of it :)

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Neves, Moutinho and Coady a midfield 3. The mind boggles.

What he does at the moment is read the game, tackle, block and organise and we tried a much higher line this year btw.

Our glacial midfield and the slower Coady pressing in unison. Would not work at all imo

Honestly you're describing what he does now, just him pressing more. Sounds unfathomably bad

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

My memory is that there were several times when Coady protected the other defenders by running back and making goal line clearances.
Yeah, he reads the game well and times blocks/tackles excellently

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Betty Barmaid told me Everton, Leeds, Palace, S'ton & Forest are all keen on MGW. If I was gambling my Stella ££, would place more than a few pints on him departing HMS Molineux anytime soon.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re Yanks, I heard this from a good guy. Apparently it's about a potential influx of cash but NOT a sale.

I didn't know they had a tour but two people (one of whom knows his onions) told me there was potential new investment.

I subsequently heard it's now seen as a long shot: US/China relations given as one reason.

Best
Heron

Last edited:

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
Re Yanks, I heard this from a good guy. Apparently it's about a potential influx of cash but NOT a sale.

I didn't know they had a call but two people (one of whom knows his onions) told me there was potential new investment.

I subsequently heard it's now seen as a long shot: US/China relations given as one reason.

Best
Heron
The influx of cash from this route is a straw I’m clutching to justify our lack of transfer activity to date, and if it happens we see some “madness”.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know and I don't think Coady can do that role higher up the pitch. He needs to be able to see the whole pitch or he gets lost.

It's a role the Xabi Alonso and Sergio Busquets role. Think it's perfect for Neves who wants to sit deeper in space and control a game from there.
Completely agree. You either need excellent positional sense (Fernandinho, Busquets, Guardiola when he was playing), good enough acceleration to close down play and cover ground quickly (Kessie) or a balance of the two as well as excellent passing range and vision.

Neves is the only player in our squad who has anything close to the required attributes to do the role well, but Neves has the attributes to play well wherever he's positioned in the midfield.

Coady on the other hand is just about passable at the back, when he has the whole game in front of him (in the same way as Mark Atkins used to be, albeit far better) but struggles with players running at him at pace (although he has learned to mitigate the threat of this a little better over time).

I do genuinely fear for him and us if he's in any system other the current one, which plays completely to his strengths and limits exposure to his weaknesses. As much as I'm sure his voice in the dressing room is useful, there will have to be a time when we move on from the Coady team if we are looking to improve, just the same as we did Danny Batth.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was dreadful for most of the season and our weakest defender. Even looking at the numbers it's poor.

Only good at blocking shots, not getting dribbled past and making no clear errors. But could that be down to his general cautious and passive defending. Can't get dribbled past if you drop too deep and give up too much space. View attachment 28727
Personally I think it's more important to not get beaten and be there to get blocks in as a centre back than sticking your foot in all the time.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really a rumor but it beats talking about whether Coady can play as a striker:

I’ve been looking at all of the training photos and have yet to see Adama, MGW or Neves with their player number on their training tops. Everyone else seems to have one.

I also noticed that Jordao has a P number, which is normally reserved for the U23s.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really a rumor but it beats talking about whether Coady can play as a striker:

I’ve been looking at all of the training photos and have yet to see Adama, MGW or Neves with their player number on their training tops. Everyone else seems to have one.

I also noticed that Jordao has a P number, which is normally reserved for the U23s.
reading to much into thus neither did jimenez or silva or coady, some won't have agreed numbers some might be because its not been all done.

who knows maybe your right

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
reading to much into thus neither did jimenez or silva or coady, some won't have agreed numbers some might be because its not been all done.

who knows maybe your right
Potentially but Jimenez has since received his number (link below). Coady just came back today. Adama, MGW and Neves have been back since Monday.

kiddywolves26

Reaction score

Adamas shorts have 37 on them though if that helps you feel any better

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think it's more important to not get beaten and be there to get blocks in as a centre back than sticking your foot in all the time.

Issue is he can sit too far off and cost us goals too. 1v1 he's a nightmare for us. Can give them way to much as space as he drops too far scared he'll be done for pace. It's all good reading the game but you need to step up and make plays when you can.

Sussex_Wolf

Reaction score
Neves and MGW no. But this one was posted on the club's Twitter page earlier today with 37 on Adamas shorts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-06-21-42-31-77_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-06-21-42-31-77_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 82

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it just me, but is everyone else coming to this thread for transfer rumours more than the supposedly serious "official" whatever its called thread?
Nope same here. The other thread is full of drivel repeated on a daily basis by the same people, I swear some are on commission

At least here you get some fun rumours about people being shown around and whatnot

Back
Top Bottom