Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ronaldo (not linked)

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Get him in, no wages but a straight 20mil of he keeps us up.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could United sack him without paying him off?
No, been speaking to a few people and all they can do is heavily fine him.

I asked about it surely being professional gross misconduct and they just laughed and said “mate if you knew half the stuff happening here and there so many players would be unemployed and unemployable” haha.

Said it was crass and a horrible thing to do, but he isn’t the first player to do a hit piece interview on a club and he won’t be the last.

But he is defo the biggest so person to do it, so it will get more exposure than others would and could if they did the same.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant let the thread pass without adding that Messi has always been the GOAT, Ronaldo has never been at the same level, people who understand football know this. However based purely on longevity of performing at the very top Ronaldo will go down as one of the very very best, better than Pele etc in my view.
But even your first part is flawed, the GOAT discussion is all subjective and personal taste in player style and also the weight you put into the “he never did anything outside of Barca or Spain” debate or the thought “messi has had better international teams/team mates than ronaldo and their international cv’s aren’t too far apart”

Ronaldo has won far more across Europe in far more demanding leagues where messi isn’t pulling up trees in a very poor and weak French league.

This is a debate where no one is right or wrong, it’s all personal taste.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cant let the thread pass without adding that Messi has always been the GOAT, Ronaldo has never been at the same level, people who understand football know this. However based purely on longevity of performing at the very top Ronaldo will go down as one of the very very best, better than Pele etc in my view.
Ahh the old " people who understand football know this" chestnut. Agree with me - you understand football, don't agree with me - you know nothing. Tosh

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mainly because his 800+ club and international goals are all documented, with video proof.

How many of Pele's supposed 1000+ goals were during a kickaround in the park?

Messi is along with maybe Maradona, the greatest natural talent of all-time.

But I do think Ronaldo is the greatest goal scorer of his generation, perhaps even of all time.

When you look back at his exploits at Real Madrid, it's just astonishing. 450 goals in 438 games across 9 seasons. To score an average of 50 goals per season every season for 9 seasons, for a side carrying that level of pressure, is frankly just insane. Just playing 50 games on average per season for 9 seasons is impressive enough!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d take it for him

If he played for Napoli nowadays, it would be the cleanest city in the World. The ultras would just make sure there was no supply. Anyone caught dealing to Diego would be severely punished.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he played for Napoli nowadays, it would be the cleanest city in the World. The ultras would just make sure there was no supply. Anyone caught dealing to Diego would be severely punished.
Napoli don’t need him at the moment! (Well, you know what I mean)

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£600K per week apparently

Must be within that sort of region. So who's going to be capable of affording that? Very few sides in Europe for sure. And none of which need him.

There's only Chelsea that seems like a realistic option.

Sanewolf

Reaction score
Mainly because his 800+ club and international goals are all documented, with video proof.

But I do think Ronaldo is the greatest goal scorer of his generation, perhaps even of all time.

When you look back at his exploits at Real Madrid, it's just astonishing. 450 goals in 438 games across 9 seasons. To score an average of 50 goals per season every season for 9 seasons, for a side carrying that level of pressure, is frankly just insane. Just playing 50 games on average per season for 9 seasons is impressive enough!
"Ronaldo is greatest goal scorer of all time" you say, he doesnt have a better goal scoring record than Messi who has over 140 more assists than Ronaldo.
All time:
Ronaldo
Appearances = 1140
Goals = 818 goals
*A goal every 113 mins

Messi
Appearances= 995
Goals = 785
* A goal every 104 mins

Messi has better stats than anyone ever to play the game. I do believe that Maradona at his peak and could have been at the same level as Messi but Maradona's peak was 4/5 years max? Messi has been performing at this level for over 18 years, its remarkable.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But Messi scores more goals and has a better strike rate. On top of that he creates far more for others hence the well over 100+ extra assists and the game literally runs right through him. Ronaldo was a final third player and the last few years a final 18 yrds player.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm one of the few who sympathises with Ronaldo on this (I'm not condoning every aspect of his behaviour mind).

