Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Portuguese contingent

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no doubting the quality of Portuguese players and it's clear we have good links with Mendes.

I don't really care what other fans say with regards to us signing more providing they suit our team/style/intended formation... but deep down I would like a few more different nationalities.

How do others feel about having a large contingent of players from one country?

I'd assume this can do wonders for the dressing room but could it also alienate other team members?

Having plenty of Portuguese players definitely has pulling power to bring in more, but could it also have the opposite effect should one of them leave?

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me tbh. Aren't we getting to the point where we need home grown around the squad?

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can see from the nunes BTS video how much they all get on and that they are a good bunch. Why would you not sign them when they are all super professional and talented.

I don’t like him as a person but I think ronaldo has been a very good influence on how Portuguese footballers behave in terms of how they look after themselves.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The nationality is of no consequence to me. I am more interested in the players character. Ambitious, professional family men like the Portugese/Mexican/Spanish contingent seem to have a more grounded maturity which I find a breath of fresh air. What I care less for are the young single fellas who are more pre-occupied with gangland culture, fashion and making social media statements to impress their entourage.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think you're right - could be a double-edged sword - i.e. great if you're part of the Portuguese group, but perhaps not so great if you're not, unless you've got your own group of friends etc.
I guess it's OK for UK players who probably have their own mates and family around, but what about players like RAN, Hwang and Traore who aren't from UK but also aren't Portuguese - are they invited/involved too...?

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ambitious, professional family men like the Portugese/Mexican/Spanish contingent seem to have a more grounded maturity which I find a breath of fresh air. What I care less for are the young single fellas who are more pre-occupied with gangland culture, fashion and making social media statements to impress their entourage.
This is a very good point

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When FOSUN took over, it could have been any country that most of our players were from. At the time, I didn't think anything positive or negative about Portugal, but I'm really glad it was that country now. I love having so many Portuguese players here! It really helps when watching International football too as I do see Portugal as an extension of Wolves.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I say to fans of other clubs who try to fling mud on that topic is…… Why does it matter?

We don’t have any/ many more non-English players in our starting XI than a lot of clubs. We just happen to have lots of Portuguese players. Internationals at that.

Reckon most teams would be happy to see Sa, Semedo, Moutinho, Neves, Neto, and Nunes in their starting lineup if they were offered it, save for perhaps the top 4, maybe top 6.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I say to fans of other clubs who try to fling mud on that topic is…… Why does it matter?

We don’t have any/ many more non-English players in our starting XI than a lot of clubs. We just happen to have lots of Portuguese players. Internationals at that.

Reckon most teams would be happy to see Sa, Semedo, Moutinho, Neves, Neto, and Nunes in their starting lineup if they were offered it, save for perhaps the top 4, maybe top 6.

I suppose I should add Guedes. But time will tell on that one.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn't matter where they are from it's if they are any good that really matters.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think the loss of Coady, as an English player, as the key figure in the dressing room might weaken the unity of the whole group in the long term. We don't have to have an English player as captain, but we could perhaps do with a little more variety in the nationalities. Lage's poor English won't help with using English as the one clear language among all players.

Under the present constellation, we are essentially set to only ever have the Iberian market from which to recruit head coaches.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no doubting the quality of Portuguese players and it's clear we have good links with Mendes.

I don't really care what other fans say with regards to us signing more providing they suit our team/style/intended formation... but deep down I would like a few more different nationalities.

How do others feel about having a large contingent of players from one country?

I'd assume this can do wonders for the dressing room but could it also alienate other team members?

Having plenty of Portuguese players definitely has pulling power to bring in more, but could it also have the opposite effect should one of them leave?
If they are good players, good people and win us something I don’t care where they’re from. We can have a full Portuguese 11 with a Portuguese manager, CEO, tea lady.

The sad thing I seem to warm to and have more respect for these Portuguese lads than most young English players to be honest.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The nationality is of no consequence to me. I am more interested in the players character. Ambitious, professional family men like the Portugese/Mexican/Spanish contingent seem to have a more grounded maturity which I find a breath of fresh air. What I care less for are the young single fellas who are more pre-occupied with gangland culture, fashion and making social media statements to impress their entourage.
Don't seem to be any dick heads either.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love em and thanks for coming to Wolverhampton to share our dreams and hopefully make them real. There was a moment in last season's interviews when Neves made a comment about attitude and professionalism in the squad, the expectations made of new players to contribute to their best. I believe that our players love being at Wolves and that they always give their best. Even those we/I get annoyed with , like Hwang, they always seem to give 100%.
We had our promotion; we consolidated and came close to FA Cup glory; this feels like the next stage in our journey.
I love these portugeezers.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think the loss of Coady, as an English player, as the key figure in the dressing room might weaken the unity of the whole group in the long term. We don't have to have an English player as captain, but we could perhaps do with a little more variety in the nationalities. Lage's poor English won't help with using English as the one clear language among all players.

