Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Preston fan in peace and ale

P

pnefan

Hi Wolves,

Hope everything is going okay and you're finally about to hit a steady period at Molineux after what seems to have been a crazy few months with new owners, managers etc. Preston have been doing rather well since a 5-0 thrashing at Brentford saw Simon Grayson bring in some fringe players who rose to the challenge big time. Since then we've lost only once, an unlucky 1-2 reverse to Newcastle so it should make for a good game tomorrow.

Anyhow the reason I've popped on is to invite any ale loving Wolves to the best pub in Preston for pre/post match beer, a wood fired pizza and a good atmosphere. The Moorbrook on North Road (PR1 1NR) is a ten minute walk to/from Deepdale and about fifteen minutes walk from the railway station (or a £5 taxi). For those in the car/coach/minibus there is a massive car-park to the rear courtesy of a now closed B&Q at £1 for 12 hours.

It serves a great range of ale from all over the UK and beyond with 7 cask pumps and 5 keg taps including its own Blackjack brewed Moorbrook Pale Ale at £2.80 a pint. Also currently on are beers from Thwaites, Sirencraft, Moor, Urban Huntsman, Lincoln Green, Great Heck and Ghost Brewing whilst for those not into their real/craft ale there is the house Belgium pilsner, Thatcher's Gold and Stella 4 as well as bottled German and fruit beers, Peroni red, wines and spirits.

Food wise there are homemade wood fired pizzas from £4 to £6 or £7 with a pint of cask and the usual crisps, snacks etc. There is also an outside bar next to the pizza oven so getting served, even when the place is busy, isn't a problem. For further info see @themoorbrook on Twitter or The Moorbrook on Facebook.

I can also recommend The Guild Ale House on Lancaster Road (PR1 1DD) in Preston city centre which is a microbar akin to Wolverhampton's 'Hail to Ale' serving 6 cask and 4 keg ales as well as a shed load of bottled and canned craft and Belgium beers. It is approximately five minutes walk from the railway station and a good halfway point if heading for The Moorbrook.

Whatever your choice have a great day (bar the 90 mins in the middle :p) and hope to see many of you in either The Moorbrook or Guild Ale House. Or both!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pnefan

Do you work for the brewery? :))

Ha ha, not quite. Just a (more than) regular patron of both and always enjoy mixing with away fans. Our Twitter policeman (@pnepolice) always directs away fans to some crappy student places like The Adelphi or the terrible Sumners as they're easy to police so many visitors miss out on the better ale houses.

D

Deleted member 3518

Thanks for that will hopefully give both a try. Although a regular visitor to Preston (for work) never visited either.

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi Wolves,

Hope everything is going okay and you're finally about to hit a steady period at Molineux after what seems to have been a crazy few months with new owners, managers etc. Preston have been doing rather well since a 5-0 thrashing at Brentford saw Simon Grayson bring in some fringe players who rose to the challenge big time. Since then we've lost only once, an unlucky 1-2 reverse to Newcastle so it should make for a good game tomorrow.

Anyhow the reason I've popped on is to invite any ale loving Wolves to the best pub in Preston for pre/post match beer, a wood fired pizza and a good atmosphere. The Moorbrook on North Road (PR1 1NR) is a ten minute walk to/from Deepdale and about fifteen minutes walk from the railway station (or a £5 taxi). For those in the car/coach/minibus there is a massive car-park to the rear courtesy of a now closed B&Q at £1 for 12 hours.

It serves a great range of ale from all over the UK and beyond with 7 cask pumps and 5 keg taps including its own Blackjack brewed Moorbrook Pale Ale at £2.80 a pint. Also currently on are beers from Thwaites, Sirencraft, Moor, Urban Huntsman, Lincoln Green, Great Heck and Ghost Brewing whilst for those not into their real/craft ale there is the house Belgium pilsner, Thatcher's Gold and Stella 4 as well as bottled German and fruit beers, Peroni red, wines and spirits.

Food wise there are homemade wood fired pizzas from £4 to £6 or £7 with a pint of cask and the usual crisps, snacks etc. There is also an outside bar next to the pizza oven so getting served, even when the place is busy, isn't a problem. For further info see @themoorbrook on Twitter or The Moorbrook on Facebook.

I can also recommend The Guild Ale House on Lancaster Road (PR1 1DD) in Preston city centre which is a microbar akin to Wolverhampton's 'Hail to Ale' serving 6 cask and 4 keg ales as well as a shed load of bottled and canned craft and Belgium beers. It is approximately five minutes walk from the railway station and a good halfway point if heading for The Moorbrook.

Whatever your choice have a great day (bar the 90 mins in the middle :p) and hope to see many of you in either The Moorbrook or Guild Ale House. Or both!

Thanks for the invite pnefan, both sound great places. Been to Hail to the Ale in Wolves a few times myself, but how on earth did you come to know about it?

Wish we could offer similar invitations for away fans, but Wolves does not have much to offer in the way of suitable pubs at the moment. Only one I know which welcomes all, is the Great Western in Sun Street. Ten minute walk down the ring road to the ground. Great range of real ales too.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, after tomorrow of course.

D

Deleted member 4456

I wasn't planning to go tomorrow because I've been ill for the last week or so, but now that I know I can get a ticket on the day I will. I'll definitely pay these two establishments a visit.

P

pnefan

Thanks for the invite pnefan, both sound great places. Been to Hail to the Ale in Wolves a few times myself, but how on earth did you come to know about it?

Wish we could offer similar invitations for away fans, but Wolves does not have much to offer in the way of suitable pubs at the moment. Only one I know which welcomes all, is the Great Western in Sun Street. Ten minute walk down the ring road to the ground. Great range of real ales too.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, after tomorrow of course.

