Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Premier league players have refused a pay cut...

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
So they have refused a pay cut citing a real terms reduction in income tax, and effective funding of the nhs, as the main Arguments.
How do we feel about this?...

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s reported on sky now

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always knew the average top footballer is something of an a hole.
Maybe they are about to prove it beyond doubt in this situation.
They will shoot themselves a major hole in both feets if doing so though..so I´m sure some PR agents is going to correct them..eventually.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
They either refuse to take the cut and instead allow the PFA to take a post tax chunk to distribute to ‘football’ and any clubs cease furlough immediately or frankly this will not play out well. In my opinion.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can understand the pfa statement. All the premier league clubs will survive, the extra cash they would save would go to the shareholders. Staff will still be furloughed. The taxman loses a large chunk, and only the clubs gain.

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally don't understand why there has been a push for them to take a pay cut.

Yes, they're millionaires and you want the rich to help out in times like this but the only people who benefit from this is the owners isn't it? And, they're richer than all the players.

Take us, what do we gain from Moutinho's wages going from £100,000 to £70,000? Nothing as far as I see. Fosun would benefit but they've just recorded £1.6bn profits. Moutinho shouldn't agree to a wage cut just to help them. (Apply this to any club and any player in the Prem)

And, it's irrelevant to the furloughing going on. That's not excusable either, using the same thing. Why should the millionaire sacrifice to help the billionaire?

Also, the players (IMO) are going to play these games and the TV money will come in. So they should be paid what's agreed.

For lower league clubs, it's different. They rely on match day income and paying wages when they don't have that is a problem but many of Football League players won't be in a position to take such a cut so it's a different story entirely.

With the Premier League I think people are using this as a way to have a go at highly-paid footballers, which doesn't need much to get going at all.

In my opinion, they should donate significantly to help the NHS, like I hope I would if I was earning ridiculous money, and it has been suggested that they are willing to do that. But that's down to each individual.

Sacrificing wages to help the ***** like John Henry, Daniel Levy and Mike Ashley is pointless.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sickening.

Many years ago l had a friend who said football would eat itself.

That day is here.

Game over man. Game over!

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First thoughts are maybe the non-playing staff in football should form or join a union. It seems to work for the players.

Is Gordon Taylor sill the highest-paid union boss in the UK? Somewhere in the region of £2million a year including bonuses I believe. I think the PFA gets most of its money directly from the Premier League rather than from its members as most unions do.

I wonder whether the Premier League should play hardball and withdraw its offer to the EFL. If players in the lower leagues start losing their jobs maybe it will force the PFA to have a change of heart. It could be a case of who blinks first.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Whatever happens I hope things get sorted .The last thing we want is a major disagreement with the threat of strike action like there was in the 90’s.There has to be a balance somewhere

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally don't understand why there has been a push for them to take a pay cut.

Yes, they're millionaires and you want the rich to help out in times like this but the only people who benefit from this is the owners isn't it? And, they're richer than all the players.

Take us, what do we gain from Moutinho's wages going from £100,000 to £70,000? Nothing as far as I see. Fosun would benefit but they've just recorded £1.6bn profits. Moutinho shouldn't agree to a wage cut just to help them. (Apply this to any club and any player in the Prem)

And, it's irrelevant to the furloughing going on. That's not excusable either, using the same thing. Why should the millionaire sacrifice to help the billionaire?

Also, the players (IMO) are going to play these games and the TV money will come in. So they should be paid what's agreed.

For lower league clubs, it's different. They rely on match day income and paying wages when they don't have that is a problem but many of Football League players won't be in a position to take such a cut so it's a different story entirely.

With the Premier League I think people are using this as a way to have a go at highly-paid footballers, which doesn't need much to get going at all.

In my opinion, they should donate significantly to help the NHS, like I hope I would if I was earning ridiculous money, and it has been suggested that they are willing to do that. But that's down to each individual.

Sacrificing wages to help the ***** like John Henry, Daniel Levy and Mike Ashley is pointless.
What I tried to say, but you put it much more eloquently. :D

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score

fosun, and other owners, stil have interests that are productive and helping people. Our players are literally doing **** all. Don’t give them the out.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of footballers are doing things, some outside of the spotlight and media.

Players are providing free accomadation to health workers, donating to food banks etc. Danny was in the paper today, Neves a few days ago, doing good things.

