Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Radamel Falcao

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Falcao prefers Old Empire because his granddad was from Ooop North

Mr E

Reaction score
Doesn't seem at all likely but, then again, neither did Moutinho- a signing that I still find difficult to believe.

I'd have to buy another shirt just to stick Falcao on the back.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like what were called fritters or scallops in Salop...
Yes scallops is another term. Klondike might be peculiar to Bushbury/Low Hill district. (A chip shop on corner of showell rd. 5th Avenue where we got our klondikes from.)

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We used to call them klondikes, many years ago up on Bushbags Hill.
Sliced potatoes battered and deep fried.

:yum::yum:
The ones I've encountered - large slices of potato in batter - have been called potato cakes or potato scallops. Never had ordinary styled chips in batter but no doubt they are tasty.

CITIZEN ERASED

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes scallops is another term. Klondike might be peculiar to Bushbury/Low Hill district. (A chip shop on corner of showell rd. 5th Avenue where we got our klondikes from.)

Grew up near Chapel Ash and have always called them Scallops....My mum grew up in Bushbury and recently asked fora Klondike in a chippie in Penn and got a baffled look from the teenager serving her.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like what were called fritters or scallops in Salop...
My mates in Wednesfield call 'em Scallops. I was in the chip shop when my mate asked for scallops. I thought it sounded posh and being a fan of seafood ordered six for myself. Just giant chips really. Needless to say I didn't finish my dinner.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My mates in Wednesfield call 'em Scallops. I was in the chip shop when my mate asked for scallops. I thought it sounded posh and being a fan of seafood ordered six for myself. Just giant chips really. Needless to say I didn't finish my dinner.
Jiz would have lol

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Scallops all the way. Bloody Klondike’s I’ve never heard anything so silly.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ones I've encountered - large slices of potato in batter - have been called potato cakes or potato scallops. Never had ordinary styled chips in batter but no doubt they are tasty.
Now where l came from a potato cake was essentially a flattened, shaped, deep-fried lump of mashed potato coated in breadcrumbs...

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We call em Scallops in Featherstone-Wolverhampton,Not Yorkshire.

St.Simon.

Reaction score
This thread has turned into Master Chef. Who cares about your chips?

tipton81

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Scallops but I prefer Klondikes and we should make an effort to bring that word back

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Used to work with a chap from Gornal and we were in Derby, he asked for a tinned roe and a couple of klondikes, after them not knowing what he meant they asked him why he called them klondikes, to which he replied "cus thas wot tham cowin called ay they ya barmpot" did loff!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Used to work with a chap from Gornal and we were in Derby, he asked for a tinned roe and a couple of klondikes, after them not knowing what he meant they asked him why he called them klondikes, to which he replied "cus thas wot tham cowin called ay they ya barmpot" did loff!

Thank you for that.
Must’ve been the combination of ‘cowin’ and ‘barmpot’ particularly, that briefly resurrected my Grandpa’s voice.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very good in my opinion; mind you I quite fancy a visit to Majors!

Pep's (the chippy in Compton) is top of my chippy list.

Thanks both, next time I'm up will try. Will be a wrench, I went to Majors the very first day it opened back in the 70s! Up till then it was Campbell's on Bilston High Street or Dormstons opposite the Chinese take away on Mount Pleasant. Those were the days....

W

wanderer24

We call them scallops and they are minging but klondikes is a great word

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the Ocean chippy in Bilston (circa 1995) was that scallops or klondikes?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Mum, born just off the Bilston Road, often made us klondikes when we were kids.To us they were just large irregular shaped chips cut by hand. No batter, just deep fried. Loved 'em!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Sweden,we call crisps chips,and we call chips pommes frites.
Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom