Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Portuguese contingent

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I say to fans of other clubs who try to fling mud on that topic is…… Why does it matter?

We don’t have any/ many more non-English players in our starting XI than a lot of clubs. We just happen to have lots of Portuguese players. Internationals at that.

Reckon most teams would be happy to see Sa, Semedo, Moutinho, Neves, Neto, and Nunes in their starting lineup if they were offered it, save for perhaps the top 4, maybe top 6.

Exactly this...
I'd a Liverpool mate and a friend who supports Arsenal comment on it this week. Then told them we had as many foreigners in our lineup last weekend as them.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last season Brentford made a record, that was mentioned here. Never before had 7 Danes played for the same PL team.

Now I know they dont have many Danes as we've Portuguese players, and I know they rarely play that many.

Yet its interesting that to most people, it's never really mentioned that they seem to attract a large contigent of the same nationality.

Could it because everybody has a lot of sympathy for Brentford? Could it be because Mendes isn't involved? (Other agents are, but that seems unimportant( or could be because some fans are jealous at the qualifying of players we get? That was certainly the case with Nunes.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
I for one am proud of our Portuguese Contingent. My kids wear Portugal shirts with Moutinho and Neves on the back. Our affinity to Portugal will last for many years now I have no doubt.

Little known fact, but Portugal are our oldest allies. The the Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373 is the oldest treaty in Europe.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst Portugal continue to be one of the best footballing nations I have no concerns about having as many of their stars in our squad.

Many of those who’ve come seem to speak English, they tend to integrate themselves into the local community (something that some of our domestic born players can’t/won’t do) and all seem consummate professionals.

Back
Top Bottom