Why not introduce a national charity that they can donate a % of wages to? What it generates will show how tight/generous they are.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
How does anyone know what players are doing? Neves Batth have been in news recently, others may not want publicity
Agreed. They (the epl players) should unify heir response and if they choose to, contribute on top of that, it gives out a single message to all fans and allows individuals to go above and beyond if they choose.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. They (the epl players) should unify heir response and if they choose to, contribute on top of that, it gives out a single message to all fans and allows individuals to go above and beyond if they choose.
But a wage cut would only help the owners, a national scheme, where a % of wage could be donated would achieve far more. Then continue into the future, maybe.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
First thoughts are maybe the non-playing staff in football should form or join a union. It seems to work for the players.

Is Gordon Taylor sill the highest-paid union boss in the UK? Somewhere in the region of £2million a year including bonuses I believe. I think the PFA gets most of its money directly from the Premier League rather than from its members as most unions do.

I wonder whether the Premier League should play hardball and withdraw its offer to the EFL. If players in the lower leagues start losing their jobs maybe it will force the PFA to have a change of heart. It could be a case of who blinks first.
He said he was stepping down 12 months ago.He has been in office since 1978-42 years now

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This bit is at least true, because he cannot point at the value he personally adds for bringing in income. He's an administrator, and i'd love to find out one day what his phone-hacking payout was for, that never got published.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
But a wage cut would only help the owners, a national scheme, where a % of wage could be donated would achieve far more. Then continue into the future, maybe.
Agreed Pagey. So , think about this - you’re a footballer on silly money and you know this is a really emotive time. You agree to a 30% cut now so the optics are good and work out how to distibute it. Maybe 10% to lower league 5% to ensure club staff don’t rely on furlough and 15% to nhs. Whatever. What you DONT do is let the message be ‘nah’

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PFA are arguing that loss of tax revenue by wage reductions will be far worse.
Incredibly in their bid to justify they state that 30% reduction will equate to £500m, this will mean loss of tax revenue to HMG of over £200m
By their logic that means prem players are paid over £1.6bn a year - wow, just ****ing wow. I’d never thought about total wage bill, but that is just incredible. I think this is one PR battle that they will lose.

If these clubs employees being furloughed are on min wage that equates to about £322 a week. A player on £30000 a week will (very very roughly) take home £16.5k a week. If after being paid normally, they agreed to ‘donate’ 5% of their take home they would ‘donate’ approx £825 a week - which could pay the wages of at least 2 non playing staff.

If the PFA want to play the NHS and tax card they really need a better angle and PR stance.

I have no objection to people being paid in full (I am, and still working from home) but let’s not argue still being paid millions of pounds to do **** all at the minute, whilst we effectively pay other company employed staff, which allows them to still be paid. They are not in the main coming out of this looking good.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
Great post that sums up my frustration and - I know the club don’t give a **** - but this could see me turning my back on the club I care so much about

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PFA are arguing that loss of tax revenue by wage reductions will be far worse.
Incredibly in their bid to justify they state that 30% reduction will equate to £500m, this will mean loss of tax revenue to HMG of over £200m
By their logic that means prem players are paid over £1.6bn a year - wow, just ****ing wow. I’d never thought about total wage bill, but that is just incredible. I think this is one PR battle that they will lose.

If these clubs employees being furloughed are on min wage that equates to about £322 a week. A player on £30000 a week will (very very roughly) take home £16.5k a week. If after being paid normally, they agreed to ‘donate’ 5% of their take home they would ‘donate’ approx £825 a week - which could pay the wages of at least 2 non playing staff.

If the PFA want to play the NHS and tax card they really need a better angle and PR stance.

I have no objection to people being paid in full (I am, and still working from home) but let’s not argue still being paid millions of pounds to do **** all at the minute, whilst we effectively pay other company employed staff, which allows them to still be paid. They are not in the main coming out of this looking good.

But a pay cut will just mean the club pay them less. The club can still claim the wages from the taxman, to cover the non playing staffs wages.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The point regarding the taxable income is valid.

£500m over 12 months works out at just over £9m a week ... If every player was to donate a weeks wages which was then distributed to ensure all non playing staff were paid I'm sure there would be money left over.

Just a weeks wages would pay 1,200 members of staff £2k per month for 3 months.

What doesn't sit right with me is clubs claiming government money to pay staff 80% of their wages when they are multi million pound businesses funded by the common man.

