Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yikes, I love your posts Bill but I think you've misread this one.

As an aside, to show how poor women's football was seen by clubs 20 years ago, the Shef Weds & Utd teams were coached or managed by friends of mine. And no offence to my friends (male and female), but they had zero football qualifications. At least the female coach I knew was a personal trainer and therapist for some of the pro footballers but my mates were basically rubbish players like me who some how or other ended up helping out (I think because a wife played for the team - good player too).

The playing quality overall was sunday league - some of the players would play with us in our regular Friday kickabout. Conversely, I played against someone in leicester who played for a local team there and she absolutely ripped us apart. She was an absolutely top striker - all be it at 5-a-side. I've played with ex pros and she was up there with the upper non league striker I played regularly with, if a different style (proper tap in merchant).

The quality now is infinitely better and it's taken far more seriously. However, you can only get players by gradually promoting women's football more and more, giving it more exposure. I don't believe you can force the issue and it has to be gradual, which is exactly what we've seen.

At this point I believe there is merit in forcing clubs, fifa et al to start sharing the money around a lot more. I get it - men's football is still vastly more popular but things are changing. The ridiculous money at the top needs to spread downwards (leagues) and sideways (gender).

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yikes, I love your posts Bill but I think you've misread this one.

As an aside, to show how poor women's football was seen by clubs 20 years ago, the Shef Weds & Utd teams were coached or managed by friends of mine. And no offence to my friends (male and female), but they had zero football qualifications. At least the female coach I knew was a personal trainer and therapist for some of the pro footballers but my mates were basically rubbish players like me who some how or other ended up helping out (I think because a wife played for the team - good player too).

The playing quality overall was sunday league - some of the players would play with us in our regular Friday kickabout. Conversely, I played against someone in leicester who played for a local team there and she absolutely ripped us apart. She was an absolutely top striker - all be it at 5-a-side. I've played with ex pros and she was up there with the upper non league striker I played regularly with, if a different style (proper tap in merchant).

The quality now is infinitely better and it's taken far more seriously. However, you can only get players by gradually promoting women's football more and more, giving it more exposure. I don't believe you can force the issue and it has to be gradual, which is exactly what we've seen.

At this point I believe there is merit in forcing clubs, fifa et al to start sharing the money around a lot more. I get it - men's football is still vastly more popular but things are changing. The ridiculous money at the top needs to spread downwards (leagues) and sideways (gender).
All I've said is there is little interest in Wolves Women in response to the rumour (relevant to this thread) that Fosun are dialling back on funding the women.

Maybe you can tell me what I've said that's misogynistic? I'm at a loss.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS!!

Further to the announcement that Giles has completed his move to Luton on the official website, Hobbs is quoted as saying:
“It’s a nice move for Gilo to go back to Rob, who knows him well, and knows how to get the best out of him. When he wasn’t going to be part of Julen’s plans,"

Julens got a plan!!!!!!

We can all breath easy.
Yeah he’s on like Plan E or Plan F or something now

R

reanswolf

All I've said is there is little interest in Wolves Women in response to the rumour (relevant to this thread) that Fosun are dialling back on funding the women.

What sort of crowds do Wolves women get?

I hope it evolves and based on the number of Wolves fans on here who argued vociferously that everyone should follow the England womens team, surely those same people follow Wolves women?

They have done us proud over the past year.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but my understanding is you are saying there is little interest in Woman's football in your opinion and people are now taking this as a slight against woman in football in general including as supporters.
My take on your opinion is purely on the playing side interest and as much as it is hyped up by some I personally have no interest in it whatsoever and haven't and won't watch 1 minute of the Women's World Cup and know a lot of people that feel the same. That doesn't make anyone misogynistic it's just about personal choices (we seem to live in a society that appears to allow less of being able to express without someone finding a reason to jump on people for) I feel no different about Rugby, men or women, yet for example with horse racing I believe the top women jockeys are every bit as good as the men and love watching it.
Maybe in time it will come somewhere near Men's football interest wise but in my opinion is miles away at the moment.

T

TheConcourse

It’s mad how little you’re allowed to say. I’m with you. Zero interest in women’s football. It’s crap.

I’ve also got zero interest in the following men’s sports:

- F1
- Darts

I took your post as a view that when the club is skint it probably shouldn’t be adding costs that could directly impact the first team.

I don’t see those costs having any material impact tbf, and it’s important that Wolves Women are invested in. They’ve made some decent progress.

Misogynistic views though? Behave.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I got the year wrong at a glance in between jobs. Sorry.

It makes little difference to the point I was making. In fact it makes no difference.
But it does give people another stick to beat you with.

I don’t care really, I’m just bored.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve never watched Wolves women, I’ve watched a bit of England’s women, I’ve no idea if Wolves Women’s crowds are increasing, but I do know interest in Woman’s football in general is on the up.

I think it’s a good thing for Wolves to have women’s football regardless of whether I’m interested or not, as I’m sure some people are interested.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve never watched Wolves women, I’ve watched a bit of England’s women, I’ve no idea if Wolves Women’s crowds are increasing, but I do know interest in Woman’s football in general is on the up.

I think it’s a good thing for Wolves to have women’s football regardless of whether I’m interested or not, as I’m sure some people are interested.

