Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ruben Amorim

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In some ways i'll actually be pleased if Villa get Emery because its going to put more into focus that good managers are out there if you make yourself attractive enough and make them feel wanted.

Totally agree. It will just underline who rubbish and frankly untrue the statement from Shi was.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't get my head around this at all, how the **** can they get Emery whilst we can't even appoint a novice? Something is very very rotten at our club, and I think the fish is rotting from the head.
Simple. They've got the ability to score here or there. We don't.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And why, pray tell, if we wanted a Spanish Europa League winner who also has experience of working at top level clubs in Lopetegui, haven't we even approached Emery?

Obviously not as "outstanding" as a bloke whose been at QPR for 2 months.

The club clearly isn't being run by a skilled, experience team, making impartial, logical decisions. Or at least not the same logic than most succesful clubs use. Think it starts with Jeff Shi being appointed not for his experience and knowledge of the job, but because he was a trusted colleague of Guo within Fosun. That's how a lot of business works.

From that point on, our decisions are not made by looking at the whole market, whether for staff or players. We all know that by now surely?

In my experience, sometimes when recruiting, there can be what appears to be a candidate with technically great CV, but the head honchos will reject with a "not right for us". With no tacit explanation of exactly why - that's what comes with being the boss! Then the job goes to a person with less experience but who coincidentally went to the same school/golf club/whatever. Emery? "Not right for us". Sometimes those at the top have an arrogant complacency with reckless overconfidence about their decision making. I don't know whether Jeff is like that, but the hints are there and I see nothing to suggest he isn't.

Fosuns management decisions have been poor. They struck gold with one. But two of the other 3 were ludicrous unsuitable and it was obvious from day 1. Zenga to the point of you have to question the sanity of who appointed him. The other (Bruno), was uninspired and not a manager any other club in the major leagues would have had any interest in. It looks like the top of our heirarchy are so insecure in their lack of football experience, coupled with an arrogance that comes with being part of a corporation making billions - doing something unrelated to football, of course - that they prefer to work with compliant yes men. They can't stand a strong manager who would dare challenge the player transfers they impose on us as part of god knows what scheme. But the scheme is definitely not "Build a Premier League team". That happened as a by product. It's this idea that business is business and the specific details are irrelevent, that if you could manage an inestment firm, you could manage a football club, or ballet school, whatever. If that does work, it works by the business people appointing technical experts in the specific field and that is exactly where we've gone wrong. Our leaders appear scared to appoint such experts to manage the footballing side. Well, just one super agent and that's our lot. And he's connected to Fosun via the tangled web anyway. Looks like anybody who would disturb that at any level, in any role, is not allowed and will mysteriously depart, as we've seen repeatedly. Regardless of how good they are at their job. And we are now reaping what has been sown.

They can still make player dealing profits in the Championship. Theres' a never ending supply of decent Portugese/Spanish young players who can be passed to us to try out and develop for bigger clubs.

Last edited:

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we're being rejected because of our players......I seriously doubt we're actually approaching this level of manager, and that is the problem.
Lopetegui is that level of manager. Some of the other rumoured names have managed clubs as big or bigger.

I think it's a lack of backing as well. Any manager coming in knows they will need to spend money in January. And I'm not sure the management is down for that.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t guarantee success though…

Neither does *not* throwing money at it. Getting the best person for the job is generally the wise approach. Not the cheapest. Nor the one who will do what we tell them.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The trouble is that it's easy to say that with hindsight of how long the replacement is taking, but a lot of people were saying things like this before he was sacked:
Completely agree, lose lose situation. Although i feel the club themselves thought they had it all made up and lopetegui would have been in

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They can still make player dealing profits in the Championship. Theres' a never ending supply of decent Portugese/Spanish young players who can be passed to us to try out and develop for bigger clubs.
Debatable under new work permit rules.
Struggle to buy in truckloads of unproven talent.

So it’s an even more stupid risk, allowing us to get into this position, as the alleged underlying profit plan is also at risk, never mind losing the £300m+ in club value gained through promotion.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In some ways i'll actually be pleased if Villa get Emery because its going to put more into focus that good managers are out there if you make yourself attractive enough and make them feel wanted.
I won't. Because it means villa have become attractive enough for someone who turned down Newcastle for not having a coherent plan.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People saying get Amorim in, but he's in the Champions league with sporting...Will have to offer him a blank cheque to come, which Shi won't do.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not paying for a top quality manager after the summer spending spree is the equivalent of having a crumbling house full of expensive furniture and 3 sports cars on the drive

Newportwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Some Portuguese football ‘expert’ was just asked on Sky Sports if Amorim interested in Villa job ….said been no contact from Villa and he’s not interested anyway because he wants to do things with Sporting and Villa is not the type of project he wants next….pretty much rules us out as well…..not that we were, or ever likely to be in anyway…

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Emery joins Villa, it sadly and unequivocally would answer the long-running question about which of the two clubs has more ambition.
It's a big if though innit? I ain't trusting any bookies on next manager odds any more.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But there isn’t a credible candidate…..

Not one who has won the Europa league lol

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fair play if they can attract either Emery or Amorim. Maybe they’ll get both. 1982, after all.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever some of our fans dream to think, we aren’t bigger or a more exciting prospect than Villa. Trust me, from someone that lives down south and doesn’t have the same partisan views. Villa are viewed as a much more established club than Wolves by neutrals. No wonder this transfers to managerial candidate interest.

Bigger stadium, larger transfer budget, better history (last 40 years or so).

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Shi had anything about him he'd be pulling out all stops to hijack any deal with Emery, but he'll probably already be back at home in his ivory tower looking at the day's twitter hits for the eSports team and feeling very content with himself.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got excited when I saw this thread at the top of the forum

We should definitely gazump villa for emery as revenge for the Dawson/bednarek thing

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever some of our fans dream to think, we aren’t bigger or a more exciting prospect than Villa. Trust me, from someone that lives down south and doesn’t have the same partisan views. Villa are viewed as a much more established club than Wolves by neutrals. No wonder this transfers to managerial candidate interest.

Bigger stadium, larger transfer budget, better history (last 40 years or so).
I think a couple of years ago under Nuno we were well on our way to overtaking Villa and establishing ourselves as top dogs in the West Midlands. However since then we have completely self destructed and thrown the whole project down the bog.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I won't be jealous of Emery at Villa, failed utterly at arsenal with his methods turning the players against him...

Back
Top Bottom