Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Qatari interest?

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A key reason for Fosun buying us was that at the time the Chinese government wanted to increase Chinese ownership of Western football clubs. The commercial aspect was secondary and debatable given how few owners make money out of football.
I imagine it wasn't a key reason I reckon it was the only reason.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A key reason for Fosun buying us was that at the time the Chinese government wanted to increase Chinese ownership of Western football clubs. The commercial aspect was secondary and debatable given how few owners make money out of football.
Yes,it was part of a Chinese economic strategy, but not a public relations exercise on behalf of the government. China really does not do that kind of thing. Fousun did really have a plan for using Wolves to make money out of football, through player trading utilising the Mendes connection. It did not work out as planned, partly due to changes in rules over part ownership of players and more general scrutiny of the players agent's role in Europe, which made the business model less attractive. They have stuck with the investment, but not because it generates goodwill for the CCP.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes,it was part of a Chinese economic strategy, but not a public relations exercise on behalf of the government. China really does not do that kind of thing. Fousun did really have a plan for using Wolves to make money out of football, through player trading utilising the Mendes connection. It did not work out as planned, partly due to changes in rules over part ownership of players and more general scrutiny of the players agent's role in Europe, which made the business model less attractive. They have stuck with the investment, but not because it generates goodwill for the CCP.
China absolutely is involved in sportswashing - Beijing winter Olympics being the recent example. Buying a Western football club will almost always be an exercise in soft power for states like China or Qatar, whether they are directly involved or not.

I think the main reason Fosun have stuck around despite the political climate changing is because Guo sees the soft power owning a club generates for Fosun just as much as the Chinese government.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Summed up here although a bit dated now. Wolves owners only ones left out of these clubs!

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Really dont see the link being made there between football club ownership and HS2 or other infrastructure projects. Besides which all of the large HS2 contracts were let for phase one before there was any Chinese involvement in midlands football and the contracts for phase 2 (which is currently on hold) will be difficult to prise away from the phase one contrators as they were written or at least tendered with the intention that the successful bidder would roll on to phase 2 of the work.

That's not to say of course that there is not any Chinese interest in the project whatsoever, I know of at least one tier one bidder that is privately owned in Hong Kong for example, and Ive no doubt that there is Chinese investment in some of the European based contractors, but nothing from Fosun as far as Im aware.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see why the Qataris might fancy owning Man U: Man C are owned by Abu Dhabi (= the Emirates) who aren't on very good terms with Qatar. So you woukld get a kind of proxy Qatar-UAE 'war' between Yanited and Citeh. And presumably, if this happened, the new Qatari owners of Yanited would have to be different people to the current Qatari owners of PSG. That's where it all gets a bit murky...

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Besides which all of the large HS2 contracts were let for phase one before there was any Chinese involvement in midlands football and the contracts for phase 2 (which is currently on hold) will be difficult to prise away from the phase one contrators as they were written or at least tendered with the intention that the successful bidder would roll on to phase 2 of the work.
It’s not true that all the large contracts for HS2 were let before any Chinese involvement in midlands football. I was working on large scale track works bids as recently as 14 months ago, and one of my previous clients was working on large value systems/comms/ signalling contracts as recently as last August.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I can see why the Qataris might fancy owning Man U: Man C are owned by Abu Dhabi (= the Emirates) who aren't on very good terms with Qatar. So you woukld get a kind of proxy Qatar-UAE 'war' between Yanited and Citeh. And presumably, if this happened, the new Qatari owners of Yanited would have to be different people to the current Qatari owners of PSG. That's where it all gets a bit murky...
I think that they might just pull out of PSG who are a total basket case of a club in a **** poor league. No amount of money appears to be able to change that. Man U would be a far better project for them.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Summed up here although a bit dated now. Wolves owners only ones left out of these clubs!
Given that the UK has fallen out with China, and there doesn't seem to be any way back, I fully expect Fosun to sell up and move on. They did what they had to do to keep us up, perhaps even spinning Julen a line, but I can't see them investing a lot more in the team or in a new stadium.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are no ITK posters. Top Fox knows Jack ****, nothing he says ever happens, if you want to hang on to everything he says, then more the fool you.
Top Fox definitely has contacts at the club - he stated that Nuno was going way before it happened for example - however, the whole thing about developing issues is that not all plans come to pass.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Top Fox definitely has contacts at the club - he stated that Nuno was going way before it happened for example - however, the whole thing about developing issues is that not all plans come to pass.
He stated in that nuno was going at the same time the news was starting to filter through others were talking about it
Everything else has been completely wrong
He’s told us we are being taken over by yanks Saudis and qatar
Our new manager was Peter bosz.

Last edited:

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
He started that nuno was going at the same time the news was starting to filter through others were talking about it
Everything else has been completely wrong
He’s told us we are being taken over by yanks Saudis and qatar
Our new manager was Peter bosz.
To be fair Peter Bosz was only our new manager in late October. Lopetegui had signed and he had contracts in early October.
But yes we have been taken over by half the world and Shi has been sacked at least twice

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is as good as I've ever had it as a wolves fan.
Great but that doesn't mean we should be content to merely stand still.

To do so while clubs around us are evolving and getting better would likely end with us regressing and ending up back where we started in the Champ, which none of us want.

Lop's appointment saved us last season but we really weren't far off from that happening. The original project is dead, FOSUN needs to communicate what its strategy is going forward because all it's been the last few years is a number of poor big money buys in the transfer market.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s not true that all the large contracts for HS2 were let before any Chinese involvement in midlands football. I was working on large scale track works bids as recently as 14 months ago, and one of my previous clients was working on large value systems/comms/ signalling contracts as recently as last August.
Yes I'm working on one of the other systems contracts, or in fact not at the moment as its been on hold for 18 months. I was referring to the large civils contracts which would have been in pre-qual by 2016. But yeah they're are some big lumps of work which have been tendered more recently to be fair but none which I see a Fosun interest in.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I'm working on one of the other systems contracts, or in fact not at the moment as its been on hold for 18 months. I was referring to the large civils contracts which would have been in pre-qual by 2016. But yeah they're are some big lumps of work which have been tendered more recently to be fair but none which I see a Fosun interest in.
I was counting track works as Civils contracts. Agreed that Fosun are not in this market, but other Chinese companies have tried to break in to the U.K. rail market.

Back
Top Bottom