I spent ages the other day looking for a Women's World Cup thread on the Off Topic forum, only to find it's been left here on the main Wolves forum !

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As I see it the Wolves Women's team is an ideal way to invest in the Wolves brand, for comparatively little outlay, with a far more direct return to the club as a whole than any of the other mooted brand expansion areas. The current World Cup will contribute to an already growing interest in the women's game, both worldwide and in our direct geographical catchment area. Why not fly the Wolves flag in this potentialy expanding market? Women are 50% of the potential fan market and giving young girls local role models, who appear as fully integrated part of the Wolves football club can only encourage participation as both future players and fans. If expanding our turnover is the goal this is surely an ideal area to invest in.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I understand what you're saying, it's as much about the way you've said it. Came across as quite backward thinking. You're absolutely right that the men's game has the mos interest but the women's game has increasing interest and the way to keep that momentum is to keep supporting it. Simply dropping back to "it isn't popular" is defeatist and not even very true. Aside from that, the money in the men's game is (by far) more than enough to support the women's game.

Many of the same arguments were used decades ago in other sports as reasons to pay women players less, or not at all.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What sort of crowds do Wolves women get?

I hope it evolves and based on the number of Wolves fans on here who argued vociferously that everyone should follow the England womens team, surely those same people follow Wolves women?

They have done us proud over the past year.
I found an article from two years ago saying between 200-300. They got 650 for the visit of Albion. Season ticket holders get in for free.

If that's the level of interest, no wonder there's rumours of Fosun pulling the plug.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found an article from two years ago saying between 200-300. They got 650 for the visit of Albion. Season ticket holders get in for free.

If that's the level of interest, no wonder there's rumours of Fosun pulling the plug.

Don’t think they’re pulling the plug, rumour I heard was they’re not increasing their budget, apparently all they asked for was about what a men’s player makes in a week to last them all season and the club said no

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Have you any idea what attendance men's football at a similar grassroots level gets? It is not just about numbers through the turnstiles. Jeff seems to understand branding, media and social media exposure in relation to e-sports and music, but not so much football. Wolves brand exposure to a potential new population of fans, through a successful women's team might be just as important, if not more so. A few thousand extra girls or women from the West Midlands who start to feel part of the pack, might have a greater long term impact on future cash spending fan base than the millions of temporary hits in the Shanghai e-sports arena, or player following "fans" in Mexico and Korea.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but my understanding is you are saying there is little interest in Woman's football in your opinion and people are now taking this as a slight against woman in football in general including as supporters.
Nope. I've said there's little interest in Wolves Women. Not Women's football in general, although I have said I have no interest in it, I've no interest in cycle racing either. Maybe I should be insulted for that too?
My take on your opinion is purely on the playing side interest and as much as it is hyped up by some I personally have no interest in it whatsoever and haven't and won't watch 1 minute of the Women's World Cup and know a lot of people that feel the same. That doesn't make anyone misogynistic it's just about personal choices (we seem to live in a society that appears to allow less of being able to express without someone finding a reason to jump on people for) I feel no different about Rugby, men or women, yet for example with horse racing I believe the top women jockeys are every bit as good as the men and love watching it.
Maybe in time it will come somewhere near Men's football interest wise but in my opinion is miles away at the moment.
Couldn't agree more.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s mad how little you’re allowed to say. I’m with you. Zero interest in women’s football. It’s crap.

I’ve also got zero interest in the following men’s sports:

- F1
- Darts

I took your post as a view that when the club is skint it probably shouldn’t be adding costs that could directly impact the first team.

I don’t see those costs having any material impact tbf, and it’s important that Wolves Women are invested in. They’ve made some decent progress.

Misogynistic views though? Behave.
Thank you. I too can't stand darts as a sport. It's fine as a game with mates with a few beers, but to make a spectator sport out of it is mental, it's so boring.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, it's as much about the way you've said it. Came across as quite backward thinking. You're absolutely right that the men's game has the mos interest but the women's game has increasing interest and the way to keep that momentum is to keep supporting it. Simply dropping back to "it isn't popular" is defeatist and not even very true. Aside from that, the money in the men's game is (by far) more than enough to support the women's game.

Many of the same arguments were used decades ago in other sports as reasons to pay women players less, or not at all.
The money in football is enough to support lots of things, doesn't mean it should.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you. I too can't stand darts as a sport. It's fine as a game with mates with a few beers, but to make a spectator sport out of it is mental, it's so boring.

I think its the need for many to go on any discussion or thread about womens football just to state they aren't interested or its crap etc. I have no interest in cricket/Ashes but havent felt the need to hop onto those threads/discussions to tell everyone. Let those folks talk about something they have interest in and if you dont have any, get on with your day with something that interests you.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think they’re pulling the plug, rumour I heard was they’re not increasing their budget, apparently all they asked for was about what a men’s player makes in a week to last them all season and the club said no
There's so little money in womens football, ploughing money in with no prospect of a return just isn't very prudent.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its the need for many to go on any discussion or thread about womens football just to state they aren't interested or its crap etc. I have no interest in cricket/Ashes but havent felt the need to hop onto those threads/discussions to tell everyone. Let those folks talk about something they have interest in and if you dont have any, get on with your day with something that interests you.
I've not done that. Thanks for your input though. Everything I've said is in the rumours thread

Back
Top Bottom