Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Qatari interest?

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pure speculation on my part but just read an interview on the BBC Sport site with PSG's owner. Claims to have last week been informally advising some mystery party - implied they're Qatari - about buying into one big and one small English club.

The larger club is likely Man Utd, perhaps we're the "small" one? How we could do with some petrodollars about now!

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pure speculation on my part but just read an interview on the BBC Sport site with PSG's owner. Claims to have last week been informally advising some mystery party - implied they're Qatari - about buying into one big and one small English club.

The larger club is likely Man Utd, perhaps we're the "small" one? How we could do with some petrodollars about now!

We ain't and never will be “ small “ .

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Put your pride to one side and we probably do seem small to the Qataris and in comparison with Man Utd. I couldn't give a **** if they think we're in the Conference if they stump up the millions we need.

100%

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from developing stadium, in my head Fosun are hamstrung by FFP not cash. JLo has never said cash is an issue but FFP is. So until we generate more revenue or close off some poor transactions in the FFP cycle we could have open chequebook Boehly in charge but still be limited……and you cannot say we’ve not been backed by Fosun in transfers. As for every club some transfers have worked and some haven’t.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from developing stadium, in my head Fosun are hamstrung by FFP not cash. JLo has never said cash is an issue but FFP is. So until we generate more revenue or close off some poor transactions in the FFP cycle we could have open chequebook Boehly in charge but still be limited……and you cannot say we’ve not been backed by Fosun in transfers. As for every club some transfers have worked and some haven’t.
Fosun run the club on a shoestring compared to big clubs. The stadium is a shambles and they blow hit and cold on funding

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really 7th biggest net spenders in the world. Shoestring is utter nonsense.
The business of wolves is run like a corner shop. We have spent on players in splurges but the fabric of the club definitely not

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt Newcastle fans are complaining where the money comes from . Would you honestly now swap places with Newcastle to have a go in champions league. They will but 3/4 decent players not possibilities they may come off types either . Just saying money talks in football that's a fact . Look at man city , Chelsea. Both were drifting before huge investment . We were until large investment by Fosun got us promoted . So shows the only real way to get to the top is spending. Unless you do a Leicester, but they stopped spending and got relegated

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
The business of wolves is run like a corner shop. We have spent on players in splurges but the fabric of the club definitely not
They have spent/invested money and time in the academy and its infrastructure. They have invested massively into Compton. Its chalk and cheese to what it was like before they came.

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Me too, but its difficult to take a moral position on it when you buy loads of cheap stuff made in China and fill your car with fuel from the Middle East.
Those decisions have largely been taken out of our hands. I bought some Yamaha headphones (Japanese company, made in China). SanDisk memory cards (US company, made in China). Kitchen appliances which appear to be by British or American companies are made in China. Sunglasses: you can buy expensive Italian ones, but it's not entirely clear that they aren't using Chinese manufacture these days. It's not just a question of buy expensive or buy Chinese: apart from food it's pretty difficult not to buy Chinese whatever the price.

Last edited:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s true, they’ve put a lot of time and investment in to the training facilities and academy, they’re some of the best in the country.

Yes Molineux would benefit from some investment but the amounts required are massive.

They haven’t invested Harrods levels in the fabric of the club but certainly not corner shop either.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Those decisions have largely been taken out of our hands. I bought some Yamaha headphones (Japanese company, made in China). SanDisk memory cards (US company, made in China). Kitchen appliances which appear to be by British or American companies are made in China. Sunglasses. You can buy expensive Italian ones, but it's not entirely clear that they aren't using Chinese manufacture these days. It's not just a question of buy expensive or buy Chinese: apart from food it's pretty difficult not to buy Chinese whatever the price.
Similar level of control (ie none) as to who owns our football club then. Perhaps it's defeatist but I've decided just to roll with whoever is in charge and enjoy the good times.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In afraid a smaller club would be elsewhere

Ed if they bought united

Under rule 105.1.4, under section ‘Association and Dual Interests’, states that no individual or body should ‘have any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or the management or administration of another football club,’ therefore outlawing multi-club ownership.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In afraid a smaller club would be elsewhere

Ed if they bought united

Under rule 105.1.4, under section ‘Association and Dual Interests’, states that no individual or body should ‘have any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or the management or administration of another football club,’ therefore outlawing multi-club ownership.
He said both were in England so it will be an either or purchase. A backup/ leverage to the Utd deal I imagine.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other club could be sheff Utd? However they can only own one club in England due to the ownership rules so they can’t purchase Man Utd and Wolves for example

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, things like state owned football clubs and things like stadium sponsorships are going to become the norm in football. If we dont move with the times we are missing out on vital income.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s true, they’ve put a lot of time and investment in to the training facilities and academy, they’re some of the best in the country.

Yes Molineux would benefit from some investment but the amounts required are massive.

They haven’t invested Harrods levels in the fabric of the club but certainly not corner shop either.
Its also the real management structure. Its very championship. Far too reliant on shi

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They have spent/invested money and time in the academy and its infrastructure. They have invested massively into Compton. Its chalk and cheese to what it was like before they came.
Yes. In fairness to Fosun they've invested heavily in almost every aspect of the club. That they haven't really done anything with the stadium is mystifying, since it's a potential FFP loophole and a way to generate revenue. I think that draws a lot of attention from fans who see the lack of Molineux improvements as a sign of a poorly run club. But in every other aspect they've improved things.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. In fairness to Fosun they've invested heavily in almost every aspect of the club. That they haven't really done anything with the stadium is mystifying, since it's a potential FFP loophole and a way to generate revenue. I think that draws a lot of attention from fans who see the lack of Molineux improvements as a sign of a poorly run club. But in every other aspect they've improved things.
They clearly don't have the faith, that many Mixers seem to have, in the value of a real estate/entertainment venue investment, in Wolverhampton, in the current financial climate. I would probably back their caution on this one myself. If some public/private partnership presents itself I'm sure it would be considered, but otherwise I can't see any prospect.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One day soon, when we all have Arab owners. we'll be like ****. We've just given the whole of football away the most immoral culture in the whole wide world.

But at least we'll all be top of the premier League..

Just out of interest and genuine question what would your thought be if all were owned by Chinese owners ?

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But Chinese money is OK?
I think one main difference is that our owners are in it for commercial reasons. They have not put money into Wolves to convince us that the Chinese government is a good thing. Maybe some would prefer it if they had, because they might be prepared to throw money away in order to do so, like the Saudis. I don't personally feel guilty about buying Chinese merchandise, but I wouldn't want to just give money to any enterprise that exists simply to promote a regime like China, Saudi, or Qatar, or Russia.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think one main difference is that our owners are in it for commercial reasons. They have not put money into Wolves to convince us that the Chinese government is a good thing. Maybe some would prefer it if they had, because they might be prepared to throw money away in order to do so, like the Saudis. I don't personally feel guilty about buying Chinese merchandise, but I wouldn't want to just give money to any enterprise that exists simply to promote a regime like China, Saudi, or Qatar, or Russia.
A key reason for Fosun buying us was that at the time the Chinese government wanted to increase Chinese ownership of Western football clubs. The commercial aspect was secondary and debatable given how few owners make money out of football.

Back
Top Bottom