Under the present constellation, we are essentially set to only ever have the Iberian market from which to recruit head coaches.
I wouldn't say Lage's English is poor but agree it could be better. Sometimes it seems he thinks in Portuguese and then has to put it into English.

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't see too many egos in any of our players and it seems they all get on well regardless of nationality. We have something good in place which as served us well. Other teams fans will be looking on which says we are doing something right. Fernando Santos will be pleased. He will be able to run the rule over half of his team from the comfort of his seat in the Billy Wright

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Lage's English is poor but agree it could be better. Sometimes it seems he thinks in Portuguese and then has to put it into English.

It's a good job some of our Portuguese lads speak excellent English and could translate if necessary should Bruno struggle to get his message across

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It is something that’s crossed my mind several times. Whilst I can see the good, I can also the potential problems it could bring.

Bruno for example, will have to very strong in not showing bias and his team selection needs to be made on merit and nothing else. Just a guess but I do wonder if Adama feels (rightly or wrongly) that he has sometimes fallen foul of favouritism.

On the positive side, all the Portuguese players seem to have very friendly personalities, a good attitude and are very down to earth. One exception perhaps but that is only my perception and I won’t name, names.

Compare this approach, with having players of too many different nationalities and I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

When you watch the videos of Wolves players doing different activities, they are always smiling and seem to be having fun, (admittedly they wouldn’t release one that showed anything different) but I can’t imagine a lot of other teams having that togetherness and genuinely getting along with each other.

Either way, I suppose it comes down to man management really. There are many examples of teams with mixed nationalities doing very well (City, Chelsea) and examples of some that on paper, have the players but have very much underachieved
(Man U being the obvious one) probably because they have not acquired the right manager.

Tricky one, as in putting all the eggs in one basket but it’s been the model that has got us where we are so it can’t be too bad.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not sure Bruno’s English is poor, he talks more than Nuno so it’s more noticeable when speaking when his English isn’t perfect. To me it makes more sense to get players from one country than from a number of different countries as it helps new player settle, they have common cultural references and a common language when they first arrive. It’s far easier to settle in a foreign country if you surrounded by that familiarity than with complete strangers with nothing in common. The Portuguese seem to travel well as well whereas over the years Italians, like British players have often not settled.

Fosun chose Portugal as it was a relatively untapped market that was producing high quality players. Most clubs were looking at Spain, France, Holland, Scandinavia so we had a relatively free run with an Agent who was well connected in Portugal.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found it quite telling that when Guedes was being shown around Compton, I heard someone (it may have been Jorge) say “around here, it’s English”.
So despite a large Portuguese contingent, it appears they’re very respectful that they’re working in a different country and respectful that their Co-workers speak a different language.
I was once a manager in the NHS and it was extremely problematic if there were two or three French or Spanish speakers for example, on the wards and they’d start speaking across a patient’s bed in their home language. It was dealt with by having a quiet word with them about speaking English around patients and other staff. However, it soon became a disciplinary issue.
Respect given, where respect is earned and where respect is due!

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

That is a very good point and it had crossed my mind. If Bruno doesn’t work out, where do we go next? Bringing in a manager of a different nationality, could come with a whole host of difficulties and consequences.

Wolves2018

Reaction score
Some of the most professional wolves players in our history, nationality is irrelevant to me, they love the club more than some homegrown, could compare MGW to Neves in this statement... when our academy gets up to scratch with the bigger teams then we can start to filter through homegrown talent that competes, at the moment all the better homegrown players are scooped up by the bigger teams as mentioned. I'm happy with the Portuguese model without the british tax, got to compare (add ons included) we've basically swapped nunes for MGW with same value for money and I would prefer nunes in my team. All my opinion of course.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is worth bearing in mind that in spite of all of the political upheaval over the last few years, the UK and Portugal have excellent historical relationships.