He was in demand when he joined United and then quickly became embroiled in a Circus of a football club.

He did his best last season and pitched in with many goals.

This season, all change and Ten Hag comes in.

Ronaldo gave indications that he wanted to leave before the start of the season. Then it appears he and Ten Hag met and talked it out - and he stayed.

Then there are this seasons personal problems at home and shenanigans at the club as Ronaldo is clearly being partially used/phased out.

I get the impression that United wanted to keep Ronaldo (the £500k a week is more than repaid in commercial deals, sponsors, social media adverts etc).
Ten Hag followed the United mantra, but appears to me to have used his treatment of Ronaldo as a means to gesture his own authority to the squad and outside world.

All in all, I think Ronaldo has been done up like a kipper really. But you have to say, it's worked out better for United (as it did for Arteta in his Obameyang treatment).

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must be within that sort of region. So who's going to be capable of affording that? Very few sides in Europe for sure. And none of which need him.

There's only Chelsea that seems like a realistic option.
600k a week translates to 31 million a year.
Till the end of the season we're talking 15mill in wages. There are much, much worse ways to spend 15 million.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But Messi scores more goals and has a better strike rate. On top of that he creates far more for others hence the well over 100+ extra assists and the game literally runs right through him. Ronaldo was a final third player and the last few years a final 18 yrds player.

I think that's where they differ and why in my opinion Ronaldo is a better goal scorer. Ronaldo's career has proven that you can put him in any side and he will score goals at an elite level. He also scores different types of goals, many with his head.

Since leaving the sides where they enjoyed their best scoring returns, Ronaldo has carried on and remained an elite goal scorer (128 goals in 188 games across 6 seasons @ a goal every 1.47 games).

Messi has focussed more on his all-round game, which is why he remains a better overall player. But since leaving Barca he's dropped off to 23 in 53 @ a goal every 2.30 games).

Both were beneficiaries of playing in incredible sides. But Messi was the best player on the planet, playing for the best club side on the planet for many years. Between 09/10 and 18/19, Messi scored a quite frankly ludicrous 523 goals in 526 games for Barca over 10 seasons, winning 7/10 league titles and 2 Champions Leagues. At that point Messi was probably ahead as the the best goal scorer of his generation.

But since they've left Real and Barca respectively, Ronaldo has proven his goal scoring feats for a number of clubs, under differing circumstances.

It's why as a goal scorer, I'd have him slightly ahead of Messi now. But as a player, Messi will always be seen as better.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not convinced Messi gets anywhere near his goal tally if he'd plied his trade in four countries like Ronaldo (including the most physically intense, the Premier League). Messi never left his comfort zone until he was effectively forced out. His strike rate for PSG has declined markedly to less than 1 in 2, from almost 1 in 1 for Barca.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could United sack him without paying him off?
Probably if both parties agreed to it, shook hands and said goodbye.

However, by doing that you’re setting a precedent for any other disgruntled player that might want to leave.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not convinced Messi gets anywhere near his goal tally if he'd plied his trade in four countries like Ronaldo (including the most physically intense, the Premier League). Messi never left his comfort zone until he was effectively forced out. His strike rate for PSG has declined markedly to less than 1 in 2, from almost 1 in 1 for Barca.
That’s because Ronaldo plays for himself whilst Messi plays for the team.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm one of the few who sympathises with Ronaldo on this (I'm not condoning every aspect of his behaviour mind).

He was in demand when he joined United and then quickly became embroiled in a Circus of a football club.

Ronaldo gave indications that he wanted to leave before the start of the season. Then it appears he and Ten Hag met and talked it out - and he stayed.

Then there are this seasons personal problems at home and shenanigans at the club as Ronaldo is clearly being partially used/phased out.

