Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Put your finger on what we lack?

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We also lack the turnover and consequently profits, that the big clubs have, to compete in the the transfer market, in a sustained manner like the big clubs, and indeed some of our smaller rivals, who compete by selling players.

Wildman

Reaction score
Our best finisher is Hwang, he's stuck out wide whilst should be just off a striker.
Our best attacker coming from deep is Cunha yet hes stuck up front on his own.

We seem to have a team of number 10's, no wingers except Neto and no out and out striker. even Bellegarde is more of an advanced midfielder and not meant to be out wide, yet we wont ever trust him to play centre mid as we keep that purely for ball winners.

Squad balance is awful.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our best finisher is Hwang, he's stuck out wide whilst should be just off a striker.
Our best attacker coming from deep is Cunha yet hes stuck up front on his own.

We seem to have a team of number 10's, no wingers except Neto and no out and out striker. even Bellegarde is more of an advanced midfielder and not meant to be out wide, yet we wont ever trust him to play centre mid as we keep that purely for ball winners.

Squad balance is awful.

Yes, agreed. A lot of players are doing well in positions that aren't necessarily their natural fit, but I don't think we're setting up to get the best out of our current crop.

For example, based on yesterday's starting XI, a fairly narrow setup like Villa's 4-2-2-2 would maybe have worked quite well.

Back 4, Lemina and Gomes, Bellegarde and Sarabia, Hwang and Cunha.

Yet Bellegarde and Hwang were playing very wide left and right in some weird unbalanced shape, with both Cunha and Sarabia roaming. If you look at the average positions, Toti and Bellegarde were almost on top of each other, and Sarabia and Cunha were on top of each other.

If there's one thing this team excels in, it's a rigid structure. Ask them to do something slightly different and it often goes to pot.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is so much agreement on this thread., the January window will answer some big questions . Didn’t Nunes late sale bring in an extra £45 million and save a big salary .

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We consistently buy players that aren't any better than what we already have. I know the last transfer window was an exception, with so many players leaving but other than flashes of good things from both Bellegarde & Doyle, there's nobody we've brought in who's one of the first names on the team sheet. It's absolutely criminal that after shipping 6 & 5 away to Brighton & Arsenal late last season, we bring in a centre back who still can't get into a side who virtually every game concede in the first 30 minutes.
The net result of the above is we're now seriously short of quality in defence and midfield in particular. If we're honest, how many of our starting X1 yesterday would have been in West Ham's?
We lack the ability to defend as a solid unit but also our midfield and forwards collectively often lack the technique to move and receive the ball at the pace the Premier league demands. We therefore often self inflict conceding possession to the opposition, putting even more pressure on our limited defence.
Starting from January, I'd rather bring in one player who improves the first team and becomes a regular, rather than two or three who flip flop in and out of the team at best.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A centre forward worthy of the name-above all (Broja?). A No.10 of quality to thread accurate passes through from midfiield, shoot from distance and do some dirty work when needed. Probably an understudy/competitor to Neto out wide (on loan initially).

If Santi Bueno is not good enough then there is still a CB vacancy. Nelsson/Elvedi?

A better reserve goalkeeper from next summer.

Last edited:

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Pashun!
Everything has probably been said already, but we do lack leaders. Apart from Craig Dawson you could say most of them are very unexperienced of playing PL football week in week out.
Lemina, Semedo and Kilman are the only ones with even a modicum of PL experience, the rest are more or less newcomers.
Most of the new boys could become good PL players, but it will take time.

D

Deleted member 13560twfw

Assertiveness. Confidence. Good decision making skills. These three things I reckon. Listen, we are a good attacking side. Yet, when we are defending. During the West Ham game. Defenders were not making challenges, and were diving out of the way. You really need more dominance, and ability to defend. If you are going to counter attack. In relation to the subject of leadership. I think Kilman can be a great leader. I just believe that the communication isn't there some times. I think we are too nice, and over think things during the games. I don't think it's inexperience. It's just when the players go out there, and they get intimidated by a big stadium and being away from home. When the tactics aren't working. Because 5 at the back would have been better. The marking could be better. I am feeling frustrated after the West Ham game. Because listen. I am nowhere near Compton. Yet, it's okay being a fast, direct, attacking team. Yet, the defence needs working on. Also defenders, are lacking assertiveness to go into challenges, because of previous decisions. If we were more assertive, then, the counter attacks we have. Would be able to be countered by good defensive work, if the team counter attacks back straight away. RE: The first goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
I think we lack someone on the touchline who can spot the obvious and has the common sense to do something about it.

