Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ref Watch -Brentford H

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Ref had a decent game overall. Shocker for the pen tho. Seems a standard thing not to give them now and just let VAR deal with it...or not if it's a wolves badge on the shirt

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right in front of us, I’m afraid I disagree, wiped out it’s a clear penalty
For me, Toti was looking for it. There might be an argument for the arm of the keeper on him, but I think it was a sensible call from Tierney. Nothing like Pope at Newcastle. Once you get a replay you'll see it.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Replay looks like no penalty to me. Would have been very soft, for once you can't blame Attwell for not overturning.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tierney was very good today. It absolutely was not a penalty on Toti.

It was. You have to watch the different angles, and in some it looked soft, and in others, stonewall. VAR failed us again, since it had all the angles and didn’t even ask the ref to review it.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was a penalty, and he also failed to give Jensen a second yellow for a very clear shirt pull. He was ok apart from that, but I couldn’t call him “very good”. Attwell on VAR was his usual pathetic self for not asking the ref to review different angles for the penalty shout.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Difficult to see from where I was but this ones on VAR not the ref. It was sent up and quickly rejected.

As an aside. Who do you reckon would have taken it?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
At half time I thought it was a very good performance. Second half he totally lost after the failure to award the pen (maybe I need some more angles, but it couldn't have looked more blatant live) glad our players got their **** back together before anything went wrong. Was the second half shirt pull the same player as the first half, absolute bottle job if so.

Thing with the pen is live it seemed absolute stonewall, but ref goes straight to VAR, but VAR is only overruling a clear error. Typical of the abdication of responsibility that's going on.

So awful, but either because we won, or because the bar is so low, I don't care tonight (it's the first one).

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At half time I thought it was a very good performance. Second half he totally lost after the failure to award the pen (maybe I need some more angles, but it couldn't have looked more blatant live) glad our players got their **** back together before anything went wrong. Was the second half shirt pull the same player as the first half, absolute bottle job if so.

Thing with the pen is live it seemed absolute stonewall, but ref goes straight to VAR, but VAR is only overruling a clear error. Typical of the abdication of responsibility that's going on.

So awful, but either because we won, or because the bar is so low, I don't care tonight (it's the first one).

Yep, same player.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difficult to see from where I was but this ones on VAR not the ref. It was sent up and quickly rejected.

As an aside. Who do you reckon would have taken it?
It’s kind of on VAR, but it’s kind of on the ref too. By not giving it, they are opening it up to having to be “clear and obvious” to overturn. This is yet another case where if the ref actually gave the penalty, there is no way the VAR overturns it.

I just don’t know what we need to happen for us to get a penalty.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
It’s kind of on VAR, but it’s kind of on the ref too. By not giving it, they are opening it up to having to be “clear and obvious” to overturn. This is yet another case where if the ref actually gave the penalty, there is no way the VAR overturns it.

I just don’t know what we need to happen for us to get a penalty.
Which begs the question, why did the referee not give it? Is it because he genuinely didn’t think it was a penalty? Or because he wanted to be cautious and hope VAR helps him out if he’s stuffed up?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said it months ago that refs aren't giving the big decisions on the pitch, they shy away from them 'safe' in the knowledge that VAR should sort anything out if they've got it wrong, but VAR is backing the refs' on field decisions whether wrong or right, so all you end up with is refs shirking responsibility and VAR backing them

It's a total cluster ****

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which begs the question, why did the referee not give it? Is it because he genuinely didn’t think it was a penalty? Or because he wanted to be cautious and hope VAR helps him out if he’s stuffed up?
Exactly. The whole system is a joke.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Said it months ago that refs aren't giving the big decisions on the pitch, they shy away from them 'safe' in the knowledge that VAR should sort anything out if they've got it wrong, but VAR is backing the refs' on field decisions whether wrong or right, so all you end up with is refs shirking responsibility and VAR backing them

I agree, except last week the Newcastle one the ref did exactly the same and VAR gave the pen. I've only seen it live (other side of SB) and the highlights, maybe there's an angle it looks soft from, I can't see how anyone thinks it's not a pen though.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought Tierney was largely good, some of you lot would moan regardless to be honest.

Disagree with him on the pen in real time though, looked like it was. Need to see some proper replays of it in any case though, having Attwell on VAR likely didn't help considering how useless he was at Spurs Vs Brighton last week.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, except last week the Newcastle one the ref did exactly the same and VAR gave the pen. I've only seen it live (other side of SB) and the highlights, maybe there's an angle it looks soft from, I can't see how anyone thinks it's not a pen though.
Just another to add to the list, got to be six or seven stone wall penalties we've been denied since Lopetegui took over, got to think that if refs didn't have VAR to fall back on, we'd have got at least a couple of them

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought Tierney was largely good, some of you lot would moan regardless to be honest.

Disagree with him on the pen in real time though, looked like it was. Need to see some proper replays of it in any case though, having Attwell on VAR likely didn't help considering how useless he was at Spurs Vs Brighton last week.

He got a penalty call wrong, and he got not giving a second yellow for a second blatant shirt pull by Jensen. Those were the two biggest decisions of the match and they were wrong. Apart from that there wasn't that much he had to do.

I don't think a referee blowing major calls and not giving stonewall penalties again is having a moan when it's pointed out that it's very poor.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He got a penalty call wrong, and he got not giving a second yellow for a second blatant shirt pull by Jensen. Those were the two biggest decisions of the match and they were wrong. Apart from that there wasn't that much he had to do.

I don't think a referee blowing major calls and not giving stonewall penalties again is having a moan when it's pointed out that it's very poor.
The shirt pull wasn't all that the second time round, if one of ours was given a second booking for that you'd all be complaining. And no, a shirt pull isn't an automatic card as some of you bang on about, more about the context. Our player was heading towards the touchline, was more of a short tug rather than a long hold and it wasn't stopping a promising attack.....not a card.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a penalty, and he also failed to give Jensen a second yellow for a very clear shirt pull.
Not for me regarding the second shirt pull. Yes, it's a shirt pull, but is a pull automatically worthy of a booking in the middle of the pitch? I put that one in the, "Do that again and you're gone" category. It seemed like common sense to me, and I'm one who has raged against recent injustices against us.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not for me regarding the second shirt pull. Yes, it's a shirt pull, but is a pull automatically worthy of a booking in the middle of the pitch? I put that one in the, "Do that again and you're gone" category. It seemed like common sense to me, and I'm one who has raged against recent injustices against us.
He'd already had a 'don't do that again' with the yellow card.

Last edited:

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

All mates together.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you check your elbow across the face of another player it's a foul.

I genuinely think they were concentrating on what was happening with their feet.

Absolute stonewall penalty.
That is why. as in cricket, they should say what they are checking for.

Gazebowolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree, if that was at the other end and it was given against Sa then we would be going apoplectic. The games gone if that is deeemed a penalty.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the penalty, question - would that have been given as a foul anywhere else on the pitch…? 100% yes. Scandalous on field decision by a referee AGAIN.

Back
Top Bottom