This one goes back to the 14th century, so it’s not as if we are making deals between countries who are not familiar with one another.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you're right - could be a double-edged sword - i.e. great if you're part of the Portuguese group, but perhaps not so great if you're not, unless you've got your own group of friends etc.
I guess it's OK for UK players who probably have their own mates and family around, but what about players like RAN, Hwang and Traore who aren't from UK but also aren't Portuguese - are they invited/involved too...?

We always have at least a few Spanish (Adama, Mosquera, Jonny) and french speakers (Boly, RAN maybe a few others ) and once they have been here a while they develop good English. Not sure about Hwang and other languages he speaks but I'm guessing his English must be decent as he seems to fit in well with training and laughs and jokes with the others. The non English contingent seem to pick up other languages easier as they are more likely to play in other countries and their education system values it.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this our most Portuguese starting 11 yet??

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is worth bearing in mind that in spite of all of the political upheaval over the last few years, the UK and Portugal have excellent historical relationships.

This one goes back to the 14th century, so it’s not as if we are making deals between countries who are not familiar with one another.

I bet they knew back then we'd likely sign Nunes

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of the other supporters moaned when Mick had a team with Irish and Celtic players in it.

Weren’t considered a threat to them then though.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care what nationality, colour, race, or creed they are as long as they do a good job for the team.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do sometimes wonder if it all gets a bit too "comfy" for them.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
It is something that’s crossed my mind several times. Whilst I can see the good, I can also the potential problems it could bring.

Bruno for example, will have to very strong in not showing bias and his team selection needs to be made on merit and nothing else. Just a guess but I do wonder if Adama feels (rightly or wrongly) that he has sometimes fallen foul of favouritism.

On the positive side, all the Portuguese players seem to have very friendly personalities, a good attitude and are very down to earth. One exception perhaps but that is only my perception and I won’t name, names.

Compare this approach, with having players of too many different nationalities and I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

When you watch the videos of Wolves players doing different activities, they are always smiling and seem to be having fun, (admittedly they wouldn’t release one that showed anything different) but I can’t imagine a lot of other teams having that togetherness and genuinely getting along with each other.

Either way, I suppose it comes down to man management really. There are many examples of teams with mixed nationalities doing very well (City, Chelsea) and examples of some that on paper, have the players but have very much underachieved
(Man U being the obvious one) probably because they have not acquired the right manager.

Tricky one, as in putting all the eggs in one basket but it’s been the model that has got us where we are so it can’t be too bad.
Great post. Just to add that we appear to have been very thoughtful in recent years about the fuller picture of life in Wolverhampton for young pros. Once upon a time, when we would take on a foreigner such as Villazan, Al Jaber, Dowe, I don't think we realised that it's not just a case of unpack your suitcase, learn English and fit in. We have a few French, Spanish and obviously Portuguese background players. Makes me wonder about Cutrone, Hoever, Hwang and the young Chinese lad Dongda He (sp?).

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are good bits and bad bits .
But I think the good bits far outweigh the bad bits .
With some intelligence those bad bits can be eradicated .
For me the only downside is we have an imbalance of technically gifted small players .
Palace have a lot of big physical Africans and Burnley had big physical Europeans . We didn’t do well against them .

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
There are good bits and bad bits .
But I think the good bits far outweigh the bad bits .
With some intelligence those bad bits can be eradicated .
For me the only downside is we have an imbalance of technically gifted small players .
Palace have a lot of big physical Africans and Burnley had big physical Europeans . We didn’t do well against them .
When the Spurs and Wolves players were waiting to come out of the tunnel yesterday, my daughter commented how much bigger the Spurs players looked compared to ours. Think it was sparked by the sight of Ruben standing next to Harry Kane, obviously. I said our Portuguese players are of a slighter build, that's how Portuguese people generally are, the difference was noticeable up front at times after the game started.

Last edited:

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stan Collymore had a bit in his column today about Wolves' relationship with Mendes and how we should wean ourselves away from him. Well, it's six years and counting and so far it's been great. Not every transfer has worked, but in the main, it's been successful. I know not every business should be dependent on one supplier, so we should look to improve our non-Mendes recruitment, but signing players like Guedes and Nunes this summer are no-brainers.

Who knows who we might get in the future? Portugal produces so many talented players.

If anything Guo Guangchang should be getting Mendes to expand Gestifute into other territories so Wolves can benefit from it.

Back
Top Bottom