Don't play a back four when your two central defenders have no pace.
Don't play a centre back at left back when you have two left backs on the bench.
Don't pick a guy who never talks to anyone as your captain and then wonder why no one is talking on the pitch.
Don't stand like statues when we have a throw in (forward movement is allowed)
Don't try to play the game in our own penalty box each time we get a goal kick (goalkeepers can kick the ball)
Don't play Bellegarde on the left and wonder why your left flank is constanly exposed when he doesn't track back.
Don't have Cunha and Hwang standing 50 yards from each other when they should be a partnership.
Don't wait 68 minutes to make a change when you are 2-0 down and then decide to bring on a left back.
Don't leave 2 strikers on the bench when your forwards are out on their feet.
Don't forget trying to attack against a team that has just conceded 5 in their last game (and if you do, don't do it again in the next match)

It's a long list. Bentley could have done better with two of the goals at West Ham, but the lack of intensity, lack of direction in the attacking play and numerous players being played out of position is a bigger sign of needs to be fixed.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, agreed. A lot of players are doing well in positions that aren't necessarily their natural fit, but I don't think we're setting up to get the best out of our current crop.

For example, based on yesterday's starting XI, a fairly narrow setup like Villa's 4-2-2-2 would maybe have worked quite well.

Back 4, Lemina and Gomes, Bellegarde and Sarabia, Hwang and Cunha.

Yet Bellegarde and Hwang were playing very wide left and right in some weird unbalanced shape, with both Cunha and Sarabia roaming. If you look at the average positions, Toti and Bellegarde were almost on top of each other, and Sarabia and Cunha were on top of each other.

If there's one thing this team excels in, it's a rigid structure. Ask them to do something slightly different and it often goes to pot.
If we want a back 4 I think we either need to go 442 (with Neto and RAN as the wingers, no real options after them). Or why not 433 but with 3 fairly defensively minded midfielders protecting the cb’s and allowing the fullbacks to still get forward and provide the width? Lemina Gomes and Traore would make a very mobile aggressive midfield 3 that would protect Dawson and Killman.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we lack someone on the touchline who can spot the obvious and has the common sense to do something about it.

Don't play a back four when your two central defenders have no pace.
Don't play a centre back at left back when you have two left backs on the bench.
Don't pick a guy who never talks to anyone as your captain and then wonder why no one is talking on the pitch.
Don't stand like statues when we have a throw in (forward movement is allowed)
Don't try to play the game in our own penalty box each time we get a goal kick (goalkeepers can kick the ball)
Don't play Bellegarde on the left and wonder why your left flank is constanly exposed when he doesn't track back.
Don't have Cunha and Hwang standing 50 yards from each other when they should be a partnership.
Don't wait 68 minutes to make a change when you are 2-0 down and then decide to bring on a left back.
Don't leave 2 strikers on the bench when your forwards are out on their feet.
Don't forget trying to attack against a team that has just conceded 5 in their last game (and if you do, don't do it again in the next match)

It's a long list. Bentley could have done better with two of the goals at West Ham, but the lack of intensity, lack of direction in the attacking play and numerous players being played out of position is a bigger sign of needs to be fixed.
I cannot disagree with any of your above points.
Only critiicism is why such a short list? ;) :D

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At many overground stations piople put our books they no longer want. One such book I found a few days ago was a book called How to win - The Secret footballer. I will look forward to reading it and I would not be surprised at all if wt was not all about the winning attitude of the mental state.
What we need more than anything is a top performance coach more than pure trainers.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At many overground stations piople put our books they no longer want. One such book I found a few days ago was a book called How to win - The Secret footballer. I will look forward to reading it and I would not be surprised at all if wt was not all about the winning attitude of the mental state.
What we need more than anything is a top performance coach more than pure trainers.
All the secret footballer books are a great read, whilst he’s never come out and admitted it, it’s well known that the writer is Dave Kitson ex Reading/Stoke and half a dozen other clubs.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me that not only have Fosun given up but the players have now too.

Back
Top Bottom