I think they were retweeted or mentioned on Facebook by a brewery I follow around the time of our game last season and I have followed them ever since. The only place we visited in the centre was The Dog & Doublet as the other pub that was recommended to us (I forget its name) greeted us with a big sign saying 'no away fans'. The D&D was decent and served some good ale. Will have to try the Great Western next time we visit.

E

Essex Wolf

Thanks for the info pnefan. Is there any that are very strong and powerful enough to make me see things that aren't really happening? That way I might think Wolves are playing well and won;)

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pnefan

Thanks for the info pnefan. Is there any that are very strong and powerful enough to make me see things that aren't really happening? That way I might think Wolves are playing well and won;)

There's currently Sirencraft Tidal Wave on, a 9% double IPA which after a couple could well do the job! Ale from The Moorbrook has certainly had that affect before, a mate of mine came out of a game having seen North End score late on stating it was 'a decent point'. It seems the opposition's very early goal and resultant 1-2 win had passed him buy due to the 7% pints he'd knocked back before kick-off.

The dark days under Graham Westley meant that kind of affect was more than welcome.

D

Deleted member 3518

I think they were retweeted or mentioned on Facebook by a brewery I follow around the time of our game last season and I have followed them ever since. The only place we visited in the centre was The Dog & Doublet as the other pub that was recommended to us (I forget its name) greeted us with a big sign saying 'no away fans'. The D&D was decent and served some good ale. Will have to try the Great Western next time we visit.

More than welcome down the Stile where a few of us meet-up but a bit of a walk, almost as far as the station to Deepdale!

D

Deleted member 3518

Told you before mate get a proper two wheel mode of transport that won't let you down.;)
Seeing as it sounds a tad unreliable can't you just ride it around the garden?:D

Thought about using the cycle path on the prom, after all most of the cyclists are on the road riding three abreast creating a hazard and traffic jams!!:mad::D:D

E

Essex Wolf

Thought about using the cycle path on the prom, after all most of the cyclists are on the road riding three abreast creating a hazard and traffic jams!!:mad::D:D
Ah pedal cyclists, yes a :mad: from me as well. Damn nuisance more often than not and many ride bikes not roadworthy and as for riding 3 abreast or even just 2 they should have their cycles confiscated and crushed.

P

pnefan

Told it's "studenty" also the Lamb and Packet been mentioned, Moor Park too but described as "rowdy".

The Adelphi is a Stonehouse pub formerly part of the 'Yellow Card' chain, as is Roper Hall down the road from it. Both are very studenty but decent if you avoid the cask ale which is generally expensive and badly kept. The Lamb & Packet is a Thwaites pub but it's likely you'll find it closed as the place is on its death knell and is for sale with permission to turn it into just about anything the buyer wants. The Moor Park is a dump and should be avoided (though looks great from the outside).

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'll have nothing like that from me. Never understood idiots that do that sort of thing and it's probably why it's a lengthy process to sign up to message boards these days.
Plenty of them still manage to get in though. :D

D

Deleted member 3518

The Adelphi is a Stonehouse pub formerly part of the 'Yellow Card' chain, as is Roper Hall down the road from it. Both are very studenty but decent if you avoid the cask ale which is generally expensive and badly kept. The Lamb & Packet is a Thwaites pub but it's likely you'll find it closed as the place is on its death knell and is for sale with permission to turn it into just about anything the buyer wants. The Moor Park is a dump and should be avoided (though looks great from the outside).

Cheers, I'll repeat the invite to the Stile, we have quite a character who usually posts (currently banned, but that's another story!!) who'll gladly buy you a pint, as will I.

D

Deleted member 3518

Ah pedal cyclists, yes a :mad: from me as well. Damn nuisance more often than not and many ride bikes not roadworthy and as for riding 3 abreast or even just 2 they should have their cycles confiscated and crushed.

The Welsh Government spend millions creating a cycle path along the coast, but the lycra-clad terrorists avoid the cycle path at all costs, far too mundane for the Bradley Wiggins wanabees.:mad:

E

Essex Wolf

The Welsh Government spend millions creating a cycle path along the coast, but the lycra-clad terrorists avoid the cycle path at all costs, far too mundane for the Bradley Wiggins wanabees.:mad:
Know the feeling mate as down here in Essex we are riddled with cycle paths. That doesn't stop the idiots swerving all over the road though clearly unaware of much anything other than the front wheel they seem to be starting at as they weave along causing mayhem.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We went in the black horse when we were at Blackburn other week, think that's right name? By friar gate, oldest pub in Preston and one time tallest building to. It said so in the bogs :confused:

P

pnefan

We went in the black horse when we were at Blackburn other week, think that's right name? By friar gate, oldest pub in Preston and one time tallest building to. It said so in the bogs :confused:

Yeah the Black Horse is a beautiful old pub and is the only one in Britain with an entrance on three different streets. Owned by Robinson's so some decent ales on offer too.

P

pnefan

Just to add the United/Arsenal game will be on TV in the back snug.

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
Hi Wolves,

Many thanks for the suggestion of the Moorbrook....enjoyed a couple of excellent real ales and listened to some decent music by outside bar....didn't try the Pizza but it looked fab.

With the £2.50 parking and gentle 15 minute walk to ground I will certainly use this as a base on my next visit.

Cheers!

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Great city, or town as I knew it when I did my degree there in the early 90s. Know every pub VERY well.

D

Deleted member 3518

Sadly never made it, hopefully next year assuming we don't get relegated.

Back
Top Bottom