I get the impression that United wanted to keep Ronaldo (the £500k a week is more than repaid in commercial deals, sponsors, social media adverts etc).
Ten Hag followed the United mantra, but appears to me to have used his treatment of Ronaldo as a means to gesture his own authority to the squad and outside world.

All in all, I think Ronaldo has been done up like a kipper really. But you have to say, it's worked out better for United (as it did for Arteta in his Obameyang treatment).
Good post.
Reminded me when Zidane came back to Real but he wanted Bale gone. Lousy situation for Bale. Bloody cheek of Zidane to say “best for everyone if he leaves”.
However, Bale had 3 years left on his contract……worth about £53m……hahaha….get stuffed Real.:)

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ronaldo vs Messi……who cares who’s the best?
Both absolutely fantastic players, ( among many others over the decades). They are so good, I
simultaneously hate them and love them ……envious and jealous of their incredible talents.

Showed us some incredible stuff.

molinew

Reaction score
I'm not sure that comparison works considering Ligue 1 is a weaker league than La Liga

R

reanswolf

I think that's where they differ and why in my opinion Ronaldo is a better goal scorer. Ronaldo's career has proven that you can put him in any side and he will score goals at an elite level. He also scores different types of goals, many with his head.

Since leaving the sides where they enjoyed their best scoring returns, Ronaldo has carried on and remained an elite goal scorer (128 goals in 188 games across 6 seasons @ a goal every 1.47 games).

Messi has focussed more on his all-round game, which is why he remains a better overall player. But since leaving Barca he's dropped off to 23 in 53 @ a goal every 2.30 games).

Both were beneficiaries of playing in incredible sides. But Messi was the best player on the planet, playing for the best club side on the planet for many years. Between 09/10 and 18/19, Messi scored a quite frankly ludicrous 523 goals in 526 games for Barca over 10 seasons, winning 7/10 league titles and 2 Champions Leagues. At that point Messi was probably ahead as the the best goal scorer of his generation.

But since they've left Real and Barca respectively, Ronaldo has proven his goal scoring feats for a number of clubs, under differing circumstances.

It's why as a goal scorer, I'd have him slightly ahead of Messi now. But as a player, Messi will always be seen as better.
Thats a great summary to be fair, and I am in the Messi camp.

To me both are probably the best players the world has ever seen, perhaps along with Maradona.
Ronaldo is like a machine, German-efficient, whilst Messi is the artist. Ronaldo made you think "wow", Messi makes you think "how?".
That's a simple analogy my son told me, but I think it is so apt. For his 14th birthday I paid for us to go and see him play for Barce, never in a million years would I do that for Ronaldo. Messi is a magician, and I am so pleased I/we have seen him play.

So when you ask who you would rather have in your team performance-wise, it might be arguable that Ronaldo now edges it, but in terms of grace, flair, skill, incredible talent, for me they are not in the same stratosphere. Messi will always be GOAT of all time, and I found it ironic that when his Man Utd teammates (of that earlier Manure team he was in) were asked, they literally all stated Messi was the best.

Each to their own of course, you either choose precision or grace.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way people spout opinions as facts now that’s funny.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Also remember when Ronaldo came back to the UK it was to potentially join City, United signed him out of nostalgia and spite what a shame it hasn’t worked out

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also remember when Ronaldo came back to the UK it was to potentially join City, United signed him out of nostalgia and spite what a shame it hasn’t worked out
But I think it has worked out.
Ten Hag has used Ronaldo as a means to instil a discipline, setting examples etc. If you take on Ronaldo successfully then the rest of the squad will fall into place.

But from Ronaldos point of view, its highly likely they've gone back on their word with him and to that end, given that every season is precious to him at his age, I don't blame him for being annoyed and disgruntled.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
Oh what beautiful irony!

Piers Morgan, by all accounts a life long MU fan has just destroyed and ended the career of one of his most favourite idols in just one interview!

As Del would say “Piers you PLONKER!!

Back
Top Bottom