A statement from a player like Harry Kane, Jordan Henderson, Conor Coady, Mark Noble, Troy Deeney etc would be preferable to underline what they as players feel. I used those as examples as being club captains, English and quite media friendly and outspoken.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EPL is full of young millionaire players the clubs owned by billionaires and you're telling me they aren't willing to make any sacrifice for the greater good of humanity?

If this is true my days of following the EPL are numbered as I cannot be a part of such truly rotten behaviour

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But a pay cut will just mean the club pay them less. The club can still claim the wages from the taxman, to cover the non playing staffs wages.

Do they think we are as thick as them......where do they think the furlough cash comes from if not from HMG......the but they are happy for clubs to take it so they can get their full wedge....

This doesn’t sit well with me ......clubs or any other business that takes this option before dipping into their reserves should be invested and made to pay it back if found they had sufficient funds and more to pay staff .
Like a lot of others Been made redundant twice and couldn’t claim anything as had been sensible and had more than the £16k threshold saved ........what’s the difference

Perhsps a mass cancellation of Sky Sports subs would make them see the error of their ways as then they wouldn’t be able to pay the ridiculous demands of player and agents

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EPL is full of young millionaire players the clubs owned by billionaires and you're telling me they aren't willing to make any sacrifice for the greater good of humanity?

If this is true my days of following the EPL are numbered as I cannot be a part of such truly rotten behaviour
But players are making sacrifices, and doing good things.

Zaha at Palace has given NHS workers the FREE use of 50 properties in London, so they can minimise the risk of contamination to their families.

Players are donating all the time, some want to be praised, some not.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah that was my point - if they wanted to pay in full, that’s fine. But the players (or by the PFA statement) are concerned as to £200m less tax.
If they pay in full but all players agree to ‘donate’ 5% to pay non playing staff a player on £30k would be able to cover the wages of at least 2 non playing staff.
Very similar to one of your posts. Would certainly show who actually cared or were concerned about society in general.

this same sort of thing irritates me every year when we have sports/comic relief/ children in need. All fantastic brilliant causes, that we expect joe public to pay for. What do the multimillionaire participants and presenters donate? Truer time for nothin.... for nothing I tell you. Give them all a ****ing sainthood.

bloody high up here on this oss by the way :D:D

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But players are making sacrifices, and doing good things.

Zaha at Palace has given NHS workers the FREE use of 50 properties in London, so they can minimise the risk of contamination to their families.

Players are donating all the time, some want to be praised, some not.

I am not talking about players as individuals I am talking about the corporate entities the are behind the EPL and its clubs. The EPL is awash with money there is no excuse for going cap in hand to the government while players are living in absolute luxury and driving flash cars. Its a disgrace

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
this same sort of thing irritates me every year when we have sports/comic relief/ children in need. All fantastic brilliant causes, that we expect joe public to pay for. What do the multimillionaire participants and presenters donate? Truer time for nothin.... for nothing I tell you. Give them all a ****ing sainthood.

Have this argument with my Mrs every now and then, and use the give a fish/ teach to fish analogy to try to explain to her.

I've only got limited funds to donate to charity, and do so monthly. But if I can spend a day doing something to raise more than I could donate, surely that day I donated should be celebrated?

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have this argument with my Mrs every now and then, and use the give a fish/ teach to fish analogy to try to explain to her.

I've only got limited funds to donate to charity, and do so monthly. But if I can spend a day doing something to raise more than I could donate, surely that day I donated should be celebrated?
Do agree 100%, but you never actually here about the celebs donating on these occasions do you. Being a bit of a lefty really - how much money do you actually need?? if I had personal wealth of £200 in the bank at a time like this I would gladly give at least half of that to those that needed it. Pretty sure my lifestyle would still be pretty good even given away half of my personal fortune*

* for clarity I have no personal fortune

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John Nicholson on Twitter

One premier league footballers take on things. Top man

The football industry is ridiculous. It’s absolutely obscene and we are all partly to blame for blindly accepting that 100k a week is fair and continuing to buy season tickets and sky and crappy £70 shirts.

Since 1992 the fa cup has been ruined, finishing 7th is now treated as a massive achievement, the grounds are sterile and we just nod along.

Most footballers are decent people, the industry is a ****ing disgrace.

It’s one big joke and we’re the clowns.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I read last week Barcelona players are taking a 70% pay cut, and then ALSO contributing to the non playing staff, to ensure they get paid.

Don't know if other Spanish sides are doing similar

Back
Top Bottom