Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Premier League - can the yo yo continue?

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southampton were 4-1 down at half time after being 4-0 down, well on track to beat Derby's record.

What can happen when a League 1 side wins back to back promotions - see Norwich City.
What should happen when a League 1 side wins back to back promotions - Southampton.

Yes they played well in stages against the Manchester teams, yes the starting fixture list has been unkind.

But is this going to be par for the course for any other teams that go up? A season or two in the sun and then straight down with a season of performances like us last year?

If you consider that it wouldn't be unreasonable to write off the top 9 places with Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland (I've not included Villa for now), there's then another 3 or 4 who've been ever present for the last few years (Fulham, Stoke), a few more who usually end up in a relegation scrap (Wigan), a couple who've yo-yo'd (Albion, west ham) and Southampton/Reading who've not been seen in a few years.

Basically, Is it going to get even more difficult to get promotion and become an established club? Bolton and Blackburn weren't exactly suffering second season syndrome but came down with us and even the Championship isn't exactly full of small names, the Leeds and Forests of the division would stake a claim to 'belonging' in the top flight.

I think from memory there's only a third of the championship who haven't played in the modern Premier League setup, and several who used to have fallen into League One and League Two.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we currently sit second bottom of our league ;)

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, Southampton have had a very tough start to the season, 3 games out of 4 against Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal. Albeit, Wigan are also a brilliant side now in my opinion.

albell

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
top half champ no weaker than bottom 1/3 of the prem

I can't agree with that. With the exception of a couple of teams each year I still think there is a significant gulf between the prem and the champ.

T

TREASURE WOLF

when teams such as bolton and blackburn overspend to stay up, eventually they cant continue that, they cant afford quality signings and their teams get older and subsequently suffer in the results department. we seemed to stagnate once we'd survived, if we had found some new talent cheaply from abroad to compliment our better players then maybe we could have prospered but that wasnt the managers thinking, it was cheap, british isles players, maybe that was coming from the wage policy i dont know. 3 teams go down from the prem every season and often there is a team you dont expect like newcastle, the promoted teams last year did very well, i think if the teams gaining promotion are good footballing sides they can survive with good additions, we are in transition and i fully expect us to be challenging in the play offs, too early to say if stale can get them firing to automatic

Back
Top Bottom