Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agreed with @freezin and nothing has changed. I still agree with @freezin because he's a handsome, charismatic chap.

This thread is still crap, but it's now crap for different reasons.

Where have the friends of the bar room ITKs gone?
Where has the fun gone?
Re your first para, you somehow missed out modest..... lol

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th, 7th, 13th, 10th, in one of the toughest leagues in the world; an FA Cup semi-final and a Europa League cup run to the 1/4 final, compared the previous 40 years of largely huge disappointment including a double relegation doesn’t scream “no respect for the fans and no ambition” to me.

Well just look at what you have posted.7th 7th.FA Cup.And Europa league 1/4 Final...THEN.........13th 10th. NO FA CUP AND NO EUROPE.Dow look like progress to me.It's called gewin backwards.:mad:

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well said.

The Championship (and a couple in Div 1) is full of clubs our size who would give anything to be where we are now. Enjoy

Make hay while the sun is shining, we've gone through a period where several of the "top clubs" have faltered and European football has been within genuine reach. We're approaching a period where it's feasible they get their acts together (clowns like Ole and Lampard aren't stinking up the hot seats at big clubs), and where clubs are having money pumped into them.

With light investment it's feasible that we would've hit European football last season and during Nunos second PL season, making us a much more attractive prospect.

"Sustainable clubs" go one way. Burnley, Wigan, etc. If we go the same way are you happy that we threw a 2 goal lead at Wembley or that we played for penalties Vs Sevilla?

It's hardly a golden era for us.

LetTheBullLoose

Reaction score
Make hay while the sun is shining, we've gone through a period where several of the "top clubs" have faltered and European football has been within genuine reach. We're approaching a period where it's feasible they get their acts together (clowns like Ole and Lampard aren't stinking up the hot seats at big clubs), and where clubs are having money pumped into them.

With light investment it's feasible that we would've hit European football last season and during Nunos second PL season, making us a much more attractive prospect.

"Sustainable clubs" go one way. Burnley, Wigan, etc. If we go the same way are you happy that we threw a 2 goal lead at Wembley or that we played for penalties Vs Sevilla?

Oh FFS give it a rest. You’ve made your point. Repeatedly.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Erm…it is though. While everything you said before that is true, the glass ceiling had more apparent cracks in it than seemed possible for decades, so that can be counted as a missed opportunity…top flight consolidation is indeed a ‘golden era’, and no, that’s not entirely a product of low expectations.

I wasn’t born when we last won the lowliest major trophy. We haven’t finished in the top half of the top flight in nearly half a century bar the Fosun era. In that time the game became ever more stratified, we were left for dust.
But now somehow we’ve crept up to be also-rans. That’s a generally negative term, but if the previous best was cannon fodder/whipping boys, then that’s a significant improvement.

It is possible to both be a little frustrated that further progress seemed so close and was ‘wasted’, by owners not willing to pump their money in to chase something special; and that the same owners have invested plenty of their cash, and already delivered much that is comparatively ‘special’.

No one can truly deny that opportunity wasn’t there in principle, so ‘shut up and be grateful we were in league 1’ isn’t entirely valid in isolation.
But then neither is ‘no ambishun, sell up Fosun cos you won’t splash the cash’. We can’t force them to throw outside funds at the club, and in all honesty, what they have invested so far has made the team infinitely better, and delivered the best finishes in just shy of 50 years.

As to sustainable clubs going one way, you’re mostly right. They do tend to slide slowly in most cases. How do you explain the last 10 years of Tottenham though?
Or indeed, the trajectories of a number of definitely not sustainable clubs, in the boom and bust category?
I’m rambling, had enough, there was more but can’t be ***** to organise thoughts.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Further to earlier ramble, there is of course that other matter to consider, as in Fosun and the CCP.

Let’s just say, that Guo gets bored and wants to join the premier league billionaire’s dick-swinging contest. Sanctions spending a la Everton, stretching FFP to the limit and blatantly fiddling it. It could work. We might get a string of Europa and possibly champions league finishes.
That would be awesome. A very enjoyable ride. It also of course might not, and be an abject failure like Everton.

However, either way…what happens if the CCP suddenly say: dump that. Now, loss irrelevant. Because they could. And Fosun would.
If that particular scenario ever comes to pass (and it’s a completely real possibility), I’d much prefer our books to be nice and even, costs controlled, when we’re looking for a buyer in a distressed asset sale.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Further to earlier ramble, there is of course that other matter to consider, as in Fosun and the CCP.

Let’s just say, that Guo gets bored and wants to join the premier league billionaire’s dick-swinging contest. Sanctions spending a la Everton, stretching FFP to the limit and blatantly fiddling it. It could work. We might get a string of Europa and possibly champions league finishes.
That would be awesome. A very enjoyable ride. It also of course might not, and be an abject failure like Everton.

However, either way…what happens if the CCP suddenly say: dump that. Now, loss irrelevant. Because they could. And Fosun would.
If that particular scenario ever comes to pass (and it’s a completely real possibility), I’d much prefer our books to be nice and even, costs controlled, when we’re looking for a buyer in a distressed asset sale.
You appear to overlook the likelihood that the CCP  already said that as long ago as 2020, if not 2019, and that that is why we're now in a 'sustainability' paradigm, when the talk from Fosun's representatives between 2016 and 2019, when investment  was being pumped into the club, was of being in competition with the likes of Manchester City going forward.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You appear to overlook the likelihood that the CCP  already said that as long ago as 2020, if not 2019, and that that is why we're now in a 'sustainability' paradigm, when the talk from Fosun's representatives between 2016 and 2019, when investment  was being pumped into the club, was of being in competition with the likes of Manchester City going forward.
Haven’t overlooked that at all. You’re right, that’s how we got from there to here.
I’m just saying, they could, go one further, and decide that £200m back in Chinese circulation is more important to them than a sustainable £300-400m asset in the UK. Whether that’s for any real economic reason, or to remind Guo who’s boss, or a minuscule middle finger to Boris for the hell of it, it’s possible.

Should that happen, I’d much rather be a club on a sensible sustainable budget, than one that would need a rapid fire sale to be an attractive investment.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard a really crazy rumour that this is the football section of the forum. So its aimed at anything that isn't football.
Ok as you wish. Pernickety in the extreme It was a joke about what’s happening right now. I will though comply with your instructions.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard a really crazy rumour that this is the football section of the forum. So its aimed at anything that isn't football.
Didn’t see much football the last couple of months at Molineux….at least not by Wolves….:)

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th, 7th, 13th, 10th, in one of the toughest leagues in the world; an FA Cup semi-final and a Europa League cup run to the 1/4 final, compared the previous 40 years of largely huge disappointment including a double relegation doesn’t scream “no respect for the fans and no ambition” to me.
The problem with this is that all the successful parts came in the first 2 seasons. Since then we've done sweet FA!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Sure we've never had it so good on the pitch but actually following Wolves, personally, I had so much more enjoyment in the years of rot in the Championship and League One. Kick off times all over the show, football that is like pulling your nails out than enjoyable, taking out a small loan just to attend the game, atmosphere that just don't exist, VAR, the ceiling of how far you can go being clear and present, lack of any value to the ownership, the list goes on.
Atmosphere in Championship was generally awful, other than Leeds who are in the Prem.

Total myth the football league has good atmospheres.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

During Nuno's 2nd transfer window in Prem we had one of the highest net spend in the league.
Exactly how much free money did you want us to be given?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Atmosphere in Championship was generally awful, other than Leeds who are in the Prem.

Total myth the football league has good atmospheres.
I mean, I've been there for a vast majority of it, it was better.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I mean, I've been there for a vast majority of it, it was better.
I barely missed a game League 1 or championship and nothing has been better than our Prem atmospheres.

Idea we had a better one than against City in the comeback win, Utd FA cup is laughable.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
During Nuno's 2nd transfer window in Prem we had one of the highest net spend in the league.
Exactly how much free money did you want us to be given?

The bulk of that net spend was via the activation of options though, ie retaining players.

Personally, I blame Nuno for bottling that run in by playing ultra conservative and ****ting himself. If we'd replaced Bennett, could it have been a different story? Would we have picked up an extra point over the course of the season? Probably.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The bulk of that net spend was via the activation of options though, ie retaining players.

Personally, I blame Nuno for bottling that run in by playing ultra conservative and ****ting himself. If we'd replaced Bennett, could it have been a different story? Would we have picked up an extra point over the course of the season? Probably.
Yeah, but you still have to pay money to retain players so that makes sweet FA different. Did we or did we not spend the money?

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, but you still have to pay money to retain players so that makes sweet FA different. Did we or did we not spend the money?

Did we improve the squad from what we had?

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did we have a huge net spend? If you didn't want us to make Raul permanent that is fine, but we had a net spend of £80M

Refer to my earlier post, signing an extra defender probably would've seen us have 2 consecutive Europa seasons and the benefits that bring, and investment last summer would've seen us in Europe again this coming season (regardless of whether we deserved it or not).

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Refer to my earlier post, signing an extra defender probably would've seen us have 2 consecutive Europa seasons and the benefits that bring, and investment last summer would've seen us in Europe again this coming season (regardless of whether we deserved it or not).
Our problem was that Nuno could only coach compact, defensive football. We couldn't break down teams who sat back, we'd need structural change in order to do that

Back
Top Bottom